• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Toki767

I notice Bryan has been laid out by Wade Barrett on virtually every show the past 3 weeks. He's basically the only guy they're letting Barrett beat up aside from Truth on Monday.

I notice Bryan has been laid out by Wade Barrett on virtually every show the past 3 weeks. He's basically the only guy they're letting Barrett beat up aside from Truth on Monday.

Downtrodden, beaten down Daniel Bryan to overcome adversity and win the belt on the grandest stage of all? It could be!

Shit local Indy update: they have someone I've heard of this month!

o6t9cPK.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
While not announced yet, the people working there are under the assumption a second season has been ordered. They go back to taping on 3/21 and 3/22 and they have tapings ordered past episode 39 (the first season was to be 39 episodes). In addition, El Rey just this past week in promotional materials for the growth of the network pushed Lucha Underground as pretty much its flagship show.

Yay!

Alucard

Banned

Watching last night's episode right now. Really happy to hear this, and hope we'll be able to buy the full seasons of this show on Blu-ray, or have some kind of streaming service/access to them. Maybe some extra content too.

This Drago/Aerostar match to start LU is really good fun.

Konnan and Puma playing chess in the park.

Striker

Has a heel won a match during this whole on-going angle? Feels like any time I pay attention I see Harper, Stardust, or Barrett losing. In the six man tags as well. The title is as worthless as ever.

Alucard

Banned
Really good storytelling even before the match starts. "The man of a thousand deaths versus the man of a thousand lives." Simple but compelling. Something new for wrestling.

Browny

Banned
Big Ryck destroying a fool and a chair.

Also known as: how to use a chair as an effective weapon and plot point, without it being the usual "jab to midsection, smack on back" spot. I remember Big Slow chokeslamming Foley through a couple of chairs at a Wrestlemania years gone by.

Also: good to hear things are falling into place for you Alucard; word of advice - decorate the shit out of the new place while you've got the chance! It's nigh on impossible when there's furniture in there. And let us know how you cope with the newborn alongside your little'un (I may be there in a year or so).

Alucard

Banned
Ow.

And Fenix with the mask almost all gone. Brutal.

Browny, thanks for the advice, man. The thing I'm most concerned about in terms of "decorating" is getting all of our window fixings...gonna be expensive to get blinds and curtains and curtain rods for all of the windows.

Question: Did Raw moving from 2 hours to 3 hours hasten the decline of PPV viewers?

I dropped out from watching wrestling from like 2004-2014 so I have no real gauge on the quality of Raw through that period. Watching Raw nowdays makes PPV's seem way less important as the PPV matches tend to be done 2-3 times on Raw/Smackdown before the PPV even happens. Do you think this is linked to them needing to fill 3 damn hours of Raw?

3 hour Raws and the Generic Set designs and On Screen Overlays have cheapened the marvel of PPVs for me. I really think I'd find it hard to be able to tell what match happened on what show.

Hasney

Also known as: how to use a chair as an effective weapon and plot point, without it being the usual "jab to midsection, smack on back" spot. I remember Big Slow chokeslamming Foley through a couple of chairs at a Wrestlemania years gone by.

Favourite through chair spot:

orton-rko-s-cena-on-a-chair-o.gif

Runner up:

OY7NR.gif

Browny

Banned
Browny, thanks for the advice, man. The thing I'm most concerned about in terms of "decorating" is getting all of our window fixings...gonna be expensive to get blinds and curtains and curtain rods for all of the windows.

They're not included in the sale? Or are you going new build? I thought you Canadians were polite and all that!!

Think of them as investments - they will outlast almost anything else that you buy for the house, so it's worth spending a little more to start with if you can. If you don't fancy fitting them yourself (and I can't blame you), then just get someone to come in - it'll be worth it.

Also, choose your colours wisely - if you're going for plain-ish walls, then have the curtains compliment the biggest piece(s) of furniture in the room (eg sofas, bedding, perhaps rug). I'm still a little bitter about our choice of bedroom curtains!

If you've got standard width windows (you'll know if they are, as they'll appear in shops everywhere), then you can find some great deals online (i.e. you won't have to go made-to-measure). Check the clearance sections - you'll be surprised how much people will discount stuff they want to get rid of (last season stock and whatnot).

Edit: Hasney - I agree on both points. I actually really liked the Stang spot (same as I enjoyed the Big Show foot-through-table spot against Cody).

Alucard

Banned
End of match spoiler gif:
http://i.imgur.com/ybKrZIu.gif

End of match Catrina gif:
http://i.imgur.com/lSlsbCY.gif

What I liked most about this match is that while they used the coffin for a couple of spots, the ONLY time they actually opened it and tried to stuff each other into it was at the very end. I haaaate the contrived "Is he going to fall into the coffin or isn't he?" spots.

Fenix was pretty bloody by the end in this one, and it felt pretty brutal overall. Placing it on my list of personal faves for 2015, but likely not at the MOTY level. Still, damn good.

Alucard

Banned
They're not included in the sale? Or are you going new build? I thought you Canadians were polite and all that!!

Think of them as investments - they will outlast almost anything else that you buy for the house, so it's worth spending a little more to start with if you can. If you don't fancy fitting them yourself (and I can't blame you), then just get someone to come in - it'll be worth it.

Also, choose your colours wisely - if you're going for plain-ish walls, then have the curtains compliment the biggest piece(s) of furniture in the room (eg sofas, bedding, perhaps rug). I'm still a little bitter about our choice of bedroom curtains!

If you've got standard width windows (you'll know if they are, as they'll appear in shops everywhere), then you can find some great deals online (i.e. you won't have to go made-to-measure). Check the clearance sections - you'll be surprised how much people will discount stuff they want to get rid of (last season stock and whatnot).

Edit: Hasney - I agree on both points. I actually really liked the Stang spot (same as I enjoyed the Big Show foot-through-table spot against Cody).

Oddly enough, we're not going to paint...at all. The colours are all neutral and light. The house is basically move-in ready. I'm sooooo happy we won't have to do any painting. Have done too much of it in my life already.

Don't think they're leaving the blinds behind, but maybe some rods. We'll see. I hope they at least leave the rods because I detest putting those things up.

Alucard

Banned
Re-watching the LU grave consequences match. Yeah, this is a 9/10 on second viewing. Good brawling, high intensity, complementary commentary...really great stuff.

Question: Did Raw moving from 2 hours to 3 hours hasten the decline of PPV viewers?

I dropped out from watching wrestling from like 2004-2014 so I have no real gauge on the quality of Raw through that period. Watching Raw nowdays makes PPV's seem way less important as the PPV matches tend to be done 2-3 times on Raw/Smackdown before the PPV even happens. Do you think this is linked to them needing to fill 3 damn hours of Raw?

It's that, the dearth of storyline development (not so bad at the moment but it's wrestlemania), and the generic sets used for PPVs which are almost identical to Raw. The only special thing about the special events are that they feature a greater ratio of matches to promos and often have a few title matches, although even the latter is less true than usual the past year or so.

radcliff

Was it just me or did it look like Kevin Owens put on a bit more weight since the last tapings? His gut was noticeably more pronounced.

bjork

Before tonight happened, what was the best casket match ever?

Was and still is Royal Rumble 1994. It was for the title and there was good build for it, the total bullshit ending that into Yoko's character at the time, and it let them do a rematch at the next year's Survivor Series.

I'm fucking sick of WWE trying to live off the success of the attitude era. Every special on the network is attitude era recaps. Show me some Ruthless Aggression era shit. No one was watching then. We might find a recap more interesting then the 18th montage about HHH invading WCW.

So you're sick of the last 15 years, then. They've never not shown a preference toward dudes and stories from that era, aside from Cena.

WWE should go back to ignoring the Young Bucks like the rest of the civilized world.

Fuck

Anyway, I had a dream that I was in a mausoleum and Stro was there. I have no idea what he looks like irl, so in the dream it was his old avatar of Axl with the Shao Kahn mask, drumming on dead people's nameplates with drumsticks to the tune of some song. So then Axl comes out and goes, "come in here." We follow him through some store that was loaded down with tons of old model kits and stuff, into a fancy restaurant. There's some old white guy sitting at a table with a steak that's basically an entire cow torso, and he cuts me off a gigantic piece that's bigger than a plate, then I woke up. Oh also, prior to the mausoleum I was flying on a hook made out of a metal coat hanger over a Japanese river with these concrete waffles on the sides. what does it mean?

I just fell off the bandwagon after the first five episodes and I don't really know why.

When the show was new, there was a pretty solid wave of "this is SO MUCH BETTER than [league] guys" in here that made me never want to watch it so I don't act like that.

When the show was new, there was a pretty solid wave of "this is SO MUCH BETTER than [league] guys" in here that made me never want to watch it so I don't act like that.

I think that was just initial surprise that the format worked so well, the OTT hype has died down somewhat...now if only NXT fans could drop the whole "NXT is like an indie...but good!" thing, that'd be grand.

Aiii

So not worth it

I love this argument: "Tons of guys were over the top raving about how good this was, so I'll never watch it. That'll show those enthused pricks!"

:lol:

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh, but if it were actually tons of guys, that might be a point.

Even if it's just one guy, why would you not watch a good wrestling show just to show them, when all they're trying to do is spread some enthusiasm for something enjoyable?

Alucard

Banned
Even if it's just one guy, why would you not watch a good wrestling show just to show them, when all they're trying to do is spread some enthusiasm for something enjoyable?

Enthusiasm is sometimes squashed in here. Doesn't matter what it's for. Read almost any reaction to my ROH posts a few months ago.

bjork

The thing about the internet is that it's hard to convey emphasis, so there's a fine line between "wow these guys is really enthusiastic" and "wow these guys are being elitist snob shits." That always rubs me the wrong way. Nothing wrong with being into a show, but is it good on its own merits, or is it good because it isn't [thing we hate this week]?

3 hour Raws and the Generic Set designs and On Screen Overlays have cheapened the marvel of PPVs for me. I really think I'd find it hard to be able to tell what match happened on what show.

It's that, the dearth of storyline development (not so bad at the moment but it's wrestlemania), and the generic sets used for PPVs which are almost identical to Raw. The only special thing about the special events are that they feature a greater ratio of matches to promos and often have a few title matches, although even the latter is less true than usual the past year or so.

Good point on the sets. Really does make a PPV feel cheap as shit when it looks like any other Raw. Really wish they would make an effort, they brought back pyro so please bring back sets!

Top Bottom