• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Vylash

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1012705

Hope it's not SirPaul, guy definitely has the fastest and best quality releases.

admitting to piracy? i'm watching you, friend

ibnYLzCsjiZ2Ca.gif

RP912

Banned
Honestly I don't think it will unless it's rolled into one service. I think there's value in having it "cross" so to speak. Itching for NJPW World to have NWA and NOAH all in one spot...

Yeah I figure that :(. You got to factor in the demographic that's actually a fan of NWA and majority of those people probably don't even care for streaming, while that certain percentage would jump on the service. The only way the idea would succeed if there was a online wrestling distributor that''ll be like 'fuck it, I'm creating an all wrestling stream", where indy promotions and historic promotions like NWA put their videos on demand for hardcore wrestling fans to view.

It would be glorious but unrealistic. This is why I miss territories because there was a unity despite egos being in the way.

English commentary was a pipe dream, as much popularity NJPW has gained outside of Japan, it's domestic audience still dwarfs the international fanbase.

Yeah, one of the PPVs per month will air on tape delay, which is how it was in the first month of the service when we got the tag league shows live, but the final was on tape delay - Wrestle Kingdom was an exception, because it's such a huge show. I think they'll probably make an exception for Invasion Attack & King of Pro-Wrestling as well.

Given the time difference, I wouldn't be able to watch the PPVs live anyway, so a delay doesn't hurt that much. It still beats the old days when you weren't sure you could see the shows at all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1012705

Hope it's not SirPaul, guy definitely has the fastest and best quality releases.

Yeah I figure that :(. You got to factor in the demographic that's actually a fan of NWA and majority of those people probably don't even care for streaming, while that certain percentage would jump on the service. The only way the idea would succeed if there was a online wrestling distributor that''ll be like 'fuck it, I'm creating an all wrestling stream", where indy promotions and historic promotions like NWA put their videos on demand for hardcore wrestling fans to view.

It would be glorious but unrealistic. This is why I miss territories because there was a unity despite egos being in the way.

I wonder what laws are in place that you can't be a middleman business that sells the "ultimate wrestling pass" and signs people up for all of them, adds $5 on it so they don't have to manage it (and so you get paid) and keep people with access to everything out there.

hamchan

I haven't seen anything to suggest that - their target for the first 6 months was 10k subscribers and they hit that right after Wrestle Kingdom.

Meltzer reported they were well above their expectations even after the first month and they had that free month recently too. The goal was 30k after the first year.

The only negative thing I read about NJPW World recently was that PPV's were no longer on live broadcast.

I think they announced they had 20k subscribers a month ago. So if they want 30k in a year they seem well on track.

I wonder how HHH felt when he got that gift basket. Must have been pretty emotional.

"I did it. I finally did it.

...they love me."

That's the one thing I wish Landis's "Wrestling Isn't Wrestling" had covered: how Triple H became the darling favorite through NXT.

bjork

True enough, but he has some of the skinnier legs I've seen on a big man. I just think if I was 7 foot I'd wanna build those bad boys up so I don't tear a quad getting in the ring.

You'd think a dude's legs would get huge just from hauling around a heavy 7-ft skeleton, heh.

Aiii

So not worth it
admitting to piracy? i'm watching you, friend

ibnYLzCsjiZ2Ca.gif

I'm not entirely sure it's piracy when you can't have legal access to whatever it is you're pirating.

How can you steal something that technically doesn't exist where you are, you know?

I do, in fact, pay for everything I can come to think of it. I sub to Hulu, Netflix, the WWE Network, NJPW World and a Dutch Pay-TV sports channel for Formula 1 too.

The big drawback of all these online services is that they're fractured. UFC for the first time ever had a PPV on Dutch TV last weekend, but it was on another Dutch Pay-TV sports channel than the one that has the F1 rights, that's a bitch.

I am waiting for the ISP's and content providers to get their act together and offer a flat fee access to online streaming services (preferably worldwide), like cable packages are now, basically. Maybe something where you can pick 10 "interests" and get those services for a flat fee and not the rest you're not interested in.

Anything really that avoids spending money on 100 different subs to watch the shit you like would be good.

jred2k

Smash Wrestling also launched a streaming service for their content. It's $7.49 but they usually have one show a month and not much in the way of a back catalog so I don't think its really worth it. Its cool to see them being ambitious, but they don't have the content to justify it right now. If they could band together with some other indies and use it as a catch all service it would be a lot more attractive.

bjork

I am waiting for the ISP's and content providers to get their act together and offer a flat fee access to online streaming services (preferably worldwide), like cable packages are now, basically. Maybe something where you can pick 10 "interests" and get those services for a flat fee and not the rest you're not interested in.

This is the dream, but it will never happen. Everyone would rather compete for your $10 than partner up for a service and maybe get $3 each from more people, which is a shame.

RP912

Banned
My dream is for wifi to be country wide. Philly was supposed to do that a long time ago but the mayor backed down from the decision.

:( why can't ISPs embrace the future.

StevieWhite

My dream is for wifi to be country wide. Philly was supposed to do that a long time ago but the mayor backed down from the decision.

:( why can't ISPs embrace the future.

I was on Philly's "citywide" wifi network back when I fist moved here in 2007. It was absolutely atrocious. I, for one, appreciate all our corporate overlords at Comcast have done for us.

RP912

Banned
I was on Philly's "citywide" wifi network back when I fist moved here in 2007. It was absolutely atrocious. I, for one, appreciate all our corporate overlords at Comcast have done for us.

:/ :/ Comcast.

I always wanted to use their service until I moved to Savannah and discovered a thing called bandwidth caps.

Fuck them greedy asses.

bjork

I kinda miss Rick Rude.

You could never ever have this kind of a setup today. Every dickhead smark within earshot would be trying to hockey chant into the mic and take swings at Rick. It's a shame, because this is a basic-ass storyline that needed five minutes to set up and they were off from there.

Is TNA in the North East right now? Because I'm 99% sure I matched up with Brook Tessmacher on Tinder and have been talking to her. I'll post pics when I get home. I hope it's not a catfish

Alucard

Banned
Smash Wrestling also launched a streaming service for their content. It's $7.49 but they usually have one show a month and not much in the way of a back catalog so I don't think its really worth it. Its cool to see them being ambitious, but they don't have the content to justify it right now. If they could band together with some other indies and use it as a catch all service it would be a lot more attractive.

$7.49 for Smash Wrestling when ROH's Ringside Membership is about $5 a month and includes a good amount of content in the VOD section? Yeeeaaaah. Mind you, ROH doesn't provide their latest shows for free, but puts them up about a year later.

I'd be hitting the $5 a month mark if I were an indy for back catalogs and the latest shows.

bjork

Are those NWA tapes related to the tapes Jim Cornette has, at all? I remember hearing him being in possession of some rare tapes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
um...guys...a Dreamcast theme for the 3ds is coming?
LwtOdKS.gif

for Smash Wrestling when ROH's Ringside Membership is about a month and includes a good amount of content in the VOD section? Yeeeaaaah. Mind you, ROH doesn't provide their latest shows for free, but puts them up about a year later.

I'd be hitting the a month mark if I were an indy for back catalogs and the latest shows.

I think fan wise, the best thing to do for these is sign up for a month, binge on what you want, then cancel and re-up when there's a decent backlog to get through.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
aye...Sega Saturn was far from a fail...it was misunderstood and came out at a time when Sega was going bat shit crazy.

Saturn>>>>>PS1.

Saturn > PS1
Dreamcast > PS2

Sega always had the upper hand. But the plebs wanted their shitty Sony brand.

Friend Serp Othello, Dudes a beast and has some decent moves. I love listening to Stu Stone. He gets nostalgia when he's on commentary
Othello needs to stop skipping leg day, because damn those are some tiny sticks for that big body to walk around on. I think that dude needs a lot more in ring work before WWE would give him a sniff. Just awful. Stu Stone on the other hand is an awesome indy manager and heel commentator.

true on all counts, but the look!

Stu Stone's great. i think he turned babyface sometime recently though, which is pretty weird. he was still doing distractions and stuff but both times it costed his dudes the match, so that was probably the point.

Alucard

Banned
I think fan wise, the best thing to do for these is sign up for a month, binge on what you want, then cancel and re-up when there's a decent backlog to get through.

As an ROH fan, I'd pay $10 bucks a month if they gave me their entire back catalog and the monthly shows. Right now, I'm paying $60 a year for a decent chunk of their back catalog and some extra discounts on shirts and things that I'm not really using...so I'm basically paying the $60 to watch old stuff on VOD, which isn't a bad deal. I just wish there was more of it.

Top Bottom