• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

klonere

Banned
Dragon Gate golden rules:

Everything matters
Multi year long stories
Vast conspiracy board esque relationship trees
CIMA wins LOL
Yoshino wins LOL
Shingo = HHH except a better worker but the same negatives of being the most important person in the promotion even if he isn't on screen etc etc etc
Dope commentators
Dumbest most gullible and easily abused ref in the world
Long ass meandering Dream Gate matches

Time to bury some marks

C60OS3aVoAASaVN.jpg

creatchee

But one man's opinion isnt that of everyone.

Orton vs Triple H is the worst WM main event ever. It was dull and heatless, nothing got a reaction.

Of course not, but it's a good gauge.

Also, heat is only one component of greatness. Andre and Hogan had much heat, but was it a technically a good wrestling match?

Mahonay

Banned
It is weird though how the best match of WM32 never gets mentioned. The women's title match was ace.
Yup. Overshadowed by an absolutely shit show and the fact the build to that women's match was hot garbage. It was a great wrestling match in the technical sense, but the booking leading into it really hurt it for me personally.

jmdajr

Orton vs Triple H is the worst WM main event ever. It was dull and heatless, nothing got a reaction.

Stipulation for that match match no sense at all. It should have been no holds barred.
Also, I didn't recall it being 25 minutes long.

pmzUaJ.gif

Sephzilla

It is weird though how the best match of WM32 never gets mentioned. The women's title match was ace.

I feel like it doesn't get mentioned much because it falls victim to the same issue most of the other matches at WM32 - The wrong person won the match.

In slight defense of that match, it had the impossible task of happening after Taker vs HBK. But yeah, the booking for that match made no sense.

klonere

Banned
Stipulation for that match match no sense at all. It should have been no holds barred.
Also, I didn't recall it being 25 minutes long.

pmzUaJ.gif

Now I'm scared for Orton and Wyatt to stare at each other for 3 and a half minutes before gingerly locking up

plz no

Mahonay

Banned
Now I'm scared for Orton and Wyatt to stare at each other for 3 and a half minutes before gingerly locking up

plz no
I'm worried too. You'd think they'd really gimmick up the match and make if more fun, but we all thought they would do that for Shane vs Undertaker last year and look what happened.

A clean straight forward Bray vs Orton match seems like it would be pretty boring. But yeah we'll see I guess.

Sephzilla

That entire moment was built around a face beating the cheating Charlotte and becoming the new WWE Women's Champion, complete with Sasha Banks even coming out in full Eddie Guerrero tribute mode, instead Charlotte wins and technically retains her championship. As much as I like Charlotte, she shouldn't have won that match. At some point years ago Vince forgot that WrestleMania is supposed to be the big storyline payoff spot.

Kaladin

That entire moment was built around a face beating the cheating Charlotte and becoming the new WWE Women's Champion, complete with Sasha Banks even coming out in full Eddie Guerrero tribute mode, instead Charlotte wins and technically retains her championship. As much as I like Charlotte, she shouldn't have won that match. At some point years ago Vince forgot that WrestleMania is supposed to be the big storyline payoff spot.

Now a year later we get the storyline payoff to Charlotte cheating her way to a PPV streak at Wrestlemania......oh, wait.

Did they really make this title match about how Bayley can't win a belt legitimately and not about Charlotte getting her ultimate comeuppance for cheating her way through PPV after PPV?

Sephzilla

Main roster WWE has managed to screw up Bayley, Sasha, and to a lesser extent Charlotte all within a year and a half collectively. Becky hasn't done that much better either. I don't buy into the conspiracy theory that Dunn is trying to sabotage HHH call ups, but I see how these wrestlers were handled and I can't help but wonder.

Kaladin

Main roster WWE has managed to screw up Bayley, Sasha, and to a lesser extent Charlotte all within a year and a half collectively. Becky hasn't done that much better either. I don't buy into the conspiracy theory that Dunn is trying to sabotage HHH call ups, but I see how these wrestlers were handled and I can't help but wonder.

Bayley....it's like nothing she went through in NXT matters and it's all happening again

Sasha....same but she's been made a fraction of what she was before with little character direction aside from being the Luger to Bayley's Sting.

Charlotte : They were actually doing right by her with the PPV streak, but they let it go in the build to a larger match at Wrestlemania which should have been the payoff.

Why didn't they book Bayley vs Charlotte at mania.?

Bayley wining the title would have been great. Plus the next Ppv is on her home town.

Instead the hot potato the title on a random raw

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Vince hates being predictable (unless it involves Cena) even though sometimes that's what the consumer wants.

Except Vince somehow decided that Cena (the hottest star in the company, a guy who finally earned a ton of smark respect for his matches, and a guy who is rapidly branching out of WWE towards mainstream fame) shouldn't main event WrestleMania against AJ Styles, the hottest star in the company among the regular fans, despite the fact he's probably running out of chances to run Cena out there as a WM main eventer and AJ is the same age as Cena.

That would have been a killer, killer main event (and everyone knew it since both of their previous matches were 4+ star matches) at WrestleMania and Vince blew it for no actual fucking reason. I legit think failing to book that match as the title match at Mania is one of the biggest mistakes they've made since WM30. Like, I think the failure to do that match at WM is worse than Roman's booking the last 2 years because Cena main eventing WM and going over lines up with Vince's priorities and would make everyone involved in the event happy.

Pikma

Banned
Lol I'd take Lesnar vs Goldberg over another fucking Cena main event, And it's not like there's anything interesting left in a Cena vs AJ feud

Sephzilla

I would have been 100% fine with John Cena vs AJ Styles main eventing WrestleMania. I wouldn't have even cared if it ended with CenaWinsLOL because god damn those two put on fantastic matches

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lol I'd take Lesnar vs Goldberg over another fucking Cena main event, And it's not like there's anything interesting left in a Cena vs AJ feud

In a world where that match main events WrestleMania, Cena would have won the Rumble and the RR match between the two wouldn't have happened (and instead would have been the WM main event).

Anth0ny

I would have been 100% fine with John Cena vs AJ Styles main eventing WrestleMania. I wouldn't have even cared if it ended with CenaWinsLOL because god damn those two put on fantastic matches

1. Awesome, fresh matches
2. Awesome, stale matches
3. Shit, stale matches

we haven't had 1 in years

Cena/Styles would qualify for 2, ain't getting that

most of the card will be 3

Angry Grimace

Wrestlemania ending with LOL Cena wins? I'd rather see Roman vs HHH II

...why? Wrestling is fucking fake, dude. Losing the main event of WM is like the opposite of being buried. Cena winning has a story built in and his matches with Styles have been great. Styles being in the ME would have been incredible.

Zero hype for WrestleMania and it feels like they've actively gone out of their way to self sabotage themselves. I miss WM being the culmination of months if not an entire year of story lines.

They played a Brawn promo on the law. Does he sound like Hogan to anyone?

Pretty much, throw in some brothers, some "ya know Mean Genes", a "whatcha gonna do" and a few more Hoganisms (not the ones included with the Hogasm) and there we go, Braun Hogman.

Sephzilla

People can easily tolerate a CenaWinsLOL moment if the story and/or the match for it are handled properly - see John Cena's US Open Challenge run. That run did some pretty noticeable rehab to Cena's image with the more hardcore wrestling fans.

Kaladin

3. Shit, stale matches

Um.

Kevin Owens vs Chris Jericho....never happened before unless it happened randomly on some Raw before the friendship angle started.

Roman Reigns vs Undertaker.....never happened before.

Randy Orton vs Bray Wyatt.....never happened before.

That's several of your top billed matches that have never happened before and stand a chance of being decent to amazing.

Hasney

People can easily tolerate a CenaWinsLOL moment if the story and/or the match for it are handled properly - see John Cena's US Open Challenge run. That run did some pretty noticeable rehab to Cena's image with the more hardcore wrestling fans.

Built on the back of beating Rusev at Mania, which was shit.

Menome

Roman vs HHH wasn't a "bad" match, but it sure as fuck was a boring one. I'd take laughably bad over dull as dishwater any day.

Anth0ny

Um.

Kevin Owens vs Chris Jericho....never happened before unless it happened randomly on some Raw before the friendship angle started.

Roman Reigns vs Undertaker.....never happened before.

Randy Orton vs Bray Wyatt.....never happened before.

That's several of your top billed matches that have never happened before and stand a chance of being decent to amazing.

how sad is it that those matches already feel stale even though they've never happened before

alright owens/jericho might be ok.

creatchee

3. Shit, stale matches

Projected Card:
WWE Universal Championship
Goldberg (c) vs. Brock Lesnar

WWE Championship
Bray Wyatt (c) vs. Randy Orton

RAW Women's Championship
Charlotte (c) vs. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax

Smackdown Women's Championship
Alexa Bliss (c) vs. The Entire Smackdown Roster

Intercontinental Championship
Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Baron Corbin

United States Championship
Chris Jericho (c) vs. Kevin Owens

Roman Reigns vs. The Undertaker

Seth Rollins vs. Triple H

AJ Styles vs. Shane McMahon

John Cena & Nikki Bella vs. The Miz & Maryse

Which ones are stale? I see one, maybe two.

Angry Grimace

I don't even think its really a CenaWinsLOL moment. He only actually had feuds against 2 people last year and lost clean to both of them.

Toki767

Those ratings seem odd. Lesnar vs Angle from what I remember was a way better match than Lesnar vs Reigns.

The Mania XX triple threat is still my favorite main event from a match quality though. With Undertaker/HBK right behind it.

Maybe standards for match quality just downgraded compared to a decade ago though.

Top Bottom