• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Road To Raw After Wrestlemania XXX has begun....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Edge/Foley got hate toward it? I wasn't watching at the time, but I remember when I came back to catch up on matches I missed during this time period most people recommended it to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I don't much care for hardcore matches.

I don't actively shit on the divas (lolbathroombreak) like more people, I just judge what I see. I watch Raw and the PPV events and have a good grasp on how the industry works. So, you won't find me constructing foolish arguments based on a product that myself or the majority of others don't absorb.

I think Emma is cute and looks okay in the ring, but just see nothing that can translate to anything else right now. Her entrance theme is disastrous as well. It's like a bluedot.mp4

I was really just using your post to point out that there is actually a greater body of work people could see if they have any interest in doing so, with specific references to search for if they decide to.

I understand your reasoning and why you may only focus on Raw and PPV, but its my hope that in a thread like this, my post might help people try to find and watch some other good matches with a wrestler such as Tenille Dashwood or try out a rather good and underrated promotion such as Shimmer or ECCW.

Sanjuro

LT was well prepared actually, have to give the guy some credit, he only did a few moves, but he was adequate. Not nearly good enough to get that main event match, but would have made a decent midcard match.

If only they knew they could use his underage prostitutes angle in the attitude era.

Sanjuro

I was really just using your post to point out that there is actually a greater body of work people could see if they have any interest in doing so, with specific references to search for if they decide to.

I understand your reasoning and why you may only focus on Raw and PPV, but its my hope that in a thread like this, my post might help people try to find and watch some other good matches with a wrestler such as Tenille Dashwood or try out a rather good and underrated promotion such as Shimmer or ECCW.

Sure. I go to some small promotions here and there or watch recommended matches.

I'm just not like some people on here which see something from an outside organization and immediately believe that can translate to the WWE, even from an NXT standpoint.

strobogo

Banned
I miss 90's tights on wrasslers and 80s thongs on women's.

I'm sure you can find pictures of Michael Hayes in an 80s thong. Things I don't miss: Terrible cliches used all the time. Gorilla, I love you, but come on. One of either the Summerslams or Survivor Series, he threw out his entire list in rapid fire at the start of the show and then used them all again about 3 times each during the rest of the show.

The one I'm hearing now watching the Hardcore TV stuff is "Telegraphed a la Western Union". That shit was terrible, Joey. And dated even in the early 90s.

There's something offputting about the way Pristine_Condition posts about female talents but I can't quite put my finger on it. Tonally, his posts just feel really sleazy and dirty.

DMczaf

dat boston crab

lNioI2P.png

Jesus Christ, I hope Ronda comes in to work a match, that would be great exposure for WWE and the women's division in general.

But that wasn't the discussion, the post bean made was in reference to people in general saying the current women are shit and a new person coming in would wrestle circles around them. Which are the same people that think wrestling is just learning moves and there isn't an art to working a fake fight.

Why are you even trying to make a huge discussion out of this? It doesn't matter. You act like I took a shit in Rousey's bag.

And that's why I opened this discussion calling you a mark. You think that shit matters. It doesn't. At all.

What makes a good wrestler isn't the moves. It never has been.

So yes, Ronda Rousey--a far bigger name than any diva on the roster, who is more credible than any diva on the roster, who is more athletic than any diva on the roster, a proven money-maker who draws more money than any diva on the roster, who arguably has more charisma than any diva on the roster and cuts better promos than any diva on the roster, who has a better pro wrestling entrance than any diva on the roster, and who, if she participated in a WWE match, would instantly elevate that match to the status of one of the most important matches on any card (including Wrestlemania) and one of the most important matches in the history of women's wrestling, just via her participation--would absolutely be the best pro wrestler in the diva's division the second she stepped into the ring. And she would still be, even if her "moves" in a match just consisted of a few world-class-level judo throws and the famous armbar that is feared by every legit female fighter on the planet. Moves that actually mean more than any moves any other diva could pull off.

(Those criteria are basically all criteria Dave Meltzer and the voters for the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame would use to determine how good a pro wrestler is. Ronda would clearly dominate those criteria compared to any diva.)

So please...continue arguing that Ronda wouldn't "wrestle circles around them." All you are doing is arguing that you don't know what pro wrestling actually is, or what the criteria for "wrestling circles around" someone are.

Dory Funk Jr. (c) vs Bruiser Brody - NWA International Heavyweight Title - (AJPW 10/09/1981)

Perfect example of a Brody match here, it starts off wild and doesn't let up. Both Dory & Brody bleed a ton as they brawl around the arena, then the crowd lose it for Funk's comeback, before things inevitably break down, ref Joe Higuchi takes a whole bunch of bumps, Buck Robley comes out of nowhere and then Terry runs down. Real enjoyable match, I just love watching the crowd and ring attendants scatter out of Brody's way.

Aiii

So not worth it
The personal attacks make it very hard to even pretend I'm interested in reading what you're trying to argue, so never mind.

The high and mighty tone added by extra bold and underlined words aren't helping your argument any either.

strobogo

Banned
Dory Funk Jr. vs Bruiser Brody - NWA International Heavyweight Title - (AJPW 10/09/1981)

Perfect example of a Brody match here, it starts off wild and doesn't let up. Both Dory & Brody bleed a ton as they brawl around the arena, then the crowd lose it for Funk's comeback, before things inevitably break down, ref Joe Higuchi takes a whole bunch of bumps, Buck Robley comes out of nowhere and then Terry runs down. Real enjoyable match, I just love watching the crowd and ring attendants scatter out of Brody's way.

I'd like a stable of Arn Anderson, Dory Funk Jr., Larry Zbyszko, Jake Roberts, and Dr. Death as guys who looked like they were 50 their entire lives.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dory Funk Jr. (c) vs Bruiser Brody - NWA International Heavyweight Title - (AJPW 10/09/1981)

Ahhhh this is so good. I love this stuff, I love Brody in Japan.

I'd like a stable of Arn Anderson, Dory Funk Jr., Larry Zbyszko, Jake Roberts, and Dr. Death as guys who looked like they were 50 their entire lives.

I'd swap Jake out (he did actually once look young-ish) for Gene and Ole Anderson. The Anderson trifecta would be a proper way to honor all that they have done for the art of looking like old men in their early-30s. Gene was probably the master. Dude looked old as shit. Always.

Examples?

I don't know, man.

Like with Dragonzord, at least I know where he stands. He posts about female wrestlers, first and foremost, for their ability to induce boners and makes no qualms about it. Not saying I condone that behavior but I can understand it. Dragonzord is a heterosexual male that gets sexually aroused by female wrestlers, it's pretty cut and dry.

Sure, sometimes he'll feign outrage, often very poorly, at sexist or misogynistic comments here. It's just a smoke screen he throws out periodically to ward off any potential bannings that might come his way.

But you? I can't get a read on you at all. I know you have some ulterior motive, one doesn't acquire a vast knowledge of female wrestling with a pure and clear conscience. There's something your not telling us, you'r hiding it very well. But I can still feel it.

strobogo

Banned
I don't know, man.

Like with Dragonzord, at least I know where he stands. He posts about female wrestlers, first and foremost, for their ability to induce boners and makes no qualms about it. Not saying I condone that behavior but I can understand it. Dragonzord is a heterosexual male that gets sexually aroused by female wrestlers, it's pretty cut and dry.

Sure, sometimes he'll feign outrage, often very poorly, at sexist or misogynistic comments here. It's just a smoke screen he throws out periodically to ward off any potential bannings that might come his way.

But you? I can't get a read on you at all. I know you have some ulterior motive, one doesn't acquire a vast knowledge of female wrestling with a pure and clear conscience. There's something your not telling us, you'r hiding it very well. But I can still feel it.

Dragonzord: The Bret Hart of Wrasslegaf

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
bean breath constantly shining lights on other posters so no one will notice his actions behind the scenes, just look at that sinister Tenay avatar. You want to know who the snitch was? He's been hiding under our noses when we should've noticed his breath.

Zach

Bob Caudle on the Dynamic Dudes: "They love to do all the things the youngsters love to do."

Well done, Bob. Well done.

TWERK. HE'S GONNA TWERK

I LOVE IT MAGGLE!

I don't know, man.

bean with those truth bombs.
i47VawIgF8EXg.gif

Sblargh

Banned
Bob Caudle on the Dynamic Dudes: "They love to do all the things the youngsters love to do."

Hey, I'm doing your thing of watching stuff from the 80s and dang, blading everywhere. People talk about Flair, but look at the environment he grew up in! All the other kids are doing it!

Zach

Hey, I'm doing your thing of watching stuff from the 80s and dang, blading everywhere. People talk about Flair, but look at the environment he grew up in! All the other kids are doing it!

Nothing makes me cringe harder than a dude blading outside of the ring on the exposed concrete. It always looks so filthy.

strobogo

Banned

Bob Caudle was just...idk. One of those weird cases where JCP clearly had better announcers and used them regularly on all their other shows, but stuck him in the booth at PPVs. At that point, JR was still basically an excitable Gordon Solie. Bob Caudle was a terrible color guy to play off of that. Should have been Tony or even David Crockett. I'm sure Caudle was a nice guy and he had a long history with the Crocketts, but he was a really poor choice to be paired up with JR.

Nothing makes me cringe harder than a dude blading outside of the ring on the exposed concrete. It always looks so filthy.

Dudes would blade for the dumbest shit, too. In some ways, blading as often as guys did was kind of realistic once you've seen actual fights and know that dudes get busted open all the time. But so many guys bladed in matches where blood added absolutely nothing to the story. It was just the normal thing. Mid card matches. All the fucking time. MAYBE 1 out of 15 matches would have the blood actually play any part in the match.

Zach

Bob Caudle was just...idk. One of those weird cases where JCP clearly had better announcers and used them regularly on all their other shows, but stuck him in the booth at PPVs. At that point, JR was still basically an excitable Gordon Solie. Bob Caudle was a terrible color guy to play off of that. Should have been Tony or even David Crockett. I'm sure Caudle was a nice guy and he had a long history with the Crocketts, but he was a really poor choice to be paired up with JR.

He worked fine in the beginning (Genesis style, baby) with Solie, but they're moving into the 90s here and he's kinda passé. I don't recall David Crockett's work and I think Tony Schiavone just made his WWF debut at Mania V, so unless he quickly jumped back to WCW, that's why he's not commentating. I guess. I don't know. But yeah, either way, Caudle's got to be out the door soon.

Finding out that the blood was real has definitely effed me up pretty good. When I was younger, I could handle it because I thought it was fake blood. Now that I know they keep razor blades tucked away somewhere and drag them across their foreheads... *shudder*

Let's just say that's one aspect of old wrestling I don't miss today.

Vylash

I remember when I was a kid and I had kayfabe shattered for me after reading one of Matt Hardy's books, I was legit shook for years, I didn't even know they talked in the ring

Zach

Holy crap. Michael Hayes' attire right now. In this match against... sigh... Lex Luger. And I thought they couldn't out-awesome the Dynamic Dudes!

m6pxnIl.png

Reading the WM22 recap reminds me that its that time again for my annual reminder of BIG TIME!
And a secondary reminder of the days when we used to get the post WM highlight reels, without these modern Wrestlemania events feel small time.

Malvingt2

A.J. ‏@WWEAJLee

Thanks for the bday wishes. But you didn’t get me anything but intrusive questions about my personal life, so basically you’re all my mom.

I don't know, man.

You could've just asked. One of my best friends, who I grew up with and whose house I used to go watch wrestling at when I was a kid, (we didn't have cable at my house) became a female pro-wrestler out of high school. (She was a "tom-boy" back then, but has been out as a lesbian now for a long time.) When we were in college and she was training, I was already trading Japanese tapes and we were already watching joshi. She never really worked much out of wrestling school, as Texas had no womens' scene in that day for anyone who didn't look like a stripper/valet. That always made me wish there was a place to see real womens' wrestling. But ever since then, I've liked competitive-looking women's wrestling and women's MMA a ton.

I'm currently real-life friends with a few women wrestlers (current and recently retired) and a couple MMA fighters. It's no big deal. I also like men's wrestling and MMA and know a few of those guys too.

I don't have any particular sexual interest in any of these women beyond finding the attractive ones attractive. I worked in high-end fashion photography for over a decade, so I'm not ever going to be blown away by any wrestler or fighter anyway, although Maria and Keibler come close. The girls I do know I kinda treat like little sisters. I guess I also subconsciously always just assume they are lesbians too. I'm generally surprised to find out when a girl likes guys.

So nope. Don't really have a motive. Sorry. Pretty boring stuff.

I remember when I was a kid and I had kayfabe shattered for me after reading one of Matt Hardy's books, I was legit shook for years, I didn't even know they talked in the ring

I don't know that I went from thinking it was real to learning the truth that fast, like flipping a switch; it happened in stages.

The idea of wrestling being fake was ingrained in me pretty much at the same time as I started watching it. I didn't watch wrestling at all when I was real young, so I never had that moment of believing it 100%. I knew the results were predetermined. I knew some of the moves and strikes were fake just by looking at them.

I think that Secrets of Wrestling: Revealed! special was the real turning point though. I knew it was fake, but now I knew how they faked it.

somedevil

find this funny form an Ambrose interview:

Ambrose added, “When you go places that you’ve never been before like I remember landing in France or something and we were going to the bus and there was a group of fans outside with CZW T-shirts and they were going ‘CZW, CZW’ and were freaking out. I was like, ‘Really? I’ve never been to France.’ Stuff you do has so much reach. WWE has such global reach, so when you see that firsthand – that’s the trippy part to me.”

I find it funny there are CZW fans in France.

https://www.thereminder.com/dining/features/wwesmackdowncomest/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom