• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Mahonay

Banned
I think some of you definitely overstate the age issue. It's a different time where guys in their mid-late 30's are still in absolutely amazing shape and are still produce some of the best work in the ring. Sure, they will hit a point in a 2-4 years where the decline will be sudden and they're looking at retirement, but think about how long most "eras" are in WWE. The Attitude Era was only, what, 3-4 years?

Yes a lot of these dudes are pretty old, but they are who WWE view as their biggest draws for the time being.

They are building up a bunch of younger guys at the same time even if it's not exactly the center focus. But they also still fuck it up real good with guys that they should be protecting more like Kevin Owens (where they put themselves in a position where there was no choice really but for his Goldberg match to be a squash).

In an alternate reality where WWE isn't a public company run by Vince McMahon, guys like Goldberg and Brock would be facing younger stars to produce actual mega stars in the future. But that's just not the reality. Realistically we can only hope for bombastic PPVs every once in a while, and the occasional mildly entertaining storylines. That's just what WWE is.

Zach

656722.jpg
Hahaha. Well done, klonere, you goose.

jmdajr

I think some of you definitely overstate the age issue. It's a different time where guys in their mid-late 30's are still in absolutely amazing shape and are still produce some of the best work in the ring. Sure, they will hit a point in a 2-4 years where the decline will be sudden and they're looking at retirement, but think about how long most "eras" are in WWE. The Attitude Era was only, what, 3-4 years?

Yes a lot of these dudes are pretty old, but they are who WWE view as their biggest draws for the time being.

They are building up a bunch of younger guys at the same time even if it's not exactly the center focus. But they also still fuck it up real good with guys that they should be protecting more like Kevin Owens (where they put themselves in a position where there was no choice really but for his Goldberg match to be a squash).

In an alternate reality where WWE isn't ruin by Vince McMahon, guys like Goldberg and Brock would be facing younger stars to produce actual mega stars in the future. But that's just not the reality. Realistically we can only hope for bombastic PPVs every once in a while, and the occasional mildly entertaining storylines. That's just what WWE is.

A lot can change in 5 years. I wouldn't worry too much about getting new talent.

Fucking them up is a totally another story.

edit: Big Show knees are done.

Mahonay

Banned
The only place ages really matters is NXT because guys in to mid 30s shouldn't be there.
I'll 100 percent agree with that. Pretty fucking stupid keeping guys like Nak, Roode, Finn there for so long, just adding extra miles onto their bodies when they could have be drawing on their main shows for them. Haitch got WAY too invested in making NXT a super show, and putting the development territory aspect in the distant back seat.
:O

Can't believe Backlund was shorter. Amazing.
That is actually kind of crazy.

Mahonay

Banned
I might have to watch Neville vs Gallagher again. Those guys are so fucking good. WWE doesn't deserve them. Luckily they are being allowed to shine and in a shocking turn of events are being booked well.

Rimfya

Banned
I'm just so glad Big Show had an opportunity to get back on the map. I'm sure they'll carry his victory from Fastlane into some real important momentum for his career going forward.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I'm beginning to wonder if Goldberg can do anything other than a spear and a Jackhammer and look intense. Can he sell?

No, he's Goldberg. Goldberg is only effective as a squash match. Apparently he had a good match with DDP once. I really need to get around to watching that. This is what Goldberg does. He squashes people, or he gets cheated out of his win rarely.

No, he's Goldberg. Goldberg is only effective as a squash match. Apparently he had a good match with DDP once. I really need to get around to watching that. This is what Goldberg does. He squashes people, or he gets cheated out of his win rarely.

He also randomly had a great match with Scott Steiner

DDP vs Goldberg is an incredible match though.

Kaladin

So what are Braun's options for Wrestlemania?

Murder everyone in a multi-man ladder match for the US belt?

Murder everyone in the ARMBAR?

Murder Big Show again? Some other tall legend (Taker?)?

Pins Taker clean at Mania.

Spears Goldberg and knocks him out cold on RAW.

I can see it.
If they actually went full heel for Reigns vs Taker I'd be all for this, squashes champberg on the raw after mania for the title.

There is a place for Zayn, and it isn't in the WWE.
This could unfortunately apply to a lot of the roster.

Send Zayn and Rusev to Smackdown in exchange for Ziggler, Apollo Crews, and Kalisto

Best fantasy booking I've seen in a while, and what a scoop for Raw, they gain an extra that's also a cruiserweight.

Mahonay

Banned
So what are Braun's options for Wrestlemania?

Murder everyone in a multi-man ladder match for the US belt?

Murder everyone in the ARMBAR?

Murder Big Show again? Some other tall legend (Taker?)?
I do hope they have an actual Mania plan for Braun.

If the whole idea was to just feed him to Reigns at Fastlane to MAKE ROMAN LOOK STRONGT before Mania...christ.

Braun losing like that was probably the thing that pissed me off most about Fastlane. Just pinning your monster on a B-PPV. OK then.

Lothar

Banned
So who's not bothering with Mania this year?

I'm probably going to skip it just like I skipped last year, unless they do a great job of winning me over on Raw.

The only match I would have cared about was Jericho/Owens but I'm not going to care if it's not treated as important (for a midcard belt) or if the reasons for feuding aren't there. (Owens betrayed Jericho because of something HHH said. It wasn't "I'll make sure you retain your title" which is the only thing that would make sense). They don't care about that match so we'd be stupid to care.

What else is there? Nothing.

I do hope they have an actual Mania plan for Braun.

If the whole idea was to just feed him to Reigns at Fastlane to MAKE ROMAN LOOK STRONGT before Mania...christ.

Braun losing like that was probably the thing that pissed me off most about Fastlane. Just pinning your monster on a B-PPV. OK then.

Knowing WWE as I do, they'll likely just ignore it ever happened and keep Braun stomping the shit out of people.

They normally only ever 'stick' to shit once they've made a massive deal about it before hand.

Mahonay

Banned
If they actually went full heel for Reigns vs Taker I'd be all for this, squashes champberg on the raw after mania for the title.
A full on heel Reigns would solve most of my complaints about him.
Knowing WWE as I do, they'll likely just ignore it ever happened and keep Braun stomping the shit out of people.

They normally only ever 'stick' to shit once they've made a massive deal about it before hand.
Yeah this seems likely.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The issue is the same people saying "well everyone's in their 30s now" were the same people saying just a few years ago saying the company needed more people in their 20s. All it took for the tune to change was signing people from the indies who were old, and suddenly the same voices started crying "age doesn't matter!" Just because it's their favs now doesn't mean their own original argument is suddenly invalid or can be erased.

Like I said: 2fargone

kind of like how everyoen was fine to rip on big show being fat for years then when its kevin owens we suddenly have mods stepping in and threatening to shut down the thread
thinking-face.png

Top Bottom