• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The God-King Reigns, Baby

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Kaiterra

Banned
The main event was on its way to being the best Wrestlemania main event of all time before Rollins interjected himself.

I'm not saying it wasn't good or Roman was a dead fish out there (though he was doing a fun job of PLAYING one!) but... What? By what standard?

Seth's cash-in was perfectly timed and saved the match from being a bomb at the pace it was going. There was no real excitement to be had in Roman headbutting his way from death back to victory because he as a character did not have the emotional cache needed to back up that story. He'd never been positioned as an underdog even once until this match, with the only real adversity he's had to overcome being US NOT LIKING HIM, and making the fans the antagonist doesn't seem like a great way to build sympathy.

I suspect that much was perhaps not entirely intentional, but pretty much a given with the fact that Rollins must have been penciled in to go over from the very beginning, leading Reigns to be treated as an afterthought in a lot of ways including character development in the build up to the show. It's too easy to look back and connect the dots that clearly point out that this was never really Roman's story, even if they weren't apparent at the time.

The more I think about it, I don't know if I'm okay with Seth cashing in MITB in the middle of the match.

That has never been okay before, right? You always had to do it before, or after a championship match, not during. Clearly other MITB briefcase holders and even Seth himself would have other opportunities if they could run down and add themselves to a match.

They've never said you couldn't do it, so I have no issue with it. It's like that time the New Age Outlaws were in a triple threat tag match so they both tagged in and one pinned the other. No one said they couldn't.

Kaladin

It's basically a cheat so Seth can get the belt without either guy beating Brock

Seth is going to have to eventually.....and Brock isn't above Extreme Rules.

They've never said you couldn't do it, so I have no issue with it. It's like that time the New Age Outlaws were in a triple threat tag match so they both tagged in and one pinned the other. No one said they couldn't.

I guess you're right.

Thinking of it that way also plays into Seth Rollin's architect gimmick....and he is turning into a smart heel.

Paracelsus

The more I think about it, I don't know if I'm okay with Seth cashing in MITB in the middle of the match.

That has never been okay before, right? You always had to do it before, or after a championship match, not during. Clearly other MITB briefcase holders and even Seth himself would have other opportunities if they could run down and add themselves to a match.

The rule states "at any time", even though they kinda made some confusion in the past. Like, to cash in to get the match started, the champion must be standing, but Big Show was dead when Bryan pinned him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So wait... How does the avatar bet go now?
The rule states "at any time", even though they kinda made some confusion in the past. Like, to cash in to get the match started, the champion must be standing, but Big Show was dead when Bryan pinned him.

The issue I have from reading the results is the fact that Seth pinned Roman and won the title. So, why wouldn't a Seth Rollins get the Authority to set up Brock vs Jamie Noble for the title and then have Rollins run out, Noble lays down, and Rollins gets the title? You see what I mean when I say this sounds like an 8 year old wrote it?

Paracelsus

So wait... How does the avatar bet go now?

The issue I have from reading the results is the fact that Seth pinned Roman and won the title. So, why wouldn't a Seth Rollins get the Authority to set up Brock vs Jamie Noble for the title and then have Rollins run out, Noble lays down, and Rollins gets the title? You see what I mean when I say this sounds like an 8 year old wrote it?

https://youtu.be/-1vOoV0peZM?t=365

It would take a crooked ref for a massively fast count, and then there's the whole Brock rage. Too much overbooking.

Kaladin

Heh, for a Wrestlemania that featured NXT stars so heavily, the only NXT alumni to win (Cesaro and Kidd don't count, they're on NXT but not originals) is Seth Rollins when he won the belt. Bryan won the IC title, but he was from the earlier incarnation of NXT.

Also, if they explain it right, I'm totally okay with Seth Rollins winning the belt from Brock in this manner. He practically stole it from him...even more so than other MITB winners stole their belts. It fits his character.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I had my lawyers look over the fine print in Sunny's contract
tumblr_mn6vzxid5j1rg89a6o1_400.jpg

*In the event that Seth Rollins cashes in and wins MITB, all participants must switch their avatar to Wrestle-1 sensation, Hama.
iVkt9i4.png

I'll be excited to see Brock and Rollins recreate Vader/Sting. I'd watch RAW for that.

Kaiterra

Banned
Heh, for a Wrestlemania that featured NXT stars so heavily, the only NXT alumni to win (Cesaro and Kidd don't count, they're on NXT but not originals) is Seth Rollins when he won the belt. Bryan won the IC title, but he was from the earlier incarnation of NXT.

Also, if they explain it right, I'm totally okay with Seth Rollins winning the belt from Brock in this manner. He practically stole it from him...even more so than other MITB winners stole their belts. It fits his character.

Seth ducking Brock is gonna be fun as hell. It's like the perfect foil for Brock, an obstacle he can't just bash and slam his way through.

Xater

Looks like they couldn't think of a finish that made Brock and Roman look strong, so Seth was the solution. Kinda lame. The booking of the final match was pretty atrocious. Roman's comeback was some overcoming the odds bullshit. Overall I also think this was a fairly average Wrestlemania. The best shit happened in the first two matches.

I'm not saying it wasn't good or Roman was a dead fish out there (though he was doing a fun job of PLAYING one!) but... What? By what standard?

The standard that there really wasn't anything close to great 'til Austin/Rock at 17 (sorry, Hart/HBK is boring and Hogan/Warrior looks dumb when viewed in 2015 eyes), the fact I look at most of the whole HBK/'Taker/HHH string of matches as bloated messes (but even then, they didn't main event the show except for one.)

But yeah, I'd put it as #5 right now of matches that actually closed the show, behind the Wrestlemania XX three-way, Austin/Rock at 17, Cena/HBK, and the Wrestlemania XXX three way.

Kaladin

Seth ducking Brock is gonna be fun as hell. It's like the perfect foil for Brock, an obstacle he can't just bash and slam his way through.

Yeah, and he needs something like that, cause when he gets someone in the ring....

Well, he made Roman Reigns his bitch last night.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
THE MAN PAYS HOMAGE. PAYS THE SACRIFICE TO THE GOD KING.
Vader said:
What guys currently in wrestling he enjoys watching: "I like Brock Lesnar a lot. He's significantly better this time than he was the last time around. He's just perfect. He's the perfect size, the perfect height. He can wrestle anyone big or small. It's not like he's 6'9 like The Undertaker. It's not like where Undertaker and some of the smaller guys, you know you can't match them up. Lesnar, you know, he's 6'4 and he's wrestling CM Punk. CM Punk is not real big and not real tall yet Lesnar and him had a good match. With his height, you know, he's the beast, he's an incredible physical specimen. The fact that he's just the right height, he's tall enough to fight, Kane or The Undertaker or he can go down to wrestlers on the smaller scale and have a great match. I think we'll see great things from him in the next year."
He sums up how I feel about Brock since return pretty well and a lot of what I try to express when I talk about the perfect size for being that kind of monster.

Good luck with the wrasslemanias friends, seriously. I've been shitting on/ignoring the product since before January, but I sincerely hope I wake up to this thread tomorrow to be told Mania was awesome and worth checking out.

which I then will on the streams

Goodnight, Godspeed.

So friends, how was Mania? I heard Rousey took Triple H down, I'm definitely interested in watching that. What else was worth watching?

Also yeah, Freckle's back!

So friends, how was Mania? I heard Rousey took Triple H down, I'm definitely interested in watching that. What else was worth watching?

Awesome show. Lots of fun angles and surprisingly good booking for the most part.

Quote from Meltzer's radio show: "From a creative and booking standpoint, this is the best show WWE has ever done."

T.A.L

Most of the show honestly. Brock was godly, Taker looked good, HHH vs Sting was over the top and awesome even with the cringey beginning. Rusev rode a tank. It's a decent watch. The ending was the most sensible.

Paracelsus

Watch all of it, as soon as it gets to Stephanie and HHH coming out fast-forward, it's half an hour of garbage except for a great cameo appearance.

Nelo Ice

Banned
They were basically stalling for the sun to go down.

So freaking true. That promo was hilarious but it dragged on for way too long with that Rousey payoff being kinda weak. In the back of my head I was like they're seriously stalling for the sun to go down for Taker/Wyatt and the main event.

Was I the only one impressed with Reigns last night? I think I've turned the corner on him, he works hard and, yes, he has obvious deficiencies, but it's WWE's job to disguise the negatives and accentuate the positives and hopefully they're going to do a better job of it going forward. Storytelling wise, I thought the main event was done perfectly and leaves them with a number of good options going forward (yet still I saw people calling for a nonsensical Rollins vs Ambrose feud, when there's 3 perfectly good challengers already set-up). The kick-outs and comeback may have been too much for some, but I think at some point we have to accept that Roman's getting the Superman booking - however, if that can be tempered by Reigns' inexperience, it could make for a good narrative. Take note of how many times they said this was Roman's "first" WrestleMania. Everything was designed to show us that Roman WILL be the guy, but maybe they've eased back on the gung-ho super push that would have saw an entirely different and less agreeable end to what was, overall, a really fun WrestleMania.

Kaiterra

Banned
(yet still I saw people calling for a nonsensical Rollins vs Ambrose feud, when there's 3 perfectly good challengers already set-up)

Wow gross.

I hope you're right about that last part. Roman hasn't been put in position to take the Reigns yet (dohoho) but they've definitely put him in a position to work his way there in a much more organic matter.

Kornflayx

Was I the only one impressed with Reigns last night? I think I've turned the corner on him, he works hard and, yes, he has obvious deficiencies, but it's WWE's job to disguise the negatives and accentuate the positives and hopefully they're going to do a better job of it going forward. Storytelling wise, I thought the main event was done perfectly and leaves them with a number of good options going forward (yet still I saw people calling for a nonsensical Rollins vs Ambrose feud, when there's 3 perfectly good challengers already set-up). The kick-outs and comeback may have been too much for some, but I think at some point we have to accept that Roman's getting the Superman booking - however, if that can be tempered by Reigns' inexperience, it could make for a good narrative. Take note of how many times they said this was Roman's "first" WrestleMania. Everything was designed to show us that Roman WILL be the guy, but maybe they've eased back on the gung-ho super push that would have saw an entirely different and less agreeable end to what was, overall, a really fun WrestleMania.

That Main Event was the goddamn truth. MOTY 2015 for me, and nothing comes close. Reigns finally looking like someone who belongs in the spot he's been given. Brock's selling in the final stretch was fucking fantastic. That Terry Funk stumble around the ring lol. I would've been fine with a clean finish but Rollins didn't drag it down too much.

Vylash

Reigns looked legit last night, some good hard hitting offense that I'd like to see him use regularly

Earlier in the thread I praised him:

I will say that tonight was the first night I saw Reigns as a guy who can be the guy. I'm not fully behind him yet, but I do think he took a big step tonight.

Lingitiz

Roman looked solid, but I've never really disliked his ring work. It's everything around that. The lack of personality, the feeling that anytime he has a live mic he's going to botch...that's where he needs the most improvement.

He has come a long way in the run to Mania and I hope he continues to improve and better define his character. I think they just need to ease off the pedal a little bit and let the crowd organically flock to him again until he's ready, otherwise he'll just continue to get booed.

Recall

Wrestlemania thoughts:

1. Opening ladder match was decent, Stardust and Truth did nothing but overall it was ok. Do want a Ziggler vs Bryan program now please.
  2. Finish to Orton and Rollins was amazing.
  3. Sting vs HHH was nonsical yet totally entertained for that moment, it is not something I need to see again though.
  4. Music Intermission was boring.
  5. Diva match was ok, lying on the floor isn't selling though it's just lying on the floor.
  6. Rusev vs Cena was enjoyable though found the finish to be super counter productive as I felt they cut Rusev off short.
  7. Talking segment ruined the flow of the show and I hated it.
  8. Undertaker vs Bray was far too plodding and laying about, it was exactly what I expected and wish he got more spectacle with Taker's intro.
  9. Main event was intense and I loved it. The blood really added a great layer to the drama and the finish was just fantastic. Excited to see they didn't give Reigns the belt. I felt kicking out of 3 F5's was unnecessary but the match had me as I was super into the overall match.

Decent Wrestlemania hampered by shitty pacing and waaaay too much filler. Main event delivered for I. I also enjoyed the pre show content more than I thought I would too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Has Cena been watching AR Fox matches with that unncessary springboard? Cena pulled it off better than I would have imagined and Rusev sold it well, but it looks completely out of place. I guess that's what I get for looking at illegal jiffs.

Kornflayx

Has Cena been watching AR Fox matches with that unncessary springboard? Cena pulled it off better than I would have imagined and Rusev sold it well, but it looks completely out of place. I guess that's what I get for looking at illegal jiffs.

It was completely out of nowhere. I didn't even know what it was at first. Had to watch the replay. Considering it was Cena, it looked better than expected

Kaladin

It was one of those : OMG, Cena can still do something new moments he pulls out every so often. The bad thing about it is, you might see that move a couple times after Mania, but it won't get added to his move set.

Nelo Ice

Banned

A few guys in my section said that he busted out Jay Lethal's finisher. Never seen it so wouldn't know but we were all wondering did that just happen? lol.

Xater

Awesome show. Lots of fun angles and surprisingly good booking for the most part.

Quote from Meltzer's radio show: "From a creative and booking standpoint, this is the best show WWE has ever done."

Yeah I was shocked when he said that, because I would not agree at all. It was a good show but had lots of problems. The middle of the show was so forgettable.

Top Bottom