• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The God-King Reigns, Baby

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Fox318

So Vince is aware of NXT now.

Welp. It's been fun.

06c251acf6e3c83101490ad646222b77.png

"THE CROWD WAS CHANTING CORBIN REIGNS, GET PAT OVER HERE AND HAVE HIM BOOK IT FOR SUNDAY DAMN IT"

iMax

Stephanie McMahon is one of the stupidest human beings in existence. Going on Twitter and all but saying "We do charity work because it makes us look good and helps us get ahead."

She's smarter than the people that think this isn't the reason corporations do charity work.

Fox318

Watching clips of the NXT show from last night and its refreshing to not have some sort of Authority or Executive in the show.

Just somebody who wanted to put the talent together and make his promotion the best.

I also think the products protected status with taping and letting some guys grow into their own has helped train the audience.

I hope we get past "what" chants and "you fucked up chants" for talent just starting but the audience isn't completely protesting the program. They came to watch some wrestling and to have some fun. In a way that sort of audience involvement has kinda backfired with the booking of Roman Reigns but on NXT it has worked. Nobody is thinking about somebody getting a push or burial because of the physical limitations or their pull within the company. They are watching something that doesn't have somebody like a HHH not wanting Kurt Angle to have a main event career because he is short.

The brand split idea and WCW as a separate product may not have failed because they were bad ideas but rather because somebody like a Kevin Dunn or Micheal Hayes was in Vince's ear telling him it wasn't going to work. You can't really do that with HHH. He already is better at talent management than a Johnny Ace and actually has brought in guys that lasted compared to Ace.

I know Vince will never write an Autobiography but I think we might get one from Paul Levesque one day.

Also, someone climbed the Elimination Chamber at Axxess, and got arrested.

Didnt someone get kicked out a few years ago for giving someone the Razors Edge inside the Hell in a Cell they had set up?

Not gonna lie I would be tempted to do some dumb stuff if I was there but I would think I have the common sense to go "maybe I shouldnt try do the lionsault"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's crazy to think that NXT is probably already the second biggest touring group in the US now, and if not now, will be in the near future. It can't be that far behind ROH.

Dante

Mad jealous of you and everyone else in the thread who got to go.

What was your fav match and how got the biggest reactions?

My favorite match was Charolette vs Banks, these two stole the show again. Incredible.

Loudest in ring pop was Itami hitting the GTS, place went completely bonkers for it.

Loudest out of ring pop was Enzo and Cass, I swear everybody in that arena recited their entire schtick and hand gestures, it was a sight to see as I know some critics thought that this routine was only over at the performance center.

There really wasn't a bad seat in this entire arena, it was such a great experience.

Fox318

It's crazy to think that NXT is probably already the second biggest touring group in the US now, and if not now, will be in the near future. It can't be that far behind ROH.

It goes to show that if you are going to do a promotion you either need to construct your own stage or have proper lighting and a decent presentation budget.

Does Sinclair really care about ROH?

I think it goes to show that while people may sound like they're looking for an alternative, what they really want is an alternative that's still under the WWE banner. Vince has a hold of everyone by the short & curlies.

Dante

Watching clips of the NXT show from last night and its refreshing to not have some sort of Authority or Executive in the show.

Just somebody who wanted to put the talent together and make his promotion the best.

I also think the products protected status with taping and letting some guys grow into their own has helped train the audience.

I hope we get past "what" chants and "you fucked up chants" for talent just starting but the audience isn't completely protesting the program. They came to watch some wrestling and to have some fun. In a way that sort of audience involvement has kinda backfired with the booking of Roman Reigns but on NXT it has worked. Nobody is thinking about somebody getting a push or burial because of the physical limitations or their pull within the company. They are watching something that doesn't have somebody like a HHH not wanting Kurt Angle to have a main event career because he is short.

The brand split idea and WCW as a separate product may not have failed because they were bad ideas but rather because somebody like a Kevin Dunn or Micheal Hayes was in Vince's ear telling him it wasn't going to work. You can't really do that with HHH. He already is better at talent management than a Johnny Ace and actually has brought in guys that lasted compared to Ace.

I know Vince will never write an Autobiography but I think we might get one from Paul Levesque one day.

People were doing this to Owens last night and he schooled them pretty good, not sure if there's clips of hi and Sammy's back and forth online yet, but it's worth checking out.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think it goes to show that while people may sound like they're looking for an alternative, what they really want is an alternative that's still under the WWE banner. Vince has a hold of everyone by the short & curlies.

To be fair, WWE has at least 75% of the world's best wrestlers under contract, that is probably a big factor in this.

Plus, production values matter, even when people will pretend it doesn't, good presentation, lighting and sound helps a lot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Production values and budget was the one thing that always kept TNA above the rest. Now that those are gone it is what it is.

Big One

Banned
Even if NXT wasn't a WWE product it'd be one of the best promotions in the world today quality-wise, so it doesn't surprise me how fast it's growing and basically getting into buildings that can damn near carry a RAW program.

NXT is a promotion that uses simple booking to appeal to the fans of the current generation. It's really that simple.

Cagey

Banned
Its an entertainment product. The presentation matters a lot. Also helps shape and enhance the perceived importance of what you're watching. Data raised this with Okada and Co in the ROH ballrooms versus the big stages in Japan.l making them look less than.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Even at the height of ROH though it never looked anywhere near as good as NXT does and at one point they did have a comparable roster.

To be fair, WWE has at least 75% of the world's best wrestlers under contract, that is probably a big factor in this.

They have some great talent, including many who have been just as great for years in other promotions, but to the majority of the audience it doesn't matter in the slightest until they're in a WWE ring. Just like other products don't matter because they aren't under the WWE banner.

I'm not dismissing the value of top level production, but if ECW could become a success with a DIY ethos and shitty production, then there's no reason it can't happen again except for the wilful ignorance of most modern WWE fans.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If wrestling suddenly became as hot as it was in the late 90's then a promotion with ECW level production and talent would probably do about as well as they did.

ROH in many ways is ECW for the modern era. Obviously not in the ethos of the company but used as a minor league proving ground, making repeated awful decisions when it comes to television deals, awful management. There's just a lot less money to go around.

Fox318

I think WWE does a ton of stuff right as far as stadium booking, talent(with the exception of Miz, Kane, and Big Show), lighting, and having standards in presentation.

Lucha Underground is great but I think people still want a touring company or a live company.

If wrestling suddenly became as hot as it was in the late 90's then a promotion with ECW level production and talent would probably do about as well as they did.

ROH in many ways is ECW for the modern era. Obviously not in the ethos of the company but used as a minor league proving ground, making repeated awful decisions when it comes to television deals, awful management. There's just a lot less money to go around.

I think boots point is that wrestling fans are loyal to a fault . The scream,and cry about raw but refuse to look for alternatives. NXT is basically wwe providing it's own alterntive so,people,care. people want to like wwe so nxt allows them to

I'd watch something else if it was available - WWE is the most easily accessible promotion to watch in the UK (if you have Sky). I should probably watch TNA, but I keep forgetting about it. Sadly, there's not really a lot of wrestling shows up here in the North-East, we get one about every 4 months (which I try to go to).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
LU from what little I've seen is the right way to do a studio wrestling show. NXT also does it right but it's clear that they go wrestling first, tv show second whereas LU is TV first and foremost.

You'd think TNA which has now been a TV first product for 5 years would have figured their shit out but nope.

klonere

Banned
They have some great talent, including many who have been just as great for years in other promotions, but to the majority of the audience it doesn't matter in the slightest until they're in a WWE ring. Just like other products don't matter because they aren't under the WWE banner.

I'm not dismissing the value of top level production, but if ECW could become a success with a DIY ethos and shitty production, then there's no reason it can't happen again except for the wilful ignorance of most modern WWE fans.

I don't know shit about ROH but didn't ECW got such a following because it was Attitude era stuff before Vince took that idea, the low production values aesthetic working well with the style they were going for and the scarcity of its programming in the 90s making it far more coveted as a product?

Doesn't ROH try and present a very serious, "this is about the wrestling" type product? Which in turn probably needs a higher level of production and care take to make it feel "right" on that level than batshit crazy motherfuckers hitting each other with chairs in a warehouse in Philly. Also didn't ECW fail to make real money, ever?

I'm DEFINITELY not defending WWE fans here

klonere

Banned
Do you think LU will do a Series/Season 1 DVD given the studio nature of the show? I've stopped watching shitty Dailymotion rips of the show cos it deserves better. A DVD would be the best way for me to get it in Ireland.

Top Bottom