• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Road To Raw After Wrestlemania XXX has begun....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dory Funk Jr. & Terry Funk vs Stan Hansen & Terry Gordy - (AJPW 08/31/83)

This is Terry's first (but certainly not his last) retirement match, y'know, the one with him screaming "FOREVER!!!" afterwards. His retirement lasted all of a year and two months, as he was back in All Japan for the Real World Tag League in 1984. The match itself is a ton of fun - Hansen doesn't wait for the bell and doesn't give a shit about Dory, he just wants to beat the crap out of Terry one last time. Love them brawling through a ton of streamers. Once they get in the ring and the match starts proper, Dory does a fantastic job of working from under the much larger Hansen & Gordy and the crowd goes wild for him making his comeback. Peep that leaping dropkick from Terry Gordy - he hits it right on the jaw and seems to hang in mid-air for a second. No dude that's Gordy sized should be able to do such a pretty dropkick. Terry eventually gets in and is quickly bloodied by Hansen, but Dory makes the save and we get a nice finishing stretch with Dory showing Gordy his wrestling chops before taking care of Hansen at ringside, as a weakened Terry tries his damnedest to get the pin on Gordy.

God I can't wait for this. I love Gordy. I'm on a Gordy high with all this WCCW content on the Network.

Marvel

could never
CJ Parker seems to be running with that gimmick in NXT now, throwing shade at gas guzzlers and saying he's going to "humanely dispose" of his opponents. Funny how he was impossible to like until he turned heel and now I find it impossible to hate him despite the fact that I know he's still CJ Parker.

I liked the way he ended his last promo with putting trash in the recycling bin. He's still shit though.

I think the important thing to remember about NXT is that it is first and foremost a developmental territory. I'm willing to forgive people for being shitty in the past if they improve and make me care (a la Husky Harris -> Bray Wyatt), so it's important to not get hung up on anyone's ability until the make it to the main roster.

If CJ Parker can get his wrestling up to snuff then I'd be happy. Shame that Bo never really could.

Vylash

CJ Parker seems to be running with that gimmick in NXT now, throwing shade at gas guzzlers and saying he's going to "humanely dispose" of his opponents. Funny how he was impossible to like until he turned heel and now I find it impossible to hate him despite the fact that I know he's still CJ Parker.

I'll be his biggest fan if he steals signs and cups from fans at ringside and recycles them

Pavaloo

I don't know.
I've been incredibly disappointed with just how much it plays like the last one. Like really fire grenades instead of lightning grenades, fire rockets instead of lightning rockets, the melee feels the exact same, 'fire floating' instead of 'lightning floating'

So far the only cool new thing they've added is the dash.
but I was told they overhauled all the combat and that the power differences weren't just aesthetic/skin changes?

lol guess not

url

new paige
emma-paige-650x389.png
I'll be your dream
Ii'll be be your wishi'll be your fantasy
I'll be your hope i'll be your love
Be evrything that you need
I'll love you more with every breath
Truly, masly, deeply do
I will be strong i will be faithful
'Cause I'm counting on a new beginning
A deeper meaning
A reason for living, ya

I want to stand with you
On a mountain
I want to bathe with you in the sea
I want to lay like this forever
Until the sky falls down on me

Aiii

So not worth it
The problem with CJ Parker was that he was a heel character playing a face. Unlike main WWE however, NXT turns their characters if what they are trying doesn't work and fixes their mistakes.

but I was told they overhauled all the combat and that the power differences weren't just aesthetic/skin changes?

lol guess not

A lot of the power's basic effects might be the same (i.e, the grenades, the missiles, etc), but it's their secondary effects that differ - for instance, a smoke grenade incapacitates opponents with a cloud of smoke, while the 2nd power grenades trap them in a stasis bubble. The 3rd power version isn't a grenade at all, but rather a distraction to draw enemy fire.

Pavaloo

Nope, it's pretty much the exact same.
If I get a 'force push' with fire, I'm gonna lose it.
Yeah I got blasted on gaming side for inferring this from footage lol. Game has a core formula, they obviously stuck to it.
A lot of the power's basic effects might be the same (i.e, the grenades, the missiles, etc), but it's their secondary effects that differ - for instance, a smoke grenade incapacitates opponents with a cloud of smoke, while the 2nd power grenades trap them in a stasis bubble. The 3rd power version isn't a grenade at all, but rather a distraction to draw enemy fire.

Yeah, I've seen the stasis effect. Looks like you use smoke for close range combat (i.e. shotgun blast) and neon for further away (i.e. precision rifle).

edit: derp nevermind, that sounds like
three.

sorry sunny for spoilers, I thought a lot of this stuff was known for a while now

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
well shit

I'll never play that shit now

thanks pavaloo!

why would I wanna play that last-gen gameplay

I'm kidding. Someday. I don't care much though

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone surprised that Infamous turned out to be an Infamous game? If you go by reviews its the worst Infamous yet, dang

;____;

infamous plays like infamous

edit: damnit Sokantish

Some people expected next-gen gameplay

Throwin that phrase out on gaming-side really gets jimmies rustled, it's fantastic. You should try it sometime.

I'm sure it's fun :) The game, not the jimmies!

Second power has the best traversal options

3rd power for me, especially once it's completely powered up.

Sokantish said:
Is anyone suprised that Infamous turned out to be an Infamous game?

Not at all. I'm fine with it, because while it doesn't do much to add to the formula, it does refine it in a number of ways - what I'd really like to see is a more responsive, immersive game world and a greater variety of side-mission. That's the only real negative I can lay at Second Son's feet; it takes the UbiSoft route of having the same four or five side mission types over and over.

Sokantish

I'd like to know how people are getting that. I think Second Son shits all over inFamous 2

I think I agree that Infamous 2 was better just because it wasn't as bad with the repetitive side misssions as InFamous 1 was. I think I liked 1's world better than 2s though

3rd power for me, especially once it's completely powered up.

Not at all. I'm fine with it, because while it doesn't do much to add to the formula, it does refine it in a number of ways - what I'd really like to see is a more responsive, immersive game world and a greater variety of side-mission. That's the only real negative I can lay at Second Son's feet; it takes the UbiSoft route of having the same four or five side mission types over and over.
Infamous 1 and 2 were like that too, which is weird because I'm sure they've seen reviews complain about that in every game. I guess its kind of hard to fill up an open world game and not have repeating missions. Saint's Row can be bad about that too... but for some reason I have way more fun playing any Sants Row game compared to InFAMOUS

Pavaloo

Some people expected next-gen gameplay

Throwin that phrase out on gaming-side really gets jimmies rustled, it's fantastic. You should try it sometime.

I'm sure it's fun :) The game, not the jimmies!

I would get eaten alive on gaming side! lol

Listening to the latest giant bombcast was so refreshing because they brought up the topic of "industry jargon" which I hope to god some of gaming side heard. Cause it's like they don't understand any of the words they use. Talking about level design, they really mean art direction. Talking about mission structure, they really mean writing and narrative. Etc.

It drives me nuts sometimes. It'd be like if everyone in here used "squash," "bury," "work," and "shoot" wrong. Wait a minute...

I always liked the premise of inFamous, but the core gameplay turned me off in the past. I always check to see if the new one makes any meaningful changes to the stuff that bothered me, but it turns out the stuff that bothers me makes it inFamous! lol

Maybe a new Prototype game will come out... *looks at Radical* okay maybe not.

I will get Second Son one day, but the first inFAMOUS game left such a bad impression on me it won't be for a while. I've watched Second Son played on twitch and it visually looks amazing, but I feel like that's all it is. It doesn't seem to change what I didn't like about the gameplay (such as the sniper mobs, shitty sidequests and 'lack of life' in the world you're playing in, the loose lifeless feel the main character had).

jred2k

I was just about to ask about the side-mission variety. The PS3 games were pretty bad about being collectathons with only a couple kinds of (usually short and easy) side missions. I found them more tolerable in InFamous just due to the traversal ability. Even if you were across the city from a mission it never felt like a slog to get there.

Sephzilla

So if you watch Die Hard 2 you expect it to take place in a tower, with hostages, with a cop on the outside, and with a foot on glass scene?

No, but Die Hard 2 still has terrorists, John McClane, Dick Thornburg, Molly, and follows the exact same formula as the first movie.

Shit, the only thing different from Die Hard 1 to Die Hard 2 is that the bad guys plot isn't a glorified bank robbery.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I would get eaten alive on gaming side! lol

Listening to the latest giant bombcast was so refreshing because they brought up the topic of "industry jargon" which I hope to god some of gaming side heard. Cause it's like they don't understand any of the words they use. Talking about level design, they really mean art direction. Talking about mission structure, they really mean writing and narrative. Etc.

It drives me nuts sometimes. It'd be like if everyone in here used "squash," "bury," "work," and "shoot" wrong. Wait a minute...

I always liked the premise of inFamous, but the core gameplay turned me off in the past. I always check to see if the new one makes any meaningful changes to the stuff that bothered me, but it turns out the stuff that bothers me makes it inFamous! lol

Maybe a new Prototype game will come out... *looks at Radical* okay maybe not.
Most game journos have the same understanding of 'game jargon' as people on gaming side.
No, but Die Hard 2 still has terrorists, John McClane, Dick Thornburg, Molly, and follows the exact same formula as the first movie.

Shit, the only thing different from Die Hard 1 to Die Hard 2 is that the bad guys plot isn't a glorified bank robbery.

A sequel should be improved, not rehashed. Link to the Past plays better, faster, and it's more cohesive than NES Zelda. Infamous Second Son is Infamous 1 again. And we already had Infamous 1 again.

jmdajr

God damn.. I forgot about Arnold!

edit:
Somewhat related
I'm pissed this band no longer exists because the creator attempted to do a hit job on his wife.
Bad path man...
Totallbrutal.jpg

Pavaloo

Most game journos have the same understanding of 'game jargon' as people on gaming side.

A sequel should be improved, not rehashed. Link to the Past plays better, faster, and it's more cohesive than NES Zelda. Infamous Second Son is Infamous 1 again. And we already had Infamous 1 again.

There's a reason the only gaming site I follow is GB. Otherwise news comes straight from twitter and gaf

Sephzilla

Disagreed.

It's inFamous 1 with a better melee combat system, a larger variety of super powers, and an overall cast of characters that are a lot more interesting. If anything inFamous 2 feels more like a rehash to me.

Hasney

I thought it was massively improved. I got bored of the original very quickly, very dull character and standard powers. This one grabbed me enough to platinum it.

Pavaloo

Sucker Punch should make a reboot of Marc Ecko's: Getting Up where the character plays like Cole/Sly/NewInFamousGuy and you have to scale the best "off limits" areas to tag them with graffiti. Add stealth elements by avoiding guards and security. Some chase sequences. Dense open world for tagging. Boom. Next Gen is here.

jmdajr said:
I'm pissed this band no longer exists because the creator attempted to do a hit job on his wife.

It's OK, we still have (the far superior) ArnoCorps;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiH3_p4F0oo

Infamous Second Son is Infamous 1 again. And we already had Infamous 1 again.

You can say the same shit about GTA5, yet everyone seemed to lap that up. Superficial changes, prettier graphics and an overhyped gameplay system (heists) that turned out to be incredibly underwhelming.

Pavaloo

You could argue that the new shooting system, overhauled physics and animations systems in GTA V were more than superficial changes though. Like it plays completely differently from GTA IV [which plays completely different from its predecessors]. I'm not even a big V supporter, I actually really liked IV lol

Sokantish

You can say the same shit about GTA5, yet everyone seemed to lap that up. Superficial changes, prettier graphics and an overhyped gameplay system (heists) that turned out to be incredibly underwhelming.

Man, I loved the heists. The only thing I thought was underwhelming about them was there weren't enough of them

Infamous sux. MGS 4everz n00blets

MGS is the best, all that MGS talk the other day convinced me to start Peace Walker!

Man, I loved the heists. The only thing I thought was underwhelming about them was there weren't enough of them

MGS is the best, all that MGS talk the other day convinced me to start Peace Walker!

I really liked that one "heist" where you spend 5 missions prepping for it, then you get a whopping $0 for all your effort.

Very rewarding videogame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom