• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

JavyOO7

Kojima... MGS1 was amazing. MGS2 I felt was a step down and tried too hard to be what MGS1 was. So I can't say definitely if Kojima sucks until I play MGS3 and on. But if the rest are anything like MGS2... oh boy.

XenoRaven

What instruments does everyone play?

I mainly play bass now but in the past I've played (in order of proficiency) trombone, saxophone, piano.

I mess around on the guitar a little bit and have been considering putting some more work in and actually getting good.

Shimmer 71 line up so far

Ten of the twelve tournament competitors have already been announced for participation:

Cheerleader Melissa
Candice LeRae
Mia Yim
"The Wrestling Goddess" Athena
Kimber Lee
"Best in the Galaxy" Nikki Storm
Nicole Savoy
Cherry Bomb
Jessicka Havok
Portia Perez

Winner gets a shimmer title shot

jmdajr

Kojima... MGS1 was amazing. MGS2 I felt was a step down and tried too hard to be what MGS1 was. So I can't say definitely if Kojima sucks until I play MGS3 and on. But if the rest are anything like MGS2... oh boy.

Retroactively MGS2 is seen much differently these days.

It was one of the biggest works in history brother. We got played.

1up.com (r.i.p.)
More than a statement; MGS feels almost like an elaborate troll. It's a game that seems to dare you to like it. At every turn, it practically mocks the player. Every inch of the game revels in deceiving its audience, from the basic premise of the story to the interlocking Celtic knot that is its plot to the marketing that surrounded the game from its debut. The MGS2 narrative consists of 10 hours of ruses, double-crosses, shocking revelations, and subversions. It was sold to audiences on very nearly false pretexts.

And that's the entire point of MGS2. It inveigles the player as a means to make a statement, one that seems remarkably prescient a decade later. Ultimately, MGS2 isn't about saving the President or preventing the proliferation of super-weapons; it's a missive about the mutability of information in the digital age. When all forms of communication are digital, everything exists as data, and data can be altered. Text can be edited; video can be manipulated; audio can be masked and sampled. Digital information is unreliable, and as a video game MGS2 consists entirely of digital information. It is inherently untrustworthy, and its producer played up this fact by weaving falsehood throughout and around the game.

Ithil

I mainly play bass now but in the past I've played (in order of proficiency) trombone, saxophone, piano.

I mess around on the guitar a little bit and have been considering putting some more work in and actually getting good.

Drums, and violin.

Bandini

Drums. I mess around with guitar and keyboards but pretty much suck.

Sephzilla

MGS2's whole point is to kind of be a weird attempt to be like what MGS1 was. MGS2 is probably the most "meta" of all of the games in the franchise, thus it seems to be a very "you love it or hate it" title. The only thing that seems to be mostly agreed upon is that Raiden in MGS2 wasn't that great, which is why Kojima overhauled him for MGS4

I used to play trumpet?

Scottify

I'm mainly a drummer now, been playing for about 2 years. But I've been playing bass & guitar for about 30 years.

Of those I play guitar by myself mostly along to Iron Maiden, Metallica, stuff like that. But when I go jam I'm almost always the bass player. No one else really wants to be but I enjoy the bass a lot.

DMczaf

Coming to the realization that Stang will not enter Wrestlemania with that awesome orchestric rendition of his WCW theme...

:(

XenoRaven

I'm mainly a drummer now, been playing for about 2 years. But I've been playing bass & guitar for about 30 years.

Of those I play guitar by myself mostly along to Iron Maiden, Metallica, stuff like that. But when I go jam I'm almost always the bass player. No one else really wants to be but I enjoy the bass a lot.
Bass is super fun when you get a good handle on it. It's a lot more freeform than guitar where you tend to get locked into a certain melody or rhythm and can't deviate.

Scottify

Bass is super fun when you get a good handle on it. It's a lot more freeform than guitar where you tend to get locked into a certain melody or rhythm and can't deviate.

Totally agreed. As long as you can keep some semblance of time you can really explore. I'm a fan of playing old soul and funk music, it's some of the most enjoyable to play.

Guitar, Bass, Keyboard and really basic drums. I do a lot better job programming beats then actually playing them.

Sephzilla

I wish the avatar bet was for Sting vs HHH instead. For some reason I think that has a bigger chance of going either way than Brock vs Roman

Aiii

So not worth it
Also, JBL calls the Scorpion Death Drop the "Stinger Drop!"

:(

Since they're not even allowed to say Guillotine, it's probably forbidden to say Death as well. Probably got changed specially for Sting, but nobody told JBL or he's too old to remember he can say it this once.

Scottify

Let me just add my 2 cents that last night's casket match was just excellent. I couldn't believe it when Phoenix's (sp?) mask was almost ripped off his head. I like how Striker & Vampiro really played that up as so much dishonor to do that.

The show as whole was good too. I really enjoyed it from top to bottom.

Alucard

Banned
I always liked your ROH posts Alucard and appreciated your excitement their product (Hanson love aside lol). It seems like this board has had an identity change as of late as its been fairly more positive towards alternative products and less snarky towards people. This board is great for me as I get a lot of thoughts and gifs on the Japanese scene, recommendations on UK indies like PROGRESS and recommendations on Lucha and smaller US indy companies. In conclusion, wrestling YAY!

Woop woop. Thanks, man. Also feel there's been more positivity as of late. I think we have LU, NXT, and NJPW to thank for that.

I'll admit, that was some good shit.

No doubt. Very good brawl/match.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish the avatar bet was for Sting vs HHH instead. For some reason I think that has a bigger chance of going either way than Brock vs Roman

Really? It's completely Sting going over. 0 reason for HHH to, and he always does the jobs.

Looking forward to the SHIMMER tournament, hoping one of the last two names is a joshi though.

I play guitar mainly, been playing for ages but only got beyond 'bedroom guitarist' level in the past few years. I also play ukulele, which I'm pretty good at, mandolin and banjo, although I'm finding banjo a lot more difficult than the others. I'm great at fingerpicking, but for more folksy, classical stuff - I'm not used to the speed needed to do those right hand rolls you need for banjo. Lastly, I play a bit of harmonica, nothing fancy though.

This might just because I'm paying attention to it for the first period in my adult life, but it seems to me like WWE is becoming destigmatised to an extent in the mainstream. I think it's got something to do with the PG era meaning there is less overtly heinous bullshit being said and done, and the slow takeover by younger people who either don't have negative associations with them from the past or seem fresh. It's probably not that pronounced, like I said, I'm exaggerating due to my perspective, but it might be a thing. It's also probably some of the effect of parents watching with their kids who may not have when you had 'Puppies' to contend with every PPV, and those parents thinking wrestling is actually more wholesome than it used to be. Which is true, it is, despite a closer look revealing a lot of the dark and ignorant bullshit that always existed. We see that, but others don't with the exceptions of the treatment of the Women's division, and the occasional homophobic or sexist promo. A lot of people probably don't even pick up on or care about those two problems, either.

Alucard

Banned
Let me just add my 2 cents that last night's casket match was just excellent. I couldn't believe it when Phoenix's (sp?) mask was almost ripped off his head. I like how Striker & Vampiro really played that up as so much dishonor to do that.

The show as whole was good too. I really enjoyed it from top to bottom.

Same. Very fun opener, engaging Konnan video package, satisfying Big Ryck match, and a memorable main event. Basically, a pro wrestling show can't get much better than this.

Scottify

Same. Very fun opener, engaging Konnan video package, satisfying Big Ryck match, and a memorable main event. Basically, a pro wrestling show can't get much better than this.

Yep, totally. The Konnan playing chess vignette was just great. It's quickly turned into my #1 wrestling program.

Alucard

Banned
Which one of you is this? Shirt looks too big.

CAeNGKjUkAAArTy.jpg:large

Top Bottom