• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

WWF pushed the hell out of Shamrock's UFC background, even if pre-crazy Shamrock was a bit of a goober on the mic. He earned his stripes by getting fucking ROCKED by Vader in their first match.

notworksafe

Has the WWE Network been running like crap for anyone else? PS4, PS3 and Xbox One. It starts and stops constantly. It's been like this for at least a week.

Netflix is fine so I assume it's not my connection/internet/whatever... but I don't really understand how these things work soooo... >_>

Oh, actually, I think it was fine when I played the latest NXT. Is it that I'm trying to watch unpopular content (SNME)? If that's what it is, WWE is the worst. Why even offer that content?

Yeah, same issues when I try and watch old Raws. But when I watch Wrestlemanias, no issue. I'm on PC though.

Just listen to the lack of pops for those legit ass suplexes. Today's Borkplexes would be no sold by the Attitude Era crowds.
Watching attitude era matches are really bringing my opinion down of the era. It's about 60% brawling, with some moves sprinkled in. Ruthless Aggression > Attitude.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Watching attitude era matches are really bringing my opinion down of the era. It's about 60% brawling, with some moves sprinkled in. Ruthless Aggression > Attitude.

2000/2001 are Attitude era and probably have the best overall wrestling product of any North American product ever.

In in JCP/WCW's best wrestling years either their main card or their undercard wrestlers sucked, depending on when exactly it was.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
2000/2001 are Attitude era and probably have the best overall wrestling product of any North American product ever.

In in JCP/WCW's best wrestling years either their main card or their undercard wrestlers sucked, depending on when exactly it was.

feh, ain't no 2002 WWE or 1992-1993 WCW.. And I will always state calling anything after 99 'Attitude Era' is HUGELY stretching it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
feh, ain't no 2002 WWE or 1993 WCW.. And I will always state calling anything after 99 'Attitude Era' is HUGELY stretching it.

There's always wiggle room but as far as I'm concerned the New Generation ends at Wrestlemania XIV and the Attitude Era ends at the Invasion PPV.

So what's everyone's predictions for the New Japan Cup tonight? I could see any of the four winning it, but if I had to guess I'd pick Goto probably.

I don't want Goto winning it, because I can't see him defeating either Nakamura or Styles for their respective titles and he's already failed 3 title shots he got from prior New Japan Cup wins. Makabe winning it to set up a NEVER rematch with Ishii seems a possibility, but I think that'd be a big let-down. Naito & Ibushi seem most likely, either getting their hands on the Intercontinental title would be good for them, but I have an inkling that Naito's going to win and then challenge Styles for the Heavyweight title - bearing in mind that they need a main event to sell out Ryogoku next month, only Naito vs Styles or Ibushi vs Nakamura would fit the bill, assuming they don't just give the main event over to a Tanahashi vs Styles rematch.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The arrival of the wrestler's wrestlers(Radicalz, Taz, and Angle) and the brand split are what I consider the flip into the Ruthless Aggression and everything from there is just the Attitude teetering away.

It's like when people cite angle for Attitude Era. Angle's the next generation over. Sure he was there, but he felt like he belonged in the brand split era. Not the Attitude one. Kinda like Bret in the Golden Age vs Bret in the New Generation.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think giving a short era designation to the Invasion is helpful because the product is wildly different from that moment on but not quite full on brand split until Flair shows up.

Paracelsus

feh, ain't no 2002 WWE or 1992-1993 WCW.. And I will always state calling anything after 99 'Attitude Era' is HUGELY stretching it.

Some say WMXVII, some say Armageddon 2000, to me personally the AE ended with Fully Loaded 99. After which, it felt like a beta testing of the ruthless aggression era, now featuring The Rock.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Some say WMXVII, some say Armageddon 2000, to me personally the AE ended with Fully Loaded 99. After which, it felt like a beta testing of the ruthless aggression era, now featuring The Rock.

It still feels the same even after Russo leaves and Austin gets injured and doesn't really change until the Invasion happens, when things get really out there.

Though to go on pure feeling sort of messes up my assertion that the New Generation doesn't end until convicted rapist Tyson shows up.

I don't want Goto winning it, because I can't see him defeating either Nakamura or Styles for their respective titles and he's already failed 3 title shots he got from prior New Japan Cup wins. Makabe winning it to set up a NEVER rematch with Ishii seems a possibility, but I think that'd be a big let-down. Naito & Ibushi seem most likely, either getting their hands on the Intercontinental title would be good for them, but I have an inkling that Naito's going to win and then challenge Styles for the Heavyweight title - bearing in mind that they need a main event to sell out Ryogoku next month, only Naito vs Styles or Ibushi vs Nakamura would fit the bill, assuming they don't just give the main event over to a Tanahashi vs Styles rematch.

I don't know how you sell Naito/Styles when Styles beat him clean two months ago at the Dome. I think Naito is least likely to win actually. Ibushi would be my second choice. I could see he and Styles main eventing that Ryogoku show.

klonere

Banned
I think my favorite part of the 1997 stuff so far me and Sibersk Esto have been going over recently (apart from the obvious stuff) is how Brett gets the Hart Foundation (back?) together. Seemed to make so much sense and felt very organic with him intervening in the tag team breakup of Owen and Bulldog. Really cool heel faction. The Nation vs Ahmed is dragging a bit for me though but I am a huge Ahmed fan, dude is badass. Two great factions running at once while current day WWE has nothing!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know how you sell Naito/Styles when Styles beat him clean two months ago at the Dome. I think Naito is least likely to win actually. Ibushi would be my second choice. I could see he and Styles main eventing that Ryogoku show.

Styles has beaten just about everyone clean since his arrival. Ibushi can't beat Nakamura and Styles can. Okada can't beat Tanahashi and Styles can. Naito is the closest thing AJ has had to a 'rival' since he showed up in NJPW. And it works for Naito too because of the angle with his jealousy of Okada and Tanahashi.

inb4naitojoinsbulletclub

DMczaf

I think my favorite part of the 1997 stuff so far me and Sibersk Esto have been going over recently (apart from the obvious stuff) is how Brett gets the Hart Foundation (back?) together. Seemed to make so much sense and felt very organic with him intervening in the tag team breakup of Owen and Bulldog. Really cool heel faction. The Nation vs Ahmed is dragging a bit for me though but I am a huge Ahmed fan, dude is badass. Two great factions running at once while current day WWE has nothing!

All leading to Survivor Series Gang Rulz!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's a period of time where The Nation dominates RAW like they were the NWO, only if the NWO always lost and had no real power.

What is Scott Steiner up to these days anyway?

Ring Ka King was his last big wrestling thing. He was a lot of fun in that and would run into the crowd to scare the shit out of people. I'd be willing to bet he'll show up in Global Force Wrestling if he's still able as Jarrett likes to give him work.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's amazing that there was a major promotion whose best top stars in its final year were Scott Steiner and Sid Vicious.

True, by that point they got most of the great guys from ECW/WCW, and they had plenty of great gimmick matches with a strong tag team and midcard division where both the Euro an Inter titles where having great matches for them.

WM 17 is really was the end of the attitude era. Sure maybe somewhere around '99 was the peak, but there was still some transition going on in 2000-early 2001.

Styles has beaten just about everyone clean since his arrival. Ibushi can't beat Nakamura and Styles can. Okada can't beat Tanahashi and Styles can. Naito is the closest thing AJ has had to a 'rival' since he showed up in NJPW. And it works for Naito too because of the angle with his jealousy of Okada and Tanahashi.

inb4naitojoinsbulletclub

I guess I just see that as the least enticing of the options considering we just saw it. I'd much rather see a fresh match-up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I guess I just see that as the least enticing of the options considering we just saw it. I'd much rather see a fresh match-up.

This is NJPW tho

okadatanahashi_zps9a1f832b.png

tumblr_n9ka9jTmKm1ti6gxco1_500.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you didn't watch dying WCW, you can't comment on peoples favorites of that time period. Because out of place, it's a very odd selection but given the writing and insane nature of it all, you found who you could find to like and you liked them as much as you could.

Vince Russo, Totally Buffed, Kronik, Scott Steiner(who is 10/10 in any time period imo so he's an exception), FUNB Hogan, Goldberg, Juvi, Bam Bam, Kimberly(nothing to do with her wrestling or acting ability), Booker T, Stevie Ray.

You made due with what you had.

FyreWulff

What the hell do we call the last 10 years?

Cena Era?

Brandsplit / Draft Era and PG Era.

Arguably, you could say the brand split / draft era actually ended sooner than it did, it just took them a bit to finally acknowledge they didn't have the roster for it anymore.

Technically we could also be starting the Reality Era, where kayfabe barely exists and you had Punk and Total Divas and whatever else as UFC starts to compete more and more

Mike Sanders as Jeff Jarrett Jr was far too much for me during the dying days of WCW.

In hindsight the brandsplit was a great idea, it just ran out of steam and lacked direction. I'm enjoying what I've seen so far in 2002. What I remember of it in 2006 was pretty crap though. The 4 years in between are dark to me, as I never saw them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
HULK HOGAN GIMMICK RANKINGS. Thunderlips and Spence don't count as the ywere in movies/tv shows and that ain't canon. Spence is top tier that's all you need to know.

1. OG Hulk Hogan (like 84 up to Mega Powers breakup)
2. Hollywood Hulk Hogan
3. 2002 Hulk Hogan
4. FUNB Hogan
5. 'Fuck off Sting' old man Hogan in TNA
6. Ichiban Hulk Hogan
7. 'Mr. President Brother' Hollywood Hulk Hogan
8. Cholo Hollywood Hulk Hogan(7 & 8 were only for like a week but fuck you)
9. Terry Boulder
10. WCW Hulk Hogan returns(That's the Wall, brother)
11. Super Destroyer
12. Mr America
13. 1993-1996 Omega Cunt Hogan(including shaved mustache proto-Hollywood Hogan)

2002 Hogan is so damn good, as he seems so humble about it all. His retirement speech isn't on Mark Henry levels, but it's perhaps the most emotional I've ever seen Hogan.

Goto just isn't a top tier guy so losing to AJ isn't going to hurt him any more. Ibushi still has a shot at being one of the people who replace Tanahashi and Nakamura as they go down so I think having him drop another title match would be a mistake. They really should have put Shibata over and had him go for the title at Sumo Hall.

Anth0ny

2000 WWF was insane from both an in-ring and creative point of view

every PPV that year was good-to-awesome with the exception of wrestlemania, which was somehow terrible.

Top Bottom