• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Is Bayley a shooter?
image.php

Of blanks, sure.
image.php

Zach

Big Daddy V/Punk ruined this PPV. The match was going fine until the nonsensical interference DQ finish. Pffft.

Anyway, I prefer monster heel V to monster heel Khali.

Checking out the Wrestlemania Monday collection on the network, the type of beatdown Rock gets given by the formation of the power trip is something you just wouldn't see today, just try to imagine Roman Reigns getting that level of sheer unrelenting shit kicking.

I also like when Rock is simply cutting a generic 2 minute promo about how he's going to whup Austin's backside it still handily trumps 99% of modern promos.
WWE are slooooooowly coming back around on a few things, hopefully promos are next in line.

I'm just gonna come out and say it: I don't hate Big Daddy V's look. >_>
It passes the Viscera look at least.

Oh, good. A pizza-eating contest. On pay-per-view.

Matt Hardy pizza.gif?

Zach

I would reiterate that I'm trying to eat breakfast here, but I feel like you just don't give a damn about my appetite!.... Partner

Hey, I didn't post any gross pics/gifs. Not my fault your imagination is running wild, duuude.

Has it become obvious how wrestling declined in popularity while watching post Mania 17?

I dunno. There's always stupid stuff and bad wrestling permeating the WWF (with some occasionally great wrasslin' peppered throughout). They've just been fortunate in the past to have a universally beloved, super charismatic top guy (Hogan, Austin, Rock). They haven't had that in a while, so it badly hurts their overall product.

Tall4Life

I remember when it used to mean something when the ROH championship changed hands. Daniels is a good choice but I couldn't care less about Cole losing it.

klonere

Banned
If you ever wonder "gee the WWE sure does produce way too much content and plug social media way more than is necessary" well I think this might go to explaining it

C6pO3AkWgAA6zIW.jpg:large

.....so the goal is not to have more subscribers, but to have current subscribers watch more? What?

You already have their money

Nobody watches the archives

And as has been stated numerous times before someone quotes, Dave has gone on record explaining this in depth numerous times. It's a big part of the Network, and has been pushed as such, yet is still vastly underused by the few subs who stick around

It's a matter of how they present the content - they don't use any imagination, just throw all the archive stuff up on there. The most obvious way to get people watching the archive stuff would be to provide context - have a series where WWE superstars talk about their favourite old school matches. A casual viewer almost certainly won't randomly decide to watch some WCCW or Mid-South, but they'd probably be far more likely to watch a special with someone like Stone Cold introducing and providing context for his favourite matches from that era.

So, according to WOR, Impact/Anthem is threatening a lawsuit to anyone using the Broken Hardys gimmick (and sent a letter detailing that to ROH's PPV providers, resulting in Dish not carrying it).

.....so the goal is not to have more subscribers, but to have current subscribers watch more? What?

You already have their money

Unfortunately the current iteration of the Network is nothing more than a dump of media. There is no forward thought there with it other than them producing original content, which as that graphic points out is their end goal. If the average subscriber viewing time increases it gives them more leverage for deals and grow it as "one stop destination".

There is so much more they can do with it to make it a better product:

* Combine Raws, Smackdowns, Nitros, etc into viewing months. Right now everything is divided out and the linear viewing experience is bad. And on the Roku this is an awful awful navigation experience.

* Do marathon runs. ie: Tune in starting March 1 to relive the invasion of the Outsiders. And this would be done via the "Now Showing" section where it would be the first Nitro Hall arrives up through the Hogan turn. Just stupid simple stuff like

* Some kind of match or event finder tool. I don't mean profightdb level, but something simple like a collection that has all the Smackdowns & PPV with Eddie's rise to champion

* A match, show or PPV shuffle option. ie Open up the Raw 1997 archive and hit shuffle to get a random Raw from 1997. Or open up the WCW archive and hit shuffle for a random PPV.

* Do better history of the sport since they have things like AWA, Main Event, Smokey Mountain, etc. This is similar to the marathon one above, but with less high profile stuff.

Unfortunately for the normal WWE viewer, ie not people on GAF or Reddit, this stuff is pointless. Which is why they're doing things that Ride Along or Legends House or At the Table. WWE wants to be a production/entertainment company more than they want to be a wrestling company.

Carnby

I saw the SD clip where AJ yells at Shane after losing his match with Orton. I noticed how Hayes was dressed. LMAO. Does that dork really dress like that everyday?

gun_haver

it's kind of a shame and kind of funny that big show decided to get into shape at last now at his age when 10-15 years ago vince and everyone were begging him to cut the smokes, eat better, and generally give a shit back when he was a young giant. could've had a much different kind of career.

Top Bottom