• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Well, I guess that's that.

466621804-phil-cm-punk-brooks-poses-for-a-photo-during-gettyimages.jpg
My condolences.

scabro

You guys undestand that Ultimate Fighting is a sport where technique does normally trump brute force, right? Outside of freak cases like Brock Lesnar, it is what is within, not without, that counts when two men step inside that octagon.

I really think CM Punk has a great chance to become a big player in the UFC. He is a really dedicated guy, who works hard. I think that in itself, is half the battle.

dream

Didn't AAA once do a thing after Pena died where Konnan wore an urn containing his "ashes" and smoked them

Not only that. AAA put Pena's ashes up in a cage match.

I get that today's wrestlinggaf young bucks are very sensitive people, but, man, that was what, 2008? 2009? It's disingenuous to act like wrestling isn't a fundamentally scummy form of entertainment.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Paul Bearer died and they used it for his Taker feud. It's really not that crazy. It's a dark business.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You guys undestand that Ultimate Fighting is a sport where technique does normally trump brute force, right? Outside of freak cases like Brock Lesnar, it is what is within, not without, that counts when two men step inside that octagon.

I really think CM Punk has a great chance to become a big player in the UFC. He is a really dedicated guy, who works hard. I think that in itself, is half the battle.

These dudes probably think Alistair Overeem is the MMA GOAT, friend.
sabu.png

I agree though, Punk isn't going to have a Lesnar level impact on the sport but he'll be just be fine given the handpicked competition he's likely to face.

klonere

Banned
As off putting dream's post is I noticed that Owen Hart's titantron at Survivor Series 97 was mostly a replay of him breaking Austins neck and the whole angle was sold on the fact that he nearly paralyzed a man for life.

I think dream has shown a great "mind for the business", I think he'd fit very well into the "smart mark" crowd at places like NXT Full Sail Arena.

Gonzalez

Banned

I get that today's wrestlinggaf young bucks are very sensitive people, but, man, that was what, 2008? 2009? It's disingenuous to act like wrestling isn't a fundamentally scummy form of entertainment.
...And it's Mexico we are talking about. "Tasteful" isn't in their vocabulary.

dream

Paul Bearer died and they used it for his Taker feud. It's really not that crazy. It's a dark business.

And Paul Bearer probably would have loved it! These people--especially old timers and second-generation wrestlers--love wrestling. Being able to contribute to wrestling posthumously is the best way to solidify their legacy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And Paul Bearer probably would have loved it! These people--especially old timers and second-generation wrestlers--love wrestling. Being able to contribute to wrestling posthumously is the best way to solidify their legacy.
Yes, many are like this. They have no issue with their death being used as an angle. I agree it's tasteless in general but it is a way for them to continue to make some sort of impact and like you said, solidify their legacy. Not everyone is like that, but a lot are up for it.

tm24

Pena died outside the ring due to a heart attack and said match happened on a show honoring him. They're completely different circumstances
...And it's Mexico we are talking about. "Tasteful" isn't in their vocabulary.
And fuck you too. You wanna get down to it, no one has the word tasteful in their vocabulary

This is the second time a notable death has occured in the ring. The first was the Oro death where he took the kobashi neck bump and it went horrible wrong.

dream

Pena died outside the ring due to a heart attack and said match happened on a show honoring him. They're completely different circumstances

I see what you mean. If a death occurs outside of the ring, then it's okay to exploit said death to draw fans, ratings, and money as part of a pro wrestling angle.

Bruiser Brody's killer did it too, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, Onita set up an angle in Puerto Rico where Gonzales stabbed him - the Japanese press & fans were appalled, especially once it became clear it was a work when Onita returned to Japan and started hyping up a revenge match with him vs Gonzales in FMW.

Rey's Father (or Uncle) stars in a movie as a killer Luchador - Wrestlemaniac It's one of those so bad it's good movies.

2005 Raw Diva Search runner-up Leyla M is in this! I didn't know that, that's pretty cool.

I always see a copy of it at my local FYE but it's never been bought by anyone. I don't blame them, the cover seems scarier than the actual movie. Still might check it out eventually.

tm24

I see what you mean. If a death occurs outside of the ring, then it's okay to exploit said death to draw fans, ratings, and money as part of a pro wrestling angle.

It also happened 2 years after he died, fans rejected it and WWE nearly killed AAA and lucha in the process

dream

are you saying that if they had striken while the iron was hot then maybe fans would have been more responsive to it?

I think you're onto something, scabro, especially in light of how appalled the young bucks are by my suggestion of turning this unfortunate accident into something positive and productive. They could have channeled the fan outrage into genuine money-drawing heat.

Bischoff was right:

41bxYDi5TQL._UY250_.jpg

Rey's Father (or Uncle) stars in a movie as a killer Luchador - Wrestlemaniac It's one of those so bad it's good movies.
I've actually seen that, I swear. My buddy got fooled into thinking it was Jr in the role of the monster from the cover.

Can't remember very much about that movie except that it was in a desert setting.
Sting is older than my dad.
We don't serve Bears fans in this thread.

Kaladin

Analysis of a video of the entire fight with El Hijo del Perro Aguayo :

A video of the complete bout has made it's way online, which provides a greater picture of what happened before Aguayo collapsed. All four men are battling in the ring when Aguayo is nailed with a missile dropkick. He takes a bump that results in him flopping over and landing on his stomach. He returns to his feet and takes a head scissors from Mysterio, bumping outside to the floor, twisting his body while running to take the move and go through the ropes. Aguayo lands on the outside and returns to the ring and is dropkicked, resulting in him landing against the ropes in the traditional position to take the 619. It appears Aguayo may have suffered a spinal trauma while taking the bump to the outside of the ring, not realized it (possibly due to the adrenaline of performing) and worsened the injury taking the dropkick after he returned to the ring. Once he hits the ropes, Aguayo is completely out and it appears that since he landed in the normal position to take the 619, that greatly added to the confusion as initially one would think he was just selling.

Analysis of a video of the entire fight with El Hijo del Perro Aguayo :

A video of the complete bout has made it's way online, which provides a greater picture of what happened before Aguayo collapsed. All four men are battling in the ring when Aguayo is nailed with a missile dropkick. He takes a bump that results in him flopping over and landing on his stomach. He returns to his feet and takes a head scissors from Mysterio, bumping outside to the floor, twisting his body while running to take the move and go through the ropes. Aguayo lands on the outside and returns to the ring and is dropkicked, resulting in him landing against the ropes in the traditional position to take the 619. It appears Aguayo may have suffered a spinal trauma while taking the bump to the outside of the ring, not realized it (possibly due to the adrenaline of performing) and worsened the injury taking the dropkick after he returned to the ring. Once he hits the ropes, Aguayo is completely out and it appears that since he landed in the normal position to take the 619, that greatly added to the confusion as initially one would think he was just selling.

I saw a clip of it and you can see Manik realise that Aguayo is out cold. He taps him on the shoulder a few times while waiting for the 619, and seems to shake the ropes to wake him.

RIP.

scabro

what i've learned is that Dream's proposed angle would apparently be alright if Perro Sr. and Rey signed off on it.

In the end, no one is asking these tragically dead figures for their consent, and everyone but that individual profits. This is the wrestling industry.

Fuck all this negative shitposting friends, fuck that Play Button shit too, tomorrow is The Show We Can't Call PROGRESSLEMANIA For Legal Reasons!

Here's the card:
wtDpzFil.jpg

6uPjwykl.jpg

Xl6S6Okl.jpg

p6EReIel.jpg

CpPy7HXl.jpg

oD3SnFKl.jpg

zNAmOJSl.jpg

I'm hyped.

Fuck all this negative shitposting friends, fuck that Play Button shit too, tomorrow is The Show We Can't Call PROGRESSLEMANIA For Legal Reasons!

I'm hyped.

Same here, can't wait for that main event. I wrote an article about Jimmy that should be online shortly, I'll post it here soon.

Excited for the new debuts as well, also, poor Ali's going to get his head kicked in by Sha, lol.

Top Bottom