• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The God-King Reigns, Baby

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Toki767

They aren't worried about credibility

Fun story. Was at the gym a month ago and ESPN was on. They were talking about some pitcher who could pitch with both his arms. The person reporting called him amphibious. It took a couple minutes for someone to correct him and say ambidextrous.

Sports journalism.

Cagey

Banned
Skip serves up the hottest of sports takes.

We should serve up some hot takes on the latest developments in the world of professional wrestling.

scabro

It's funny, the sports world seems to hate Skip, but I can only admire his heel work. Dude is an absolute master.

skip1.png

hes fantastic

New Japan watchers: do you think there is any chance at all of Kota Ibushi defeating AJ Styles for the IWGP Championship? I'm leaning towards "No" since AJ just won it from Tanahashi, but they could also be setting Ibushi up for a monumental win over a gaijin wrestler. Or maybe they'll hold off on crowning him until a major event like Wrestle Kingdom...2017.

Speaking of Wrestle Kingdom, who do you see main eventing that show in January 2016? Will we see the conclusion to the Okada redemption story at that time? Will AJ hold the belt until WK10 and then be taken down by Okada, who will have earned the respect of Tanahashi by defeating AJ on the biggest stage New Japan has?

I think there's like a 5% chance Ibushi wins over Styles. Supposedly Sumo Hall was almost sold out before the New Japan Cup final so business is very hot right now and they won't want to change the belts yet. Dominion at the Jo Hall in Osaka is the next big show and I think Okada takes the title from AJ then.

New Japan will probably not run Tana - Okada for two straight years so I expect something like Okada - Ibushi for the title as the main and then Styles vs Tana or Nakamura as the 2nd main.

Fox318

Skip pretty much is the sports talk Vince McMahon.

QoFRn88.jpg

Same shit with hating his dad, hating sleep, working out crazy hard at an older age.

Sephzilla

Skip pretty much is the sports talk Vince McMahon.

QoFRn88.jpg

Same shit with hating his dad, hating sleep, working out crazy hard at an older age.

The only difference between Vince and Skip is that Skip strikes me as the type of guy who's probably a totally decent guy to talk to when he's not on camera being paid to troll.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The only difference between Vince and Skip is that Skip strikes me as the type of guy who's probably a totally decent guy to talk to when he's not on camera being paid to troll.

There's a topic about this on another forum. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Vince is a great guy to a lot of people.

Who took care of Freddy Blassie, paid for his hospital bills all the way? Vince McMahon did.

Who paid for Paul Bearer's life saving gastric bypass surgery when Paul had no insurance to cover it? Vince McMahon did.

Who gave Eddie Guerrero's widow a job? Vince McMahon did.

Who paid for Bam Bam Bigelow's funeral? Vince McMahon did.

http://officialfan.proboards.com/thread/241054

Much more at the link.

jred2k

I wonder if Brock can make up some of the money he left on the table with UFC through sponsorships. I don't know much about the UFC deal with Reebok, but wouldn't he have had to give up his clothing sponsors?

Shibata might embody strong style, but New Japan doesn't these days - the current product is a far stretch from Inoki's strong style vision, because the audience is vastly different. One of the key things to Okada's success has been how popular he is with children, whereas Shibata doesn't have that same appeal. That's not to say he won't ever win the title, there are certainly less obstacles in his way than a year ago - it's not clear if he's signed a contract, but he's working full tours again for the first time since 2004, which is a good sign.

I think Shibata is being held back based on all the heat on him for leaving the company way back when. Supposedly Tanahashi has always been very much against him being in the company. Having him in the upper-mid card is one thing but putting the belt on him is another.

Vince promised his dad to take care of the old guard and he did. He loved Blassie and helped out everyone but Albano, who burned a bridge on a weekly basis, but was still beloved by the company for just being a crazy character. There is an AMAZING Observer Radio with Paul Heyman telling Albano stories right after he passed away.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of the instances where I'm very happy to be proven wrong

Honestly I think even though it is WWE covering their own ass, the extent of how long they offer rehab to ex-wrestlers (forever) is amazing and very generous. It'd be easy for them to have a cut-off point, but they're invested in their people for life.

bjork

Dan Ryckert told a story about how he went to some show and when Vince came down the aisle, Dan was yelling "I'm going to work for you!" over and over. Vince blew him off and went about his business.

So Vince is a good man, because could you imagine Dan in WWE? Sheesh.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dan Ryckert told a story about how he went to some show and when Vince came down the aisle, Dan was yelling "I'm going to work for you!" over and over. Vince blew him off and went about his business.

I wonder what this Dan guy expected.

Hasney

Christ, I could not imagine Dan in WWE.

Mostly because I have no idea who he is, but I'm sure there are other factors at play too.

Honestly I think even though it is WWE covering their own ass, the extent of how long they offer rehab to ex-wrestlers (forever) is amazing and very generous. It'd be easy for them to have a cut-off point, but they're invested in their people for life.

Selectively. If they'd been dedicated to everyone, then they'd have covered Sherri's back surgery and she wouldn't have been self-medicating with pills and alcohol that eventually took her life. WWE is a lot better with that stuff now, but still nowhere near as good as they could be. The fact that the roster is still classified as independent contractors instead of employees shows that they're in no hurry to do more than the minimum when it comes to looking like responsible corporate citizens.

I think this is it:

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/...bserver?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Aaaand now I have something to make my work day go by faster.

Yup - that's it.

BEHOLD - The greatness of Dalton Castle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8vnXFeT3os

Gonzalez

Banned
Skip serves up the hottest of sports takes.

We should serve up some hot takes on the latest developments in the world of professional wrestling.

Daniel Bryan is the biggest post-Wrestlemania failure in history.

Don't eat it too fast, you'll burn the roof of your mouth.

HEY PHIL

Alucard

Banned
I think some of you have already heard about this on the LAW or read about it elsewhere, but apparently Triple H's Wrestlemania entrance will be
Terminator
-themed. Also, Sting's entrance will somehow utilize
people dressed as scarecrows.

Not totally sure how I feel about either one, but I'm intrigued. Both could be cool or just awkward/strange.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
For those, like me, who lapsed as WWE fans in the 00s, (me: from ~2003 to ~2011), what were some of the things that you found entirely ridiculous or stupid or unthinkably dumb when you'd catch 5 minutes of a show that one time flipping through channels?

Some that stand out:
- Rapper Cena
- Bradshaw becoming JBL, Republican oil tycoon guy, and being a champion
- Booker T being considered important
- Carlito, like everything about this doofus, particularly the apple shit
- The male cheerleaders
- CM Punk as a "straight edge" good guy in the new ECW

The fact that Vince thought guys packaged as 1950s greasers would get over with fans.

Heel

For those, like me, who lapsed as WWE fans in the 00s, (me: from ~2003 to ~2011), what were some of the things that you found entirely ridiculous or stupid or unthinkably dumb when you'd catch 5 minutes of a show that one time flipping through channels?

Some that stand out:
- Rapper Cena
- Bradshaw becoming JBL, Republican oil tycoon guy, and being a champion
- Booker T being considered important
- Carlito, like everything about this doofus, particularly the apple shit
- The male cheerleaders
- CM Punk as a "straight edge" good guy in the new ECW

Edge from The Brood became champion. Why wasn't it Gangrel?

Alucard

Banned
Good guy Samoa Joe at an ROH autograph signing.

rjh9451.jpg

And some details about the ROH autograph signing happening this Friday before Supercard of Honor IX:

Friday Ring of Honor invades the Bay Area for our annual Supercard of Honor IX. Prior to the beginning of the event there will be an autograph signing and we can now confirm who will take part ….

The Briscoes - ROH World Champion, Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe
ROH World TV Champion, Jay Lethal
ROH World Tag Team Champions, reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly
“Samoan Submission Machine” Samoa Joe
New Japan’s Legendary Jushin “Thunder” Liger
“First Lady of ROH” Maria Kanellis
#Reborn Matt Sydal
“Zombie Princess” Jimmy Jacobs
“Unbreakable” Michael Elgin
The Addition (Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian)

Pricing is as follows ...

$20 for single wrestlers - you will receive one autographed item or a posed photo

$30 for tag teams (Briscoes, reDRagon, Addiction) - you will receive one autographed item or a posed photo

$30 for single wrestlers - you will receive one autographed item and a posed photo

$40 for tag teams (Briscoes, reDRagon, Addiction) - you will receive one autographed item and a posed photo

Doors open at 6pm and the autograph signing will run from 6pm to 7:30pm.

I think some of you have already heard about this on the LAW or read about it elsewhere, but apparently Triple H's Wrestlemania entrance will be
Terminator
-themed. Also, Sting's entrance will somehow utilize
people dressed as scarecrows.

Not totally sure how I feel about either one, but I'm intrigued. Both could be cool or just awkward/strange.
I hope this means Triple H walks to the ring completely nude. Just like the Terminator.

Alucard

Banned
Kayfabe message from the new faction in ROH, the KRD. They are anti-smarks according to this message.

image_3.jpg

The infrastructure of Ring of Honor is misinformed. There are men in positions of power, men who have been called "icons" and "pioneers" of this company who have perpetuated the idea that "internet popularity" and "ROH loyalty" are more important to success than talent and drive.

If Ring of Honor is truly committed to the sport of professional wrestling, they should stop the biased treatment given to these athletes and in turn, they must stop discriminating against those athletes who have sacrificed all to succeed in their chosen profession, even to the displeasure of those fans who embrace mediocrity.

Past Targets... Hanson, ACH, Matt Sydal, etcetera. Internet darlings given preferential treatment and more opportunities while others have been held back and OUT of Ring of Honor.

Future Targets... Champions. Chosen men given preferential treatment while others have been held back and OUT of Ring of Honor.

Restated... the champions who reign in Ring of Honor have proven the competition to be inferior.

These men are not unbeatable.

Supercard of Honor

We will make the change needed.

KRD

Looks like we'll get the reveal at Supercard of Honor.

Carnby

I just discovered a research scientist at my job is a WWE fan. I spent a half hour talking about wrestling with him. It was fun.

Top Bottom