• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hogan also put over Brock, Undertaker, and Triple H despite 'never putting anyone over.'
ZTgPifK.gif

Both the Hogan/Triple H matches are enjoyable as well.(One from Smackdown and one from Backlash)

I don't have anything against the huckster but let's not pretend his final wwe run was some noble act of altruism~

Where else was he gonna go? What a guy does when he has no power ain't worthy of respect, friends

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
¡HarlequinPanic!;155943997 said:
I don't have anything against the huckster but let's not pretend his final wwe run was some noble act of altruism~

Where else was he gonna go? What a guy does when he has no power ain't worthy of respect, friends

NJPW. This is before the divorce when he was still living off 6 figures an appearance. He could have retired. He's not Ric Flair.

¡HarlequinPanic!;155943997 said:

Perhaps, but I'm watching it all again and things just feel different when you're watching it. He comes across as humble to be back in the WWE and the reception he's getting. He takes more bumps and does more spots in those 12 months than he did his entire time in WCW.

I don't know if anyone else could bring these kind of crowds to Smackdown.
What's happened to the amount of signs at shows? It's like 10% of what it use to be.

A MercMan in every corner! Fuck how was that a selling point... I was thinking that they new to drop this controlling heel corporate leader and put in place a senile McMahon that doesn't give a shot what goes on an it brings about chaos.

2000 WWF was insane from both an in-ring and creative point of view

every PPV that year was good-to-awesome with the exception of wrestlemania, which was somehow terrible.

Makes it kind of fortunate on my part that WM2000 was the first PPV I actually watched at the time so it had nothing else to be compared to.

FyreWulff

Is there a case that Hogan (with NWO) helped elevate Sting to the next level?

Sting was already over before Hogan got there. There was a reason he was the one that was the nWo's rival. He was the Cena of WCW.

Difference is that Bischoff was willing to take Sting off the card for a bit to let people want him back, we had that great build to Starrcade.. then it was all fucked by Hogan's meddling at the last second and the booking that happened afterwards.

(just my opinion)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sting was already floundering pretty hard in WCW before he left. Brown haired surfer Sting wasn't doing shit for nobody.

I believe that was also when he was being a crybaby at War Games.

RP912

Banned
Smh just to think I begged my grandparents to tape Wrestlemania 2000 for me just for it to be overdubbed within 30 minutes :(.

What a horrible ppv.

Two things I wanted to ask:

1. Back then did you notice the lighting was very bright in the arenas? (reference to Paracelsus' links)

2. Did WCW have a "JR" of their own ans Dr. Death basically played as himself?

Alucard

Banned
We got the bank approval for our mortgage today, our house inspection on Thursday went almost perfectly, and today is my birthday. Watching Antonio Inoki vs. Strong Kobayashi from 1974 on New Japan World. It's a good day, friends.

We got the bank approval for our mortgage today, our house inspection on Thursday went almost perfectly, and today is my birthday. Watching Antonio Inoki vs. Strong Kobayashi from 1974 on New Japan World. It's a good day, friends.

w00p House Party at Alucards - theme Lucha Underground.

RP912

Banned
Top 5 live WCW Performances

1. Megadeth
2. Kiss
3. No Limit Soldiers
4. Max Payne
5. ummm.............ugh......The Texas Rednecks

Guzim

remember when every match graphic was the wrestler doing some sort of short 'imma gonna beat you up' that they'd repeat two times and sometimes it just looked awkward

like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7NSEoG_UiY
Haha, yep. It's still awkward and awesome.
HBK. Happy birthday, kid.

::shakes hand::

Alucard

Banned
Watching these matches from the 1970s is a completely different experience. It's very much submission-based grappling. Basically, catch-as-catch-can scientific wrestling with guys trading holds for minutes at a time.

Would a match like this bore people and welcome boos today, or could it work if it's just from time to time?

EDIT: Thanks for the birthday wishes, dudes. Had a bunch of pizza and pasta, and a giant apple pie from Costco instead of a bday cake. Did a potluck bday lunch at our place. 7 adults and 5 kids 2.5 years old or under. Was fun. Everyone's gone now and it's nap time at the Alucard household.

Watching these matches from the 1970s is a completely different experience. It's very much submission-based grappling. Basically, catch-as-catch-can scientific wrestling with guys trading holds for minutes at a time.

Would a match like this bore people and welcome boos today, or could it work if it's just from time to time?

Guys like zack sabre, drew Gulak and Timothy thatcher seem to bringing the style back. Recommend watching the last few evolve shows

Fuck Hogan. Then. Now. Forever.

I agree and disagree with this.

Yes.

I once showed some friends who don't give a fuck about wrestling a Billy Robinson and Jumbo Tsurata match and they thought their headlock battle was sick.

Alucard

Banned
Thinking about it a little more, Bryan Danielson was pretty much wrestling catch-as-catch-can style in the mid-2000s. Some absolutely loved it, others called him boring. More people loved it, though. Got him over as "a wrestler."

Top Bottom