• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Until you can draw a dime, I have no sympathy

29d9ddb72ea1a137679e6b3142ead095_dime-coin-free-clipart-1-clip-art-dime_700-700.gif

Well I mean he'd almost definitely be ok and still look ok paying tribute to breast cancer survivors and wearing a but of pink for it... those are very specific and umm bad complaints. The terribleness of Suan Komen foundation aside

The breast cancer thing would break kayfabe but it is a minor thing, the other complaints are far more potent.

Also Flammable, I haven't actually watched WWE since December so... :p

Sephzilla

Austin's character would probably give Vince a stunner mid-breast cancer tribute and tell Vince "support a better cancer foundation ya stupid son of a bitch"

Kaladin

Forget Austin, imagine if they were doing this stuff in the early 00's when Jericho was going hard on Stephanie every week.

I think the breast cancer stuff is more a general complaint about how WWE can't even maintain kayfabe from start to finish of one show.

I mean they also complained about a pink shirt cause manliness I guess... it's a bell tribute they do that shit all the time. The idea that it would what ruin Austin is kinda laughable

I don't know much about Stardom but the few bits I do know basically involve those three women so I'm guessing the promotion is kinda screwed if they lose them.

Sephzilla

2000s Jericho would absolutely not work in today's society. He'd be a PR nightmare since his whole gimmick with Stephanie basically amounted to slut shaming

Kaladin

2000s Jericho would absolutely not work in today's society. He'd be a PR nightmare since his whole gimmick with Stephanie basically amounted to slut shaming

Stephanie got the gift of Triple H. He slipped it in maaaaaaaaaaan.

I'm sorry, that's just wrong and was even hard to type.

If I'm a female worker (oh shit, what the), I'd prioritize rolling into STARDOM right now since they need peeps ASAP

Yeah a lot of stuff from even up to 2010 wouldn't fly in society now

It's gonna be depressing when Bryan goes out Misawa-style after taking one of Ishii's headbutts.

That is why I said earlier it is awkward. It is like "do you want to see Bryan wrestle Ishii?" Of course, it would probably be amazing. But it would also be fucked up.

Or Bryan vs Omega. With those knee strikes on the ropes etc. It would break kayfabe in a "fucking hell, this guy is actually going to die" kind of way and would probaby not be enjoyable for anyone.

How is calling someone a "$2 trash bag ho" slut shaming? I'm not seeing it.

To be fair, pretty much anything having to do with woman at that time would cause a shit storm today. I loved Jericho back then and hated Stephanie and it still made me uncomfortable even back then.

I think Austin could have found a way to pull off the breast cancer support.

The other sutff I agree with 100%.

"We're gonna beat cancers ass son, and that's the bottom line!"

Sephzilla

2000's Rock couldn't work in modern WWE either, to be honest.

I actually think if you plucked 96-97 Austin out of the Attitude Era and dropped him into today he could mostly work.

Time sure have changed. Watching all that just seems crazy now.

I know. Honestly a lot of the Attitude Era borders on unwatchable now.

c39a4695add91028-600x400.jpg

Pictured is Dana, Braun, Becky Lynch, Simon Gotch. Carmella and Alexa were in some as well.

That look on Braun's face is exactly the problem I have with his character at the moment because thats the face I see in the guy's eyes. He's too sweet of a guy to convince me he can be this menacing and ferocious beast. At face value, he is the male Nia Jax. I just do not buy into the character because, rightly or wrongly, I don't think he does either. He still struggles with making these goofball faces in his matches where he raises his eyebrows and looks surprised, something a fearless monster doesn't do.

That said, I'm not taking any of the hard work and improvements this guy has made in the last year. In fact, he is one of my favorites on the roster. Just needs to work on burying Adam (his real name) into the Braun character.

Stephanie got the gift of Triple H. He slipped it in maaaaaaaaaaan.

I'm sorry, that's just wrong and was even hard to type.

If I'm a female worker (oh shit, what the), I'd prioritize rolling into STARDOM right now since they need peeps ASAP

Yeah a lot of stuff from even up to 2010 wouldn't fly in society now

Yea

It was already honestly cringe worthy back then too... It'd be horrendous now.

I LOST A BROSKI FOR A HOESKI

tumblr_m3bbrdUpD71qgyas1.gif

That whole storyline with Zack/Eve/Cena was really weird because it went from 'Eve kissed Cena in the heat of the moment' to 'Eve revealing her evil plot to the Bellas while also talking about the weather'

jmdajr

2000's Rock couldn't work in modern WWE either, to be honest.

I actually think if you plucked 96-97 Austin out of the Attitude Era and dropped him into today he could mostly work.

I know. Honestly a lot of the Attitude Era borders on unwatchable now.

I still appreciate the intensity of it all, but yeah some stuff is just well... in poor taste.

Sephzilla

That whole storyline with Zack/Eve/Cena was really weird because it went from 'Eve kissed Cena in the heat of the moment' to 'Eve revealing her evil plot to the Bellas while also talking about the weather'

The Zach/Eve/Cena/Darth Kane storyline in hindsight looked like it was an overly elaborate way to punish Zach Ryder for getting over.

I still appreciate the intensity of it all, but yeah some stuff is just well... in poor taste.

Attitude Era content gets more uncomfortable the further said content is disconnected from Austin

One thing I think I remember is that Eve is treated like a heel around a time where I think they implied that Kane well, uh alive Katie Vicked her.

Sephzilla

IMO, the Bryan stuff is just Meltzer wanting readers.

I don't know. When you factor in how Bryan was hiding having seizures, constantly tried to get back into the WWE ring, and now factoring in that he's hinted to going somewhere else when his WWE contract is up - I think he's seriously considering trying it again.

I really hope having a kid gives him some perspective on life and it makes him reconsider his career going forward.

I don't know. When you factor in how Bryan was hiding having seizures, constantly tried to get back into the WWE ring, and now factoring in that he's hinted to going somewhere else when his WWE contract is up - I think he's seriously considering trying it again.

I really hope having a kid gives him some perspective on life and it makes him reconsider his career going forward.
I hope so too, but as others have said he could just as likely think "my kid has never seen me wrestle, I should change that!"

Foggy

I don't know much about Stardom but the few bits I do know basically involve those three women so I'm guessing the promotion is kinda screwed if they lose them.

They have some good talent but they're either not signed, green, injured or some mix of the above. Yoko Bito will be the most experienced but she's not the kind to lead the company, also injured for months. Momo Watanabe is very promising and very good, but injured for most of the year. Kyona is good but only just past her rookie year. Not sure if Konami is signed. Kagetsu isn't signed. Kris Wolf is a fun character but not a great worker. Reo Hazuki is good, not great. Overall, unless they dramatically change how they do business, the outlook is grim if things go how they're looking they will.

It's part of why I have little sympathy for Stardom. Their insistence on rotating in inexperienced foreign wrestlers and not signing homegrown talent and their insular nature has made them stagnant. They never had credible foreign challengers for the most part and their inhouse talent coming up is still too green to believably challenge the top three. They are totally directionless and their attendance has started to dip. They may have set themselves up for a situation where their top talent is pushed to leave, but making a shallow talent pool even more shallow is a blow to joshi wrestling at large.

jmdajr

Honestly, my worst fear is that Bryan gets his brains scrambled even further and potentially turns into another Benoit

I doubt it. I mean the guy's hobby is gardening. I think Benoit was just an intense dude and when his brains went to hell the results matched the personality.

That's not to say he and his family won't suffer.

Foggy

All this said, aimless, lifeless, uninspired wrestling with Io, Kairi, and Mayu is still much preferred to WWE's neutered style.

Top Bottom