• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

They're like the indie wrestlers version of Bruce Lee, Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung, and Jackie Chan movies.

No one knows how to make martial arts movies any more, they're all awful. The direction is such a huge part of it, so many directors get in close when they need to be backing off and properly framing the entire fight, plus multiple quick cuts instead of longer takes. Part of it's the talent, though. It's just not there, all the young guys look the same, fight the same and have no distinct style (Tony Jaa's an exception to the rule, but his output has been less than stellar). It's all basic wing chun, or MMA-influenced shit with none of the flourishes or identity that makes old martial arts movies great.

So the points raised in the post would be fine without that line, or am I missing something? Should the women of the biggest wrestling promotion in the world get a chance regardless of people watching, or not?

If we got matches the calibre of what we've seen out of the women on NXT, including from one currently on the roster who was against someone who's been busted down to NXT, why wouldn't that be seen as a win? I haven't watched Raw since before Fastlane, so does my opinion hold more weight?

100%. I haven't disagreed or agreed with their argument at all. I just find comments like that silly and cheapens an argument.

We're they happy with the RAW match this week? I thought that was a good "chance" for the Divas.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
THIS IS AWESOME CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
tumblr_mvfpugso8T1spatbwo1_250.gif

No one knows how to make martial arts movies any more, they're all awful. The direction is such a huge part of it, so many directors get in close when they need to be backing off and properly framing the entire fight, plus multiple quick cuts instead of longer takes. Part of it's the talent, though. It's just not there, all the young guys look the same, fight the same and have no distinct style (Tony Jaa's an exception to the rule, but his output has been less than stellar). It's all basic wing chun, or MMA-influenced shit with none of the flourishes or identity that makes old martial arts movies great.

The problem is that the directors and choreographers don't look at martial arts when they plot these things out. They look at martial arts in video games. I think the only reason a lot of Yen's stuff works(mostly) is that he does know and respect the actual art of it. Everyone just wants to make The Matrix now.

Hasney

100%. I haven't disagreed or agreed with their argument at all. I just find comments like that silly and cheapens an argument.

We're they happy with the RAW match this week? I thought that was a good "chance" for the Divas.

Ah fair enough. I kind of get why people would continue watching though, especially for a show that's been going on that long. It can be a hard habit to break. Hell, I watched every episode of Archer Vice even!

I don't even think if they had a half hour classic Diva match it would be enough to bring me back, I'm just all for pushing good workers onto the PPV cards. Speaking of, those match card videos JR was screwing up on posted earlier need to come back. The commentary team running down the card and everyone mentioned has a reason to be there. It shouldn't be that hard with 5 hours of major TV a week to do it with every PPV and not just the big ones.

I'm totally watching the Raw after WM like I'd watch any show if they went back to the Hammerstein

Gonzalez

Banned
Oh man, Perro Aguayo Jr. died after an accident in the ring with Rey tonight :(

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/infor...-aguayo?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

RIP

Sounds like he was trying to avoid a 619 from Mysterio, but caught it in the face and was knocked out. I don't think anyone realised it was so serious at first, goddamn. This is terrible, can't imagine how Rey must be feeling.
Wow that is some really awful news. We probability lost one of the most underrated talents in all of professional wrestling.

Hasney

http://www.sandiegored.com/noticias/62110/VIDEO-Fallecio-en-Tijuana-el-Hijo-del-Perro-Aguayo/

jesus fuck

video of aguayo incident. they keep the match going as hes unconscious/dead at the edge of the ring. this is fucking horrible.

OK, there's the show must go on mentality that I don't always totally agree with, then there's this. The Austin Owen match is uncomfortable to watch knowing what's going on, but at least he's responsive and can make his own decision about what should happen. There's a fucking unconscious person in the ring, stop the fucking match or at least go and brawl on the opposite side of the ring so he can get proper attention. Fuck flipping over him. Fuck me.

That footage is awful :(
Something clearly wrong there, they should all know better than to keep it going.

I doubt they imagined it was anything more serious than an accidental KO, but yeah, they could have at least switched to another side of the ring. Tragic, this is about as freak an accident as you'll ever see in wrestling.

Aiii

So not worth it
I doubt they imagined it was anything more serious than an accidental KO, but yeah, they could have at least switched to another side of the ring. Tragic, this is about as freak an accident as you'll ever see in wrestling.

Yeah, benefit of hindsight thing really, it's hard to know how to react to such a thing.

Absolutely tragic, RIP.

Alucard

Banned
Damn...can't imagine how that guy's friends and family are feeling, and how the guys involved in that match are feeling. Truly tragic.

This is gonna follow around Rey and pro wrestling forever.

I just bought a Rey mask @ Target for my daughter yesterday too.

Wasn't Tim Whites main injury whiplash when he went into the cell as well?

Nah, he completely shredded and tore his rotator cuff. Every time he tried to come back, he re-injured it. His final attempt was WM20 in the Jericho vs. Christian match, but he re-injured it again. You can tell during the match.

scabro

Nah, he completely shredded and tore his rotator cuff. Every time he tried to come back, he re-injured it. His final attempt was WM20 in the Jericho vs. Christian match, but he re-injured it again. You can tell during the match.

On December 18, 2005 White made a controversial on-screen appearance at the Armageddon pay-per-view.[3] In a segment, a "despondent" White was interviewed by SmackDown! reporter Josh Mathews inside the bar he owned, the Friendly Tap in Cumberland, Rhode Island.[3] He was depicted drinking large amounts of alcohol, claiming that the aforementioned Hell in a Cell match "ruined his life."[3] He then proceeded to take a shotgun out from under the bar and, off screen, fired the gun, apparently intending to kill himself. This sketch was considered all the more distasteful due to the death of Eddie Guerrero a month earlier.[3]

On January 6, 2006, it was revealed that White had shot his foot accidentally during the "ordeal." But when asked by Josh Mathews about his new year's resolutions, he proceeded to scarf down a box full of rat poison, and subsequently fell over in his chair. This segment was leaked onto the internet several days earlier and included was the uncut footage of the post-segment which included the producers as well as White goofing around using some mildly foul language. On January 15, 2006, White was interviewed by Mathews again, but this time he tried to hang himself; fortunately, the rope broke. For weeks afterward, WWE's official website uploaded a new video showing Matthews trying to interview White who is about to commit suicide each week in a different way. This became a regular segment on WWE's website and was given the name of "Lunchtime Suicide", uploaded every Thursday at lunch time.

On April 6, 2006, WWE.com uploaded a video where White did not attempt to commit suicide. In fact, he invited Mathews to a party at the Friendly Tap to take place the following week. The next week, Mathews attended the party, and ended up getting shot by White.

wtf.png

Tragic news. RIP Perro Aguayo.

It sounds like a one in a million accident but a reminder that wrestling aint no joke. You take one move wrong and there is no telling how badly things might go.

Thoughts are with his family and friends. And I wonder how Rey is holding up.

So Vince, since we all know that Reigns is walking away from Mania as The Conqueror of the Conqueror (weather we want it or not), I'm just going to ask you real quick if this is offensive enough to you to be a proper punishment avatar...

O0K9OZp.png

...or if I should step my game up and start looking up wrestling related MLP fanart.

Raw64life

Most videos on YouTube show him already unconscious on the ropes but I found one where it shows Rey giving him a dropkick onto the ropes. From the angle the video shows it doesn't look bad at all and I wouldn't blame anyone for not being able to tell he was injured. Rey didn't do anything wrong. He basically kicks him in the arm.

Edit: the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkO1AsTlVgU

Horribly scary how fragile the human body can be

The 619 has always seemed one of the weakest moves around but shows if it goes wrong can be fatal

The 619 doesn't even touch him. He's already out by the time he's on the ropes.

Forkball

does WWE have any regs on tattoos?

They force all of the women to have different colored hair but do they force talent to not get certain tattoos?
In an old interview with Kizarny (remember him?), he mentioned that you have to ask the WWE first before getting any new tattoos. Ironically he was in the middle of getting one without asking permission when he was let go.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So Vince, since we all know that Reigns is walking away from Mania as The Conqueror of the Conqueror (weather we want it or not), I'm just going to ask you real quick if this is offensive enough to you to be a proper punishment avatar...

O0K9OZp.png

...or if I should step my game up and start looking up wrestling related MLP fanart.
Disgusting

MC Safety

The thing is if the part-time champ gets a new contract, all this nonsense about Roman Reigns will be moot.

I can't imagine Brock Lesnar turning down a fat paycheck and a role as a part-time champion in a "sport" where it's less likely he'll be injured.

RBH

Dave Meltzer's ratings for PWG's "From Out Of Nowhere" show that he attended live on February 27th:

Biff Busick vs. Mike Bailey (****)
Chris Hero vs. Drew Gulak (***3/4)
Matt Sydal vs. Ricochet (****1/4)
The Young Bucks vs. Monster Mafia (****1/4)
Trevor Lee vs. Roderick Strong (****)

Preview of the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ5hc8Pn4mU

JavyOO7

I never even considered Brock staying. I always thought he'd be going back to doing MMA and due to that, Roman had the win on lock. If Brock stays... I can't see him losing, to be quite honest.

Forkball

I never even considered Brock staying. I always thought he'd be going back to doing MMA and due to that, Roman had the win on lock. If Brock stays... I can't see him losing, to be quite honest.
Roman would look like the chumpiest chump that ever chumped if he loses. Though if he wins, the audience will probably dump on him his entire title reign.

Xater

Dave Meltzer's ratings for PWG's "From Out Of Nowhere" show that he attended live on February 27th:

Biff Busick vs. Mike Bailey (****)
Chris Hero vs. Drew Gulak (***3/4)
Matt Sydal vs. Ricochet (****1/4)
The Young Bucks vs. Monster Mafia (****1/4)
Trevor Lee vs. Roderick Strong (****)

Preview of the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ5hc8Pn4mU

Yeah that must have been one hell of a show. Trailer definitely gets me hyped. Also man Chris Hero needs to do something. He really starts to look super bad.

Xater

Also this is only tangentially related to wrestling but it's on the Observer we site.

I love listening to After Dark Radio. These crazies on the show amuse me to no end.

Top Bottom