• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

I 100% agree that Rock should have taken the belt off of Punk, but it should have been at EC. Punk should have beaten him at RR. It would have given Punk an even bigger boost and it wouldn't have hurt Rock. Rock is pretty much teflon at this point.

RP912

Banned
We heading into No Gimmick Mondays now. Yall firing away with these shoots friends.

Guess I'll shoot...

The Miz was a good WWE champion. Fuck the haters.

Roman Reigns will have more Mania main events than Punk and Bryan combined, and that's why we should all just either become completely negative about the product, or become ironic about the product like Sunny

Bowser

I wish they had done a Punk/Cena/Rock 3-way at Mania 29, because I was at Mania 29 and Rock/Cena was absolute dog shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No, Ace was pretty much Vince Mcmahon lite, his run was godawful. And when you're booking your champ to be a glorified mid-carder in comparison to Cena and his latest villain of the week, yeah, it's gonna be an underwhelming reign, no matter how long it is.

I totally disagree, I loved every single segment Ace was in. It was so godawful and fantastic. I am a fan of People Power.

I 100% agree that Rock should have taken the belt off of Punk, but it should have been at EC. Punk should have beaten him at RR. It would have given Punk an even bigger boost and it wouldn't have hurt Rock. Rock is pretty much teflon at this point.
Also correct.

It strengthens Punk, doesn't hurt the Rock, and sets up the exact Cena/Rock conflict they wanted anyway.

The difference is that Brock was out 7 years becoming UFC Champion and The Rock was out 7 years making movies, so Brock coming back and being dominant made a lot more sense than Rock. Granted WWE tried to fuck that up too since Brock came back to be Cena food.

So Brock coming back and losing to the full timer who puts in all the work is horrible, but the Rock coming back and beating the full timer who puts in all the work is also horrible.

You just sound like someone who doesn't really like The Rock.

I wish they had done a Punk/Cena/Rock 3-way at Mania 29, because I was at Mania 29 and Rock/Cena was absolute dog shit.

But Taker/Punk was amaaazing

Punk's following is more hardcore, but Cena as a merch machine is unstoppable. Color change, front logo modification, done. He really does print money.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We heading into No Gimmick Mondays now. Yall firing away with these shoots friends.

Guess I'll shoot...

I thought he was too. In the past few years he really lost something he had a grip on at the time. Miz main eventing mania was just fine at the time. He was going up, up, up. Then...

Heroman

Banned
Roman Reigns will have more Mania main events than Punk and Bryan combined, and that's why we should all just either become completely negative about the product, or become ironic about the product like Sunny

Dont know about roman, he is just not over considering the level he is in, I give him 6 month before he become Shemus .

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
they're looking at it from a $$$ perspective, which is true, it made money despite Rock's programs being straight up shit

Randy Orton wasn't the next anything and he's headlined multiple manias

They had the luxury of not having Rock decide to return during those manias.

Let's be honest: CM Punk did not, in any way, shape, or form, deserve to headline any Wrestlemania where the Rock & John Cena would be facing off. CM Punk is a moderately popular pop culture icon who has an ardent fan base. The Rock is the world's most successful action movie star. John Cena is the most popular (even against Punk in his prime) and highest earning WWE star currently.

If CM Punk had stuck around through 2014; there is a decent chance that he's headlining WM against John Cena multiple times. (They may not have pulled the trigger on Taker / Lesnar & Reigns had they not felt they were short main eventers at WM 30). But; Bryan never sniffs the main event (Punk's fanbase transferred over to Bryan, which put him over the top) as a result.

Bowser

It was written to be Cena's comeback story taking revenge on the Rock for ruining his life (?), Punk had no place in it.

The story was dog shit too, might as well have tried to salvage the actual match.

Punk's following is more hardcore, but Cena as a merch machine is unstoppable. Color change, front logo modification, done. He really does print money.

Punk/Taker was good, I'll give you that.

You didn't like watching a person gassed after 10 minutes in the ring? Hope you're not going to Mania this year.

lol fuck no. Only reason I went is because I live in NYC so didn't have to worry about airfare and hotel expenses, and attending a Mania was on my bucket list. Unfortunately it was probably one of the worst Manias of all-time.

Sephzilla

So Brock coming back and losing to the full timer who puts in all the work is horrible, but the Rock coming back and beating the full timer who puts in all the work is also horrible.

I'm a huge mark for Rock. But I can at least objectively look at it and see why it's a stupid decision. Just like how I can see that Brock coming back losing after becoming the world champion of actually beating the fuck out of people can be a stupid decision.

Guess I'll shoot...

Miz was more entertaining than Cena leading up to that event, which isn't a huge accomplishment but I was more interested in Rock/Miz segments than I was Rock/Cena segments.

TBF, Bork vs Cena wasn't billed to be some Once in a Lifetime thing, just Bork wanting to bork a fool. And considering he was meant to be sticking around, having him come in, look like a monster, then get fed to Cena, was fucking stupid. But I guess Vince needed his revenge for Wrestlemania 20.

CM Punk is a moderately popular pop culture icon who has an ardent fan base. The Rock is the world's most successful action movie star. John Cena is the most popular (even against Punk in his prime) and highest earning WWE star currently.

Punk's 2011 promo bought back a lot of people who'd stopped watching during Haitch's reign of terror bullshit. He could've become a lot more popular than Cena if they didn't decide to feed him to Haitch so quickly and fuck up his momentum.

Toki767

No chance at all Punk would have main evented Mania last year or this year if he stayed. I don't know how someone could possibly even think that.

Kaladin

You guys don't see it because there is no brand split anymore and he has to be a highlight.

But Roman Reigns is the equivalent of Alberto Del Rio or Sheamus winning the Rumble.

We just don't have a brand split anymore to shuffle the Rumble winner down to a lower card belt, so Roman Reigns has to be given the spotlight.

His career will run a similar path after too.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Taker / Punk was...meh. Frankly, both HBK / HHH matches with Taker were better than Punk / Taker. It reminded me of the ROH matches I watched last night. They were technically good, and fun to watch...but within an hour, I forgot who had won and I really didn't care about it.

What is this singular focus on who is in the top spot? I'm sure more learned guys here could list all the top names who 'only' main evented WrestleMania once (Edge/Mick Foley), or who never main evented it.

And hell, Mick Foley's main event at WrestleMania is probably part of his worst run in the company.

Blah to that standard. Blah to judging anything that way.

Taker / Punk was...meh. Frankly, both HBK / HHH matches with Taker were better than Punk / Taker. It reminded me of the ROH matches I watched last night. They were technically good, and fun to watch...but within an hour, I forgot who had won and I really didn't care about it.
Punk/Taker was fantastic, and easily the best match on the card, even with Punk totally carrying the broken-down Taker.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
AJ Lee has a license to say pretty much whatever the fuck she wants. I am sure they are fucking dying to fire her.
She'll get snatched up by UFC fight her way up to the strawweight champ beat her then set up a superfight with new old best friend Ronda Rousey.

RP912

Banned
I thought he was too. In the past few years he really lost something he had a grip on at the time. Miz main eventing mania was just fine at the time. He was going up, up, up. Then...

Miz was more entertaining than Cena leading up to that event, which isn't a huge accomplishment but I was more interested in Rock/Miz segments than I was Rock/Cena segments.

Yeah its a shame his title reign was sort of like a reservation for Cena/Rock because his promos were greatness and he pretty much saved 2010 from being a complete shit show. It was bad enough Nexus got cena'ed during the time.

TBF, Bork vs Cena wasn't billed to be some Once in a Lifetime thing, just Bork wanting to bork a fool. And considering he was meant to be sticking around, having him come in, look like a monster, then get fed to Cena, was fucking stupid. But I guess Vince needed his revenge for Wrestlemania 20.

Punk's 2011 promo bought back a lot of people who'd stopped watching during Haitch's reign of terror bullshit. He could've become a lot more popular than Cena if they didn't decide to feed him to Haitch so quickly and fuck up his momentum.

Was Rock vs Punk billed that way? I wasn't watching at the time.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
No chance at all Punk would have main evented Mania last year or this year if he stayed. I don't know how someone could possibly even think that.

Does Vince ask Taker to lose last year if he still has Punk / Brock around? Does Vince feel the need to create new stars ASAP if he has a couple of more main eventers still around?

I think there's a really good chance that Punk / Cena could have become Cena's main feud and a feud that defined a generation of wrestling. With that, I could easily see Cena / Punk main eventing at least one WM.

Sephzilla

Honestly, if Punk couldn't get a WM main event out of a 400+ day title reign then he'd never get one.

I strongly disagree. Punk/Taker was better than either of the HHH/Taker matches the 2 years prior. "End of an Era" had to be filled with every gimmick under the sun in order to make it interesting.

The Miz deserves another run at the top. He's twice the wrestler CM Punk is right now.

um what?

RP912

Banned
The Miz deserves another run at the top. He's twice the wrestler CM Punk is right now.

102270-dan-aykroyd-scared-drops-cigar-4ryB.gif

wut?

Lets not get too carried away.

What happened with Brock at ER vs Cena was literally just a case of Vince getting back at someone who spurned him, and who ultimately spurned the fans because Vince has never trusted anybody not to bail on him ever since, which is why he only gives the reigns to people he knows are either too insane to leave, or homegrown and with nothing they can realistically go to after he uses them completely up

People thinking it's just like Rock beating Punk just to lose to Cena is kinda confusing tbh

Punk is awesome. He made all the part timers look like a million bucks. Shame he got played in Vince Dollars for it.

Dude was a stuck in his own universe with Fucking axel and ryback. Don't blame him for being salty

Toki767

So if Reigns is on TV tonight, that means last week's rumors of failing the drug test were BS, right?

I'm sure the rumors were BS, but you have to remember that they suspended Harry Smith for failing a drug test in developmental, then brought him up to the main roster for a few weeks and then gave him the suspension.

They never say that a guy has to be suspended on the spot once failing a drug test. They basically pick and choose when to suspend someone which makes their policy a joke.

Sephzilla

Punk/Taker was fantastic, and easily the best match on the card, even with Punk totally carrying the broken-down Taker.

Taker was great in that match. Let's cut that shit out. People need to stop putting CM Punk on this pedestal.

Yeah, Taker and Punk were pretty equal contributors to making that match great. I honestly wish Taker didn't get that concussion at WM30, it somehow made everyone forget that he was still a pretty solid worker in a bunch of Manias before it (maybe WM28 being an exception)

RP912

Banned
Taker was great in that match. Let's cut that shit out. People need to stop putting CM Punk on this pedestal.

This...but to be fair the match was shit but the storytelling was fucking marvelous. Punk and Taker never have good chemistry but with the trolling of Punk and Taker being Taker it worked.

Verendus

Banned
They had the luxury of not having Rock decide to return during those manias.

Let's be honest: CM Punk did not, in any way, shape, or form, deserve to headline any Wrestlemania where the Rock & John Cena would be facing off. CM Punk is a moderately popular pop culture icon who has an ardent fan base. The Rock is the world's most successful action movie star. John Cena is the most popular (even against Punk in his prime) and highest earning WWE star currently.

If CM Punk had stuck around through 2014; there is a decent chance that he's headlining WM against John Cena multiple times. (They may not have pulled the trigger on Taker / Lesnar & Reigns had they not felt they were short main eventers at WM 30). But; Bryan never sniffs the main event (Punk's fanbase transferred over to Bryan, which put him over the top) as a result.
I don't agree with this. Bryan was the more over than Punk has ever been whilst Punk was still there. You can't take that away from him, and say the fanbase went from Punk to him. I'm sure many Punk fans are also Bryan fans, but I don't think that has anything to do with him leaving. The Royal Rumble happened last year, and Punk was in that match. Fans didn't care about anything except Bryan though.

He did a good job being led, so I disagree. Maybe saying he was totally carried was too much, but Punk did carry him on my opinion.

And Punk is that good.

Yeah, Taker and Punk were pretty equal contributors to making that match great. I honestly wish Taker didn't get that concussion at WM30, it somehow made everyone forget that he was still a pretty solid worker in a bunch of Manias before it (maybe WM28 being an exception)

Sports Entertainment fans are fickle. One minute they're bitching about Bork being the champ despite barely turning up. Next minute they're marking out for him doing a double-german suplex and throwing Cena and Rollins around the ring like ragdolls. And in this case, Undertaker gets fucked up one WM, everyone suddenly goes on and on about him being shit for the last few years.

Sephzilla

Correct. He has given us Mizdow though which has been highly, HIGHLY entertaining.

Although they should have kicked into the Miz vs Midow storyline well and truly by this point. Starting to drag a bit.

Agreed. I think they might save Mizdow's full turn on Miz until Raw after Mania at this point.

I don't agree with this. Bryan was the more over than Punk has ever been whilst Punk was still there. You can't take that away from him, and say the fanbase went from Punk to him. I'm sure many Punk fans are also Bryan fans, but I don't think that has anything to do with him leaving. The Royal Rumble happened last year, and Punk was in that match. Fans didn't care about anything except Bryan though.

I'm with you on this, friend Verendus. Bryan was totally over as fuck well before Punk left the company, fans didn't jump ship just because Punk left.

Kaladin

Correct. He has given us Mizdow though which has been highly, HIGHLY entertaining.

Although they should have kicked into the Miz vs Midow storyline well and truly by this point. Starting to drag a bit.

We're into it.

They're trying to get as much heat on Miz as possible before Mizdow stands up for himself.

They're trying to make it as meaningful as they can for a mid-card feud so they're milking the character for now.

I'd wager we get Mizdow turning on Miz at Raw After Mania.

Edit: Damn you SephZilla.

Top Bottom