• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Ghost23

Just got the game tonight as a gift. It is great, but the one thing that honks me off is the one guy who votes Maka Wuhu every single time. Why does someone want to play the same map repeatedly just to cheat? What fun is that?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ugh, anyone else run into hand cramping problems with this game? After an hour of racing or so the joints in my right hand are hurting. Maybe I just haven't found a good grip yet.

Greatest addition to the game besides coins.

You've just made my Mario Kart experience 732893742 times better.

Z4zDX.gif

cacophony

I'm really liking this game and love the additions (the hang glider & coins) but I still can't appreciate the blue shell. If you could dodge it with a banana or red/green shell or drift boost I could but it just feels so damn cheap to me. Is the only way to dodge it with a mushroom?

I'm really liking this game and love the additions (the hang glider & coins) but I still can't appreciate the blue shell. If you could dodge it with a banana or red/green shell or drift boost I could but it just feels so damn cheap to me. Is the only way to dodge it with a mushroom?

Yes, although I think I heard somewhere along the line that somebody's mother's aunt's best friend once dodged a blue shell with a fully-powered drift boost.

Either way, it's much more advantageous to watch the bottom screen and use defensive maneuvers in order to deal with blue shells.

Dr Prob

Banned
Is the only way to dodge it with a mushroom?

Yeah.

I don't really have an issue with the blue shell in general. Outside of time trials, Mario Kart is basically a party game and they want to keep people together so they can bonk each other with items. And that's fine.

The thing that does bug me is the little bouncing thing they've added, where you'll be hit by the blue and then fucking bounce around for what seems like eternity (two seconds!) with no control over your character. Is there a ledge? You will fall off that fucking ledge, no matter how conservatively you try to position yourself beforehand.

Just seems completely unnecessary.

And with that bitching out of the way, merry christmas Mario Kart people. The GAF Community races have been awesome.

Haha so many people are about to experience the joys of Y button acceleration. It's less than an inch away from the A button but makes a WORLD of difference in terms of reducing hand cramping. Hope you guys know about L button for items...I heard some people didn't know about that

Also anyone kind of annoyed how much "smarter" the red shell is now? Before it would be tripped up by tight turns in the course and basically failed if the other person wasn't on screen but now, it's basically a blue shell for the person immediately ahead of you (that you can easily stop by holding an item) but I mean in terms of how relentless you are. It seriously seems like it can follow you around the track! It's like it uses the same pathfinding AI the computer racers do!

GWX

About the coins... I don't see why people like that addition that much. I never noticed any advantages when collecting coins. I'm not paying enough atention? Please guys, help me out, because the only thing I think that those damned coins serve for is to show crosstalk.

About the coins... I don't see why people like that addition that much. I never noticed any advantages when collecting coins. I'm not paying enough atention? Please guys, help me out, because the only thing I think that those damned coins serve for is to show crosstalk.

They definitely increase overall speed, in addition to giving you a very (very) small boost when you collect them. It's not generally advantageous to go out of your way to get them, but if you're skilled enough to collect them as you race they certainly make a speed difference.

GWX

They definitely increase overall speed, in addition to giving you a very (very) small boost when you collect them. It's not generally advantageous to go out of your way to get them, but if you're skilled enough to collect them as you race they certainly make a speed difference.

Thanks. Oh, so there's an advantage. I can't believe I never noticed that. *facepalm*

Nintendo should have some super patch where when you use the Maku glitch, you still appear way ahead in the course but this time you're Waluigi and any acceleration makes you go backwards.

Okay, this is definitely the best Mario Kart. Just completed all the Grand Prix cups. Rainbow Road was utterly amazing and this is by far the most fun I've had on the nostalgia tracks from SNES and N64 before.

I agree, and I was kinda down on this game at first.

The new tracks have a lot of clever shortcuts, and the old courses are just as fun and feel pretty unique to Mario Kart 7. The roster is cool too, despite the lack of Waluigi.

Nintendo should have some super patch where when you use the Maku glitch, you still appear way ahead in the course but this time you're Waluigi and any acceleration makes you go backwards.

Ha, good stuff!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Has anyone figured out yet what's written on the mushroom cup trophy yet? I just realized you can move thr trophies around and saw the writing on one of the white circles and got curious

BowieZ

Banned
I was wondering whether some of the new MK7 tracks (and retro choices) might hint at upcoming 3DS games?

- Luigi's Mansion => prepping us for Luigi's Mansion 2
- Music Park [Melody Mwy.] => Mii Music
- Wuhu Loop 1 & 2 / Wuhu Town Battle Course => Pilotwings Resort and ... WaveRace Resort?
- DK Jungle => Donkey Kong 3D Country?
- Wario's Galleon => key location from Wario 3D Land?
- Shy Guy Bazaar => something inspired by SMB2?
- Neo-Bowser City [Koopa City] => cool new location in Paper Mario 3DS?
- Honeybee Hive Battle Course + Honey Queen => Paper Mario related or new sub-IP game involving bees or other retro SMG inspiration?
- Rosalina's Ice World => who knows

Chao

I was wondering whether some of the new MK7 tracks (and retro choices) might hint at upcoming 3DS games?

- Luigi's Mansion => prepping us for Luigi's Mansion 2
- Music Park [Melody Mwy.] => Mii Music
- Wuhu Loop 1 & 2 / Wuhu Town Battle Course => Pilotwings Resort and ... WaveRace Resort?
- DK Jungle => Donkey Kong 3D Country?
- Wario's Galleon => key location from Wario 3D Land?
- Shy Guy Bazaar => something inspired by SMB2?
- Neo-Bowser City [Koopa City] => cool new location in Paper Mario 3DS?
- Honeybee Hive Battle Course + Honey Queen => Paper Mario related or new sub-IP game involving bees or other retro SMG inspiration?
- Rosalina's Ice World => who knows

Usually it's just the other way around. Those are stages based in recent games.

Anyone else find Rosalina's Ice World really bloody weird? It feels a little creepy, and the music makes it a bit moody and intense. It just seems like such a strange match for Rosalina...

BowieZ

Banned
Anyone else find Rosalina's Ice World really bloody weird? It feels a little creepy, and the music makes it a bit moody and intense. It just seems like such a strange match for Rosalina...
That's what I was thinking. A teensy bit of new backstory to that 'ice world' wouldn't go astray...

SUPER PRINCESS ROSALINA (3DS), anyone?

SUPER PRINCESS ROSALINA (3DS), anyone?

Where we find out Rosalina is actually Princess Peach's evil alterego (ala M/Wario) and years of living in the shadows of space while pinky perfect gets all the rescuing and glory has turned her into a cold-hearted, calculating, Luma-over-feeder-to-the-point-of-explosion. She also likes space because she's become sensitive about her weight.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My favourite feature of this game, without a shred of doubt, is the ghost data that arrives via SpotPass.

I love how it's not just one ghost, but an entire race worth of ghosts on a single track. Absolutely no items at all except for your three mushrooms. It's pure, balance racing not against AI, but recorded times from other players around the world.

Every day after work I can open the system to find new races full of ghost data. This alone pretty much makes Mario Kart 7 amazing for me.

«þ»

Yep, seeing the maintenace message too and have never seen that one before...

please please please please please please please please please fix wuhu glitch

egocrata

Banned
I love the Christmas new game rush. I suck at Mario Kart, but compared to all those kids that just got the game today, I am GODLIKE.

:)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Maintenance over, matchmaking still barely works. I think it's time to pack it up and go back to MK Wii.

Do you have all your 3DS ports open or perhaps your 3DS under DMZ mode? I am starting to think something in the ports is causing me issues but.... heh, the modem my ISP gave me is a piece of shit Thomson 782. What a goddamned nightmare.

Top Bottom