• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

bjork

Yokokishi Reignuso. The ultimate Samoan.

He has to get gold spiky hair if they do this.

I wish WWE would just let guys use their real name.

Unless their name supports their character it's stupid.

Everyone should be a character. I want janitors and policemen and shit. Guy vs guy is dumb when there's no writing to support it. At least with characters, the shit writes itself.

Alucard

Banned
Samoey Joseph looking good before his NXT debut.

1604754_10153099782166328_168829448029415756_n.jpg

Looking forward to seeing his ROH matches.

Also, @BrockLesnarGuy posted this and said "He's back!" Not sure if it's actually Brock Lesnar guy.

CAG6YkpUwAA-LBg.jpg:large

I'm fine with 'fake names' and characters, as what matters is how they perform, not what they're called. I can see it from from WWE's point of view in that they build up this market name for someone and then they just leave to go elsewhere (Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, etc) with all that name value. So it makes sense for them to give a new performer a WWE Name.
At the same time I don't think it hurts an indie wrestler's value at all when it goes from the indies to the WWE and takes on a new name. Chances are the fans of that wrestler will have followed the progression and are looking forward to him appearing in the WWE. Just because they're not called Samoa Joe, or Kevin Owen, doesn't mean they're suddenly no longer Samoa Joe or Kevin Owen. Of course the booking that happens after that can change all of that...

bjork

I'm fine with 'fake names' and characters, as what matters is how they perform, not what they're called. I can see it from from WWE's point of view in that they build up this market name for someone and then they just leave to go elsewhere (Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, etc) with all that name value. So it makes sense for them to give a new performer a WWE Name.
At the same time I don't think it hurts an indie wrestler's value at all when it goes from the indies to the WWE and takes on a new name. Chances are the fans of that wrestler will have followed the progression and are looking forward to him appearing in the WWE. Just because they're not called Samoa Joe, or Kevin Owen, doesn't mean they're suddenly no longer Samoa Joe or Kevin Owen. Of course the booking that happens after that can change all of that...

They got burned on not owning the rights to too many dead wrestlers. It's foresight. But I still wish they were characters and not just dick in trunks.

I hate "job" gimmicks. Like why would a racecar driver be a pro wrestler on the side?

Why would a UFC guy want to be a pro wrestler? Or a boxer? Or a whatever?

Fox318

He has to get gold spiky hair if they do this.

Everyone should be a character. I want janitors and policemen and shit. Guy vs guy is dumb when there's no writing to support it. At least with characters, the shit writes itself.
Guy vs guy is almost always better than character vs character.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just to be on the safe side here, I know it goes without saying mostly, I'm not gonna watch the New Japan show until tomorrow, can everyone make sure to spoiler tag discussion on it? Thanks, friends!

Kaladin

Looking forward to seeing his ROH matches.

Also, @BrockLesnarGuy posted this and said "He's back!" Not sure if it's actually Brock Lesnar guy.

Looking over the twitter, 99.9% sure it is, or someone is really good at faking him.

He's living the gimmick.

bjork

Guy vs guy is almost always better than character vs character.

That's why crowds nowadays hockey chant everything and hijack shows and shit. Character/character was dumb as shit, but at least it wasn't so boring that the paid audience found other shit to do.

I miss the days when wrestlers would die on a monthly basis too, bjork.

You live the business, you die the business. Until the business changes and is what it is now. Living past 40?

Those are at least physical professions

Being a race car driver isn't physical? What about a trash man? Or a prison guard?

Fox318

That's why crowds nowadays hockey chant everything and hijack shows and shit. Character/character was dumb as shit, but at least it wasn't so boring that the paid audience found other shit to do.

You live the business, you die the business. Until the business changes and is what it is now. Living past 40?
That's because nobody trusts WWE anymore.

People trust NXT to put on a show but most fans don't Dunn and Vince to do anything other than push cena or his samoen look alike.

bjork

That's because nobody trusts WWE anymore.

People trust NXT to put on a show but most fans don't Dunn and Vince to do anything other than push cena or his samoen look alike.

Fair enough. Also to clarify, I don't mean character as hokey "yo this is a clown and he's got a midget because clowns! Anything can happen!", but there has to be something to them. Like Terry Funk's a tough texan, Flair was a pretty boy, etc.

Cena having tack-on gimmick stuff like his salute and his walking merch stand makes him uninteresting to me. At least when he rapped, you wanted to see someone murder him for wrestling reasons and not to get him off your tv. Orton was a legend killer, now he's just a dude with Jax arms that is kinda drifting. The best example is probably Kane. He may as well just be Glen.

They got burned on not owning the rights to too many dead wrestlers. It's foresight. But I still wish they were characters and not just dick in trunks.

Yeah there are far too many people playing the same role in current WWE.

Those are at least physical professions

I've been Go-Karting and I can imagine that it's exactly the same as F1 Racing, so basically I'm an expert in this matter; it's physical.

UberTag

I hate "job" gimmicks. Like why would a racecar driver be a pro wrestler on the side?
The main reason they don't do "job" gimmicks for WWE wrestlers any more is that they want to make every guy on the roster into a loser schmuck who NEEDS the WWE to feed his family and won't be able to even get so much as a minimum wage job elsewhere if they were to leave.

So no more wrestling plumbers, I'm afraid. Sorry TL Hopper fans. This dude is overqualified. Only losers can be WWE "superstars".

Hopper%205.jpg

bjork

The main reason they don't do "job" gimmicks for WWE wrestlers any more is that they want to make every guy on the roster into a loser schmuck who NEEDS the WWE to feed his family and won't be able to even get so much as a minimum wage job elsewhere if they were to leave.

We already had big show do that. Make him wrestle in McDonald's gear, co-marketing

Tyson Kidd has tons of character and he is just a guy in trunks.

He also apparently gets plenty of exposure on the diva show. But I don't watch it, so all I know is he's married to Natalya and has some cat fetish. What about that will get me invested in a feud? Is there a wrestler with a dog fetish? Cat vs Dog match?

I'm not sure anyone is honestly suggesting we have Doinks, Big Boss Mans, Escaped Convicts, etc, but at the moment there's far too many shades of grey wrestlers where they're suppose to he Face but act like heels, and heels that don't act like heels but lose.

Most entertaining people in the WWE for me right now:

1. Rusev - Clear character
2. HHH & Stephanie McMahon - Clear characters
3. Seth Rollins - Clear Character
4. J&J Security - Clear Characters
5. Stardust - Clear Character

dream

Ubertag just reminded me of the time 6-time WWF champion Shawn Michaels made a series of bad investments, went broke, and had to get a loan from oil tycoon John Bradshaw Layfield.

Top Bottom