• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Are you telling me that Vince McMahon wouldn't throw the opportunity to make tons of money down the drain just to prove that he's right in who he chooses?

I could see him doing it now, but this isn't about now. This is about money. It's ALL about the mon nay.
wdkajTV.gif

AJ Lee backstage at RAW

Dis gon be good.

Uh you do know she works there right? And people mentioned a program with her for Mania...? This isn't a weird thing

Toki767

Konnan is wrong. A lot. And often.

Don't believe Konnan.

It's not really about him being right or wrong in this particular instance.

It's that what he's saying isn't something that's so obviously not the truth and frankly something that is easy to think could be the truth.

Sephzilla

Konnan is wrong. A lot. And often.

Don't believe Konnan.

i dont legitimately think this happened but it's something i could see Vince agreeing to if someone proposed the idea to him. like i sad last page it's not like Vince hasn't given the thumbs up on money burning shit before.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's not really about him being right or wrong in this particular instance.

It's that what he's saying isn't something that's so obviously not the truth and frankly something that is easy to think could be the truth.

Just because you want the world to shit on CM Punk doesn't mean it's "easy to believe"

Be sensible god dammit, and go buy that shitty Thor comic.

Also folks, consider this

CM Punk had plenty of different shirts at the time. Cena's just more marketable, more leeway with designs.

CM Punk had that Best In The World shirt and then at the start of 2012 he had the In Punk We Trust shirt. That's only two designs from Money In The Bank 2011 all the way to Night Of Champions 2012 when he got that yellow GTS Shirt which made 3. Yes he started getting alot of different shirts after he returned at Pay Back 2013 but Cena always had waaaaay more.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
CM Punk had that Best In The World shirt and then at the start of 2012 he had the In Punk We Trust shirt. That's only two designs from Money In The Bank 2011 all the way to Night Of Champions 2012 when he got that yellow GTS Shirt which made 3. Yes he started getting alot of different shirts after he returned at Pay Back 2013 but Cena always had waaaaay more.

Follows the same trajectory of his career, sounds like. "Everything was great, until Kevin Nash showed up..."

Sephzilla

Back in the day didnt Vince/WWE give DiBiase a ton of money to walk around with just to maintain kayfabe or was that just a wrestling myth?

Cena gets that many shirts between Mania and SummerSlam

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's not Cena's fault he's insanely more marketable than CM Punk. Wait, actually it completely is his fault.

Look guys. Go ahead and drink the Kool-Aid, it's just a little too close to ravenwhatamark.gif to me. I'll bow out and you can continue discussing how the powers that be kept CM Punk down and kept him from being a megastar, despite them giving him the belt for over a year and that resulted in one of the most anticlimactic reigns of all time. Or how they set him up for failure, by giving the ONE person to beat him during that title reign having been the Rock. The fucking Rock.

But no, everyone's against poor little CM Punk.

PEACE
gLGegzt.gif

somedevil

Isn't Vince a billionaire again because the WWE stock is back up?

Plus TNA Viewership for Friday:

IMPACT WRESTLING on DAM shed 0.02 to 0.09, and was also down about 90K in total viewers to 366K and 0.05 in households (277K). For IMPACT WRESTLING completists, the 11PM re-airing added 0.03 in 18-49s, 136K total viewers, and 0.08 in households (96K).

So 502,000 total viewers. The lowest since it switched to Destination america. It seems about 500,000-700,000 watch impact now.

Sephzilla

It's not Cena's fault he's insanely more marketable than CM Punk. Wait, actually it completely is his fault.

Look guys. Go ahead and drink the Kool-Aid, it's just a little too close to ravenwhatamark.gif to me. I'll bow out and you can continue discussing how the powers that be kept CM Punk down and kept him from being a megastar, despite them giving him the belt for over a year and that resulted in one of the most anticlimactic reigns of all time. Or how they set him up for failure, by giving the ONE person to beat him during that title reign having been the Rock. The fucking Rock.

PEACE
gLGegzt.gif

didn't we just have a failed wrasslegaf thread get closed due to shitty gimmick posting like this?

also, he lost a year long title reign to a guy who wrestled 1 match in 7 years, who was a glorified transitional champ for appledough

PEACE
gLGegzt.gif
There's so much wrong with this post.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
didn't we just have a failed wrasslegaf thread get closed due to shitty gimmick posting like this?

also, he lost a year long title reign to a guy who wrestled 1 match in 7 years, who was a glorified transitional champ for appledough

If you still think the Rock coming back and winning the title was bad, then you simply don't get it.

You can call it shitty gimmick posting if you want, heaven forbid someone is going against the echo chamber of Daniel Bryan and CM Punk obsession and looking at things with a critical eye. I suggest making a CM Punk OT so yall can climax earlier with the circlejerk instead of getting distracted by others.

I think this T-shirts design business comes down to a couple of things. One thing is that CM Punk fans weren't going to run out and buy new shirts every couple of months. It's two very different demographics. The people buying the latest Cena shirt are buying the latest Cena shirt because it's new.

CM Punk shirts actually needed to be cool enough to sell to adult fans. Also, if we're going to believe that any shirt was given too large a production run, I think we'd all agree that it was likely to be Cena's latest entry in his own person rainbow. So what do you think is going to be filling up the merch stands.

Cena's merchandise goes stale a lot quicker. I bet Punk's had much better legs. No one wants a vintage Cena shirt.

Sephzilla

If you still think the Rock coming back and winning the title was bad, then you simply don't get it.

You can call it shitty gimmick posting if you want, heaven forbid someone is going against the echo chamber of Daniel Bryan and CM Punk obsession and looking at things with a critical eye. I suggest making a CM Punk OT so yall can climax earlier with the circlejerk instead of getting distracted by others.

Your username is Vince McMahon and you're almost always the first guy to rush to Vince's defense when someone throws shade at him. And you're defending a year long champ losing to a guy who barely wrestled in 7 years. I don't give a shit if the Rock is a major Hollywood star. He wrestled 1 match in 7 years, that damages the fuck out of the credibility of the belt.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Your username is Vince McMahon and you're almost always the first guy to rush to Vince's defense when someone throws shade at him. And you're defending a year long champ losing to a guy who barely wrestled in 7 years. I don't give a shit if the Rock is a major Hollywood star. He wrestled 1 match in 7 years.

This is where the fundamental issue is - it should be reversed. You should be HAPPY someone who hasn't wrestled in seven years, who is a WWE legend, who brings a fucking ton of eyes to the product, wants to work with your star. These are GOOD things. If you complain about him being a part-timer, that just means you listened to The Art of Wrestling with CM Punk. Also don't forget, the Rock wrestled previously. Survivor Series, Once in a Lifetime...but I see the point you're making.

Cagey

Banned
And you're defending a year long champ losing to a guy who barely wrestled in 7 years. I don't give a shit if the Rock is a major Hollywood star. He wrestled 1 match in 7 years.

If you think that correctly stating The Rock beating CM Punk was just fine, or that the CM Punk t-shirt anecdote is laughable nonsense, is gimmick posting, might I suggest you visit Reddit.

Toki767

In the span of like 2 years?

484x272

This is where the fundamental issue is - it should be reversed. You should be HAPPY someone who hasn't wrestled in seven years, who is a WWE legend, who brings a fucking ton of eyes to the product, wants to work with your star. These are GOOD things. If you complain about him being a part-timer, that just means you listened to The Art of Wrestling with CM Punk. Also don't forget, the Rock wrestled previously. Survivor Series, Once in a Lifetime...but I see the point you're making.

Umm...the entire first feud with Cena was about how the Rock wasn't around and just basically a part-timer at best.

Sephzilla clearly you are forgetting that the rock had fought in TWO matchs prior to utterly destroying that skinny fat lout, CM Punk.

or have you forgotten about how The Rock had made The Miz and R-Truth look like stars while going over them?

Your username is Vince McMahon and you're almost always the first guy to rush to Vince's defense when someone throws shade at him. And you're defending a year long champ losing to a guy who barely wrestled in 7 years. I don't give a shit if the Rock is a major Hollywood star. He wrestled 1 match in 7 years.

I didn't like Rock taking the title off of Punk either but he's essentially legend status in WWE, so him only wrestling once in 7 years doesn't matter. He's one of their top draws of all time.

Sephzilla

el oh fucking el at the bold part.

I barely count the Survivor Series match as a Rock match because Rock did less in that match than Roman did in the Royal Rumble.

Sephzilla

I can't believe people are defending Punk dropping the title to The Rock especially when it was so obvious Rock was clearly just keeping the belt warm for Cena.

Kaladin

Unpopular Opinion Time:

You know what bothers me about CM Punk?

He did accomplished a lot in a short period of time, a lot. He was even champ for a whole year which is unheard of these days.

You know what his thing is though? That he never got to headline Wrestlemania.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CM Punk just wasn't on the level of those guys who had headlined Mania up to that point.

If he stuck around a few more years, maybe...but when he left? Nah, he just wasn't the next Austin like people wanted.

I can't believe people are defending Punk dropping the title to The Rock especially when it was so obvious Rock was clearly just keeping the belt warm for Cena.
It's the same organization that is building up a young Bray Wyatt likely for the purpose of jobbing him out to the fifty year old who wrestles once a year.

The company makes lots of awful choices.

Toki767

Unpopular Opinion Time:

He did accomplished a lot in a short period of time, a lot. He was even champ for a whole year which is unheard of these days.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CM Punk just wasn't on the level of those guys who had headlined Mania up to that point.

If he stuck around a few more years, maybe...but when he left? Nah, he just wasn't the next Austin like people wanted.

The Miz headlined Mania.

Sephzilla

Unpopular Opinion Time:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Daniel Bryan is probably as over as Punk was and he's probably never going to sniff another main event ever again, so it's hard to say Punk might have gotten one further down the line. A 400+ day WWE Champion not main event a WrestleMania is kind of stupid.

It's the same organization that is building up a young Bray Wyatt likely for the purpose of jobbing him out to the fifty year old who wrestles once a year.

The company makes lots of awful choices.

Bray/Taker, while I'm excited for it, is a year too late. Bray should have been the one to end it.

PEACE
gLGegzt.gif

5664262.jpg

I'm sure shit like making Laryngitis vs Cena the main event at Over The Limit instead of Punk vs Bryan did a lot to enhance his reign. He was pretty much just there to keep the seat warm for Rock and Cena.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Your username is Vince McMahon and you're almost always the first guy to rush to Vince's defense when someone throws shade at him. And you're defending a year long champ losing to a guy who barely wrestled in 7 years. I don't give a shit if the Rock is a major Hollywood star. He wrestled 1 match in 7 years, that damages the fuck out of the credibility of the belt.

Under that logic, they should have never brought Brock Lesnar back. I mean, he came back after what, 7 years out, lost to Cena, lost to HHH, beat Punk, then beat Taker and became the most dominant champion and brought prestige back to the belt.

CM Punk was an awesome wrestler, but he was a self-admitted pain in the ass malcontent who believes he walks on water (which, to reach his level of achievement, you sort of have to do). You don't think Vince remembers Ultimate Warrior, or HBK, or any of the other wrestlers that have more or less held him up in the past?

Right. The Rock coming back to the product may have arguably harmed the credibility of the belt, but it sure as shit did a lot for the credibility of the WWE. Similarly, the only people complaining about Brock holding the belt hostage are people who don't seem to be able to stop watching the product no matter what.

Brock returning to the WWE got me to buy my first WWE pay per view in ages. He's a special attraction just like Paul says. The mid card right now is really fucking good. I don't know. Sometimes it seems people here only care about who the top guy is and everything else is irrelevant to them.

I mentioning really liking someone and half the time the response is 'yeah but he'll never main event Wrestlemania' like if you fail to do that you're irrelevant or something. Hell, people go on about how Daniel Bryan will possibly 'only' end up main eventing one WrestleMania as if that's saying something.

Edge only main evented one WrestleMania. Who gives a shit?

Eh, maybe I'd hate John Cena way more if I only gave a shit about the main event. Dean Ambrose is great. Whether he ever main events WrestleMania or not.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure shit like making Laryngitis vs Cena the main event at Over The Limit instead of Punk vs Bryan did a lot to enhance his reign.

The argument being made sounds a lot like "damn, even the world champion couldn't get peoples' attention more than John Cena and Ace"

Let's be honest, Ace was fantastic during his People Power run.

Cagey

Banned
Punk could have headlined Wrestlemania the same way that Jericho did against Triple H at Wrestlemania 18.

As in, no one would have given a shit if he was the "main event" because he wasn't the main event.

Cena/Rock was the main event on whatever card and wherever on the card they wrestled.

It's absurd to even suggest someone would need to defend Rock beating Punk, let alone suggest that defending the decision is ridiculous.

Sephzilla

Under that logic, they should have never brought Brock Lesnar back. I mean, he came back after what, 7 years out, lost to Cena, lost to HHH, beat Punk, then beat Taker and became the most dominant champion and brought prestige back to the belt.

CM Punk was an awesome wrestler, but he was a self-admitted pain in the ass malcontent who believes he walks on water (which, to reach his level of achievement, you sort of have to do). You don't think Vince remembers Ultimate Warrior, or HBK, or any of the other wrestlers that have more or less held him up in the past?

The difference is that Brock was out 7 years becoming UFC Champion and The Rock was out 7 years making movies, so Brock coming back and being dominant made a lot more sense than Rock. Granted WWE tried to fuck that up too since Brock came back to be Cena food.

they're looking at it from a $$$ perspective, which is true, it made money despite Rock's programs being straight up shit
Unpopular Opinion Time:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Randy Orton wasn't the next anything and he's headlined multiple manias

Looking at some cheap lights for photography and video on Amazon and one of the listed questions:

I need to film indoor Wrestling in a room with no natural light. The mat area is 10 feet by 10 feet. Will those lights be powerful enough?

I wonder what his dungeon fed looks like.

Aiii

So not worth it
AJ Lee has a license to say pretty much whatever the fuck she wants. I am sure they are fucking dying to fire her.

Then why have her around? They could pay her her downside and percentages and just have her stay at home?

Instead they apparently give her a Mania match and pay off.

Simple fact remains that AJ makes them money. And I'm with Sunny on this one, money trumps personal feelings. At least for Vince McMahon. Not sure about the Levesque's, but Vince will put money over personal grudges 9 times out of 10.

The argument being made sounds a lot like "damn, even the world champion couldn't get peoples' attention more than John Cena and Ace"

No, Ace was pretty much Vince Mcmahon lite, his run was godawful. And when you're booking your champ to be a glorified mid-carder in comparison to Cena and his latest villain of the week, yeah, it's gonna be an underwhelming reign, no matter how long it is.

Heroman

Banned
Unpopular Opinion Time:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

]
Their were people who were lower than punk in terms of popularity / talent who main evented.

Sephzilla

I liked the People Power run but that match had absolutely no business being the main event of a PPV outside of Vince having a giant hardon for Cena.

No, Ace was pretty much Vince Mcmahon lite, his run was godawful. And when you're booking your champ to be a glorified mid-carder in comparison to Cena and his latest villain of the week, yeah, it's gonna be an underwhelming reign, no matter how long it is.
Absolutely.

For bad booking see: Daniel Bryan. Or Roman Reigns, on the other side of that coin.

Or a million other examples

Top Bottom