• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So.. why guys like Randy Orton, Triple H, Kurt Angle and Batista (to name a few), start their WWE careers with hair, but then just go with buzz cuts or shave their hair right off? Are they covering up their balding?

yes

Bronx-Man

Banned
TNA's Eli Drake catching heat from fans for saying in an interview that wrestling should have credits (ex. "Shawn Spears as Eli Drake")

Guess he has an account here and read too much "it's fucking fake" posts, now too far gone
I mean, I don't see why not. It's like they're saying "This isn't Eli Drake talking to EC3, this is Shawn Spears talking to Michael Hutter" on-screen.

Syder

So.. why guys like Randy Orton, Triple H, Kurt Angle and Batista (to name a few), start their WWE careers with hair, but then just go with buzz cuts or shave their hair right off? Are they covering up their balding?
Angle and Batista were clearly balding before they went with shaved heads. I don't think Orton and Hunter are balding.

cordy

Banned
Yeah a lot of the time guys cut their hair because they're balding and sometimes they gotta freshen up their look.

Tbh, that's one reason why I think Rusev cut his hair. "Long-haired Rusev" was part of that Cena and most notoriously the Reigns feud. The guy shaved his mustache off and it didn't do much, you still associate this Rusev with Reigns. Him changing his entire hairstyle though, this is a new Rusev. It separates him from how he used to be which is great for his character. You gotta separate your gimmicks. That's one reason why guys like HBK, Jericho, Trips even and most famously Undertaker had been around and fresh for decades. They've constantly changed their characters and have different incarnations so they don't get stale.

Sometimes it doesn't work though because even with that, you could get shit booking. I mean look at Ziggler for the past 3 1/2 years.

cordy

Banned
I mean, Ziggler tried changing things up once. The problem was he changed into Matt Sydal after eating a magic mushroom.

That was like 1 week too it was crazy.

I also gotta hand it to Rusev. He's changed his character a lot in the past few years he's been on the roster.

- Bulgarian Undefeatable Monster Rusev (ended with Cena feud, this Rusev didn't talk)
- Punished Rusev (sad turtleneck Rusev who was separated from Lana, he started doing more of his own promos here, showed different sides of his character)
- League of Nations Rusev (just bullshitting around with his boys, Lana was mostly backstage)
- US Champion #2 Rusev (Rusev who talked a lot more, went against Reigns, he shoulda never lost this belt against Cena/Reigns)
- Handsome Rusev (Current Rusev pre-haircut who's with Jinder, tried to shave his mustache off to change his look but didn't do much, talks a lot more and does comedy)
- Handsome Rusev w/haircut (Current Rusev)

Excited for the ROH fans to explain how this is totally different than TNA using ex-WWE guys

966dbb89f86f612fcb58a4dde6385c38df88ba63e170c5c076699b6afd288390.jpg

Barrage

I'd be down with rRusev getting a 1-day World a title reign ala Kane. Have RAW open with Russian commentators and shit, Face wins it at the end of the night, bang bang.

Umm... yea, pretty much

Kurt Angle had a pretty bad receding hairline before he cut his hair off

Same with the Rock

If only Dean Ambrose and Baron Corbin would take a look at their hairlines and get a hint.

But LeBron's fight against his is influencing everyone else to keep theirs.

cordy

Banned
Reigns and Okada make around the same. Okada made 2.2M last year according to a Vice Sports article. Reigns made 2.1M in 2015, probably more in 2016 so either way around the same I'm sure.

jurgen

That was like 1 week too it was crazy.

I also gotta hand it to Rusev. He's changed his character a lot in the past few years he's been on the roster.

- Bulgarian Undefeatable Monster Rusev (ended with Cena feud, this Rusev didn't talk)
- Punished Rusev (sad turtleneck Rusev who was separated from Lana, he started doing more of his own promos here, showed different sides of his character)
- League of Nations Rusev (just bullshitting around with his boys, Lana was mostly backstage)
- US Champion #2 Rusev (Rusev who talked a lot more, went against Reigns, he shoulda never lost this belt against Cena/Reigns)
- Handsome Rusev (Current Rusev pre-haircut who's with Jinder, tried to shave his mustache off to change his look but didn't do much, talks a lot more and does comedy)
- Handsome Rusev w/haircut (Current Rusev)

I'm worried that this Handsome Rusev character is just going to turn into a DJ Khaled gimmick.

My dream is for him to team with GM Kurt Angle and discover everything great about America as a Bizarro Ivan Drago... waving flags like Don King, trash talking the former Soviet Union, everything.

Reigns and Okada make around the same. Okada made 2.2M last year according to a Vice Sports article. Reigns made 2.1M in 2015, probably more in 2016 so either way around the same I'm sure.

Nope, this is wrong. The VICE Sports article misread a statement from New Japan's President that New Japan was going to spend 2 million over the next 5 years getting Okada into mainstream culture in Japan via appearances and such.

Okada got a 100 million yen salary (appx. $833k) for the 2015 annual re-up according to a note in the Observer around that time.

cordy

Banned
I'm worried that this Handsome Rusev character is just going to turn into a DJ Khaled gimmick.

My dream is for him to team with GM Kurt Angle and discover everything great about America as a Bizarro Ivan Drago... waving flags like Don King, trash talking the former Soviet Union, everything.

Khaled is great but who knows. I do think that they're either gonna be forced to make Rusev a world champion soon, put him on SD or turn him face. He's too good to be floundering and he'd freshen up either brand's main event scene.

I just want him to do what he's doing now except with more mic time, more wins and more time in the spotlight.
Nope, this is wrong. The VICE Sports article misread a statement from New Japan's President that New Japan was going to spend 2 million over the next 5 years getting Okada into mainstream culture in Japan via appearances and such.

Okada got a 100 million yen salary (appx. $833k) for the 2015 annual re-up according to a note in the Observer around that time.

Shit.

Okada makes less than Ambrose did in 2015.

Shit.

Okada makes less than Ambrose did in 2015.

I mean, he also isn't paying for transport, hotels, or most meals/drinks while out ("sponsors" take care of that), so it's not like Okada is hurting. Also, Japan's a different society where CEO's don't make 800 times the wage of the average worker either.

ReiGun

Umm... yea, pretty much

Kurt Angle had a pretty bad receding hairline before he cut his hair off

Same with the Rock

If only Dean Ambrose and Baron Corbin would take a look at their hairlines and get a hint.

But LeBron's fight against his is influencing everyone else to keep theirs.

Idk about Corbin, breh. Something tells me him without hair is a tragedy waiting to happen.

Browny

Banned
Corbin needs to lose a hair vs hair/mask match. He's good enough that he can bounce back from a kayfabe loss to reestablish himself as a decent level heel.

Rusev can do a face turn - two good ones I can remember would be Mark Henry when facing Orton in the gauntlet match a few years back (fingerwave.gif), or Sheamus turning up to challenge Henry with one of his "Irish relative promos. I can see Rusev challenging a heel and getting a good response.

Strax

Corbin must never be a face and he must never shave his head.

I watched that pre-Shield triple threat from FCW the other day, Ambrose and Rollins looked great while Leakee spend most of the match napping outside the ring, imagine my surprise when he showed up out of nowhere, hit a very basic samoan drop and shitty finishing move and pinned Ambrose.

Like, even back then it was evident Roman didn't have it, I can't believe they've been trying to pretend he's the best big thing for so long, and it's why I don't think they will stop trying anytime soon

Hmmm most of the match you say.

*looks up the match*

Roman is out 3 mins out of 12 mins

Nice try tho.

orioto

Good Art™

I'm pretty sure H isn't balding. It's more a corporate look thing

Top Bottom