• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

dream

Huh.

Perro Aguayo was one of Rey's best friends, btw.

And that really sucks for Rey. I hope he doesn't blame himself for it. As a second-generation luchador himself, I suspect he knows that shit sometimes happens in lucha libre, but I'm guessing he can't help but feel responsible.

That said, Perro Aguayo Jr. is gone, and Rey Misterio Jr. is here. There is an extraordinary opportunity to use this tragedy to make Rey the biggest rudo in lucha libre history, which would also let him work a safer style that would be much easier on his knees. Not building an angle out of this would just mean that Perro died in vain.

And that really sucks for Rey. I hope he doesn't blame himself for it. As a second-generation luchador himself, I suspect he knows that shit sometimes happens in lucha libre, but I'm guessing he can't help but feel responsible.

That said, Perro Aguayo Jr. is gone, and Rey Misterio Jr. is here. There is an extraordinary opportunity to use this tragedy to make Rey the biggest rudo in lucha libre history, which would also let him work a safer style that would be much easier on his knees. Not building an angle out of this would just mean that Perro died in vain.

Building an angle out of this seems 1000 times more tacky than everything that happened to Rey after Eddie's death.

UberTag

You're really pushing this "work the shoot" angle.
You should tweet your idea to Chris DeJoseph for Lucha Underground to employ. See how well that goes over.

Have you considered applying for WWE creative?

Wasn't there one Mexican wrestler who was buried in his mask?

And wasn't there an (at least international) female heel wrestler who kept cutting promos about the face wrestler who died in-ring against her because the show must go on and she must keep character? I think I remember that happening once too, but I'm bad with names.

My point is I don't agree with the thought that they should turn Rey rudo in response to this, but it's not like stuff happening involving people's deaths in wrestling doesn't obviously (and unfortunately) have precedent. Even WWE did the Orton flatout saying Eddie was in hell stuff.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
AJ Styles has the career ending Styles Clash way the hell over in NJPW. You never know.

dream

How is a wrestler being buried in his mask in anyway comparable to this?

I think it speaks to the culture of lucha libre, dating back to Mils Mascaras refusing to ever remove his mask. What they do is who they are, and I bet there's a small part of Perro Sr. who, under the grief, would want his son's death to build to something.

Alucard

Banned
The dude who was buried in his mask was El Santo, who was considered one of the guys who truly popularized lucha libre, along with the original Blue Demon.

6a0147e06e7f13970b016301791d39970d-500wi

He had been unmasked before, though, and you can find pictures of him online. This is his gravestone.

31218103_123626188931.jpg

ed: El Santo was the guy, thanks Alucard.

Also this is only tangentially related to wrestling but it's on the Observer we site.

I love listening to After Dark Radio. These crazies on the show amuse me to no end.

Just saw this post. I love the concept of After Dark Radio, but there have been more than a few episodes that are just...I don't want to say boring because there's effort made to entertain and also intrigue, but I can't think of a better word than that. I think if it didn't happen as often as it did, I'd think higher of it. I love the concept behind it, but some of the guests are beyond meh even in the crazy department.

Xater

ed: El Santo was the guy, thanks Alucard.

Just saw this post. I love the concept of After Dark Radio, but there have been more than a few episodes that are just...I don't want to say boring because there's effort made to entertain and also intrigue, but I can't think of a better word than that. I think if it didn't happen as often as it did, I'd think higher of it. I love the concept behind it, but some of the guests are beyond meh even in the crazy department.

Yeah not every episode is a winner but that lady that claimed she was living next to Big Foots and dog men was hilarious.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
i just heard on a Tekken 7 stream that Minoru Suzuki did motion capture for the game, for King's moves
I wonder if they gave him some new moves. He was doing it back in '94 for the first Tekken! Crazy.

What in the fuck, man.
For one thing, EVERYONE KNOWS REY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING TO HIM. For another, Rey isn't going to be booed at this stage in his career in Mexico. Turning AN ACTUAL DEATH into an angle is beyond tacky, and something WWE caught a world of shit for (and deservedly so) when Eddie died and they just exploited the hell out of his death.

He's going to be destroyed worse than when Brock faced Mir for the first time, isn't he?

Brock didn't get "destroyed" by Mir - Brock whooped his ass until he got locked in a heel hook out of nowhere.

Not everything is a work/shoot :/

I doubt AAA would stoop that low.

This didn't happen on a AAA show - it was an indy show using AAA talent.

Okay, AAA or CMLL or whatever promotion has to turn Rey Misterio heel and push him as a killer luchador. The problem with luchado rudos is they're often too comical to be truly scary. Rey just killed a man in the ring, and this could finally make him a believable monster rudo.

You are a tasteless, disgusting piece of shit. Onto the ignore list you go.

iMax

Okay, AAA or CMLL or whatever promotion has to turn Rey Misterio heel and push him as a killer luchador. The problem with luchado rudos is they're often too comical to be truly scary. Rey just killed a man in the ring, and this could finally make him a believable monster rudo.

iS4p4eRxeSEFB.gif

Wow, kayfabe must be really real to you.

Perro died from the same injury that killed Misawa (cervical spinal cord injury), doctors said there were two previous injuries that contributed to his death. It sounds like it was only a matter of time before the worst happened, so sad.

Incidentally, fucking newz sites implicating Rey are the dirt worst. Absolute clickbait scum.

Gonzalez

Banned

So does that mean my Kong post isn't the worst post ever?

scabro

I would say Baron's or Binmen or "The Wolf Pack."

Binmen is strangely apropos, considering the nature of this industry.

however, i feel it is exclusionary to the female gender. in order to not glorify our cis male privilage, i put forward the name "Bin-ladens", because were all ladened with Corbin's presence.

Mir might not have destroyed Brock, but he embarrassed him. Brock came in thinking brute force would get the job done and Mir showed him otherwise.

Brock, a rookie, made a rookie mistake, and then absolutely massacred him in their second fight. Brock came out the overall winner in that feud even though record-wise, it was 1-1 - and that bodes well for the future if Brock re-signs with UFC since he's got a ready-made rubber match.

Gonzalez

Banned
And if anything Kayfabe related happens to Rey, it might be him loosing his mask out of respect for Perro(who never lost his hair in a apuesta match). But then this is Rey Jr., who you might remember was involved in "EDDIE'S IN HELL".

You are disgusting.

Didnt a Japanese promotion actually do that a few years ago?

Top Bottom