• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| Forecast for Wrestlemania...cloudy with a heavy chance of Reigns

notworksafe

You've got some rough ones coming up...

Yeah I'm getting into territory now where I was taking a break from wrestling in general at the time so the next five or six are gonna be ones I've never seen before. I'm working from home today so if they are terrible they can just be background noise.

Greetings, friend. Time to undergo the WrassleGAF Entry Ritual! Give us your Fave Five Wrasslers of ALL TIME!

It's been ages since I saw 20. Maybe I should go back.

20 was very good I thought...except for Lesnar/Goldberg, for obvious reasons.

A Top Five is tough but let's see...

1. Mr Perfect - Always been my fav. I thought he was the coolest and still do.

2. Sabu - Not everyone is a fan of extreme and I'll admit some goes too far for me but the stuff Sabu has done just blows my mind

3. Stone Cold - Another nostalgia pick. He was super cool to me at 14 remains so do this day. Plus I like his podcast.

4. Terry Funk - Just an amazing worker. It blows my mind that he had an entire career to be proud of...then did it again with ECW and WWE. Dude still wrestles once in a while at 70. Crazy!

5. Ric Flair - Best ever on the mic, without question. Not always the best in the ring but he could sell and make me believe almost anything while he was in there.

UberTag

Probably just stayed there for a really long time and got promoted
Prichard was around for longer (albeit non-consecutively) and got passed over for the job by DeMott... who brought with him similar baggage and allegations from the last training gig he had with Deep South Wrestling.

notworksafe

Doing the same thing myself - through the first 4. The early WMs are really, really rough. 3 was great though - Savage/Steamboat was awesome. Also kind of amazed at how awful Rude/Roberts was in WM4. Like it was really dreadful.

Savage/Steamboat was the best match of those early WMs. Really amazing work by both dudes.

Also thanks to all who welcomed me. Everyone is so friendly here!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They worked hard to get DeMott fired according to Simon Dean's shoot back when he was in DSW because of similar allegations.

Then WWE waited a couple months for shit to die down and rehired him. So that's all you'll get if they #FireDeMott

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A Top Five is tough but let's see...

1. Mr Perfect - Always been my fav. I thought he was the coolest and still do.

2. Sabu - Not everyone is a fan of extreme and I'll admit some goes too far for me but the stuff Sabu has done just blows my mind

3. Stone Cold - Another nostalgia pick. He was super cool to me at 14 remains so do this day. Plus I like his podcast.

4. Terry Funk - Just an amazing worker. It blows my mind that he had an entire career to be proud of...then did it again with ECW and WWE. Dude still wrestles once in a while at 70. Crazy!

5. Ric Flair - Best ever on the mic, without question. Not always the best in the ring but he could sell and make me believe almost anything while he was in there.

Good to see Terry Funk and Ric Flair on there. Lots of people hate Sabu but he was a lot of fun, and Mr Perfect was, WELLLLLLLL Perfect.

Who's your favorite manager? Either Heenan or Gary Hart, right?

Yeah, but Ariana is a "POP LEGEND~!"
ibs1oU48ox6grG.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Good to see Terry Funk and Ric Flair on there. Lots of people hate Sabu but he was a lot of fun, and Mr Perfect was, WELLLLLLLL Perfect.

Don't try to color his views.

It's Freddie Blassie, obviously.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ariana's brother is a real star. Forget music, Frankie Grande is the shining jewel of their family.

XenoRaven

How much Tough Love should a trainer be allowed to give you? How do you set up a system to really get the guys prepared for life on the road? Should you be put through obstacles that have no place in your actual line of future work? Where should the line be drawn?
Here's a good rule. If they don't do it in Army basic training, you shouldn't do it to your wrestling students. I never had to wrestle anyone naked and nobody ever struck me. We turn people out of basic training that then go pick up weapons and put their lives on the line and they seem to generally be properly equipped for the job. There is no reason for a wrestling trainer who trains people to fake fight to do the things Bill DeMott does other than the fact that he's personally amused by them.

notworksafe

Heenan without question.

Paul Heyman is something special too but he's not really a traditional "manager". He's a hypeman for when Brock isn't around but he doesn't do the typical manager stuff.

Yeah I'm getting into territory now where I was taking a break from wrestling in general at the time so the next five or six are gonna be ones I've never seen before. I'm working from home today so if they are terrible they can just be background noise.
Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good to great stuff in there, but it's one or two per show spread among garbage to decent range rest of the card :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If people want actual change with this DeMott shit, they should be contacting WWE advertisers and the anti-bullying campaigns they are a part of.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There's worse things than watching all the Wrestlemanias.
You could have to watch all the Starcades instead. I love WCW, but god, Starcade was not a place where great matches tended to happen.

WWE would never employ bullies. Where's that story about Zack Ryder and Vince McMahon again?

notworksafe

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good to great stuff in there, but it's one or two per show spread among garbage to decent range rest of the card :/

It's funny...I stopped watching in around 04/05 but before I stopped one of the dudes I always was in to was Cena. Then when I came back I just thought "Who the fuck is this new Cena?" Watching WM20 just made me realize how much I liked the old Cena again.

It's a bit of an unpopular opinion but I do still like "face of the company" Cena. He's the best dude to put out as a front man and he actually has gotten better in the ring...even if it's taken him a while.

I think the new "washed up old man" thing they're doing is about 3-4 years ahead of schedule but it's all going to end with him getting a Rocky moment while Hulk Hogan lifits his arm up so I imagine he'll recover.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You could have to watch all the Starcades instead. I love WCW, but god, Starcade was not a place where great matches tended to happen.

WWE would never employ bullies. Where's that story about Zack Ryder and Vince McMahon again?

I watched the first Starrcade last night.

There was a LOT of blood. I think literally every single match had at least 1 guy covered in blood.

And there was a really, really young Tony Schiavone. Kind of blew my mind.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I had no problem with Vince's cruel rib on Ryder.

bjork

Demott could bare-ass stinkface me if it meant I never had to see Taylor Swift in here any more.

Shit's worse than the captain shit awhile ago, come on homiez.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know where I can find this dope-ass movie, Los Campeones Justicieros?
tumblr_nkk6ipcYLV1ruwpoco1_500.gif

notworksafe

notworksafe are you freckle? you have to tell us if you are.
I...don't think so?

Oh hello notworksafe, nice to have new faces here.

What was your opinion of WM 2000?

Benoit/Angle/Jericho was a really great match. The Hardcore match was hilarious, always good to see Taz mixing it up.

The rest...ehhhh. If nothing else it reminded me of the whole bizarre Linda McMahon in a wheelchair storyline, which was one of the silliest things WWE has ever done. Can't ever accuse Vince of not trying his hardest to make himself into the most heelish heel of all time.

dream

If people want actual change with this DeMott shit, they should be contacting WWE advertisers and the anti-bullying campaigns they are a part of.

I'm kind of torn about this, Sunflower. I feel that WWE has done a fantastic job of whitewashing professional wrestling, and we often forget what a scummy business it actually is. There really is very little of value in professional wrestling, and what these young boys are complaining about stem from them having unrealistic expectations of the business because of WWE's marketing. Complaining about DeMott hitting you in the face with the bottom rope? Crying about being called "half-a-sissy?" That's pro wrestling! It takes a certain toughness to actually make it--I mean, shit, Hiro Matsuda broke Hulk's leg, and Hulk ended up becoming a 5x WWF world champion.

So on one hand, I sort of suspect these young boys kind of have that Tumblr mentality, where they're oversensitive little twits with no physical or emotional toughness whatsoever. Complaining about DeMott calling a guy whose last name is Pettyfer "Pedophile" is some serious sissy shit. If they think it's bad now, what are they going to do when they get to the main roster and thrust into a culture of "ribbing?"

On the other hand, in what world is it okay to be homophobic or physically abusive in a professional setting? Only in pro wrestling. Proving once again that pro wrestling is really some bottom of the barrel bullshit that we should all be embarrassed to watch.

Having said that, this part made me legit lol:

However on the flip side Steve Keirn, Ricky Steamboat, Terry Taylor and Billy Gunn have all been positive influences since joining this company.

THEY ARE BEING TRAINED BY SKINNER, THE DRAGON, THE RED ROOSTER, AND BILLY GUNN

notworksafe, I would like to welcome you to the community by formally introducing you to our queen, the current NXT Women's champion, Sasha Banks.

tumblr_njn07sFChE1srbyoyo1_500.png

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
It'll be alright. She has some dope shit coming in the near future. It's a real mindfuck being around someone that does singing for a living. It's always like, been something people did in their spare time, not make a lot of money doing.

Aight; long as you both are happy - that's what matters. Hopefully the new stuff is awesome. :D (I'd tell you to let us know so we can buy it and support her, but I get the need for privacy)

Yeah the hypocrisy of having the Be A Star initiative and the Rise Above Hate stuff is a big part of what really disgusts me. Aside from the Make A Wish stuff, all of the public work they do comes across as very shallow.

Indeed. The reason I like Cena so much is that I've a) been a Wish Kid before and b) Worked with Make-A-Wish in the past. WWE does some of the most amazing wishes I've ever been a part of - for the couple I've been on here, they even follow up with the kids on a regular basis for years and years afterward. Also, Cena is hilariously corny in real life - but it just is much funnier in person. I''ve met most of the current superstars a couple of times already, part of the reasons I like Cena, Reigns, Ambrose, and Rusev are that they are awesome dudes in real life. As is Wyatt. Little kids are transfixed by the beard, and he is extraordinarily permissive when it comes to little kids pulling on his beard for minutes on end. Also, I adore Steph and HHH; you can tell their parental instincts go on OVERDRIVE around the kids (Steph turns into the biggest mom and she can't do anything about it. Everyone in the locker room starts laughing their asses off, including HHH). (Other awesome superstars: Kofi, Big E, AJ, Paige, Bellas, Mark Henry)

I don't know if it is even possible any more, but I know Cena used to call tons of the wish kids on their birthdays for years after the fact and keep up with them. Also, they often get free tickets to all WWE events in their area for a while.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Come watch Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends on Pro Wrestling - where he visits the WCW Power Plant and is a subject of some of this abuse. Really good episode, airing right now at our channel http://taima.tv/r/neogaf

Pop in and watch.

notworksafe

Since I'm here and posting now...question for WWE Network subs here: Does anyone else have an issue where WWE will just "forget" to charge you? Every few months my Paypal won't get charged, and I'll see my sub has been removed from my Paypal account. So I'll have to resubscribe.

I'm curious if it's a Paypal issue or a WWE issue.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
These millennial developmentals wouldn't last 2 seconds in the ring with THE MAN*, friend dream.
tumblr_nkp46nyQy01tihmddo2_r1_400.gif

(I was really disappointed he didn't go Street Fighter on the car)
tumblr_nkp46nyQy01tihmddo1_400.gif

*I didn't mean to trigger anyone by using the male gender as a reference point of position.

Top Bottom