• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The God-King Reigns, Baby

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

RP912

Banned
New Japan watchers: do you think there is any chance at all of Kota Ibushi defeating AJ Styles for the IWGP Championship? I'm leaning towards "No" since AJ just won it from Tanahashi, but they could also be setting Ibushi up for a monumental win over a gaijin wrestler. Or maybe they'll hold off on crowning him until a major event like Wrestle Kingdom...2017.

Speaking of Wrestle Kingdom, who do you see main eventing that show in January 2016? Will we see the conclusion to the Okada redemption story at that time? Will AJ hold the belt until WK10 and then be taken down by Okada, who will have earned the respect of Tanahashi by defeating AJ on the biggest stage New Japan has?

I doubt Kota is going to defeat AJ Styles at Invasion Attack. It's going to be MOTY though, but it's too soon for Kota to win the big one. As far as WK is concern, I want Shibata/Styles to headline the event.

That would be glorious.

New Japan watchers: do you think there is any chance at all of Kota Ibushi defeating AJ Styles for the IWGP Championship? I'm leaning towards "No" since AJ just won it from Tanahashi, but they could also be setting Ibushi up for a monumental win over a gaijin wrestler. Or maybe they'll hold off on crowning him until a major event like Wrestle Kingdom...2017.

Speaking of Wrestle Kingdom, who do you see main eventing that show in January 2016? Will we see the conclusion to the Okada redemption story at that time? Will AJ hold the belt until WK10 and then be taken down by Okada, who will have earned the respect of Tanahashi by defeating AJ on the biggest stage New Japan has?

Think it's too soon for Ibushi

Alucard

Banned
Evolve show looks pretty nice. Might check it out.

I highly doubt Ibushi wins the IWGP belt anytime soon. Eventually, but not now. And I think Okada needs to be the one to take it from AJ, but I don't know that it'll be at the Dome. I thought they might go that way this year, but they went back to Okada and Tanahashi. The only problem is that it would require Okada winning the G1 AGAIN.

How many times has he won it? Once or twice? I guess winning it a third time would feel excessive (if that's the case), but it would also be something different if he wins it and then finally breaks through. Where else could Okada win the belt that would feel like a big deal?

joelseph

Being unaware of JBL's past storylines I was shocked by the stuff he was doing against Jericho. Threatening his family, hanging with the wire, all kinds of gruesome stuff.

Fox318

When did Justin Gabriel get let go of?

He waked out around TLC I think.

He got sick of the house schedule and the fact that the company forgot about him. I think he missed a PPV to go skydiving or something and nobody called him.

Then he just left.

Alucard

Banned
I doubt Kota is going to defeat AJ Styles at Invasion Attack. It's going to be MOTY though, but it's too soon for Kota to win the big one. As far as WK is concern, I want Shibata/Styles to headline the event.

That would be glorious.

I agree that it's too soon for Ibushi. I was actually expecting him to challenge Nakamura again and maybe win the IC title from him this time around.

Shibata main eventing Wrestle Kingdom just isn't going to happen. He's one of my favourites too, but based on his positioning, I don't think New Japan sees him as the guy.

Kaladin

He waked out around TLC I think.

He got sick of the house schedule and the fact that the company forgot about him. I think he missed a PPV to go skydiving or something and nobody called him.

Then he just left.

Can't blame the guy, the company did forget about him.

Heel

That dirt sheet report indicates the Reigns/Rollins feud is going to be for the belt. Brock-GAF, it's time to accept what's going to happen on Sunday.

Hm, yeah, they had the perfect opportunity to not announce the signing, have him come out and squash Reigns and say "I'm not going anywhere. Get used to it."

Maybe they had to do the ESPN thing to drum up some attention for Mania, but I smell a carny swerve for a Reigns win.

Or maybe I worked myself into a shoot like a jabronie mark. Goodnight,Hulkamaniacs.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched some old attitude era rock videos. Is there anyone that came close to this dude? Technically he wasn't great, but he had no ego and sold the shit out of anything. His mic skills were untouchable.

Raw64life

I believe Justin Gabriel was at one penciled in for a Rumble spot and then when he was removed from the match he said fuck it and quit.

Think it's too soon for Ibushi

Definitely. No chance he wins, although he's been on fire lately. I remember hearing that Ibushi was one of the Japanese guys WWE was looking at before they decided to go with Kenta. I think they made the wrong decision as Ibushi would definitely fit WWE more than Kenta does. Although it's our gain because Ibushi wouldn't be able to put on the matches he has been in the E.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, while patriotism certainly always enhances real sport feels, it's mostly the pace of the fights and the fact it's all stand-up, unlike MMA.

Real fight talk: I love Glory, absolutely love the fighting, the pace, the fact Dutch people are awesome at it.

Love it.

Hm, yeah, they had the perfect opportunity to not announce the signing, have him come out and squash Reigns and say "I'm not going anywhere. Get used to it."

Maybe they had to do the ESPN thing to drum up some attention for Mania, but I smell a carny swerve for a Reigns win.

Or maybe I worked myself into a shoot like a jabronie mark. Goodnight,Hulkamaniacs.

ESPN publicity is good for the Network, helps financially and also is a backhanded Fuck You to Dana White by proxy. It's worth more than a "surprise!" moment is, financially.

DMczaf

Meltzer was saying on the latest Observer Radio this morning that Brock got a hefty raise, and maybe with the same amount of dates (he's trying to confirm the dates).

Also, UFC offered more than WWE; however, that might have been after he already signed with WWE.

Brock played the game corrent.

Alucard

Banned
Another question for Japanese wrestling fans.

Is the heavy tag team booking a Japanese wrestling approach, or just a New Japan approach? I mean, it certainly makes the singles matches feel more special when they come around, and a lot of the matches are really damn fun, but the problem is they can so often feel inconsequential and random. Mind you, I'm excited to (hopefully) watch the Road to Invasion Attack show that happened on the 23rd.

Tanaka, Komatsu, and Dorada vs. Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson, and Kenny Omega sounds rad.

Doesn't look like that show will be on New Japan World, though. Boo.

RP912

Banned
I agree that it's too soon for Ibushi. I was actually expecting him to challenge Nakamura again and maybe win the IC title from him this time around.

Shibata main eventing Wrestle Kingdom just isn't going to happen. He's one of my favourites too, but based on his positioning, I don't think New Japan sees him as the guy.

I don't understand it though...dude is like the closest thing to Inoki. He has the build, wrestling style, and has longevity in the company. Dude embodies strong style, but to each it's own. I rather see him in the main event spot than another "cena/orton" aka Tanashi/Okada.

bjork

Just watched some old attitude era rock videos. Is there anyone that came close to this dude? Technically he wasn't great, but he had no ego and sold the shit out of anything. His mic skills were untouchable.

I would rather watch Roman promos than hear Rock say the same thing every time. Rock was Road Dogg without the braids.

Is the heavy tag team booking a Japanese wrestling approach, or just a New Japan approach? I mean, it certainly makes the singles matches feel more special when they come around, and a lot of the matches are really damn fun, but the problem is they can so often feel inconsequential and random. Mind you, I'm excited to (hopefully) watch the Road to Invasion Attack show that happened on the 23rd.

Tanaka, Komatsu, and Dorada vs. Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson, and Kenny Omega sounds rad.

Doesn't look like that show will be on New Japan World, though. Boo.

From what I've seen of NOAH and Dragon Gate, opening shows with tag matches seems to be generally a japan wrestling thing, not just njpw

not 100% on that though

Fox318

Has anyone made a sign from that tweet?

Alucard

Banned
I don't understand it though...dude is like the closest thing to Inoki. He has the build, wrestling style, and has longevity in the company. Dude embodies strong style, but to each it's own. I rather see him in the main event spot than another "cena/orton" aka Tanashi/Okada.

I'm totally on board with you, but based on how he's been used over the past 4 months, I don't see him hitting that upper echelon any time soon. Who knows? Maybe the G1 Climax will provide a surprise or two, and one of them might be Shibata climbing the ranks a bit.

Toki767

Meltzer was saying on the latest Observer Radio this morning that Brock got a hefty raise, and maybe with the same amount of dates (he's trying to confirm the dates).

Also, UFC offered more than WWE; however, that might have been after he already signed with WWE.

Brock said that himself. Like he was telling Lorenzo and Dana how he was signing with WWE and they were saying how they'd double it or something.

I remember my mom going full mark and absolutely hating JBL for kicking those undocumented immigrants in that program with Eddie.

I was at that show, crowd didn't care and that was a city fairly close to the border. It didn't help that they took Eddie off the card for a run in at the end.

RP912

Banned
Tag team matches are fun and I don't mind the randomness of it in NJPW. However, some of the tag team matches feel like a waste of time and oddly predictable.

Fox318

He probably could have told Vince he wants one fight then he comes back to WWE.

Heel

ESPN publicity is good for the Network, helps financially and also is a backhanded Fuck You to Dana White by proxy. It's worth more than a "surprise!" moment is, financially.

Which sucks, because imagine if they could value that secret over the promotion of the event. Blow through Reigns and cut the most chilling promo in history. Snapping the streak wouldn't have shit on that.

DMczaf

He probably could have told Vince he wants one fight then he comes back to WWE.

I think he really was done with fighting. If he REALLY wanted to do it, he would have done it. The offers were more or less there, but he didn't want it anymore

#EvolvedCaveman #SmartBrock #FamilyMan

RP912

Banned
I'm totally on board with you, but based on how he's been used over the past 4 months, I don't see him hitting that upper echelon any time soon. Who knows? Maybe the G1 Climax will provide a surprise or two, and one of them might be Shibata climbing the ranks a bit.

Yea I see something happening around that time for Shibata. If not, most definitely Yano lol.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Which sucks, because imagine if they could value that secret over the promotion of the event. Blow through Reigns and cut the most chilling promo in history. Snapping the streak wouldn't have shit on that.

It's a shame, it would have been incredible. Sadly, money talks.

Fox318

I think that's why only Beedle did the interview. Most of the people at ESPN probably don't want to deal with somebody as carny as Vince and Coach probably told them everything he knows from wrestlers court and knowing Vince.

RP912

Banned
I swear it really don't even feel like the Mack Daddy of them all is around the corner. Last year's mania at least had some hype surrounding it with the network launching and Bryne going against the grain, but this mania.....man....smh...

Taker didn't even show up last Monday but he's suppose to have a match with Bray...wtf?

Toki767

I think that's why only Beedle did the interview. Most of the people at ESPN probably don't want to deal with somebody as carny as Vince and Coach probably told them everything he knows from wrestlers court and knowing Vince.

Basically. Beadle did the interview because she was a fan. Everyone else at ESPN probably thinks it ruins their credibility doing anything WWE related.

Is the heavy tag team booking a Japanese wrestling approach, or just a New Japan approach? I mean, it certainly makes the singles matches feel more special when they come around, and a lot of the matches are really damn fun, but the problem is they can so often feel inconsequential and random.

Take a look at some of the recent results on purolove;

http://purolove.com/

Most promotions use this sort of booking, it's just the Japanese style - while WWE and a lot of indies try and book their shows with a "peaks & valleys" approach, where there's high points throughout the show, most Japanese promotions prefer to adhere to an undercard/midcard/uppercard structure, where the show builds and builds towards the main event. Also, while some of the tag matches are random in order to get more guys on the card, there is usually a hook there - be it a young lion trying to mix it up with his betters, or because there's a growing feud between the participants, or to directly build towards an upcoming singles match.

Shibata might embody strong style, but New Japan doesn't these days - the current product is a far stretch from Inoki's strong style vision, because the audience is vastly different. One of the key things to Okada's success has been how popular he is with children, whereas Shibata doesn't have that same appeal. That's not to say he won't ever win the title, there are certainly less obstacles in his way than a year ago - it's not clear if he's signed a contract, but he's working full tours again for the first time since 2004, which is a good sign.

Gotta pay to see the Deadman - I actually dug that a lot. Taker's body is shot - the big deal is the entrance, not the actual match now, and you don't want to give that away for free.

Sephzilla

Basically. Beadle did the interview because she was a fan. Everyone else at ESPN probably thinks it ruins their credibility doing anything WWE related.

They aren't worried about credibility

First-Take-stephen-a-smith-skip-bayless-21.jpg

I find this show entertaining as fuck, for the record. Two idiots acting like they're sports geniuses is hilarious

scabro

"Brock Lesnar retires from MMA" seemed to be the headline they were going with during the interview so im sure they weren't thrilled they were basically advertising professional wrestling.

RP912

Banned
Shibata might embody strong style, but New Japan doesn't these days - the current product is a far stretch from Inoki's strong style vision, because the audience is vastly different. One of the key things to Okada's success has been how popular he is with children, whereas Shibata doesn't have that same appeal. That's not to say he won't ever win the title, there are certainly less obstacles in his way than a year ago - it's not clear if he's signed a contract, but he's working full tours again for the first time since 2004, which is a good sign.

True...I know NJPW is far from the Inoki days and gearing towards a WWE type of mentality when it comes down to their top guys. It would be nice because out of all the wrestlers on the roster, he's the one that honestly got me into puro style of wrestling. At the end of the day, at long as he still kicking dudes heads off...he's still on my top five.

Fox318

They aren't worried about credibility

First-Take-stephen-a-smith-skip-bayless-21.jpg

I find this show entertaining as fuck, for the record

Ever notice how most anchors stay away from that show?

Same could be said about WWE. I'm sure the people in Bristol know enough about what really goes down at Stamford.

Heel

It's funny, the sports world seems to hate Skip, but I can only admire his heel work. Dude is an absolute master.

skip1.png

Top Bottom