• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Like I said above, the density feels less. I've only put six hours into the game so far, but it seems like I'm getting screwed less frequently then I'm used to in modern Mario Kart

Are you talking about single player? GP mode is a cakewalk this time around.

In multiplayer, items are just as plentiful as they were in MK Wii, but now the tracks are smaller so it's easier to get hit by everything.

Yeah but you't couldn't hold a shell or banana at out your back, plus when you got 3 shells they didn't orbit around your kart.

Plus it had no hop so it was automatically the worst mario kart.

You didn't need to hold a shell or banana to get away from red shells, but a well-aimed green shell could still hit you. Perfect balance. Plus, all the ridiculous stuff (minus blue shell) was character-specific special weapons, so they came less often and only to specific players.

Hop would've been nice, but it's still the best MK.

Meier

Got it today. Omg at the graphics! I know the 3DS will never match the Vita pound for pound but this game looks fucking glorious! Still need to play Mario 3D Land.

Rehynn

My favourite feature of this game, without a shred of doubt, is the ghost data that arrives via SpotPass.

I love how it's not just one ghost, but an entire race worth of ghosts on a single track. Absolutely no items at all except for your three mushrooms. It's pure, balance racing not against AI, but recorded times from other players around the world.

Every day after work I can open the system to find new races full of ghost data. This alone pretty much makes Mario Kart 7 amazing for me.

And the coolest thing about it is that you get ghost data from Nintendo employees. I haven't played much Time Trials yet, but I've already raced against some dude from Retro and a lady from NoA.

Lkr

I need to play this online. I did the first cup on 50cc and it was way too easy. I know it was 50cc, but I needed to play something in the limited amount of time I had this morning

KarmaCow

Going back to 8 players and removing the bullshit items like the pow block has really improved the balance. The coin mechanic returning is interesting since it makes you choose alternate paths that might be longer but offer more coins though I'm not a fan of losing practically all my coins from lightning->red shell->knocked off the edge which can happen in seconds.

There are a few interface quirks that I'm not a fan of but overall this was much better than I was expecting after MKWii.

It may be a stupid question, but how do you do to play with your Mii online ? Thanks.

You need to unlock your Mii by getting at least a 1 star ranking in every cop in one class (like 50cc). It's more time consuming than difficult if you play on sub 150cc but if you play on 150cc you can unlock more characters.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Going back to 8 players and removing the bullshit items like the pow block has really improved the balance.

POW block is one of the easiest items to deal with in the entire series. Mega Mushroom was just a weaker version of a power star and to compensate for it's removal, Nintendo made stars more abundant. When I think about it, the only real positive changes item wise are the removal of the thunder cloud and that the blue shell can actually benefit the person who uses it now.

Ultima_5

Just got this game for christmas. Absolutely love it. Probably my favorite mario kart (this or the reg ds version). Anyway I'm going to keep working on unlocking characters... I added the gaf community so I may be on later to play w/ you guys!

Happy Holidays everyone!

I noticed that while I first regretted the removal of MK64/MKDS drifting mechanism (that was imho awesome, made you learn the tracks and snaking permitted high-level competitive play) I find the drifting in MK7 is more pleasant, I focus more on how to tackle on the curves and how to use the items strategically.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't get on earlier. this game was flawless online at launch, now it seems glitched/broken as.

Loving the single player and ghost data though.

little annoyed about trying to get all 3 stars in mirror cups though, the amount of times I get fucked with rotten item spam on the 4th course and pull a 3rd for 2 stars :/

Freakin CPU at 150cc. I put on a high acceleration configuration they outboost me at the start, I put on high speed they outboost me. Why are CPU always faster regardless?!

Freakin CPU at 150cc. I put on a high acceleration configuration they outboost me at the start, I put on high speed they outboost me. Why are CPU always faster regardless?!

I actually wasn't able to detect any advantages, other than their scary accuracy with green shells/bombs/etc. If you have a speed build and keep your coin count up, you should be able to outrun them.

Maybe I'm not used to the extreme brutality of the AI in this game. I didn't play MKWii (or any MK since DS) but the AI seems MUCH smarter. They actively get coins, aim extremely well, will intentionally get item boxes it looks like you're using, time blue shell releases until you're in narrow/air situations

GeekyDad

Love how this MK plays. Definitely feels a lot like Double Dash to me. Some really fun tracks, and I love the music, especially for Neo Bowser City.

Maybe I'm not used to the extreme brutality of the AI in this game. I didn't play MKWii (or any MK since DS) but the AI seems MUCH smarter. They actively get coins, aim extremely well, will intentionally get item boxes it looks like you're using, time blue shell releases until you're in narrow/air situations

They're much better than previous MK iterations but they're obviously not even close to the level of competent human players.

They're much better than previous MK iterations but they're obviously not even close to the level of competent human players.

Yeah. Guess I just need more practice at 150cc. Also, Toad's laugh when he passes you or hits you is the most annoying thing ever. It just makes me want to run him off the track

Hi guys, can anyone explain me how to get the turbo boost after lakitu drops you off? I have gotten it very few times out of luck but i have no idea how.

SmithnCo

Yeah, I couldn't get online all day today so I played more Grand Prix.

The new Rainbow Road track is great. I like the DKC Returns inspired track as well.

150cc manages to screw me over most of the time though so I can only play in short bursts before I get totally pissed, lol.

You saw a video of all the gold parts.

It's so shiny!

And for the ones that don't know, the only 100% sure way to get all gold parts is to get 10,000, 15,000, and 20,000 coins.

Strategy guide says 10k VR for kart, get a 1-star rating in every cup of every class for Gold Tires, and connect to 100 people via StreetPass for Gold Glider.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just got this game, and loving it so far. Unlocked Wario, Queen Bee, Daisy, Rosalina, and Shy Guy (my main!). I'm glad it's not like the Wii Version where you have to do a ton to unlock certain characters like starring all the cups. :/

Going to hop online later probably and do some racing. Can't wait!

The game seems a bit fairer...I've only gotten hit by the Blue Shell three times or so, and the items seem to be more balanced with the powerful runs being rarer than in the Wii version. I noticed the CPU now takes shortcuts...did they do that in previous games? I remember in the SNES and N64 version they didn't.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
After a week, i've finally unlocked the beast glider. Looks pretty cool with my setup right now.
It's a shame the stats are trash though, but i'll keep using it anyway.

Hoping gliders are a returning feature in the wii u game, i just don't think i can get by without getting high anymore.

Berordn

can someone reveal character unlocking to me?

Get first on the 150cc cups to unlock characters. Complete every cup on any engine class to unlock your Mii. You can't unlock two characters at once, so if you only play 150cc you'll have to redo one cup to unlock your Mii in it.

Top Bottom