• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
It's fun to see WWE troll the audience because that gives the audience something to be vocal about, and loud crowds make shows better even when they're bad.

It's fun to see WWE troll the audience because that gives the audience something to be vocal about, and loud crowds make shows better even when they're bad.

I'd prefer it if they created vocal crowd reactions by making the shows as good as they can be, not some meta trolling bullshit.

Heel

I'd prefer it if they created vocal crowd reactions by making the shows as good as they can be, not some meta trolling bullshit.

The crowd has shown they're not sophisticated enough to react to anything other than surface level story lines and three letter chants.

tm24

Probably will be, the Torch said he's reporting to the Performance Centre in May.

Guessing we'll get Drake vs Cole as the main event? I presume they'll want to give him a good send off - dude's been awesome in PWG.
Who knows what we'll get . last year Mystery vortex matches weren't announced in advance Cept the title match

Recall

I'd be totally okay with the Dudleys being WWE tag champs in 2014 honestly. They were far more entertaining than the Outlaws ever were.

No thanks.

x3h4dy_zps914a11a2.gif

jmdajr

It's just a bunch of trolling back and forth. Sheamus/Christian match wasn't even that bad and the audience trolled that.

Why not have a show with shield/wyatts/bryan/cesaro.... have the show be 60 minutes, and then go home.
Get your yes chants/awesome chants in..and call it an evening.

Best idea for the WWE to troll and incite wrath amongst their lapdog fanbase for WMXXX would be to announce a stip for D.Brine vs. Hunter where Bryan gets to challenge for the title that night if he defeats Triple H... and then book Bryan to lose against Hunter (hence rendering the stip useless and proceeding ahead with Orton vs. Big Dave as planned).

I so hope they go this route. In fact, as a betting man I would put money on this being the plan even while Meltzer and Alvarez and all of the "experts" out there proclaim that the logical booking would be to have D.Brine go over.

I would be ok with this, the authority angle makes me roll my eyes.... but i kind of agree with the way they speak about Bryan. I don't get how he got so popular, that is a real head scratcher for me.

But more important i would love to see the main event of WM XXX be destroyed with negative chants just to make the event look bad in retrospect. They won't care because fans sitll paid to watch it, but in years gone by they may end up pretending it doesn't exist because negative chanting is not a good look.

jmdajr

Someone made a good point. These days they don't boo heels, they boo "bad booking."

So ok, book the perfect show and everyone is happy and they cheer from start to finish.
Awesome. Not very pro wrestling if you ask me, but maybe this is a new era.

Who do you want to win the super bow?

I don't care I love all 32 teams omg!

jmdajr

I would be ok with this, the authority angle makes me roll my eyes.... but i kind of agree with the way they speak about Bryan. I don't get how he got so popular, that is a real head scratcher for me.

But more important i would love to see the main event of WM XXX be destroyed with negative chants just to make the event look bad in retrospect. They won't care because fans sitll paid to watch it, but in years gone by they may end up pretending it doesn't exist because negative chanting is not a good look.

Just became the poster boy for burials. For whatever reason, they actually felt bad for this one.

Comedy elements with Kane helped tremendously. And overall, he's just well... likeable.

The in ring proficiency isn't even that important.

People discredit HHH, but the hate for him does increase the love for D.Bry as well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Bootaaay...everyone, even:

Book-A-Time-Travel-PPV:

Current-day NJPW vs WCW nWo era - pre-Wolfpac

Browny

Banned
Someone made a good point. These days they don't boo heels, they boo "bad booking."

So ok, book the perfect show and everyone is happy and they cheer from start to finish.

All very true. People are quite demanding nowadays - there are so many pastimes that you can choose. Fans want to be entertained - whether it's by faces or heels, or a good mid-card storyline playing out in the background, or by two people having a good match-up.

Something that doesn't tick even one of the boxes will be shat upon. That's probably only fair, given you can change the channel at any time, or go and do something else...

jmdajr

All very true. People are quite demanding nowadays - there are so many pastimes that you can choose. Fans want to be entertained - whether it's by faces or heels, or a good mid-card storyline playing out in the background, or by two people having a good match-up.

Something that doesn't tick even one of the boxes will be shat upon. That's probably only fair, given you can change the channel at any time, or go and do something else...

I don't know if perfect booking can work. I think less people would watch.

it's like the Howard Stern movie-

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.

Pig Vomit: How can that be?

Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?

Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?

Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Personally I don't think you can have wrestling without pissing off folks in some way or form.
Everyone knows it's fake these days, so you need new ways to antagonize them.
Back then folks got pissed off for real, and now...same shit is happening, but differently.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nash reign supreme. None of them guys even over 6 feet.

Also Ishii vs Norton.

Ishii vs Norton? Do you WANT a bomb to go off? Because that's what happens when tummies collide.

A lot of it boils down to 2 things:

Okada vs Sting
Outsiders vs ?

Invasion Attack, I'm guessing, after Shibata wins the New Japan Cup. Fantasy booking time;

. Ibushi beats Okada at the 42nd Anniversary Show.
. Shibata wins the New Japan Cup.
. Okada defeats Shibata at Invasion Attack.
. Okada defeats Ibushi in a title vs title match at Dontaku in May, immediately vacates the jr's championship.
. the winner of the Best of the Super Jr's in June is crowned the new champion. Either Ibushi wins, or he loses in the final to Desperado.
. random Okada defence at Dominion, Karl Anderson, maybe.
. Nakamura wins the G1, Okada confronts him after the final.
. random Okada defences at Destruction, King of Pro-Wrestling and Power Struggle - I'd go with Nagata, Suzuki & Archer.
. Nakamura defeats Okada for the belt at Wrestle Kingdom, CHAOS splits and feuds into 2015.

I love it.

It won't happen, but it would be funny to see Shibata win the belt just for the fact he managed to win something Goto couldn't win after 7 tries.

lol

Shibata > Goto
Let it be know

This is obvious. No need for that post!

Just became the poster boy for burials. For whatever reason, they actually felt bad for this one.

Comedy elements with Kane helped tremendously. And overall, he's just well... likeable.

The in ring proficiency isn't even that important.

People discredit HHH, but the hate for him does increase the love for D.Bry as well.

That's true, i am conflicted.... have HHH win to give the crowd a reason to be 'rowdy'. But at the same time i dislike the fact that he is in a match, he doesn't need to wrestle any more.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, yeah...

Okada vs Sting
Hollywood Hogan vs Tanahashi
Outsiders vs Yano/Iizuka
Meng vs Ishii
Juventud/Psicosis vs Ibushi/Naito
Alex Wright/Disco Inferno vs TimeSplitters
Minoru Suzuki vs DDP
Harlem Heat vs Goto/Shibata vs Kanyon/Raven

Fuck I dunno. This is tougher than I thought. The WCW roster is WAY too deep to get this figured out. So many people being left out.

jmdajr

That's true, i am conflicted.... have HHH win to give the crowd a reason to be 'rowdy'. But at the same time i dislike the fact that he is in a match, he doesn't need to wrestle any more.

Hell he probbaly doesn't want to wrestle anymore. But he truly is the biggest real HEEL.
He has a decade plus of reasons for people to hate his guts.

I guess you can fault WWE for not creating better HEELs, but it's not easy these days.
And I'm talking about heels folks can legitimately hate.

History (by that I mean podcasts that'll review this show within 5 years) will look back at Wrestlemania 30 and HHH/Bryan as match of the night BUT Bryan didn't get the title, and the irrational/delusional/mark part of me thinks that will forever be the blemish in what is the year of Bryan's peak in popularity, and that it'll forever die off due to the lack of pulling such a trigger. Beating HHH isn't pulling the trigger, it's more like dodging a bullet in my opinion. The more I think about it, the more Court Bauer is right about Bryan becoming Ziggler.

Sephzilla

Bryan for the last few years has simply been rock solid as a performer in my opinion. In-ring he's consistently pretty good if not great, and he's been able to turn a few different variations of his character into pretty entertaining and fun times.

McNei1y

I also think it has to do with storylines. why should people care about midcard match when there's no actual meat to the thing? I think people just cheer the better talent of the two in that case.

strobogo

Banned
Sigh.

I'm never going to fully forgive Goldberg for pretty much ending the career of one of my all time favorites.

Bret was fucked up before that kick. I have zero doubt he already had a concussion before that. When he did the ring post figure four, he slammed his head hard on the floor and stayed on the ground holding the front of his head and was kind of out of it the rest of the match.

They do not need HHH to win for the crowd to be rowdy. They booked Batista vs Orton for the mainevent of Wrestlemania 30 the crowd is already pissed going in to the event.

Sephzilla

I guess you can fault WWE for not creating better HEELs, but it's not easy these days.
And I'm talking about heels folks can legitimately hate.

Well it really doesn't help when WWE writes seemingly every one of their heels the exact same way. Way too many cowardly "run away and hide" heels. Even Brock has dipped his toes into that pool.

UberTag

Best idea for the WWE to troll and incite wrath amongst their lapdog fanbase for WMXXX would be to announce a stip for D.Brine vs. Hunter where Bryan gets to challenge for the title that night if he defeats Triple H... and then book Bryan to lose against Hunter (hence rendering the stip useless and proceeding ahead with Orton vs. Big Dave as planned).

I so hope they go this route. In fact, as a betting man I would put money on this being the plan even while Meltzer and Alvarez and all of the "experts" out there proclaim that the logical booking would be to have D.Brine go over.
Did... Did you just play Danganronpa
Why must you enjoy the despair of others so?!
Just call me Monokuma.
Figured I might as well wear the clothes if I'm playing the part and all.

jmdajr

Well it really doesn't help when WWE writes seemingly every one of their heels the exact same way. Way too many cowardly "run away and hide" heels. Even Brock has dipped his toes into that pool.

I feel real life adds to making heels. Vince screwed Bret for real and that helped tremendously. Edge screwed Lita, and that helped too!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I also think it has to do with storylines. why should people care about midcard match when there's no actual meat to the thing? I think people just cheer the better talent of the two in that case.

Or a main event match with no meat to it. I find it hard to believe the same people booking the Shield/Wyatt program are also responsible for Batista/Orton.

Um, well...maybe they'll bring back the Hardcore belt for him, breh.

Minimum 5x WWE World Champion breh. Seth will be the new CM Punk sans whining.

Who do you think HHH will have his retirement match against?

It can't be Taker; they already had the end of an era thing. Can't really think of anyone else.

Heel

Does Bryan actually move the ratings needle? Can he sell pay-per-views? Show me detailed numbers, including HUT if possible.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Does Bryan actually move the ratings needle? Can he sell pay-per-views? Show me detailed numbers, including HUT if possible.

It's weird, his numbers dropped, but it looked to be a universal drop and not attributable to him alone.

Sblargh

Banned
I'd like to see if they made Bubba change his finisher - no one has powerbombs in WWE anymore. Maybe a top guy like Cena or Bryan might get to use one occasionally, but as a finisher? Bubba'd probably end up with a spinning neckbreaker, or some shit. Everyone ends up with a spinning neckbreaker, or dumb faceplant crap. I'm sick of that shit - moves with impact, please!

tumblr_n1oxt1F5aR1t6njhko1_400.gif

Who do you think HHH will have his retirement match against?

Since Punk was gonna leave it would have been nice to have a career vs career match this year with Punk going over and Triple H finally retiring from being an active wrestler. It might have been enough to get Punk stick around until the end of his contract.

UberTag

Welcome to team #NO
Not just Team #NO.
The winning team.
The team that has accepted the inevitability that is despair in WWE booking.
The team that knows full well that Triple H will handily beat a guy that was originally pegged for Christian's current spot when Trips was supposed to bury CM Punk - before Punk bailed.
The team that is well aware of WWE gleefully trolling what they perceive to be a hapless, addicted, spineless fanbase of chant-loving pissants.
The team that knows that emotionally investing in feuds that ultimately go nowhere and serve no purpose is a fool's cause.
The team that knows that the reason Triple H & Stephanie were perceived to be so good on the mic last night is that they genuinely believe everything they say.
The team that knows that D.Brine is being actively sabotaged because he's been reduced to nothing more than saying that the fans love him and he should be given a push because of that.

Any faith in #YES is misplaced. It's hopeless. It's a path to a Community thread full of Triple H avatars post-Mania.
And if there was ever a better example of despair than that I sure can't think of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom