• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The God-King Reigns, Baby

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Fox318

I think the problem with the tag belts is that it always feels sooooo scripted. Sometimes I think there is too much thought in them and it takes away from potentially good matches. The break ups of teams are always too drawn out. They really need to focus on some redesign of tag teams and how they work on TV.

That 4 way tag anyone in shit is fucking stupid.

It should have just been Brass Ring Club vs Usos or when the fat uso was injured New Day or even a new tag team.

Amen to all this.

The bolded in particular though. In any other match, Roman Reigns running and jumping at Brock to start the brawl or Seth running and getting caught makes you think "he jumped so that the other guy could catch him". In the match last night, you can honestly believe that Roman or Seth are trying to actually attack Brock with no reservations, but Brock is so freakishly strong and agile and coordinated that he's catching them despite their best efforts to hit him. When Brock is picking dudes up, you can sincerely believe the other guy is resisting and it doesn't matter. It doesn't have a choreographed dance feel.

It has that #largebrawlfeel.

It really helps that Brock matches start out with a series of stiff moves in quick succession, regularly leaving one or both guys bleeding. Because once you've bruised or busted open the guy, even the pulled punches that follow are to what could be sold as an injury.

The wrasslin gods were smiling down on the match last night. Usually when a wrestler suffering a beat down manages to side step or slingshot the other wrestler into the outside ring post, it's always a bit silly that that one moment kills all the momentum... but when the wrestler that hits the post splits open on impact like Brock did... there was no doubt in my mind that he was in serious trouble.

I'm not a fan of blading, but I'm a huge fan of stuff like mixing in a couple of really stiff shots to get some bruises going or blood flowing... or at the very least to give some good slow motion impacts to see.

It's why you always winced when Ric chopped people, because they'd wear that shit for the rest of the match.

Since Brock came back from MMA, this has been a thing (remember him slicing Cena open so bad in that first match back that they had to glue Cena together mid match?), and it makes all of his matches feel different and special. If they were every week, I'd not be a fan, but 5 times a year? It's wonderful.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_niyz386SLy1tyv489o1_500.png

DMczaf

i'd like to point out how stiff most of Brock vs Reigns match was, you don't see that every day in the wwe

When you have 2 legit athletes who are not scared of actually getting hit, you get fun stuff like this. The destruction in the main event impressed me much more than any spot in that Spot Fest IC title match.

A simple clothesline made everyone go "OOOOOOH SHIT!"

Mahonay

Banned
i'd like to point out how stiff most of Brock vs Reigns match was, you don't see that every day in the wwe
Reigns had a pretty stiff match with Bryan when they fought for the WrestleMania spot, and it was his second best singles match after the one last night.

When he works stiff, it definitely seems like Reigns really begins to click in the ring. Seems like something he's beginning to discover.

You could tell Brock and Reigns agreed to work stiff as fuck last night and it did wonders for the match.

When you have 2 legit athletes who are not scared of actually getting hit, you get fun stuff like this. The destruction in the main event impressed me much more than any spot in that Spot Fest IC title match.

When Brock got cut and bruised right at the start... you knew Reigns was getting some lumps back. It really made everything seem 'more real'.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I want RAW to open with a match of some kind, like a US Title #1 Contender's Tournament or some shit, and Brock to come down, murder the two guys in the ring, get a chair, and declare he's not leaving until he's given a rematch.

HHH orders the next guys to have a match to go down, Brock murders both.

HHH orders the next guys, they come out, look at the ring, and say fuck this we outta here.

mqdefault.jpg

That would be the most glorious 20 minutes of WWE RAW in a long time. Double points if Reigns limps out there...looks at Brock, then picks up a chair and sits next to Brock.

Triple points if a heavily bandaged pair of Ambrose and Reigns come out, get chairs, sit next to the announce team with a large bag of popcorn, and munch on popcorn while Destroyer of Worlds Lesnar annihilates everyone else (for more fun, Heyman can go to start talking on the mic...and then just put it down and sit next to Reigns to watch the fun himself). That would be such an Ambrose thing to do, too. Randomly get popcorn and watch the carnage, especially if they know that Rollins is the ultimate target.

But yes; this needs to be Lesnar RAMPAGE RAW. We've seen Lesnar the badass, Lesnar the conqueror..now I want to see the fully operational and angry babyface Lesnar.

People keep saying that Sting is in bad shape, but he's lost a ton of weight in his gut compared to HHH in getting ready for Mania.

I want to know the story behind that bruise on Trips' leg. Was that just from running the ropes for the first time in a long time?

Kaladin

People keep saying that Sting is in bad shape, but he's lost a ton of weight in his gut compared to HHH in getting ready for Mania.

He had a little Chris Hero bulge starting last night.....you could tell he had been out of action for a while.

Though, can you really blame him? How much time does he likely get to work out and be an executive?

He was all over the place Mania weekend.

Toki767

He had a little Chris Hero bulge starting last night.....you could tell he had been out of action for a while.

Though, can you really blame him? How much time does he likely get to work out and be an executive?

All I know is. Vince McMahon doesn't have trouble keeping the gut in check.
Only mostly kidding.

The more I think about it, I don't know if I'm okay with Seth cashing in MITB in the middle of the match.

That has never been okay before, right? You always had to do it before, or after a championship match, not during. Clearly other MITB briefcase holders and even Seth himself would have other opportunities if they could run down and add themselves to a match.
I think it makes better sense during a match, that way there's not two title changes that just cheapen title runs.

HHH didn't have a fat gut, he had one of the muscle guts you get after taking years of 'supplements'

Cagey

Banned
HHH has GH gut. That turtle shell look.

I prefer the monsters destroying Tokyo but having and featuring both kinds of matches was nice. If both matches are done well, the juxtaposition of the two on the same show just serves to make each one look impressive in different ways.

Reigns had a pretty stiff match with Bryan when they fought for the WrestleMania spot, and it was his second best singles match after the one last night.

When he works stiff, it definitely seems like Reigns really begins to click in the ring. Seems like something he's beginning to discover.

You could tell Brock and Reigns agreed to work stiff as fuck last night and it did wonders for the match.

This mentality extends to all the wrestlers who are positioned as bad ass big brawler dudes. Sheamus is the prime example: when he's getting bruises on that Casper body and he's throwing bombs at the other dude in the ring, he's likely having an awesome to watch match. Rusev, too.

Sting vs HHH was real bad. It felt like neither man had a plan except to stall for the run ins. It's a shame because I was pretty hopeful for it. HHH had a great match last year and Sting has had several better performances in the last 2 or 3 years. Hell, I think Sting vs Hogan at Bound for Glory was a better match and Hogan was mostly immobile.

bigkrev

Looks like NXT Live specials are MONTHLY now
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ww...maine-on-three-new-original-series-2015-03-30

SPECIALS:

FLOYD MAYWEATHER VS. THE BIG SHOW: THE BIGGEST VS. THE BEST – PREMIERES MONDAY, APRIL 27
WWE Network will look back at this epic David vs. Goliath encounter at WrestleMania 24 (2008) and its shocking conclusion coming just in time for Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, which is expected to be one of the biggest boxing matches in history.

NXT TAKEOVER – LIVE! – AIRS MONTHLY ON WEDNESDAYS
The future is here. WWE’s hottest up-and-coming Superstars compete to prove they’ve got what it takes. More than just evolution, it’s a revolution! Witness these WWE Superstars of tomorrow as they take over WWE Network with live two-hour specials.

Also appears that Jericho's live podcast is going to be a monthly deal as well

Mahonay

Banned
This mentality extends to all the wrestlers who are positioned as bad ass big brawler dudes. Sheamus is the prime example: when he's getting bruises on that Casper body and he's throwing bombs at the other dude in the ring, he's likely having an awesome to watch match. Rusev, too.
Agreed about Sheamus. His stiff matches are usually pretty good. It's just the gimmick that's completely awful.

But I think Rusev is completely capable of performing quality matches with out being particularly stiff. Last night was a good example. He's usually fairly snug, but he's not throwing haymakers or anything like that.

Kaladin

WWE® (WWE) today announced that WWE Network surpassed 1.3 million subscribers following WrestleMania® 31, making it the most viewed WrestleMania in history. WrestleMania was broadcast around the world last night on WWE Network as well as on pay-per-view from a sold-out Levi’s® Stadium in Santa Clara, CA. The results represent a 97% increase from April 7, 2014 – the day after WrestleMania last year and a 31% increase since January 27, 2015, when the network surpassed the 1 million subscriber milestone. Recent growth was driven by the success of our February free promotion and the iconic attraction of the Company’s WrestleMania event.

“We believe that exceeding 1.3 million subscribers reflects the successful execution of our strategy and puts us on the path to transformative growth through WWE Network,” said WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon. “We remain focused on driving subscriber value by delivering the most compelling user experience and new content, evidenced by our new original series and partnerships with Seth Green, Jeff Tremaine and Jerry Springer.”

“We are pleased with our short-term results and, for the first quarter, we currently project to exceed our most recent public guidance associated with an estimated average of approximately 918,000 paid subscribers,” said George Barrios, WWE Chief Strategy & Financial Officer. “We are also confident in the long-term potential and understand subscriber growth could take many different paths. For example, Network subscribers might show consistent sequential quarterly gains or the quarterly adoption curve could exhibit seasonality with year-over-year growth. Regardless, over the long-term, we believe WWE Network has the potential to drive significant economic returns.”

Based on data to date, WWE Network attracted an average of approximately 918,000 paid subscribers over the first quarter 2015, representing a 27% increase from the fourth quarter 2014 average.1 The network’s February free promotion contributed to that growth, attracting approximately 201,000 trial subscribers, of which 154,000, or 77%, converted to paying subscribers in March. WWE Network reached an average of 982,000 total subscribers during the first quarter 2015, including both free trial and paid subscribers. To date, WWE Network has attracted nearly 1.8 million unique subscribers.

Who are you to tell a man he shouldn't do what he loves? Dying in the ring would be the ultimate honor for someone who spent his entire life honing his craft.

I heard that an Ultimate Fighter died in the ring the other day, between that and Rey Mysterio thing this has been a pretty good month for you boss

Haitch going over Sting reminded me of his burial of Booker T at WM19. Made no goddamn sense, after building him up to be this giant asshole who's finally going to get what's coming to him. Meh.

Cagey

Banned
Agreed about Sheamus. His stiff matches are usually pretty good. It's just the gimmick that's completely awful.

But I think Rusev is completely capable of performing quality matches with out being particularly stiff. Last night was a good example. He's usually fairly snug, but he's not throwing haymakers or anything like that.

You're right, Rusev isn't quite in that lane. Under the "how many 'pro wrestling' moves do I want to see this guy do" test, Rusev's not there but he's damn close.

kirblar

Unless he signed on for more dates, I can see the storyline being that he somehow gets suspended tonight to explain his absence.
I could actually see Brock (the character) explicitly skip Extreme Rules because of his previous experiences in no-DQ matches (last night and Cena/Lesnar I)

Top Bottom