• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Hasney

I can heartily second the recommendation of the Weird Science ECW podcast - I'm into the third episode, and it's rather amusing. And it includes the Alan Partridge "Dan Dan Dan" moment too.

Just reading this has given me more enjoyment than the efforts of trying to listen to The Lapsed Fan. I'll have to Czech it out.

Browny

Banned
Just reading this has given me more enjoyment than the efforts of trying to listen to The Lapsed Fan. I'll have to Czech it out.

It's one hour, doesn't drag, I listen to it in the car so the sound quality doesn't matter to me (I'm running an FM transmitter, so it sounds like ass anyway), there's lots of banter and good surmising of the product. I'm subbed.

klonere

Banned
Oh I never commented about the mailing list thing, I was just commenting on the announcement

Oh sure, my bad.

Interesting (and fair) take on it. I didn't really think about it like that. I thought it was pretty cool that PROGRESS mailing list members got first dibs on the tickets; I guess it just shows the growing relationship between WWE and PROGRESS (although make of that what you will).

It made it easier for me to get tickets for the show; and my Son will be thrilled when he finishes school and hears the news so it was a win-win for me. I understand your point of view though. If it was a simple piggy backing off the PROGRESS mailing list to promote the show (without any additional benefit) that I'd have been annoyed too; but they were specifically giving PROGRESS fans pre-sale access.

I'm glad you got the tickets, the UKC show was great and I have no doubt the guys will deliver on again for this next show.

N38Vtbk.png

Well that is random as hell.

Between the mailing list, and the request on social media for new music to use at shows, it seems much more likely that Progress is going to be on the network than ICW these days; though I'm sure both of them will be sooner than later.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Link to Goldberg's entrance at Halloween Havoc 98: https://streamable.com/cxqes

This entrance might perfectly encapsulate what was Goldberg, the absolute height of wrestling and what made this period of wrestling (specifically WCW, nWo, Goldberg and [Crow] Sting) so enthralling. WWE had Austin, Foley, Rock, HBK and Vince but that was very different from this feel. WWE felt very tween with anti-authority, WCW managed to make it feel like an attack on the fans.

I watched a lot of wrestling through this time. I remember renting VHS tapes of Mania's and being hyped over the Andre slam, Yokozuna's loss, the Bret & Shawn Iron man match and all that stuff. But nothing was like this time and I don't know if there ever will be a period of wrestling that had this level of hype and amazement. I wasn't watching during the Punk and Bryan runs, but I just can't imagine it was close to this. I mean think about this: MICHAEL BUFFER IS ANNOUNCING GOLDBERG. It was fucking magic.

Re-watching some of this era is a bit cringe inducing because of the content, but I'd be lying if it didn't bring back memories and excitement. I just don't know if people who weren't watching then will ever fully understand what this period was like. It was on a whole other level and it was just because of puppies or stunners. Those of us watching WCW at the time were emotionally invested in these angles. We all knew it was scripted but we all HATED every fiber of nWo (original).

I never really understood why he needed like security guards. He was in better shape than all of them combined, and he was supposed to be tough. Doesn't this make him look soft?

Pikma

Banned
I never really understood why he needed like security guards. He was in better shape than all of them combined, and he was supposed to be tough. Doesn't this make him look soft?
Security guards were not there to protect him, they were there to protect everyone else (besides his opponents of course) from him

klonere

Banned
Sounds like TNA the REBORN was pretty fucking awful. They managed to piss off TNAMecca and stop Garrett, the VOW TNA reviewer who has watched literally everything TNA has ever done, from finishing the episode.

klonere

Banned
Whatever about people who pine for the AE or 80s all over again, at least its better than old ass hip hop fans who literally bury their heads in the sand while flipping the double birds to anyone who tries to educate them on new music.

What I'm saying is wrestling fans > dusty hiphopheads

Whatever about people who pine for the AE or 80s all over again, at least its better than old ass hip hop fans who literally bury their heads in the sand while flipping the double birds to anyone who tries to educate them on new music.

I've noticed most people who get this way, whether it be music or movies, tend to be people who don't try to leave their "eras". It's stupid generational bullshit where they go into anything new with the pre-conceived notion of "this is going to suck".

Remember bands like The Beatles? What happened to bands like that. Kids these days

Watching Fall Brawl 98 now and Jesus Christ I had never seen, or don't remember, the Scott Hall intoxication stuff from WCW. This is awful and disgusting they even let this run.

klonere

Banned
I've noticed most people who get this way, whether it be music or movies, tend to be people who don't try to leave their "eras". It's stupid generational bullshit where they go into anything new with the pre-conceived notion of "this is going to suck".

All it does is divide us maaaannnnn

Remember bands like The Beatles? What happened to bands like that. Kids these days

I tell you gosh darnit back in my day musicians were called composers!!!!!!

You can still find good music if you look for it, marks.

Agreed completely. Anyone saying there's no good music/books/films/etc anymore just won't step out of their comfort zone and search

If I didn't go looking for stuff, I'd have never discovered Screaming Females or King Gizzard

or PWR BTTM

Top Bottom