• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgeward

If they had a live stream of the performance center sessions, I would watch that. Be nice to see SDR train the divas and figure out what some of the wrestlers are doing and why they havent gotten any better like Bo, Graves, Ascension

Is she current TNA Knockouts Champion Madison Rayne?

Nope. Remember David Young from early TNA? She's his daughter.

602549_10151804338720797_1762534479_n.jpg

Edgeward

I remember when interviews like this were on Raw, instead we are instructed how to sign up for websites and downloading an app in 2014

Those mankind ones were great

And Cena better put Bray over

What are the origins of christian getting the blue dot name ?

Not complaining about it, just curious as to how it started. I always saw him as the more talented out of the Edge & Christian tag team, and felt he should have got the push Edge did when they were broken up. But Edge went on to roid up and the rest is history.

strobogo

Banned
LEGIT SHOOK WCW SuperBrawl 1991

ierpjqBmiGLh8.gif

ipmflHyuIBCoh.gif

iK2mM5Atrl1Gq.gif

ifvqsSTswlBgB.gif

i0emgfXIsnnqP.gif

This show would have sent me into a full blown 2000 era melt down had the last three matches not been so good. It's a fucking weird show. Also at the link is a gif of Stan Hansen in his boxers, Lex botching a Russian leg sweep hard, Flair botching an Oklahoma roll, Johnny B. Badd, and more. Watch the bear on the left. IT'S PISS.

Meltzer says AJ's signed with NJPW;

It is believed A.J. Styles has signed a one-year deal with New Japan. Nothing can be officially confirmed because both Styles’ side and New Japan want things a secret until they announce it, which is expected to be in conjunction with the Invasion Attack show.

No chance he'll wrestle as a jr. heavyweight, so I could see him feuding with Tanahashi for the Intercontinental title.

strobogo

Banned
Why bears?

Why is a question that can be used for most of that show. Why does a lumberjack come out with bears? Why do you book El Gigante with a guy like Sid and why do you book them in a stretcher match that ends in a pin? Why do you have two talk show segments on a PPV? Why do you have everything to do with Oz, but why do you have a 6 minute entrance with a castle, lasers, pyro, 4 actors, and a monkey just to have a 30 second match? Why do you have 12 matches and have only 4 go over 10 minutes? Why do you have a running gag of Stan Hansen running Missy Hyatt out of the locker room?

Steiners vs Lex/Sting and Eaton/Arn were dope. Flair vs Fujinami was pretty good as well. But the rest of the show....why?

Aiii

So not worth it
You know, for the Mania pre-show, they should have on of the NXT heels win a match that allows them to challenge anyone on the main roster at the Mania pre-show and then have that guy call out Daniel Bryan (after a talking to by Steph), making him work a 20 minute match on the pre-show as well as Triple H and the main event.

Now THAT would be epic.

strobogo

Banned
You know, for the Mania pre-show, they should have on of the NXT heels win a match that allows them to challenge anyone on the main roster at the Mania pre-show and then have that guy call out Daniel Bryan (after a talking to by Steph), making him work a 20 minute match on the pre-show as well as Triple H and the main event.

Now THAT would be epic.

They should challenge Batista and make him work a 20 minute match on the pre show.

Aiii

So not worth it
WON about Double J's promotion and TNA's impending doom:
A lot of people in the company are outwardly rooting for Jeff Jarrett, and not just because of the belief it opens up more jobs in the business, but as a safety net. With every week that goes by without an announcement by Spike and TNA of a new deal (the current contract expires in the fall), concern grows. Morale was high about a month ago because of the great crowd response they got on the U.K. tour, and the feeling they were part of a major league promotion. But then when Lockdown, the company’s second biggest show of the year, couldn’t draw at all in Miami, the mood changed. For the most part, the faith in creative, Dixie Carter and John Gaburick is low right now. There’s the belief that Vince Russo is involved, and that it’s being kept a secret, which doesn’t help morale and leaves people confused since Russo hasn’t led to any success in wrestling since he left Vince McMahon nearly 15 years ago. Just the entire handling of The Wolves has been brought up, as they were brought in by David Lagana for a big push, and they’ve already had a storyline that made Richards look bad as a face, had a one week title run that came and went with no fanfare and only made the belts look unimportant. Regarding Jarrett, and this is just dressing room talk and belief of things going around since nothing will be announced until 4/7, and even those friends with Jarrett say they haven’t been told much of anything. The belief is it will start in January and CMT would be the home, but we’re told more than one station is being talked with and nothing is definitive just yet. The CMT rumors are because Toby Keith is involved and he’s got close connections with that network, and that speculation with Keith involved led to CMT. It was always thought that CMT and Spike would be the most logical homes, but Spike is not in the picture. The rumors in TNA is that Kurt Angle could be the lead star of the new group, which makes sense. Angle and Jarrett, despite major obvious issues in the past, are on good terms now. Angle’s contract expires in the fall. Given what happened with Styles, Sting and Hogan, who, along with Angle, were TNA’s highest paid guys, when their deals were up, has to make Angle’s staying at anything close to the his old deal as something very much uncertain. Perhaps TNA would keep Angle at his current rate to keep him from leaving. If anything, if they wanted to keep him, they should be negotiating a new deal now. There is a lot of bad blood with Angle from the WWE side. Granted, that was also eight years ago and since then, almost every major name has gone back that was a persona non grata in the past. Angle would also be 46 by the time the group would most likely launch, and if anything, physically with all his injuries, he’s not a young 46 by any means. The idea is to introduce a lot of new faces to the U.S. national scene. Jarrett has been scouting talent, as he’s working indie shows every weekend scouting, as well as looking at videos of people recommended to him, including international talent in Mexico and a lot of TNA people have sent word of being interested. Jarrett was also the one who put together the Wrestle-1 and TNA deal.

There is also talk that the promotion would open with a Jeff & Karen Jarrett reality show that would build to the launch of the TV show and promotion a few months later.

Browny

Banned
Toby Keith is clearly minted, and has got the network contacts to get them on TV - they just need decent writing, some good names to boost publicity, and be national (as opposed to just Nashville area). Didn't TNA struggle (in the big scheme of things) because they did / do most of their stuff in Florida?

Well competition can only be a good thing - but no one is really close to putting in a good challenge to the E. TNA came close (and they still get 1.0's on a regular basis, don't they?), ROH are trying hard... I think the nearest TNA got was when they signed Angle (a current top-level performer), so perhaps JJ needs to sign a similar marquee name (like Punk, not that that's likely).

Hasney

They should challenge Batista and make him work a 20 minute match on the pre show.

Tyler Breeze wins the match and gets on the mic.

"I want to take out the biggest eyesore ever in professional wrestling.... GIANT GONZALEZ. And I'm going to make him suffer... In a 60 minute iron man match.

Crowd goes wild for the whole match and fireworks go off to close the show after Tyler wins.

strobogo

Banned
Toby Keith is clearly minted, and has got the network contacts to get them on TV - they just need decent writing, some good names to boost publicity, and be national (as opposed to just Nashville area). Didn't TNA struggle (in the big scheme of things) because they did / do most of their stuff in Florida?

Well competition can only be a good thing - but no one is really close to putting in a good challenge to the E. TNA came close (and they still get 1.0's on a regular basis, don't they?), ROH are trying hard... I think the nearest TNA got was when they signed Angle (a current top-level performer), so perhaps JJ needs to sign a similar marquee name (like Punk, not that that's likely).

NO company should start up thinking they are going to compete with WWE. Ever. No company can and no company will. Double J's company should shoot for TNA levels and budget their business so what TNA does will be profitable for them.

I'm going to use Bing points to buy Ground Zeroes. I played it for about 8 hours straight from Redbox and want to play it for 70 more hours. I need it in my veins. I need Phantom Pain. I NEED IT. GIVE IT ME GOD DAMN IT. I'LL GIVE UP WCW FOREVER!

Browny

Banned
I agree - it's going to take, what, 10 years, to get some solid footing before they can really think about expanding. Problem is, TNA has been around for 12 years, 10 of that on network TV... Admittedly, they has Russo and Bischoff...

Hasney

Getting Ground Zeroes today or tomorrow. Damn I need it too.

Given up the idea of trading it in after the story and just going to buy an import Infamous. Now I just have to wait and eat bacon maple cupcakes my girlfriend baked. Not a bad day.

strobogo

Banned
I agree - it's going to take, what, 10 years, to get some solid footing before they can really think about expanding. Problem is, TNA has been around for 12 years, 10 of that on network TV... Admittedly, they has Russo and Bischoff...

No. I don't even think companies should be thinking about expanding. I think start ups/ROH companies should shoot for TNA level being the highest they can get and budget themselves to where that is making everyone money. There is never going to be another WCW that will come and compete and beat WWE for a while. That is never, ever going to happen again. You need to get your model set to where getting 1.0s and 500-1000 people is going to turn a profit. And what that means is young talent and lower production values. But in 2014, people can make professional level things at home on their computer. I think what Double J needs to do go for more of the studio setting as seen in the 80s. Not the Impact Zone, but tiny places like the studio Memphis ran out of for 25 years. Like the small studios JCP/Mid Atlantic/Georgia/Florida ran out of it. Don't try to rent out a quarter of the fucking Alamodome.

Unrelated, but I wish WWE would have kept up with the idea of the tag team Survivor Series matches. I think a 1991 version would have been weird as fuck with teams like Natural Disasters/Power and Glory/Nasty Boys/Power and Glory/Orient Express vs Bushwhackers/Rockers/LOD/New Foundation/Sgt. Slaughter & Jim Duggan.

strobogo

Banned
T-TNA's going to be alright ...right?....RIGHT?

In the same sense that Jerry Springer is still on TV, yes.

Some other ideas I have on wrestling on this night/morning of which I've been drinking since about 8PM (it is now 6:47AM and I took a break to sober up so I could go to White Castle because onion chips and chicken rings sounded really good):

Tyler Breeze should be brought in as Fandango's partner. The two would then get jealous of each other and have a heel vs heel feud like HBK vs Rick Martel in 1992 culminating in a "no punches to the face allowed match".

I would most definitely watch a JJ/Karen Jarret reality show.

They should keep running Alexander Rusev promos and then have him redebut in a manner similar to what happened with Brodus Clay. And then forget about him 5 months later so he can go to TNA or some shit. Because he sucks.

Sensational Sherri could fucking get it all god damn day.

It's amazing watching the 70s WWWF stuff and how nothing happens, yet people pop like crazy for the simplest stuff. An example: Bruno and Superstar fighting over full nelsons and shoulder locks for 8 minutes and the fans losing their shit when Bruno finally reverses. Also, how unique George Steele was back then. I only remember him as the boring old man in the 80s and 90s, but you see him in the 70s and he's basically like a non-highspot Sabu. Completely out of control, chasing fans, and so different than anything else at the time. A random match against Tony Garea had more heat than even Bruno vs Superstar for the title. It's also really fucking weird when he shows up on docs/Rewind/Countdown and seems like such a nice, friendly grandpa.

Once Brock's contract is up, Paul Heyman should absolutely form a new Dangerous Alliance with guys from all levels of the card. WWE really needs a new heel stable that isn't GM/COO/CEO related.

Pat Patterson should be brought back full time to book Bray and Roman's matches.

WWE should force everyone they employ to watch Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton matches and steal liberally.

WWE should bring back jobber matches for Superstars. It's already a C-tier show, so I think they should use it to make their lower guys look better. And the jobbers should be schlubby looking guys, not dudes with 6 packs or well known indie guys. I want an out of shape normal dude to make Cesaro look like even more of a beast.

WWE should watch older JCP/WCW footage and steal their camera angles. More mat level stuff and more in the corner stuff. They kind of tried different camera stuff with NXT before the reboot, and there have been some camera stuff from the steps during tag matches that really stand out, but none of them have made it to the main shows or stuck.

WWE should bring back the hotline, but done in Skype form. I'm watching Summerslam 1991 and Randy Savage "talking to fans" on the hotline to people asking him how he's going to fuck Liz on the honeymoon makes me really to see the reactions of the Divas and dudes when fans flash on Skype on the WWE App.

Browny

Banned
WWE should bring back jobber matches for Superstars. It's already a C-tier show, so I think they should use it to make their lower guys look better. And the jobbers should be schlubby looking guys, not dudes with 6 packs or well known indie guys. I want an out of shape normal dude to make Cesaro look like even more of a beast.

So I google "jobber", and look who pops up (before getting his ass handed to him by Earthquake):

*shakes head from side to side*

Anyone know a good spot to see the current new Japan shirts? I've got a buddy sending me some Wrestling magazines and I want to get a shirt or two as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom