• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

beje

Banned
Do you have all your 3DS ports open or perhaps your 3DS under DMZ mode? I am starting to think something in the ports is causing me issues but.... heh, the modem my ISP gave me is a piece of shit Thomson 782. What a goddamned nightmare.

I don't think the router is always to blame, maybe ISP traffic shaping/priorization or connection quality has something to say too. I've always rocked piece-of-shit ISP routers (including a Thomson right now) since the first time I got ADSL/cable and never EVER got a problem connecting Nintendo consoles to the internet with default settings, everything auto, no fiddling in router settings.

Edit: one thing: check if your router has some kind of firewall enabled and disable it. Will help with other devices connection to the internet too.

My favourite feature of this game, without a shred of doubt, is the ghost data that arrives via SpotPass.

I love how it's not just one ghost, but an entire race worth of ghosts on a single track. Absolutely no items at all except for your three mushrooms. It's pure, balance racing not against AI, but recorded times from other players around the world.

Every day after work I can open the system to find new races full of ghost data. This alone pretty much makes Mario Kart 7 amazing for me.

That's absolutely true. It's a fantastic combination of time trial and a fully featured race.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Do you have all your 3DS ports open or perhaps your 3DS under DMZ mode? I am starting to think something in the ports is causing me issues but.... heh, the modem my ISP gave me is a piece of shit Thomson 782. What a goddamned nightmare.

It's this game specifically. I have no connection problems on any of my other 3DS games or any games on PC/Wii.

The matchmaking has been bugged since launch and nothing has been done about it. I don't see it getting any better.

Eh, I definitely see them improving the online in time.

But then I have just finished watching Miracle on 34th Street. I'll believe anything right now.

Matchmaking has worked pretty perfectly for me since I bought the game at launch. Always seem to find a race with at least 6 people within 15-30 seconds of hitting worldwide search. I guess it could just be me being lucky, but none of my friends have complained of any issues either.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I give up on WW. The item spam is terrible. I thought the thunder cloud in MK Wii was bad, but Nintendo went above and beyond this time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think I've identified specifically why the blue shell pisses me off and the minor tweak they could make to make it alright in my book. I'm fine with the blue shell existing, but it should not be given out in the final lap.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
What item spam?

Everything. It's just not worth trying your best in this game when everything is determined by items.

I have never once seen anyone consistently get ahead of the pack and win multiple games in a row, ever. Whether it's a race in the GAF community or WW with 8k+ VR players, everyone is held back by items.

It turns out communities with limited items were just an excuse to make WW races as least skill-based as possible.

Boney

Banned
Everything. It's just not worth trying your best in this game when everything is determined by items.

I have never once seen anyone consistently get ahead of the pack and win multiple games in a row, ever. Whether it's a race in the GAF community or WW with 8k+ VR players, everyone is held back by items.

It turns out communities with limited items were just an excuse to make WW races as least skill-based as possible.

Maybe we're playing a different game, but what do I know. The advantage you can get isn't like Funky Kong on Bike advantage you could get because well, bikes are broken as fuck.

Me and Grav consistently get top place unless someone is indeed better than us (like that weirdo that kept hogging it's lightning until he got to third place). I mean, first place is practically unbeatable.

Boken

Banned
Cmon Boney, something about getting knocked around by items inspires irrational rage. You should know that.

Personally, I think first place has it made. You get all the items first, all the coins first and all you have to worry about is a blue shell.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Me and Grav consistently get top place unless someone is indeed better than us (like that weirdo that kept hogging it's lightning until he got to third place). I mean, first place is practically unbeatable.

I've joined you and Gravijah in WW races a few times and your placings were never consistently high nor low :p The results may as well be random with as much as items affect players.

As far as bikes go, they were definitely too good, but I maxed out VR on a license that I only used the Wild Wing on in MK Wii. It was harder but not impossible to do well with karts.

Boney

Banned
I've joined you and Gravijah in WW races a few times and your placings were never consistently high nor low :p The results may as well be random with as much as items affect players.

As far as bikes go, they were definitely too good, but I maxed out VR on a license that I only used the Wild Wing on in MK Wii. It was harder but not impossible to do well with karts.

In my defense, Gravs makes me race a lot when I'm not in the mood and consistetly fall of ledges gettin some nice 7th places.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

Its Mario Kart Kak... MARIO KART. Always been like that. Just play and have fun... and if you get blue shelled... well fuck. I told you the same about SF since you suck so bad man :(

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Its Mario Kart Kak... MARIO KART. Always been like that. Just play and have fun... and if you get blue shelled... well fuck. I told you the same about SF since you suck so bad man :(

I was fine with losing 1 out of 5 races because of items in MK Wii. Having every race in MK7 be a tossup is intolerable.

I actually think it's pretty remarkable how consistent the placements are across races—it shows that there is some balance in the game. Anyone who's played in the community extensively knows that the same person
usually Koodo
ends up winning most of the time. And WW races are pretty much the same way. The top 4 and bottom 4 are remarkably consistent.

I'll hop on later, but I doubt they've fixed the Maka Wuhu glitch. If they did, it would be a very merry Christmas indeed!

Got Mario Kart 7 for Christmas.

Played a couple online matches and a couple grand prix.
Had one race where I slip streamed past DK right before the finish line to get 1st

The Technomancer

I was fine with losing 1 out of 5 races because of items in MK Wii. Having every race in MK7 be a tossup is intolerable.

Really? Items seem a lot less broken then in MKWii. Just in my experience I've had far less frustration due to being hit with three items at once and getting dropped from first to eighth.

Berordn

How did red shells change? They move along the track just like in MKWii. The only difference I can think of is that they're prone to moving behind you instead of swiping from the side when they get the chance, making shielding more valuable.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Red shells now follow you over pits/into the air and now they're much more likely to backtrack and hit you than they were in MK Wii. There's no difference in the angle that they hit you from, it all depends on where the player who fired it is.

The Technomancer

Everyone says this, but no one ever specifically says why. The changes to red shells alone should be enough to clue people in that the game is designed for items to be king.
It feels like the density of "fuck up your day" items is lower, and they're spaced out more so that you don't get hit by a blue shell immedietly after being struck by lightning.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It feels like the density of "fuck up your day" items is lower, and they're spaced out more so that you don't get hit by a blue shell immedietly after being struck by lightning.

It happens. It would have happened to me earlier too if the lightning strike didn't drop me into an unavoidable pit first.

Trust me, give it time.

Berordn

Red shells now follow you over pits/into the air and now they're much more likely to backtrack and hit you than they were in MK Wii. There's no difference in the angle that they hit you from, it all depends on where the player who fired it is.

You also didn't have ability to control a jump over large stretches of the course and control your speed and ascent in the jumps you get from cannons. If they didn't follow you mid-jump, they'd be pretty worthless. Shields work the same in mid-air so it's not like it's a huge change.

Boney

Banned

So you just use a banana?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
So you just use a banana?

Sure that works, unless I get a single banana and the guy in 2nd gets triple red shells.

There isn't an answer for every single situation item-wise. It's part of the randomness that has always been a part of Mario Kart, but now with more spammable items, narrower tracks that make dodging near-impossible and the penalty of losing top speed from dropped coins.

It happens. It would have happened to me earlier too if the lightning strike didn't drop me into an unavoidable pit first.

Trust me, give it time.

Wait, so you're complaining about the the "item spam" that supposedly makes competitive play unbearable, then you say "give it time" for it to rear its ugly head?

People's experiences of the game differ along with relative taste, but I think it's hard to argue that the game is any more random or less skill-based than Mario Kart Wii. A certain degree of randomness has always been a part of the franchise; it's why we play the games, and why we think it's fun. There are still problems with the items, and I think it's important to acknowledge that. But the overall experience is quite good.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Wait, so you're complaining about the the "item spam" that supposedly makes competitive play unbearable, then you say "give it time" for it to rear its ugly head?

I thought the items in this game were more balanced at first, myself. It's easier to notice the positive changes before the negative ones while the new-ness still hasn't worn off.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You saw a video of all the gold parts.

It's so shiny!

And for the ones that don't know, the only 100% sure way to get all gold parts is to get 10,000, 15,000, and 20,000 coins.

Were bob-ombs able to be used as a shield in Double Dash, MKDS, or MK Wii? I know that holding it behind you set it on a timer in MK Wii and I think in MKDS, but the lack of said timer in MK7 and the fact that the explosion doesn't hurt you make it a really useful item this time around. It's understandable why it's much more common.

Korosenai

Is anyone elses 3ds acting all weird? It says im connected to my wifi and i can get on internet explorer, but it wont let me connect to mario kart 7 or ssf4 online. Really weird.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is anyone elses 3ds acting all weird? It says im connected to my wifi and i can get on internet explorer, but it wont let me connect to mario kart 7 or ssf4 online. Really weird.

I just got one for christmas and I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it online. I tried to update it to get into the eshop and it failed near the end. Guess they're getting hammered.

Just wondering, my brother got the game for Christmas. There's now way to have different saves files, à la MKDS/Wii, right? Also, what about online, since we would be playing on two 3DS?

I thought the items in this game were more balanced at first, myself. It's easier to notice the positive changes before the negative ones while the new-ness still hasn't worn off.

I don't think it's as bad as you say, but I do agree it's worse than MK:Wii. I can't put my finger on why. I do think the Fire Flower is a pretty ridiculous item to give to the top three spots, since you don't even have to aim to hit your target, but that's not solely the problem.

Double Dash is still the best MK. I mean, you could drift boost to get away from red shells!

The Technomancer

I don't think it's as bad as you say, but I do agree it's worse than MK:Wii. I can't put my finger on why. I do think the Fire Flower is a pretty ridiculous item to give to the top three spots, since you don't even have to aim to hit your target, but that's not solely the problem.

Double Dash is still the best MK. I mean, you could drift boost to get away from red shells!

This really doesn't seem worse then Wii to me. Maybe around the same as DS. Wii was the pits when it came to item use, so much frustration and rage.

JimboJones

Yeah but you't couldn't hold a shell or banana at out your back, plus when you got 3 shells they didn't orbit around your kart.

Plus it had no hop so it was automatically the worst mario kart.

Top Bottom