• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
10979533_815340631886507_724288955_n.jpg
His face already looks different.
185 most likely.

My offer to the UFC to lay down for Punk still stands, just have to pay me.
I'd do it for 5k, what's your price?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
What would you have done?

IC Champ for a year then WHC shot?

WWE is not exactly swimming in proven $$$ talent. They are trying to make a few.

I am just happy that Cena is getting lost in the fold. the day he walks away, my love for wrestling will come back.

All 3 Shield guys should have done more singles stuff prior to their split. Fucking Ambrose was US champ for a year and still barely ever wrestled singles.

Gonzalez

Banned
Why was Heyman on some next level shit last night?

Where did that come from? That was the strongest promo I have heard in over a year.
Probably because he realizes that there is four weeks till Mania, Reigns isn't clicking, Brock would rather be back in the Octagon, CM Punk is still over, and did I mention that there are only 4 weeks away!!!

Or maybe this is what Vince is thinking...

What would you have done?

IC Champ for a year then WHC shot?

WWE is not exactly swimming in proven $$$ talent. They are trying to make a few.

I am just happy that Cena is getting lost in the fold. the day he walks away, my love for wrestling will come back.

Yes. That's an apt suggestion.

jmdajr

Nope, it is a fair and balanced approach and there is no exaggeration. If he was in the intercontinental title picture, developing more, he wouldn't get the response he has.

Heh. Yeah ok.

I guess ride the hate train until you find another to jump on to.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
CM Punk is a Shogun or Rampage level nickname. No one is going to call him Phil Brooks regardless of what Bruce Buffer says.

Fuck it, I'll go down to 2.5k and a lifetime supply of corn nuts® corn to the core.

i0mzeoqz3QAqa.gif

You got me beat, breh.

Paracelsus

The thing with Cena and Batista is that initially both were potentially on the endangered species list, a bit like Rocky Maivia (or the Ringmaster?). Then, Batista exploited the "please someone just get us rid of HHH" momentum, his looks were believable and he got over. Cena had to completely repackage himself and worked kinda as a tweener.

Reigns in comparison doesn't look like he earned anything he got.

As far as the belt is concerned, neither Cena nor Batista spent time carrying meaningful belts. Cena got the US title in two separate reigns, but most of the time it was spent chasing after the belt. Batista won the tag titles and got pinned clean on PPV by someone a hundred pounds lighter.

Heh. Yeah ok.

I figured you wouldn't have much of a response.

I don't hate Roman. There's no hate here. Simply honesty. I'd love it if he became good, because that would mean another entertaining person to watch, at a time when they're very much needed. I don't see it happening with him at all, but I'd love to be surprised.

Of course it's easier to claim someone is a hater, and rides hate trains, than to give a valid rebuttal.

jmdajr

I figured you wouldn't have much of a response.

I don't hate Roman. There's no hate here. Simply honesty. I'd love it if he became good, because that would mean another entertaining person to watch, at a time when they're very much needed. I don't see it happening with him at all, but I'd love to be surprised.

Of course it's easier to claim someone is a hater, and rides hate trains, than to give a valid rebuttal.

What fuking rebuttal do you need? Go read the fucking posts from last night. It was a bitch fest.

That's all the proof you need.

slit

I just read about Samoa Joe is close to signing a deal with WWE.

I'm kind of surprised. I didn't think they would touch him.

Good for him though, I always thought he had a lot of talent.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The IC title is hopeless, it will never be elevated, the only thing the match is gonna do is devalue Bryan in the eyes of the fans, his pops are already getting considerably smaller

The US title says hi. I don't know if his pops are getting smaller; we know at the RR that the building is terrible acoustics-wise; and last night there seemed to be all sorts of problems with the sound system. He got a pretty big pop last night though.

Being in a multiman match at WM means that you're not relevant enough to be in a big WM feud, being in the ladder match or battle royale basically means "we don't have shit for you & we want to squeeze you in the card anyway".

Thank god Rollins & Orton are having a big match at WM (despite how overbooked the feud is right now), otherwise I might skip WM altogether.

Man, they sure must not have had anything for Orton, Bryan, and Batista last year; just shoved them into a multi-man match. Though I would hope the lack of PPV buys (and PPV bonuses) would allow them to trim down PPV cards and not overexpose their main stars. (WM being an obvious exception)

One thought from last night's RAW crowd.

- Smarks complain about lack of women's wrestling, proceed to chant "JBL", "Booker T", and then "CM Punk" at AJ.
- Smarks complain about lack of wrestling on RAW, main event is a good Rollins/Reigns match, and there's "JBL" "Randy Savage" etc. chants. Loud, too, not one-off morons.
- Smarks boo Reigns, whole arena makes the "ooooh" sound before spear.

More than anything else, more than good matches or good promos or whatever, wrestling fans just want to chant shit. That's it. That's the essence of pro wrestling fandom.

Going to RAWs live really shows the entire "we want to look good on TV" chants vs "actual fandom" split. Nothing ever beats going to RAWs and hearing 20-35 year old males boo the hell out of Cena until the cameras turn off, at which point they start cheering him harder than anyone else in the building (mind you, this was in Seattle of all places during the infamous Bryan Hijack RAW). Also, 4 hour events (RAW tapings are usually 4 hours) are BRUTAL; people can't keep their energy up that long.

Part of it is that the show gets boring after a while; you can't keep people's energy high for 3-4 hours. The AJ thing was super, super disrespectful IMO. Those were just folks being marks for themselves. Welcome to the YouTube era of fandom, I suppose.

The what chants will die when wrestlers stop delivering promos in predictable cadences

I didn't know "taking a breath like a normal human being" counts as a predictable cadence. Most people talk normally in a repetitive cadence. The only way you will be able to start stopping it is to make fun of the fans for being sheep and trying to get them to chant "What?" while laughing at them for being sad sheeple.

Why was Heyman on some next level shit last night?

Where did that come from? That was the strongest promo I have heard in over a year.

Heyman is approaching GOAT of all time talker status. I didn't think that was possible. The Andre line was brutal, and him ripping into the Bryan fans was next level stuff. I love the idea of him overbuilding up Reigns to prove his point about how dominant Lesnar is (Cena's the king of doing this, every heel he faces is an existential threat). It also sets up seeds for a potential Heyman / Reigns turn at WM.

What fuking rebuttal do you need? Go read the fucking posts from last night. It was a bitch fest.

That's all the proof you need.
That Roman isn't good? Yes I know. It is all the proof I need. It's not bitching. It's annoying having someone rammed down an audiences throat who simply isn't good at what he does. Could some people be a bit extreme with how they express their dislike for him? Sure. But I haven't been, and boo'ing him is very appropriate. I'd have to see specific posts to know what you're referring to exactly.

Sephzilla

Heh. Yeah ok.

I wouldn't call it a hate train but there's plenty of fair criticism to throw at Roman Reigns. Out of the three Shield members he's easily the worst when it comes to singles matches. Ambrose and Rollins can talk circles around Roman for days. The one edge Roman has at all is that he's got family ties and has an admittedly good look even if he fits the mold of the stereotypical "Vince Guy".

When you compare him to the rest of the higher-ups in the roster the same trend happens. Ambrose, Rollins, Cena, Wyatt, even Bryan can all out talk him and I'm tempted to even include Ryback in this list. Ziggler, Brock, Rollins, Ambrose, Rusev, Cena, and Bryan can all easily out wrestle him. The main edge Roman again has is his look.

And yet despite being fairly low on the list in terms of 2 of the 3 biggest things when it comes to being a main eventer, he's still getting pushed higher than a lot of those guys this year. I think it's fair to throw these criticisms at a guy who's about to headline WrestleMania.

I didn't know "taking a breath like a normal human being" counts as a predictable cadence. Most people talk normally in a repetitive cadence. The only way you will be able to start stopping it is to make fun of the fans for being sheep and trying to get them to chant "What?" while laughing at them for being sad sheeple.

The people

who get WHAT chants

are people

who do all of their promos

like this.

Which is why

Triple H

got WHAT-'d

a fucking ton

compared to

a lot

of other talent.

I'm pretty sure one of the things they're teaching at NXT is to deliver promos more like a normal human being instead of like William Shatner.

btw amiami is totally legit. i got my bugman warriors from there relatively fast

Excellent, cheers man - once I've got my order through I think I'll email them and see if they can procure more up-to-date New Japan merch, with puroresushop AWOL there's nowhere to import without having to pay exorbitant buyer fees.

Wait, you're on twitter? I thought I had all the WrassleGAF guys followed on there.

Data West said:
That's cool. I always thought when they first started having the DGUSA stuff and started using more gaijins that it would be more like contractors and employees and be kind of stand-offish or unfamiliar, but it sounds like Dragon Gate is one big family which is refreshing to see.

Definitely, you get the impression that a lot of the NJ guys, for instance, aren't exactly fond of each other, but there seems to be some great camaraderie in Dragon Gate. I thought it was telling that Mad Blankey broke character and came out to wish Uhaa farewell, that was a nice touch.

Sephzilla

Just checked and yup, he is. Also, How is it CM Punk got to keep the name? Doesn't Vince usually have ownership of the wrestlers names?

Punk had the name before he was a WWE talent and Heyman talked Vince into letting him keep it. Which is why Punk and Sting might be the last two people ever to keep their ring names from other promotions when they go to WWE (as long as Vince runs the company)

iMax

Punk had the name before he was a WWE talent and Heyman talked Vince into letting him keep it. Which is why Punk and Sting might be the last two people ever to keep their ring names from other promotions when they go to WWE (as long as Vince runs the company)

So what's the deal with The Rock? I've never understood who actually owns that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just checked and yup, he is. Also, How is it CM Punk got to keep the name? Doesn't Vince usually have ownership of the wrestlers names?

He's always had the right to the name since he got signed. Vince probably didn't think he'd be a money draw so conceded on it.

I just read about Samoa Joe is close to signing a deal with WWE.

I'm kind of surprised. I didn't think they would touch him.

Good for him though, I always thought he had a lot of talent.

They are trying to make NXT a touring brand so they are going to have to get all the top indy names to try to sell ticket, especially if they move people like Balor and Zayn to the main roster.

That Roman isn't good? Yes I know. It is all the proof I need. It's not bitching. It's annoying having someone rammed down an audiences throat who simply isn't good at what he does. Could some people be a bit extreme with how they express their dislike for him? Sure. But I haven't been, and boo'ing him is very appropriate. I'd have to see specific posts to know what you're referring to exactly.

It's the same shit the guy with Tom/Jerry av pulled that we're saying you and everyone else are pulling. If you cared that he wasn't ready and don't care about Bryan being back, why on earth did you and basically 99% of the people saying it here not say it until Bryan came back? It was super obvious then that Reigns was ending Mania holding gold. Why did only like 3 or 4 of you speak up about "not ready" until Bryan had something to do with it?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Excellent, cheers man - once I've got my order through I think I'll email them and see if they can procure more up-to-date New Japan merch, with puroresushop AWOL there's nowhere to import without having to pay exorbitant buyer fees.

Wait, you're on twitter? I thought I had all the WrassleGAF guys followed on there.

Definitely, you get the impression that a lot of the NJ guys, for instance, aren't exactly fond of each other, but there seems to be some great camaraderie in Dragon Gate. I thought it was telling that Mad Blankey broke character and came out to wish Uhaa farewell, that was a nice touch.
They sold the TenKoji/Tanahashi nendoroids when those came out.

I have one to follow people but not post on. Have to keep up with shit X-Pac tweets.

I get the impression that no one in New Japan likes Tanahashi, and that's why Tanahashi has to resort to hanging out with the Young Lions. Like the college dude who dates high school girls.

It's the same shit the guy with Tom/Jerry av pulled that we're saying you and everyone else are pulling. If you cared that he wasn't ready and don't care about Bryan being back, why on earth did you and basically 99% of the people saying it here not say it until Bryan came back? It was super obvious then that Reigns was ending Mania holding gold. Why did only like 3 or 4 of you speak up about "not ready" until Bryan had something to do with it?
Well, I don't think I really posted in this thread much before the rumble for one.

Second, it wasnt until after the rumble that their plans for mania were abundantly clear. Yes, of course I saw the momentum going towards Reigns for the rumble, but I honestly didn't expect the WWE to actually be stupid enough, and out of touch enough to follow through with that plan. That's my fault for once again underestimating their seemingly unlimited stupidity.

Additionally, Daniel Bryan was such an obvious great choice to go against Brock. There are a number of factors here. Roman being solidified in his position is what I really think raised the ire of many. I would be fine with him in a midcard slot, because that's where he belongs.

tm24

So AAA is having a press conference where they'll probably reveal Rey. Should be fun how they screw this up!

Top Bottom