• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The God-King Reigns, Baby

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So WWE is going with Reigns/Rollins feud after Mania.

One of two things has to happen, then:

Reigns wins over Lesnar and then Reigns/Rollins feud over the title

OR

Reigns loses, Rollins tries to cash in and Reigns costs him the cash in chance, setting up a feud into Summerslam.

I'm going with the latter. The fact that Cena/Rusev are going to continue to feud into the summer...I don't know. I don't see how long they can keep interest. As for Lesnar, my guess is he feuds with Orton over the title but he'd have to remain heel, one would think.

That dirt sheet report indicates the Reigns/Rollins feud is going to be for the belt. Brock-GAF, it's time to accept what's going to happen on Sunday.

Cagey

Banned
For those, like me, who lapsed as WWE fans in the 00s, (me: from ~2003 to ~2011), what were some of the things that you found entirely ridiculous or stupid or unthinkably dumb when you'd catch 5 minutes of a show that one time flipping through channels?

Some that stand out:
- Rapper Cena
- Bradshaw becoming JBL, Republican oil tycoon guy, and being a champion
- Booker T being considered important
- Carlito, like everything about this doofus, particularly the apple shit
- The male cheerleaders
- CM Punk as a "straight edge" good guy in the new ECW

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Diesel was more fun to watch in 95 than Bret or Shawn.

Eeeh. I'm watching that stuff right now and don't know if I agree. Bret has great matches with Diesel, Hakushi, JPL. Diesel has good matches with HBK and Bret (and a surprisingly good match against Bam Bam when he turns face on RAW) and then a bunch of stinkers with the likes of Sid and Mabel.

HBK has a pretty down year overall. He has one good match with Diesel and one really good match with Double J.

bjork

Eeeh. I'm watching that stuff right now and don't know if I agree. Bret has great matches with Diesel, Hakushi, JPL. Diesel has good matches with HBK and Bret (and a surprisingly good match against Bam Bam when he turns face on RAW) and then a bunch of stinkers with the likes of Sid and Mabel.

HBK has a pretty down year overall. He has one good match with Diesel and one really good match with Double J.

I started to say 1994, then I remembered Bret/Owen happening a bunch and went "whoa..."

For those, like me, who lapsed as WWE fans in the 00s, (me: from ~2003 to ~2011), what were some of the things that you found entirely ridiculous or stupid or unthinkably dumb when you'd catch 5 minutes of a show that one time flipping through channels?

Some that stand out:
- Rapper Cena
- The male cheerleaders

bold were awesome

Man God

Non-Canon Member
For those, like me, who lapsed as fans in the 00s, (me: from ~2003 to ~2011), what were some of the things that you found entirely ridiculous or stupid or unthinkably dumb when you'd catch 5 minutes of a show that one time flipping through channels?

Some that stand out:
- Rapper Cena
- The male cheerleaders

I took 2002 to 2008 completely off and saw RAW through that exact prism.

Flipping through hearing about JBL being commentator and then champion was a hoot.
Live Sex Acts from Edge.
Randy Orton Legend Killing.
The Spirit Squad
The random runs of Hogan, Tatanka, Bob Orton.
Baby Punt!
3 Minute Warning, one of my favorite wrestling gags.

Geez that ending to Raw was stupid lol.

I use to watch RR and WM every year even when I lost interest in watching properly during that era. And yea I remember seriously thinking "Huh?" when I saw Bradshaw was the champ lol, legit surprised that jobber is a main event guy now apparently.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'll have to take your word for it, I'm fairly knowledgeable in all things America compared to other Dutch folks, but I never heard of this guy.

Boooooooo America. Booooo. Good picks though, three great bands.

Commercialized metal never really had a good run in the 90s here compared to Europe. Iron Maiden is still largely unknown out here unless you're INTO metal. People may have heard of them, but have never ever heard a song of theirs.

Some that stand out:
- Rapper Cena
- The male cheerleaders

nu DX
Smackdown HHH
The "WWE UNIVERSE IS GOING TO VOTE ON THE NEXT MATCH ERA"
All non Bob Barker celebrity hosts

I found the stint where Jeff Hardy was in the main event to be mostly unpleasant

Heel Matt was funny though, just because he went from 0 to complete psychopath

Sephzilla

Mania 30 was definitely, hands down one of the five best Manias in my book.

+1

WM30 is easily one of the best

Some that stand out:
- Rapper Cena
- The male cheerleaders

Agreed with these. I'd throw WWECW in there as a whole

Cagey

Banned
JBL and Booker being champions of some kind and Carlito's whole apple bullshit are my two most memorable instances where I thought "hahaha wow glad I don't watch this anymore".
And here I am.

The apple thing sticks out the most. I couldn't believe that there was a wrestler who looked like crap and whose character was spit apple chunks at people.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh, I completely missed GM Kirk Angel and King Booker. I will totally watch all of those shows when they go up.

JBL actually kinda made sense as champion.

I also love Carlito.

Cagey

Banned
I'm sure if I go back and watch JBL and King Booker, it'll be great.

More about what you remember from periods you weren't watching wrestling but caught some glimpses.

Could be from any time period, if people remember.

late 00s ails begin and end with the sudden main event pushes of duds like Khali and Koslov. I guess they felt they could replicate the lucky strike they had with Umaga (who despite his ring work I wasn't a fan of either).

They were lucky they had jeff hardy around back then.

WWE was a black hole between the Benoit tragedy and the nexus debut with very few bright spots (HBK/Jericho and the Taker matches at mania).

Thorakai

I remember my mom going full mark and absolutely hating JBL for kicking those undocumented immigrants in that program with Eddie.

Bandini

I actually started fading out around 95/96, then when I heard Bret Hart was going to WCW that pretty much killed whatever enthusiasm I had left. The random stuff I caught while channel surfing from 97-00 was dumb as hell, lots of morons at my high school had DX shirts and I just found it really trashy and obnoxious.

One night I was over at a buddy's house, this must have been around 1999, we were pretty lit and channel surfing and came across some rap/rock music video with wrestlers and some dude screaming "ARE YOU TALKIN' TO ME?!?!" We couldn't tell if it was a joke for the longest time, was laughing for about 5 minutes straight at how terrible it was.

Later in the aughts, the only real exposure I had was seeing John Cena and thinking "This is their main guy now? He's so lame!"

That dirt sheet report indicates the Reigns/Rollins feud is going to be for the belt. Brock-GAF, it's time to accept what's going to happen on Sunday.

That report also notes that those plans were in place before Brock re-signed, and that they were likely to change now that he has.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's been a trip watching RAW from the start.I've seen maybe 3 of these during Summer Break or Winter Vacation or whatever but I remember some of the feuds from watching Superstars or ASW or whatever on Saturday mornings.

It's crazy how much better a lot of the story lines were back then. The feuds were usually logical. The wrestling was ten times worse most of the time though. Vince is great, god damn it, despite almost never calling the action in the ring.

Kaladin

It begins tonight:

ev39_03262015_ippv.jpg

EVOLVE 39 - Thursday, March 26th - 8pm PST, 11pm EST - www.WWNLive.com

EVOLVE World Title Match
EVOLVE Champion Drew Galloway defends vs. PJ Black

They didn't get a chance to reach their potential as Drew McIntyre and Justin Gabriel. Tonight they will be unleashed and the EVOLVE World Title will be on the line!

DGUSA Open The Freedom Gate Title Match
DGUSA Open The Freedom Gate Champion Johnny Gargano defends vs. AR Fox

Fox has won the EVOLVE Title, Style Battle and the DGUSA Open The United Gate Titles. Only the Open The Freedom Gate Title has eluded him. Tonight he gets his shot to make history.

A Wrestling Odyssey Rematch
Timothy Thatcher vs. Drew Gulak

They put on a clinic last year at A Wrestling Odyssey. The rematch will start the weekend tonight as this rivalry continues in San Jose.

Six Man Tag Team Attraction
Ricochet, Rich Swann & Uhaa Nation vs. Caleb Konley, TJ Perkins & Brian Cage w/SoCal Val

This ongoing feud continues, but this time with a refurbished Premier Athlete Brand. This six man tag could steal the entire weekend!

First Time Ever Match
Chris Hero vs. Ethan Page

Page has been endorsed by Johnny Gargano and he looks to make a name against one of the independents best and hardest-hitting veterans.

Pro Wrestling Clinic
Biff Busick vs. Tommy End

There's no back story or hype here, just two technical innovators competing for the win. End looks to impress in his EVOLVE debut while Busick needs to continue his momentum.

http://www.wwnlive.com/event-evolve-03-26-15.html

Looking forward to this one!

Alucard

Banned
New Japan watchers: do you think there is any chance at all of Kota Ibushi defeating AJ Styles for the IWGP Championship? I'm leaning towards "No" since AJ just won it from Tanahashi, but they could also be setting Ibushi up for a monumental win over a gaijin wrestler. Or maybe they'll hold off on crowning him until a major event like Wrestle Kingdom...2017.

Speaking of Wrestle Kingdom, who do you see main eventing that show in January 2016? Will we see the conclusion to the Okada redemption story at that time? Will AJ hold the belt until WK10 and then be taken down by Okada, who will have earned the respect of Tanahashi by defeating AJ on the biggest stage New Japan has?

Evolve show looks pretty nice. Might check it out.

New Japan watchers: do you think there is any chance at all of Kota Ibushi defeating AJ Styles for the IWGP Championship? I'm leaning towards "No" since AJ just won it from Tanahashi, but they could also be setting Ibushi up for a monumental win over a gaijin wrestler. Or maybe they'll hold off on crowning him until a major event like Wrestle Kingdom...2017.

Speaking of Wrestle Kingdom, who do you see main eventing that show in January 2016? Will we see the conclusion to the Okada redemption story at that time? Will AJ hold the belt until WK10 and then be taken down by Okada, who will have earned the respect of Tanahashi by defeating AJ on the biggest stage New Japan has?

I highly doubt Ibushi wins the IWGP belt anytime soon. Eventually, but not now. And I think Okada needs to be the one to take it from AJ, but I don't know that it'll be at the Dome. I thought they might go that way this year, but they went back to Okada and Tanahashi. The only problem is that it would require Okada winning the G1 AGAIN.

Top Bottom