• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Alucard

Banned
Looking good, Cody Hall.

ZtFlR6h.gif

Watched the first Jumbo vs Billy Robinson match. Now that's some goddamn wrestling.

Billy escaping a full nelson;

Q0tnDQq.gif

Billy tries to counter a side-headlock with a cravate, but Jumbo just bridges up and back down into the headlock;

CozwGkP.gif

Billy finally escapes the headlock;

TnGplX2.gif

Alucard

Banned
They were already in bed with one poorly run wrasslin company for a decade.

True enough. ROH's issue is making their stories and characters compelling. Could run into the same issue as TNA where every wrestler sort of feels the same and like a bland caricature. But as a whole, I think they rely far less on the sports entertainment angle that TNA was constantly shooting for. At least ROH doesn't try to mimic WWE, but tries to do their own thing instead.

Alucard

Banned
Man, there's a ton of bad camera work on this New Japan show. At least 6 missed moves right now. I'm at just over the 2-hour mark on NJPW World.

EDIT:

This Yano/Tanahashi "feud" is pretty fun. Super sloppy ending to the tag match involving them on this show, but the result was funny. Thought the crowd would pop more.

Big Show fav 5

1. JeriShow
2. Chokeslaming Angle from an indoor balcony
3. Feud with the Big Boss Man
4. Being in Shane's corner at WM 2000
5. Legendary heel turns.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Big Show was also the first of many to join the NWO for no good reason. Then leave the NWO for a pretty good reason only to rejoin them again for no good reason.

Paracelsus

Big Show was also the first of many to join the NWO for no good reason. Then leave the NWO for a pretty good reason only to rejoin them again for no good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hldz80SxCZw&t=486

Unlike most flash-in-the-pan monster heels, Big Show had everything to become a 20 time world champion, everything except star power, which is outrageous for someone of his size and long lost agility. He won the WWE title twice and he had to steal it, basically.

Coming to think of it, it's kind of the same thing happened to Kane, except Kane wasn't a 7foot, 400pounder.

FyreWulff

Sorta felt like they were trying to hide Show's inability to move fast and do southern rasslin' by making him the muscle for the nWo.

All I know is he was smart enough to jump over to the WWF before they found another Big Motherfucker. Since Vince likes his One Person Per Character Type, his job was decently secure. WCW never replaced his character type after he left.

It's still a shame Aloisia got cut over bullshit. Having a woman in the Andre/Show role would have been a fresh thing and pretty interesting.

144763645.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hldz80SxCZw&t=486

Unlike most flash-in-the-pan monster heels, Big Show had everything to become a 20 time world champion, everything except star power, which is outrageous for someone of his size and long lost agility. He won the WWE title twice and he had to steal it, basically.

Coming to think of it, it's kind of the same thing happened to Kane, except Kane wasn't a 7foot, 400pounder.

Kane at his height was way more popular than Show ever was, believe it or not. They missed an opportunity during the early days of the brand split to turn him into a bonafide main event attraction.

It's still a shame Aloisia got cut over bullshit. Having a woman in the Andre/Show role would have been a fresh thing and pretty interesting.

It's never "a shame" when someone who is crappy in the ring gets cut. The Divas division has enough "Playboy models" left who can't work. No need to have a girl who can't work OR qualify to be in Playboy. Plus, she wasn't even anywhere close to the height she was billed to be.

If WWE wants a tall girl who is legit talented and can work a "giant" gimmick, I'm sure they've got Vanessa Kraven's number.

FyreWulff

You don't need to wrestle as a big person in the WWE. You just punch things and pick up big things and punch people with the big things.

I mean, Show's finisher is a goddamn punch.

You don't need to wrestle as a big person in the WWE. You just punch things and pick up big things and punch people with the big things.

I mean, Show's finisher is a goddamn punch.

But one of your jobs is to be skilled enough not to hurt other people.

Also, Big Show was a legit 7' tall. Even when he was being billed as 7'4" in WCW it wasn't that big a deal. That girl was something like 6'3 being billed as 6'9.

UberTag

The as-yet-unnamed threat and distraction to Wrestlemania 31 viewership...

This just dawned on me tonight.
The most watched episodic television series has a 90-minute finale opposite Mania this year.

WrestleMania XXX aired the week AFTER Season 4 ended. No conflict with The Walking Dead.
WrestleMania NY/NJ aired the week AFTER Season 3 ended. No conflict with The Walking Dead.
WrestleMania XXVIII aired two weeks AFTER Season 2 ended. No conflict with The Walking Dead.

WrestleMania Play Symbol airs OPPOSITE the Season 5 finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday, March 29th. A series that routinely draws upwards of 15 million viewers for its event episodes that is on a positive momentum swing right now up against a Mania with minimal hype, an atrocious build, no compelling feuds and a Roman Reigns coronation.

This is going to be a problem.

The as-yet-unnamed threat and distraction to Wrestlemania 31 viewership...

This just dawned on me tonight.
The most watched episodic television series has a 90-minute finale opposite Mania this year.

WrestleMania XXX aired the week AFTER Season 4 ended. No conflict with The Walking Dead.
WrestleMania NY/NJ aired the week AFTER Season 3 ended. No conflict with The Walking Dead.
WrestleMania XXVIII aired two weeks AFTER Season 2 ended. No conflict with The Walking Dead.

WrestleMania Play Symbol airs OPPOSITE the Season 5 finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday, March 29th. A series that routinely draws upwards of 15 million viewers for its event episodes that is on a positive momentum swing right now up against a Mania with minimal hype, an atrocious build, no compelling feuds and a Roman Reigns coronation.

This is going to be a problem.

Why? They have 1 million plus people locked into a subscription where they can watch it anytime they want. Why do they care who watches it live, they have everyone's money.

That's like saying game if thrones will kill house of cards ratings

UberTag

Why? They have 1 million plus people locked into a subscription where they can watch it anytime they want. Why do they care who watches it live, they have everyone's money.

That's like saying walking dead will kill house of cards ratings
They've got everyone that's locked in right now for their $9.99.
They won't get the casual push from impulse buyers on the weekend of.
Perhaps I'm making a mountain out of a molehill in this on-demand era but I have to think it's problematic.
Especially in terms of retaining a good number of those subscribers who can't even be bothered to watch Mania live because they'd rather watch The Walking Dead with their friends and family.

Bootaaay, as a man of refined tastes, I must ask your opinion: what are 5 matches from any promotion that have the fabled #bigfightfeel

I'm not Boots, but here's one example of "big fight feel" that readily comes to mind for me:

http://youtu.be/A6uWsU4yzFQ

No pyro. No big lightshow. Hell, no rampway, and you can barely hear the entrance music over the screams of the fans.

Basically, a stadium full of people just clamoring for two guys to get in the ring, take off their satin ring jackets, and have a fucking multiple-title match. Doesn't get more pure than that.

Top fave five gimmick matches
1)Ladder
2)submission
3)two out of three
4)street fight
5)triple threat

Top five gimmick matches I'd like to see retired
1)casket
2)ambulance
3)buried alive
4)tables
5)cage (with door stipulation)

I propose that in order to differentiate a street fight or no holds barred match from a no dq match, a no holds barred match can only be won by submission or referee stoppage while a street fight can only end by stoppage.

Hope she did well on her tryout with NXT.
"Attractive chick looks attractive no matter what she wears but pretends to be perplexed by the outfit".

would

I propose that in order to differentiate a street fight or no holds barred match from a no dq match, a no holds barred match can only be won by submission or referee stoppage while a street fight can only end by stoppage.
They should do a towel match, even though I've never seen one, the concept sounds cool and would make since for the Cena/Rusev bout.

Sorta felt like they were trying to hide Show's inability to move fast and do southern rasslin' by making him the muscle for the nWo.

All I know is he was smart enough to jump over to the WWF before they found another Big Motherfucker. Since Vince likes his One Person Per Character Type, his job was decently secure. WCW never replaced his character type after he left.

144763645.jpg

Trust me, she got cut for a reason. I've worked with her many times. She had a fucking shitty attitude and she SUCKED in the ring. She was like the female Great Khali. She couldn't do anything.

Top Bottom