• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
I'm really not a fan of ladder matches and the like. There are huge moments that take my breath away for sure but it's hard for me to enjoy them because I'm extremely concerned for the people in them. The possibility of a large tragedy is just too omnipresent.
Afterwards I feel I can appreciate them but during I'm a wreck.

I agree, but I'm more tired of them because the really is never a story reason to use a ladder other than "We're going to have a big spot fest!". Cage matches make sense. There really isn't a logical way to have an excuse to hang something above the ring and have to win by climbing a ladder to get it. Same for pole matches. Like Cena/Orton at TLC. Zero reason for it to be a TLC match. It was just there for spots, which all sucked anyway.

Don't prove who is the better wrestler by wrestling, prove who is the better wrestler by who can climb a ladder first.

I'm really not a fan of ladder matches and the like. There are huge moments that take my breath away for sure but it's hard for me to enjoy them because I'm extremely concerned for the people in them. The possibility of a large tragedy is just too omnipresent.
Afterwards I feel I can appreciate them but during I'm a wreck.

Yeah, they can be a bit tough to watch sometimes, for sure - the one with the Wolves vs Steen/Generico where Eddie broke his wrist the night before, yet still wrestle in the Ladder War, was particularly worrying.

Don't prove who is the better wrestler by wrestling, prove who is the better wrestler by who can climb a ladder first.

It's not really about proving who's the better wrestler, in this case - the Ladder War has taken the place of the Fight Without Honor stipulation as ROH's most violent, feud-ending match-up. But, yeah, it's mostly an excuse for a match with lots of big spots.

strobogo

Banned
What, women can't clean gutters? Bo is such a sexist.

Edge, Sunny, would you make fun of me if I told you I taped my kettlebells to a broom stick to use for over head presses, curls, and upright rows?

Because I know how much you all love indie superkick spots;

Superkick.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What, women can't clean gutters? Bo is such a sexist.

Edge, Sunny, would you make fun of me if I told you I taped my kettlebells to a broom stick to use for over head presses, curls, and upright rows?

Hell no, you gotta work with what you have.

But that broomstick's gonna snap brah. Once you get movin.

joelseph

Sat in front of some of the Briscoe clan at ROH this past weekend, good folks. They run a Sports memorabilia shop in Illinois and Bar and Grill in Indiana. No idea what relation to the brothers but very nice to talk to.

jred2k

I agree, but I'm more tired of them because the really is never a story reason to use a ladder other than "We're going to have a big spot fest!". Cage matches make sense. There really isn't a logical way to have an excuse to hang something above the ring and have to win by climbing a ladder to get it. Same for pole matches. Like Cena/Orton at TLC. Zero reason for it to be a TLC match. It was just there for spots, which all sucked anyway.

Isn't the reasoning behind a ladder match that you have to beat your opponent down to the point that they no longer have the strength or ability to stop you from climbing the ladder? In essence its a Last Man Standing match with climbing a ladder instead of a 10 count. I think the element of fear of heights can play in to it as well, but that may just be me reflecting my personal feeling about heights on the match.

strobogo

Banned
Hell no, you gotta work with what you have.

But that broomstick's gonna snap brah. Once you get movin.

I had a crack early on and wrapped that sumbitch with 4 different kinds of tape. Reinforced like a battle royal ring in the 80s. I feel like I get more results than using kettlebells the normal way. Also, they tear my shoulders up. I have weird injuries to both that kind of sort of prevent total range of motion without grinding and cracking. I also like doing 20 over heads more than 20 snatches. I just don't have the room for a real bar and weights. I also enjoy beating the shit out of things with a sledgehammer. I can see why HHH loves them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I had a crack early on and wrapped that sumbitch with 4 different kinds of tape. Reinforced like a battle royal ring in the 80s. I feel like I get more results than using kettlebells the normal way. Also, they tear my shoulders up. I have weird injuries to both that kind of sort of prevent total range of motion without grinding and cracking. I also like doing 20 over heads more than 20 snatches. I just don't have the room for a real bar and weights. I also enjoy beating the shit out of things with a sledgehammer. I can see why HHH loves them.

If you have shoulder issues look into band pullaparts and rear delt destroyers if they're doable. Brolic Gaoler in Fit-GAF is THE BEST dude, period, to get shoulder advice from. He hooked me up right.

strobogo

Banned
If you have shoulder issues look into band pullaparts and rear delt destroyers if they're doable. Brolic Gaoler in Fit-GAF is THE BEST dude, period, to get shoulder advice from. He hooked me up right.

I like to pretend I'm the Warrior when doing over heads. Sometimes I do a splash on my bed after I do a set.

Alucard

Banned
Ladder War V confirmed for ROH's Supercard of Honor VIII;

9t7Oqsf.jpg

Should be pretty awesome - I know practically no-one here's watching ROH TV, but Cole's improved a ton over this title reign, can't wait to see this match.

I watch and review ROH TV every week.

I got my tickets to Global Wars in Toronto yesterday.

ROH is doing some very good things right now. It's only a 50-minute commitment every week for the TV show, and it's free after a quick signup on rohwrestling.com.

Cole is the best of the three heel champs going now. (Orton, Magnus, Cole)

jmdajr

Oh that Bret

On the aftermath of WrestleMania 8 with Roddy Piper:

"Well, the truth is, when we finished the match, we almost got into it in the back. Because Roddy had kicked me in the face and busted me open, and there was a little tension from that when I came back. I remember that Chief Jay Strongbow had to kinda get between us, and we had to cool our heels for an hour before we could at least thank each other for the match."

Who he would have liked to work at WrestleMania that he wishes he had:

"I’d have like to put Hulk Hogan in the sharpshooter if he had shown up."

On his feeling towards the Shawn Michaels & Razor Ramon’s ladder match at WrestleMania X
I:

"I felt totally ripped off. I had told Vince the idea since the very first day that I got there that I’ve got this idea about a ladder match that we been doing up in Calgary. Everytime I sat down with Vince I would always say, I’ve got this idea for a match but you’ve got to promise me you won’t do it with anybody else. One day he did ask me to show him the watch so that he could have an idea, so I went and found Shawn, and it’s one of those matches that’s on a video but we kinda just went out there and did a dry run just to show Vince what the match was, it wasn’t the greatest ladder match, nor was it intended to be. But it was a match to show the bare bones of it to Vince. I remember when it was over I knocked on Vince’s door and said did you see it, and he said he missed it. Scott Hall, not Scott Hall but Razor Ramon saw the match, of course Shawn was in the match so he kinda got to think hey this is a great idea, and so they went to Vince without my permission and stole my idea took the match. They had a great match at WrestleMania X but it wasn’t the wrestlers that were great, it was the match that was great."

"Do not look at Jake Roberts Knee Hole"

GOD DAMN IT!

Oh that Bret

To be fair it's super well documented that the Harts invented the ladder match. That said, the Stampede matches were nothing in comparison to what Razor/Shawn did in their match and it (likely) propelled the gimmick more than what Bret could have done (...Owen would have been better than any of the above).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Japan is going to kill the console market. Cheap fuckers.

I got nothing wrestling related to that.
"it wasn’t the wrestlers that were great, it was the match that was great"

Someone tell me how a wrestling match is great without the wrestlers, please.

Flair said Shawn Michaels carried that whole match. Which is hilarious because Shawn considers Razor one of the best guys of all time to work with and someone who helped him learn how to get better. But Flair's a shitty mark who can't accept people who don't like him or did better than him.

jmdajr

If Great Khali and Nash had a ladder match, it be automatically great you see? That's the beauty of it.

G-Fex

Only thing I believe Bret about is the whole thing about Warrior denying to see that dying sick kid.

Everything else sounds like fucking salt.

Also Warrior is an asshole.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WWE took down BRET HART IS HIS OWN BIGGEST MARK

I was going to link it because of how relevant it was. 'Mother fucker not everything is about you'

strobogo

Banned

Hogan/Warrior is great. Warrior wasn't even a good wrestler, Hogan maxed out at "Pretty good. When motivated. In Japan." Yet that match is great because it is expertly laid out by someone who understood how to tell a story in wrestling and how to properly use the characters and personalities of Warrior and Hogan to create something that should have been beyond their capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom