• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

DMczaf

20150318_RawPreview_brockroman_LARGE.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm in the Diesel Powered era of the WWF. According to big sexy things ran just fine. I'm right at Wrestlemania XI myself and it's been good so far but I remember this PPV being incredibly disappointing the last time I watched it.

Honestly, as much as I don't care about Reigns it's hard to fault WWE on their plan to put him over. It's pretty flawless.

Even if the middle of the story was bad the start and ending point of this push is pretty great. Shame the main guy in the story is someone I don't care.

I honestly can't think of anything Roman has done since rumble. He did the "stand over here, stand over here, ok now I'm not going to talk to you and talk to the camera" promo with Heyman.

I know he has done some more promos and has had a few matches (right?) I think he beat Mark Henry on smackdown and...maybe a few others?

Great way to build the next top star.

I honestly can't think of anything Roman has done since rumble. He did the "stand over here, stand over here, ok now I'm not going to talk to you and talk to the camera" promo with Heyman.

I know he has done some more promos and has had a few matches (right?) I think he beat Mark Henry on smackdown and...maybe a few others?

Great way to build the next top star.

That is the problem I've had with Reigns. The way they booked him in the Rumble was completely s**t house. He didn't do a single memorable thing in the Rumble, except get ragged on by the crowd. That mentality has reflected in his booking Post-Rumble. I honestly fail to see why Roman Reigns is "the guy" to beat Brock Lesnar. They really haven't done anything to make him look or sound like he is the guy. If they're trying to play the underdog card than that has failed considering the crowd is either indifferent or booing him.

It would be one thing if they were booking him to be this memorable killer of a wrestler, at least then I might give a crap about this match-up, but its like they've gone completely out of their way to do absolutely nothing to make the guy look better. Almost as if it were out of spite or a middle finger to the fans as if to say "we don't have to do anything with Reigns and we'll still put him in this main event."

MG310

He had that great match with Bryan and they haven't done much to follow up. Rollins/Orton is the clear main focus of Raw followed by Cena/Rusev.

Roman feels like he's in that CM Punk World Champion of 9:45 spot.

So...then every Joe sidestep spot ever then?

As far as Brock-Roman goes - tomorrow is D-Day for his contract. If he re-signs, then there's a chance he retains against Roman. If I'm in WWE shoes, I sign SOMETHING even if it's just a merchandising deal and get the word out that "Brock Lesnar has signed a new WWE contract". It would be technically true, and they can have Brock agree to not talk about not re-signing a talent deal, which wouldn't be an issue since he's not a media guy and then you get to Mania with a bit more drama. Even if Brock doesn't re-sign, I can see him beating Roman only to have Seth cash in on him. However, that makes giving Roman another title shot tricky. Realistically, Roman's just not the guy right now. As Austin has said, he needs about a year, because now, he'll just be another failed Diesel-level World champion.

DMczaf

Also, in that latest Rock interview, it sounds like he will be at Mania. If Rock is serious about Brock/Rock II and Brock does end up re-signing, then there is no way Roman wins. Why the fuck would Rock come back for his baby cousin's leftovers?

"Hey Brock! I know my baby cousin already beat you, but now I will face you! This is still a big deal, right?!"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Diesel's main failure as a champion stems from two things.

1. Wrestling as a whole was severely down in 1994 and 1995 in the US. It's not like WCW was killing it yet either. Attendance was ghastly.

2. He was a giant 7 foot tall with five moves...and was a baby face. That means instead of facing Bret/HBK/Taker/Razor in matches where he could show how ruthless he was, he had to sell to credible looking heels. This meant the likes of Bam Bam, Mabel, Sid. Oh sure, HBK was heel most of the time...but you can't have him believably sell face in peril against a guy he towers over. So he had to face shitty guys and sell for them month after month. His two competitive matches as a face are a Face/Face with Bret at Royal Rumble 1995 which is a great match with a ton of interference and his match against HBK at WM 11 where HBK steals the show, making Diesel look kind of like a fool while also putting him over and cements himself as the next big babyface for next years program.

The second Diesel loses the belt to Bret and becomes a tweener he immediately starts having the best matches of his career against Bret/HBK/Taker.

As far as Reigns goes he probably won't have that sort of problem even if they went with him as a face champion. He's not that big so that he'd have to pull off a credible face in peril to the likes of Big Show and Kane week after week and he has a bunch of natural opponents already lined up. His problem is that they stopped booking him like an unbeatable monster a few weeks back and that the Rumble for many reasons didn't help him. None of his eliminations really mattered or looked good. They tried with Show and Kane but it just didn't make him look strong. 2004 John Cena would have put both of them on his back and tossed them out.

Diesel's main failure as a champion stems from two things.

1. Wrestling as a whole was severely down in 1994 and 1995 in the US. It's not like WCW was killing it yet either. Attendance was ghastly.

2. He was a giant 7 foot tall with five moves...and was a baby face. That means instead of facing Bret/HBK/Taker/Razor in matches where he could show how ruthless he was, he had to sell to credible looking heels. This meant the likes of Bam Bam, Mabel, Sid. Oh sure, HBK was heel most of the time...but you can't have him believably sell face in peril against a guy he towers over. So he had to face shitty guys and sell for them month after month. His two competitive matches as a face are a Face/Face with Bret at Royal Rumble 1995 which is a great match with a ton of interference and his match against HBK at WM 11 where HBK steals the show, making Diesel look kind of like a fool while also putting him over and cements himself as the next big babyface for next years program.

The second Diesel loses the belt to Bret and becomes a tweener he immediately starts having the best matches of his career against Bret/HBK/Taker.

As far as Reigns goes he probably won't have that sort of problem even if they went with him as a face champion. He's not that big so that he'd have to pull off a credible face in peril to the likes of Big Show and Kane week after week and he has a bunch of natural opponents already lined up. His problem is that they stopped booking him like an unbeatable monster a few weeks back and that the Rumble for many reasons didn't help him. None of his eliminations really mattered or looked good. They tried with Show and Kane but it just didn't make him look strong. 2004 John Cena would have put both of them on his back and tossed them out.

Business was in the shitter, but with Diesel on top, things were were than they were with Bret on top. Nash didn't have moves then - he had the same pat hand as ever, but he did a plancha every now and then. Nash was the lowest-drawing champion in many years at that point, and it wasn't just a matter of "well, business was down" because business COULD be hot.

LA was on fire thanks to the lucha boom, which gave WCW a big leg up for the next few years (that they largely squandered) while WCW itself managed to get a couple of good buyrates out of Hogan despite their core fanbase absolutely hating him because he was Mr. WWF and WCW and the WWF had radically different die-hard fanbases due to presenting completely different products.

Brock's only going to re-sign if he A - gets a gigantic offer that trumps his current deal or B - truly has no intention of fighting again. Brock's been a competitor for much of his life and it would be foolish for him to re-sign before at least knowing what UFC and Bellator, with Viacom's backing, are willing to pay him. UFC can give him greater fame and PPV points, but he'll lose out on sponsors. He can get those in Bellator, but have to trade in being for the #2 brand, but also having a chance at a title given how their heavyweight division is even more limited than UFC's.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WCW's attendance in 1995 was dire. Their big year was 1994 with Hogan goosing the numbers but after he went through Flair and Vader he just wasn't drawing at all. They both end the year on the right path though.

WCW's attendance in 1995 was dire. Their big year was 1994 with Hogan goosing the numbers but after he went through Flair and Vader he just wasn't drawing at all. They both end the year on the right path though.

I love the concept of Starrcade 1995 with WCW vs. New Japan.

if he hasn't signed yet (which he likely has a deal either with ufc or wwe verbally), he'll pull a punk and sign wm day.

According to Meltzer, they are treating Monday as the last day before they decide what happens in the main event. Meaning if he doesn't sign tomorrow night, they will go through with Mania planning as if he isn't re-signing at all.

Oh my god, Metsfan is back on reddit, and his news is quite literally "they might talk about Perro Aguayo on Raw, or they might not". Amazing insight there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Flair and Macho drew pretty well. It was Flair and Hogan that really underwhelmed. Which is funny as the two actually have some good ring chemistry back then.

NoRéN

This weekend is going to be crazy! NXT on Friday, Wrestlemania on Sunday, and Raw next Monday.
Got my tickets for NXT in the mail this weekend! Hype increasing!

So much wrestling for me this week:
Sat - Lucha underground
sun - Lucha underground
Mon - Raw
Tues - rest
Wed - prepare for trip
Thurs - prepare for trip
Friday - drive and NXT
Sat - wrestlecon
Sun - Wrestlemania

VoxPop

It's time for my annual I'm done with wrestling forever after mania phase. For once it doesn't seem as hard. No Brock and Punk WWE is a sad place. Couldn't care less about jobbers like DBry, Ambrose or Rollins.

NoRéN

Damn, I wish I could go to the LU tapings. How does one score tickets to that?

It's gotten a bit more difficult lately due to their increasing popularity but it consists of keeping an eye on their social media and emailing them on the announce date. I've only scored standing section tickets(balcony where some of the luchadores enter) but the view is great and we get to see them up close. The tickets being free more than makes up for having to stand.

Real talk: "Dashing" Cody Rhodes and "I'm ugly and so are you. No one look at me." Cody Rhodes are the best runs Cody's ever had.

Vanilla Face Cody Rhodes during the Authority storyline where he got fired could've been special as well. Dude should've been up in a Bryan/Punk trinity and carry that company.

Vanilla Face Cody Rhodes during the Authority storyline where he got fired could've been special as well. Dude should've been up in a Bryan/Punk trinity and carry that company.
My only exposure to Cody comes from watching him as Stardust. I understand the wasted potential with the gimmick, the dude can cut a promo better than most current wrasslers. Are there any matches prior to Stardust that were exceptional or is the praise mostly due to his character?

Top Bottom