• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

stealing from boots' twitter, because jfc

CZRimNG.gif

Jamie OD

Yeah, definitely. That was all Mutoh's idea, he can generally make things happen across the usual promotional divides. There's very few Japanese promotions I could see NJPW working with in this day and age, either they're traditional competitors like AJPW & NOAH, or rising ones such as BJW & DDT.

And even then those relationships don't last as long as I would like them too.

klonere

Banned
stealing from boots' twitter, because jfc

Gah dang there is nothing better than a good lungblower/codebreaker sell. I think Gallagher had a really excellent one in the match with Gibson.

Drew's so good, him and Ethan Silver are real ones to watch in the next year or so.

Also, here's Eddie fucking Dennis murderising poor Jimmy;

Wish the DDT working relationship didn't go sour, I was so looking forward to Tanahashi in the general election.

And even then those relationships don't last as long as I would like them too.

I think NJPW are pretty happy to be in their own bubble for now and are one of the only promotions in Japan that can do that. Still, the NOAH relationship produced one of the more interesting G1 lineups in a long while so it's always nice to have them bring in outsiders.

Natural Progression V is going to be stacked after a year off, calling it now.

Definitely, there's a TON of guys who are just waiting for a bit of exposure - Tom Dawkins for instance, the guy has definitely got 'it', he just needs more experience.

Oh shit, Honma seems to have suffered a pretty bad injury at today's NJPW show in Okinawa - paramedics rushed to the ring after he took a DDT awkwardly, he's been given oxygen and is responsive, but is being stretchered to the back.

It was from Jado's rope hung DDT, apparently Honma's foot was caught up in the ropes and he landed really badly.

It was from Jado's rope hung DDT, apparently Honma's foot was caught up in the ropes and he landed really badly.

That really stinks. Hopefully it was just a stinger and he'll be able to go on Monday as he and Makabe have a tag title match.

Otherwise this will be the second title match where Ishii/Yano win thanks to an injury on the other side.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What are ratings like with Owens as a champion? It feels miz like. He's the champion but not even really the main draw here.

Fox318

Vince, we made to make budget cuts.

CUT THE RAMP IN HALF, DAMNIT

Its just crazy how the more colorful and loud they make their ramp and stage the less and less I care.

I feel like there needs to be a balance between showy and grit that the WWE just doesn't understand how to do any more because they think they make movies

Sephzilla

What are ratings like with Owens as a champion? It feels miz like. He's the champion but not even really the main draw here.

Ratings are mediocre. Considering how bad Raw is as a whole I'm surprised the ratings are holding where they are right now.

Its just crazy how the more colorful and loud they make their ramp and stage the less and less I care.

I feel like there needs to be a balance between showy and grit that the WWE just doesn't understand how to do any more because they think they make movies

I still say they need to go back to a simple and small set again. Save the showy stuff for the PPVs. The TV show sets are too big and it really undercuts the wrestlers themselves.

It is a shame because Owens and Jericho were the highlights of raw for me over the last number of months but the ratings were not great. Although I do doubt it would matter who was champ, within reason, to be honest.

It was a shitty situation for Rollins too.

klonere

Banned

Ratings are in a very steady decline and more importantly, not declining as fast as other cable programming is, sports aside.

The real draws are the old guys, they put 55,000 in the Alamodome on the backs of Taker, Goldberg and Lesnar.

Observer says we're gonna get more MAGA in TNA. Jarrett's big marketing idea is "Let's Make TNA Great Again", presenting the good old days of TNA when Jeff was in charge, and implicitly burying (not mentioning her by name) the Dixie regime saying that since she took over, things went off-rails

Beefy

Observer says we're gonna get more MAGA in TNA. Jarrett's big marketing idea is "Let's Make TNA Great Again", presenting the good old days of TNA when Jeff was in charge, and implicitly burying (not mentioning her by name) the Dixie regime saying that since she took over, things went off-rails

TNA getting worse?

Jarrett gonna make TNA the wrestling choice for bigots...

The call ups from NXT have been a bit puzzling. Dana, Nia and Alexa all getting called up pretty repidly. Similar could be said for Corbin and Crews. AA called up and floundering. But they have people immediately over like Nakamura and Roode who sort of stay there and lose their appeal because NXT has been so mediocre lately.

I know they need draws for touring but fucking hell.

Recall

Ratings are in a very steady decline and more importantly, not declining as fast as other cable programming is, sports aside.

They've been in a steady decline since 2001 and have held steady-ish for the last few years. WWE doesn't draw the biggest numbers and never will again, it's just not possible for the mainstream attachment to return like it once did.

Beefy

The call ups from NXT have been a bit puzzling. Dana, Nia and Alexa all getting called up pretty repidly. Similar could be said for Corbin and Crews. AA called up and floundering. But they have people immediately over like Nakamura and Roode who sort of stay there and lose their appeal because NXT has been so mediocre lately.

Corbin is decent, it's just his hair. Crews needs a soul injection.

Sephzilla

Nia Jax and Apollo Crews were called up waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early. Corbin has mostly been fine, it's just that his hair gives him an incredibly shitty look. The rest I think have been mostly decent. Brooks maybe needed a little more time in NXT but she was called up as a package with Emma - but then Emma got hurt right away

Corbin is decent, it's just his hair. Crews needs a soul injection.

I agree Corbin has improved a lot and at some point everyone needs to jump in at the deep end.

It is crazy how the handles Crews. They havent even tried to let him express a character and he is so good.

I think it's a little of that, but also based around the fact that a lot of guys want to go to NXT first. But notice that guys like Dana, Nia, Alexa, Carmella, and Mojo Rawley got called up. The reasoning is because that they didn't wrestle on the independent scene before going to NXT, and this shows people that the Performance Center can take people with no experience and get them to the big time.

I agree that a lot of it is the lack of draws in NXT, Nakamura, Roode, Young, Strong, Black, Ohno - they are all established names on the indy circuit so fans are going to go for them. I think the build-up for the Cruiserweight division will also help, as guys like Almas are perfectly suited for it.

Also, Apollo Crews will be a world champ if he gets a personality. Dude is so good in the ring.

Speaking of Emma.... so is she ever gonna come back as just Emma after that Emmalina thing?

Maybe they're holding off till after Mania because there's nothing for her right now

Sephzilla

I think it's a little of that, but also based around the fact that a lot of guys want to go to NXT first. But notice that guys like Dana, Nia, Alexa, Carmella, and Mojo Rawley got called up. The reasoning is because that they didn't wrestle on the independent scene before going to NXT, and this shows people that the Performance Center can take people with no experience and get them to the big time.

I agree that a lot of it is the lack of draws in NXT, Nakamura, Roode, Young, Strong, Black, Ohno - they are all established names on the indy circuit so fans are going to go for them. I think the build-up for the Cruiserweight division will also help, as guys like Almas are perfectly suited for it.

Huh, this is something I actually didn't think about.

NXT loses Nakamura and Roode and I would bet that the already low ratings for NXT weekly shows would shoot down more.

In a way it's WWE's own fault for not trying to make fresh main event tier stars in NXT for people to want to tune in on.

Nia Jax and Apollo Crews were called up waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early. Corbin has mostly been fine, it's just that his hair gives him an incredibly shitty look. The rest I think have been mostly decent. Brooks maybe needed a little more time in NXT but she was called up as a package with Emma - but then Emma got hurt right away

The people who got called up to SD outisde of the tag division have done pretty well. Especially the womens roster everyone was so skeptical about. And it is really good. But it is still crazy so many people got called up while others got left behind who are mote than ready.

I mean, I would like to see Nakamura vs Cien Almas, badly, but they botched him wo badly we probably wont see it. I cant think of anyone else in NXT I want to see Nakamura wrestle when there are so many on Raw or SD that would have a wonderful match with him.

Recall

Why can't the WWE write something entertaining for Apollo? WWE seem to have made him a jobber without actually giving him anything to work with.

Top Bottom