• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.
cyvMO.jpg

People moaning about paying $65 for WM... just think of the poor sods who have put down hundreds -- if not thousands -- to go and see it.

:(

I am currently debating putting down the €22 for Sky (which is just under $30). I can understand people getting pissed at $60.

I would not touch any PPV any that price if the prices matched up over here.

rCIZZLE

People moaning about paying $65 for WM... just think of the poor sods who have put down hundreds -- if not thousands -- to go and see it.

Eh, I think it won't be as bad as everyone thinks. The buildup was horrible but some of the matches should be WM worthy.

Kaladin

Even WWE.com raised their normal price. It's usually $45 and there it is $54.95.

I guess still savings if you're paying $65 for HD....WWE.com is HD. I recommend WWE.com for PPV as always.

bart jr

Neo Member
Hey Chicago-Gaf, I could really use your advice.

My previous living arrangements fell through for the ROH/Chikara show, so we(friend, girlfriend and myself) will need to get a hotel room for the weekend.

We are leaving Ohio on Thursday and will probably stay in Chicago until Sunday morning. We figured it will be cheaper to stay near the venue in Chicago Ridge rather than downtown, but I've never been to Chicago Ridge before. What is the area like? Are there any hotels in particular you would recommend? We plan on hanging downtown in the city pretty much all day Friday - how bad is the drive? Google Maps says it is only a 20 minute trek, but I wasn't sure if the traffic leading TO downtown is as bad as it actually is downtown itself. Thanks in advance guys.

I most definitely would not be buying WrestleMania if the UK prices were in-line with the US ones - it's costing me £14.99 ($24). Can't believe that even the WWE stream costs over double that. Crazy.

Meanwhile, it's costing just $36.97 for the four iPPVs this weekend;

posters.png

Friday, March 30th;

• CIMA & Ricochet (c) vs Chuck Taylor & Johnny Gargano - Open the United Gate Title Match
    • Low Ki vs PAC
    • Masaaki Mochizuki vs Akira Tozawa
    • Masato Yoshino vs Rich Swann
    • Sabu & Jon Davis vs Arik Cannon & Pinkie Sanchez - Street Fight
    • Sami Callihan vs BxB Hulk
    • AR Fox vs Uhaa Nation
    • Also Scheduled to Appear - Bobby Fish, Caleb Konley & Scott Reed

Open the Ultimate Gate 2012 - the feud between Sami Callihan of the D.U.F. and AR Fox continues, as they pick each others opponents in a pair of singles matches. For AR Fox, Sami has picked the gigantic Uhaa Nation, while for Callihan, Fox has picked inaugural Open the Freedom Gate champion BxB Hulk. The D.U.F. have also angered the homicidal, suicidal, genocidal, death-defying maniac Sabu, and he and his parter Jon Davis will take on Pinkie Sanchez & Arik Cannon in a street fight. Also, in a special challenge match WORLD-1's Masato Yoshino will take on Ronin's Rich Swann, after Swann bowed out of the main event to make way for Johnny Gargano. Meanwhile, after Akira Tozawa turned on CIMA, took over Blood Warriors and bizarely renamed them 'Mad Blankey', Tozawa now has to face the tough challenge of Masaaki Mochizuki, representing CIMA's returning faction the Veteran Army in the first of the evening's main events. In the second main event, a highly anticipated First Time Ever encounter, WORLD-1's PAC, one of the best highflyers today, takes on the fearsome test of the one and only Low Ki! And finally, in the final main event of the evening Chuck Taylor & Johnny Gargano of Ronin finally get their shot at the Open the United Gate tag team titles, facing off against the champions CIMA & Ricochet. This match poses questions about both teams, as there may be some dissension within their ranks. For Ronin, Chuck Taylor was scheduled to team with Rich Swann, but was caught on camera saying he didn't have confidence in Swann to get the job done and would rather team with Gargano and as a result, Swann backed out of the match. For CIMA & Ricochet, however, things are more complicated as they won the titles while members of the Blood Warriors faction, but were subsequently kicked out after Tozawa's take-over. Ricochet then joined Yoshino's WORLD-1 faction, while CIMA revived the Veteran Army, so the champions go in to Open the Ultimate Gate 2012 representing different factions in what is sure to be a stellar main event.

• Davey Richards (c) vs Roderick Strong vs Eddie Edwards - Triple Threat ROH World Heavyweight Title Match
    • Lance Storm vs Mike Bennett
    • Jay Lethal (c) vs Kyle O'Reilly - ROH TV Title Match
    • Kevin Steen vs El Generico
    • The All-Night Express vs The Young Bucks - Street Fight
    • The Briscoe Brothers vs The Mighty Don't Kneel - Proving Ground Match
    • Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team vs Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander
    • Also Scheduled to Appear - Michael Elgin, Tommaso Ciampa & Adam Cole
If you want to take advantage of the DGUSA $1.99 live viewing price, but still want to watch ROH, GFL have confirmed that the replay of Night 1 will be up no more than 2-3 hours after the event finishes.

Showdown in the Sun: Day 1 - Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander recently got a surprise upset victory over former ROH Tag Champs Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin, Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team, after the Briscoe Brothers interefered and cost them the match. While Haas & Benjamin go on to try and reclaim their titles on the 31st, on the 30th they look to set right their loss to the young Coleman & Alexander. Meanwhile, the current ROH Tag Champs, The Briscoe Brothers, face off in a Proving Ground match against the young Australian duo of Shane Haste & Mikey Nicholls, collectively known as The Mighty Don't Kneel. Haste & Nicholls have made waves in the past year with a number of impressive tours of Pro-Wrestling NOAH and a TNA try-out under their belts, but they face some serious competition here against #DemBoys, The Briscoe Brothers. Next, after The Young Bucks cost The All-Night Express a shot at the tag titles, the ANX have been out for retribution and the two teams will compete this weekend in a 'Dual Duel', two matches with a stipulation set by each team. On Friday night, The All-Night Express will face The Young Bucks in a Street Fight! Then, in what is sure to be an all-out war, 'Wrestling's Worst Nightmare' Kevin Steen takes on his former tag partner, El Generico, who is out for revenge after Steen brutalised him at Final Battle 2011 last December, leaving him suffering with serious injury. Generico had not been seen or heard from since then, but a few weeks ago Generico sent ROH officials two words that made his intent perfectly clear; 'La Ravancha' ~ Revenge. In the first title match of the evening, ROH TV Champ Jay Lethal will defend his belt against Kyle O'Reily, who earned a title shot after a number of impressive performances these past few months in which he has become embroidled in a feud with his former tag partner Adam Cole, who he will face the following day. Up next, in a particularly unique singles match, 'The Canadian Icon' Lance Storm returns to ROH to challenge 'The Prodigy' Mike Bennett, who he feels has a ton of potential, but needs to learn a lesson in honour and respect. Bennett, meanwhile, is out to embarass Storm and make the veteran retire once and for all. And finally, in the main event of the evening, the ROH World Heavyweight Title will be defended by Davey Richards in a Triple Threat, after no No.1 Contender could be decided between challengers Eddie Edwards & Roderick Strong.

Saturday, March 31st;

• Blind Destiny - one of these 3 matches will be for the world title, depending on the outcome of Friday's main event;
      • Davey Richards vs Michael Elgin
      • Roderick Strong vs Jay Lethal
      • Eddie Edwards vs Kevin Steen
    • The Briscoe Brothers (c) vs Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team - ROH World Tag Team Title Match
    • The Young Bucks vs The All-Night Express - Tornado Tag Rules
    • Kyle O'Reilly vs Adam Cole
    • TJ Perkins vs Fire Ant - ROH vs CHIKARA
    • Also Scheduled to Appear - Tommaso Ciampa, Cedric Alexander, Caprice Coleman & Mike Bennett

Showdown in the Sun: Day 2 - the announcement that ROH and CHIKARA were working together to promote a pair of shows entitled 'Synergy' later in the year has had unforseen consequences, as tempers flared when during a Proving Ground match the ROH Tag Champs, The Briscoe Brothers, attempted to remove the mask of Hallowicked, which is seen as the ultimate disrespect in CHIKARA. Several CHIKARA roster members luckily made the save, but then at the 10th Anniversary Show CHIKARA Grand Champion Eddie Kingston was interrupted mid-speech by Kevin Steen, whose words engraged The War King and prompted a wild brawl between ROH and CHIKARA roster members. Two of those men will now face off, as 'Technical Lightning' TJ Perkins takes on Fire Ant of the Colony. Then, in a meeting of former tag partners, Kyle O'Reilly goes up against Adam Cole. The two men, known collectively as 'Future Shock', were casualties of the bad blood between ROH World Champ Davey Richards and his former tag partner Eddie Edwards. O'Reilly, the protoge of Richards, sided with his mentor, while Cole decided to turn his back on O'Reilly and join up with Eddie Edwards and now Cole & O'Reilly face off in singles competition. In the second 'Dual Duel' match of the weekend, The All-Night Express again take on The Young Bucks, but this time the stipulation has been chosen by the Bucks, and it will be a Tornado Tag match! Afterwards, The Briscoe Brothers, Jay & Mark, will defend their ROH World Tag Team Titles against former champions Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin, Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team. Since The Briscoes recaptured the titles from Haas & Benjamin, tensions have been rising between the two teams, with WGGT being fined and suspened by ROH for viciously attacking The Briscoes with chairs, while The Briscoes got a measure of revenge by costing WGGT a match against Coleman & Alexander on ROH TV. Now the self-proclaimed Greatest Tag Team take on #DemBoys, The Briscoes, for the ROH Tag Team gold. And finally, in a unique concept ROH are calling 'Blind Destiny', the participants in the previous evening's Triple Threat ROH World Title match will each compete in a singles match against predetermined opponents, but which match is for the ROH World Title is entirely dependent on the Triple Threat's outcome. The potential title matches will be; Roderick Strong vs Jay Lethal, Eddie Edwards vs Kevin Steen and Davey Richards vs Michael Elgin.

• Dragon Gate USA - Mercury Rising 2012 - 8PM EDT/5PM PDT/1AM BST - $14.99
    • CIMA, Ricochet & Masaaki Mochizuki vs Low Ki, Akira Tozawa & BxB Hulk
    • Johnny Gargano (c) vs Masato Yoshino - Open the Freedom Gate Title Match
    • Sami Callihan vs Sabu - No Rules Fight
    • Also Scheduled to Appear - PAC, Arik Cannon, Pinkie Sanchez, AR Fox, Uhaa Nation, Jon Davis & Bobby Fish

Mercury Rising 2012 - while many of the previous night's wrestlers are also signed to compete at Mercury Rising, only 3 matches have been named at this time. First, Sami Callihan, the leader of the D.U.F. will take on the homicidal, suicidal, genocidal, death-defying maniac Sabu in a No Rules Fight as the ECW Original Sabu is out for revenge against Callihan. Then, Ronin's Johnny Gargano defends his Open the Freedom Gate Title against WORLD-1's Masato Yoshino, one of the fastest and most technically gifted wrestlers on the Dragon Gate roster and a tough test for Gargano, coming off the back of his Open the United Gate Title match the previous evening. And finally, in the main event of the evening, classic Dragon Gate 6-man tag team action as Veteran Army leaders CIMA & Masaaki Mochizuki team up with WORLD-1's Ricochet to take on the team of Low Ki and, representing Mad Blankey, Akira Tozawa & BxB Hulk in what is sure to be an insane, action-packed, fast-paced main event.

Let's say that there are 400 people that post in WrassleGAF, of those 400 let's say 350 order a PPV at a reasonable rate of $15 for a WWE.com HD Stream - That's $5250, and 10 order through satellite/cable at $45, that's $450. So they've earned $5700.

As it stands right now, I doubt no more than 20 of us order a PPV at $45 which amounts to $900. The rest of us are watching on a lamp site where 1 person (or multiple channels) is broadcasting to thousands. Imagine how much potential revenue there... if there are a total of 20,000 people watching various lamps (which could very well be the case) and they got even half of those - 10,000 x $15 = $150,000. That's a huge chunk of money.

Of course we're not even considering people that don't order PPVs as it is because they're too expensive and/or don't watch streams.

I think the $150,000 would more than off-set the cost it would take to 1) implement this (this would be more or less a one time investment, everything there after would just be making visual changes to the page to fit the theme of the PPV), and 2) bandwidth cost/month.

I'm just huge into the Digital Distribution models, the WWE are fools for not pricing their PPVs moderately considering how big they're supposed to be into the whole social media, new media, etc space.
What you say makes a lot of sense, but we all know Vince isn't one for making sense.

I feel like if Shane were still around we'd be in a much better place. :/

Kaladin

I'm really looking forward to the Dragon Gate and ROH shows this weekend. I've ordered the ROH iPPVs because I won't be at night one. I'm hoping Night 1 is available Saturday morning, but if it isn't, I'll watch it at some other point in the weekend.

UberTag

Haven't splurged on an ROH event in a while but I think I may spring on the Showdown in the Sun double header this weekend as a token of respect.

As I've stated prolifically in the past, the last WWE-produced PPV that was worth buying was Money in the Bank 2011. I was happy to pay up front for that event and it was well worth the money due in large part to the build and execution of a number of angles & matches.

Wrestlemania does not deserve a dime from anyone in here. If you pony up the cash for it, rest assured that you are telling both Vince and the WWE that you approve of how they've built this event and that you want more of the same in the future.

I'm really looking forward to the Dragon Gate and ROH shows this weekend. I've ordered the ROH iPPVs because I won't be at night one. I'm hoping Night 1 is available Saturday morning, but if it isn't, I'll watch it at some other point in the weekend.

Yeah, I'll be pissed if it isn't up before the Saturday show - GFL explicitly told me "no more than 2-3 hours after the event finishes", so I'll hold them to that.

I think I'm most looking forward to Steen vs Generico and Mochizuki vs Tozawa, both should be awesome, but for entirely different reasons.

My best mate (occasional poster c2morg here) has gone from Liverpool England for the second year in a row, he loved last year and will love this year, just being at a wrestle mania especially when you've travelled a long way and joined in the festivities almost negates anything on the card, be easy to be caught up in it.

Even if the card is bad can we keep with tradition and not lamp beg for mania please

confused

Banned
My best mate (occasional poster c2morg here) has gone from Liverpool England for the second year in a row, he loved last year and will love this year, just being at a wrestle mania especially when you've travelled a long way and joined in the festivities almost negates anything on the card, be easy to be caught up in it.

Even if the card is bad can we keep with tradition and not lamp beg for mania please

But I can't even legally obtain the PPV from where I live :(

It's ok, I have my ways.

EDIT : Holy shit !! I can order the PPV through WWE.com for just 15 euros. I think I might have to do that. Anybody ever Streamed on WWE.com ? How's the quality ? Is it at least HD ?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What you say makes a lot of sense, but we all know Vince isn't one for making sense.

I feel like if Shane were still around we'd be in a much better place. :/

True!

I will say this about big PPVs vs smaller ones and the pricing discrepancy. Charge less for streams - it's far LESS likely it's a big group of dudes watching an internet stream and splitting the bill. It's far MORE likely to buy it from a cable company and get one sale from a group of 8+ dudes wanting to have a good time around their TV.

It just makes sense, Vince! "Goddammit!"

Kaladin

Yeah, I'll be pissed if it isn't up before the Saturday show - GFL explicitly told me "no more than 2-3 hours after the event finishes", so I'll hold them to that.

I think I'm most looking forward to Steen vs Generico and Mochizuki vs Tozawa, both should be awesome, but for entirely different reasons.

If that is the case, I'll be looking forward to seeing it when I get home from DGUSA.

BFIB

I have a group of 8 coming over for WM, so we just split the cost.

And what a shitty RAW. Who has the better splash? Brodus Clay or Ultimate Warrior?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I honestly hope this thread gets moved to Community. Then, I wouldn't have to visit Off Topic, and see so many dumb posts and topics that just angry up the blood.

BFIB

One thing I really noticed, is on Raw, how many times do you hear "Former World Champion." "Former WWE Champion".

I really hate that the WWE uses their main championships as the hop around title to help get people over anymore. I mean, holding a title used to actually mean something. The guy that Brodus faced was a former tag team champion?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
One thing I really noticed, is on Raw, how many times do you hear "Former World Champion." "Former WWE Champion".

I really hate that the WWE uses their main championships as the hop around title to help get people over anymore. I mean, holding a title used to actually mean something. The guy that Brodus faced was a former tag team champion?
Dolph Ziggler is a Former World Champion, cause he held it for 10 minutes. So stupid.

I don't remember this feud being all that interesting. I mean it was certainly better than what the Rock/Cena have given us, but they were really just leaning on both guys being mega over:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCy0JCvFHUs

Dolph Ziggler is a former World Champion ? I must've blinked.

Happened on a random Smackdown when he was in a feud with Edge. It was sort of like when Jericho first won the world title, except Ziggler's still counts on the official record for some raisin.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't remember this feud being all that interesting. I mean it was certainly better than what the Rock/Cena have given us, but they were really just leaning on both guys being mega over:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCy0JCvFHUs

Happened on a random Smackdown when he was in a feud with Edge. It was sort of like when Jericho first won the world title, except Ziggler's still counts on the official record for some raisin.
Rock/Hogan was a terrible feud, imo. It's well remembered simply for the reaction the Toronto crowd gave Hogan.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
wwe with it's random tour dates...I just heard a Smackdown tv taping ad for Hampton to take place in 2 weeks from today...and tickets go on sale tomorrow. o_O

edit: I thought it was a mistake because they're going to be here, 50 miles from Hampton in late May...it's not a typo o_O

Because Ziggler's win was legit. Vickie banned the spear and if Edge got DQ'd he's lose the title. Vickie was the ref and got bumped out the match. Edge used the spear and pinned Ziggs when the 2nd ref came in. So by the rules of the match, Zigg won the belt and next week, he had a big ceremony.

I admit Hall and Nash detracted, but I don't even remember them that much. I remember the stare downs, and the mixed crowd reactions. The way they played the crowd. I remember the first stare down how electric it was.

And of course the WM match which brought tears to my eyes.

Penguin

What???????????????????????

Please go back and revisit this feud. It was truly a clash of the titans

The match and energy was fine.

The build was actually pretty stupid since they kept having to get Rock off TV to film the movie.

He got rammed by like an 18 wheeler.. and hit in the head with a hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom