• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

i don't think it's against Rey, but against the promotion and medical staff for not handling the situation properly

You're probably right, I'm sure pretty much all wrestlers have to sign waivers saying that they can't sue another wrestler for damages if they are injured in a match. I agree that as soon as he was slumped down and unresponsive then medical help should have been administered immediately and the fucking match should have been called off.

Anyway, the response on Raw will be interesting on Monday, WWE likely won't make any statement (since Perro Aguayo Jr. never worked for them, although his dad did, not to mention the death involves a former WWE superstar that is probably second to CM Punk on the WWE's shitlist) but with LA being so close to Tijuana I can guess that many Lucha fans will bring tribute signs, and maybe a few chants will start up.

So the biggest money feud in WWE history (or so I'm told) Rock vs Austin started over the IC belt

How the fuck is the IC belt now in the shitter? Surely it only makes things hard to have to make up some dumb storyline reason to feud instead of just saying "I WANT THAT PRESTIGIOUS BELT FRIEND". Why devalue the belts? Is it Cenas fault again

look at the title belt history in the early 00s and you can see it was mostly traded around by guys who were pretty much technically proficient workhorses. The last time the IC belt really elevated someone was Evolution era Orton and then Edge after him

Dr Doom Cody had that chance, but they didn't bump him up when they should've

Austin vs. Rock involved the IC Title, but it wasn't about the IC Title and Rock wasn't THE ROCK then. He was on the cusp, but didn't even get a clean win over Ken Shamrock at WM in '98. Hell, the title was so beneath Austin that he refused to lose it in the ring to Rock and instead just forfeited it and tossed it in the river. There's a lot more to it in one of the newer back issues of the Observer that's online now.

Carnby

What are your thoughts on Brock retaining and holding the belt longer than Punk, with rare appearances? If it elevates the under card belts and turns the world title into the holy grail, I'm down with it.

Fox318

What are your thoughts on Brock retaining and holding the belt longer than Punk, with rare appearances? If it elevates the under card belts and turns the world title into the holy grail, I'm down with it.

The only reason why its been a good thing is because creative has been so shitty.

Brock is great but the thing that really elevated the belt was not being subjected to 29 writers.

As much as I love Brock, it seems disingenuous to give him the longest modern reign when he's appeared less then most of the other champions.

And the undercard belts need more than just a lack of brock appearances to be elevated

Well, it would completely bury Roman. (which I think a lot of people would be okay with)

7bq9IMJ.jpg

welp

this fucking sucks

Xater

Tickets aren't expensive, you just need to get in quick.

I can only see the standing prices though. How much are seats? Would be cool to go yo a show with some UK GAFers.

Its gotta be Neville, he doesn't have anything going on, been in NXT for ages, can do some crazy spot to get himself some spotlight during it and then get eliminated by Kane or something. Balor could be the NXT champion by that time anyway and I'd say that Trips could get a veto for "his champion" on bringing him just to job out.

They wouldn't waste Balor's first WM appearance on this right? I've imagined just how fucking cool his first singles WM entrance could be.

I heard some NXT spoilers and based on those I would not be surprised if they fast track Balor.

klonere

Banned
Austin vs. Rock involved the IC Title, but it wasn't about the IC Title and Rock wasn't THE ROCK then. He was on the cusp, but didn't even get a clean win over Ken Shamrock at WM in '98. Hell, the title was so beneath Austin that he refused to lose it in the ring to Rock and instead just forfeited it and tossed it in the river. There's a lot more to it in one of the newer back issues of the Observer that's online now.

DUDE SPOILERS. j/k yeah Rock hadn't quite got his character down in the Raw after Montreal when he calls out Austin but he does explicitly refer to himself as "The Rock". Shamrock is also really interesting to look at as a proto-Brock/Angle. Surprised he seems to be relatively content doing lower mid card stuff as he came in. Also how much WWE were willing to reference all the UFC stuff although I suppose it was a completely different business back then

I heard some NXT spoilers and based on those I would not be surprised if they fast track Balor.

They definitely need to pull the trigger on him but I'd hope they don't think that is the battle royale. Would the Raw after WM work?

Balor said in a radio interview that he'll be working the WWE European Tour in April. So maybe that means something about him coming up. Of course it could just be an NXT guy touring with the main roster, but I feel like there's quite a bit of evidence that points to it being more than that.

kirblar

So the biggest money feud in WWE history (or so I'm told) Rock vs Austin started over the IC belt

How the fuck is the IC belt now in the shitter? Surely it only makes things hard to have to make up some dumb storyline reason to feud instead of just saying "I WANT THAT PRESTIGIOUS BELT FRIEND". Why devalue the belts? Is it Cenas fault again
Because they haven't booked their undercard correctly in over a decade.

Since it's the topic of conversation, spitballing a few ideas that can help elevate the midcard belts

US belt: A rule is established that the belt must be defended once a week if the shows are in the US. Give it a time limit too for good measure

Intercontinental: THE mid card belt. Defended more frequently than the world title but less than the US. Hefty promo/segment time given to both the holder and champion. Former world title holders who are currently not in the picture can go after the belt. Internal creative rule that the holder of the IC belt, depending on how they do, can move up to the main event.

klonere

Banned
Since it's the topic of conversation, spitballing a few ideas that can help elevate the midcard belts

US belt: A rule is established that the belt must be defended once a week if the shows are in the US. Give it a time limit too for good measure

Intercontinental: THE mid card belt. Defended more frequently than the world title but less than the US. Hefty promo/segment time given to both the holder and champion. Former world title holders who are currently not in the picture can go after the belt. Internal creative rule that the holder of the IC belt, depending on how they do, can move up to the main event.

Incoming Ubertag post about how this will never happen

Funny how Rick Rude introduces Trips as "The future of professional wrestling". Yeah that is actually kinda true in a way Rick, great prediction back in 97.

NOAH world tag league teams

Takashi Sugiura & Masato Tanaka (ZERO1) [Dangan Yankees] -
2014 Winning Team
・ Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. [Killer Elite Squad/Suzukigun]
- Reigning Tag Champions.
・
Minoru Suzuki (Pancrase MISSION) & Takashi Iizuka (NJPW) [Suzukigun]
・
Shelton “X“ Benjamin & Brian Breaker
・
Mikey Nicholls & Shane Haste [TMDK]
・
Marufuji & Katsuhiko Nakajima (DIAMOND RING) [BRAVE]
・
Takeshi Morishima & Mitsuhiro Kitamiya [Chokibogun]
・
Maybach Taniguchi & Maybach #2 [Chokibogun]
・
Muhammed Yone & Daisuke Ikeda (Fu-ten) [Muhammed Bombers]
・
Akitoshi Saito & Quiet Storm
・
Chris Hero & Colt Cabana
・
Daisuke Sekimoto & Kazuki Hashimoto [Team BJW]

Candy wait for sekimoto and hero to lock up

Paracelsus

It wasn't the dropkick, to me one big element was the scissors, it was so sandbaggy that at one point it feels like Rey could've popped his head off like farmers do with chickens. Then, he took that big bad bump outside the ring, came back but at that point his spine was probably already hanging by a thread, and the whiplash from the dropkick (on his side/arm) completely smashed the whole thing apart.

Tell me how many wrestlers from 1985 to 2005 came back to the IC after becoming world champions at least once. Then, do the same for 2005-2015.

saw the Angle/Lashley fight last night too. Man Angle looks rough. The more the fight went on the more he looked like an overcooked hot dog. And afterwards the dude looked like he could barely move his neck/back.

DMczaf

Balor said in a radio interview that he'll be working the WWE European Tour in April. So maybe that means something about him coming up. Of course it could just be an NXT guy touring with the main roster, but I feel like there's quite a bit of evidence that points to it being more than that.

Meltzer said the feeling is that he's being paid way too much to be collecting checks in NXT much longer.

Xater

Meltzer said the feeling is that he's being paid way too much to be collecting checks in NXT much longer.

Yeah he made it sound like he gets more than the usual developmental talent gets. I mean it makes sense with him coming in from New Japan. Otherwise he could have stayed in Japan.

somedevil

That doesn't mean much. They bring Sami to all the middle east tours when he still is in NXT. Plus the same for Neville last european tour. The bring the foreign talent to the foreign tours to help ticket sales. Itami and Balor are going to be a big part of getting people to come for the Japan tour.

Plus if you go by the the NXT spoilers he
is going to start a feud with Breeze.

You're probably right, I'm sure pretty much all wrestlers have to sign waivers saying that they can't sue another wrestler for damages if they are injured in a match. I agree that as soon as he was slumped down and unresponsive then medical help should have been administered immediately and the fucking match should have been called off.

Anyway, the response on Raw will be interesting on Monday, WWE likely won't make any statement (since Perro Aguayo Jr. never worked for them, although his dad did, not to mention the death involves a former WWE superstar that is probably second to CM Punk on the WWE's shitlist) but with LA being so close to Tijuana I can guess that many Lucha fans will bring tribute signs, and maybe a few chants will start up.
Why is Rey on their shitlist?

That doesn't mean much. They bring Sami to all the middle east tours when he still is in NXT. Plus the same for Neville. The bring the foreign talent to the foreign tours to help ticket sales. Itami and Balor are going to be a big part of getting people to come for the Japan tour.

Plus if you go by the the NXT spoilers he
is going to start a feud with Breeze.

The Owens vs. Balor match was scheduled to air in the middle of April and they moved it up to the week before Mania. I don't think that is a coincidence. And as for the
Breeze promo, they can easily just not air that and put Breeze with someone else.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Incoming Ubertag post about how this will never happen

Funny how Rick Rude introduces Trips as "The future of professional wrestling". Yeah that is actually kinda true in a way Rick, great prediction back in 97.

It...was a great prediction after all. Ain't nobody predicting that for HHH even in 1997.

Vylash

I know they said they were gonna call Balor and Itami up fairly quickly

JavyOO7

Watching some stuff from the past few years. I can't believe they gave the Shield their first loss on a random Smackdown. All that build and all the teams they beat, and you burn that off on a show nobody was watching? Would have meant so much more had the Wyatts been the first to do it at EC.

Yeah they lost that match but it was such a fun match that I can't help but watch that match often... crowd actually seem to dug it too which makes it better.

somedevil

The Owens vs. Balor match was scheduled to air in the middle of April and they moved it up to the week before Mania. I don't think that is a coincidence. And as for the
Breeze promo, they can easily just not air that and put Breeze with someone else.

I think that is possible but I think the taping with those 4 episodes are just out of order. They held out
the match between Balor vs Steen to the final taping because they knew it would go long and planned ahead knowing the Ohio taping will lead to this match and the women's title match. Plus it helps to leave this match last to keep the crown there.

why hashimoto over okabayashi?

I'm guessing BJW want K-Hash to get more exposure, which would be good for him. Especially with Jado booking NOAH now.

Incidentally, Sekimoto is a beast of a trainer, he's like the new Animal Hamaguchi - three more of his trainees are set to debut in the coming months.

Nice piece, Lariatooooooo. Didn't know Jimmy's story, so I just learned a lot. There's one grammatical error in your last paragraph...you figure it out. haha.

Thanks man, glad you liked it. Gah, damn grammar. I found a spelling mistake or two, but my grammar's pretty shoddy.

RBH

saw the Angle/Lashley fight last night too. Man Angle looks rough. The more the fight went on the more he looked like an overcooked hot dog. And afterwards the dude looked like he could barely move his neck/back.

Yeah, I haven't seen the match myself, but from everything I've read, it seems like Angle was 3-4 steps behind Lashley for the entire match.

I think that is possible but I think the taping with those 4 episodes are just out of order. They held out
the match between Balor vs Steen to the final taping because they knew it would go long and planned ahead knowing the Ohio taping will lead to this match and the women's title match. Plus it helps to leave this match last to keep the crown there.

Even if they decided to tape it out of order, it being aired right before WM and now this news about the battle royal combined with the fact that Raw after Mania is a good spot for a debut all seems to indicate there is more here than just coincidence. Add on top of that the fact that Meltzer has said multiple times that he is making far too much money to be in developmental very long. All the signs seem to point to a debut very soon.

Fox318

I have a question.

Does Bray and Undertaker have a secret rundown at the NXT facility or at Mania to work on some spots, are they just expected to improvise, or do they just trust in them to hit a few main spots and they cover that on a phone call?

I have a question.

Does Bray and Undertaker have a secret rundown at the NXT facility or at Mania to work on some spots, are they just expected to improvise, or do they just trust in them to hit a few main spots and they cover that on a phone call?

They've probably been doing or will be doing stuff together before the show.

HHH and Sting have already been practicing, so barring another entrance ice mishap or early concussion their match will probably be better than people expected it to be months ago.

DMczaf

Looking back its kinda crazy that Vince paid the man $5 million to job first to Cena then in his Mania debut to job to HHH.

Speaking of which, Lapsed Fan podcast is on WM29, and Meltzer talks about both of these.

Vince jobbed him in his first match because "Vince wanted to prove his guys could beat UFC fighters". Vince is legitimately insane.

Top Bottom