• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Why can't the blue shell fly a couple meters in front of your kart, where you can visibly see it ahead and at least have a snowball's chance in hell of slamming on the breaks and/or making a hard turn to avoid it... ?

Anyways I love this game to death already, Merry Christmas to me :)

Berordn

Why can't the blue shell fly a couple meters in front of your kart, where you can visibly see it ahead and at least have a snowball's chance in hell of slamming on the breaks and/or making a hard turn to avoid it... ?

It's a counter for people who would hoard three shells as a shield in first, from back when there was no counter. The blue shell is punishment even if you don't do that, but without it, no one could ever advance to first.

Boney

Banned

You can break as soon as you hear the sound to get the 2nd place get the shell instead.

You can break as soon as you hear the sound to get the 2nd place get the shell instead.

Even better than hearing the sound is keeping an eye on the bottom screen. If you see a blue shell, keep an eye out. Smart players hold on to their blue shells, though, so it can turn into a game of chicken...

It's really not that hard glancing at the bottom screen to see items. I mean, yeah you could wait for the "danger" sound but looking down is easier

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
It's really not that hard glancing at the bottom screen to see items. I mean, yeah you could wait for the "danger" sound but looking down is easier

Let me be the first to say that doing this on snes rainbow road in an online race is near impossible.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
damn it is pretty easy. what exactly do coins do in this?

Coins work like in Super Mario Kart... the more you get, the faster you go. Slightly yeah, but can give you a boost. The 150cc/Mirror CPU is actually competent and there are around 5 characters constantly behind you. The rubber banding is less obvious and I find it the most fun I've had with MK single player since.... ever.

I just tried to join a community and it's having me spectate......... I think this happened only once when I first got the game.

What's going on?

Edit: and it had me join in on the second race

Instro

I got a 3ds and MK for xmas so I'll be joining the rest of you. Forgot how much I love Mario Kart :), the glider thing is pretty neat.

BowieZ

Banned
just noticed the minecarts full of gold on Wario's Galleon lol

also, is there ANY way to sneak thru that locked gate halfway thru Shy Guy Bazaar? Mushrooms certainly don't work, but maybe a star?

Bullza2o

Wow the last 4 games I've played online had all 8 players, unlike a couple of days ago when it was usually 5 people. A lot of people seem to have received this game as a Christmas present.

Got two Streetpass tags earlier today and one of the people I tagged owned a copy of MK7

If you haven't gotten Streetpass data from the game yet, here's some interesting info:

Not only can you race the person's Mii in a Grand Prix, but you can also race against them (1v1) in a Time Trial. The time trial was only one course. Not sure how the course is determined, perhaps based on whether the person you tagged has time trial/ghost data saved for the course, but we did end up on Maka Wuhu (no glitches involved)

When I raced against the Mii in the Grand Prix, I found it very strange that every item he received was a bom-omb. I didn't understand why until I realized what the title below his name was: "Bom-omb Ace". So whatever item(s) you (well to be more exact, the AI of your Mii) receive may be determined by your title when someone tags you and faces your Mii in a Grand Prix. My title is "Rowdy Racer", but I have no idea what items would be available to my Mii AI should it race against a human player I tagged

I had someone from GFaqs also confirm that once you tag someone, that tag will stay as a channel on the MK Channel (as well as be part of your SP List). So with that in mind, it does beg the question of what will happen to the Ghost Data channels if you happen to get more than 12 tags in the game.

Koodo

Banned
Damn, was playing worldwide and this poor Peach went from 1st to 8th due to a blue shell just centimeters from the finish line.

:lol

Ultima_5

Got this for Christmas and its my first mk since Super that I owned and it's fantastic! How do I join the GAF community?

It's in the OP. It's hidden from lurkers, so you have to quote the post to get the number code. There should be an option to search for a community in the online section of the game.

And if this your first mk since super, I also highly recommend the one for the DS! also an excellent entry in the franchise.

edit- beaten in time and convenience.

Well I thoroughly enjoyed this game...the level design was solid, the 60fps was smooth, and the controls were solid, but I do have 2 major complaints:

1. I finally got a 3 star ranking, but it wasn't easy...for the wrong reasons. Blue shells aren't bad on their own, and Rubberband AI isn't bad on its own, but together they really suck. Blue shells automatically* hit you when you are in the lead, which wouldn't suck if you were given an opportunity to extend your lead by tearing up a course with perfect cornering and boost, but because of the rubberband AI, you are at the mercy of the blue shell in lap 3.It seemed like 2 out of 3 times when racing in a cup, that blue shell would hit me in one of the races near the end of lap 3. It really sucked when it was in the 3rd or 4th track in the cup because then I just had to quit the cup and start over. That got annoying. One cup litterally took me 10 tries to get 3star because of me getting blue shelled with the finish line right in front of me.

* yes you can out elude a blue shell if you time a mushroom boost right, but again getting a mushroom in your arsenal involves a lot of luck. Being in the lead, you don't get those often in the ? blocks. Sure you could lag behind a bit to try and score one in a lower place, but the game punishes you if you stay in a lower place for too long, which makes it even harder to score 3 stars. Catch 22 it seems

2. One of my favorite modes in the DS version was the quick race. I could race on any course 7 computer opponents at any difficulty with any kart engine (50cc,100cc, or 150cc). That mode is absent from this game which is really dissapointing. Sure you can race against 7 ghosts in time trials, but it's not at all the same.

sorry I made my post ;tldr, but I needed an outlet for my rant on this game and what better place than GAF? :D

complaints

You can use the same defensive techniques against the blue shell in single-player mode that you would use in MP; if you see a blue shell on the bottom screen and you don't have a prohibitive lead, let the second-place sucker temporarily take the lead. The AI is too dumb to understand that strategy, so it's failproof as long as you're smart about the timing.

And yeah, the lack of quick race just plain sucks.

You can use the same defensive techniques against the blue shell in single-player mode that you would use in MP; if you see a blue shell on the bottom screen and you don't have a prohibitive lead, let the second-place sucker temporarily take the lead. The AI is too dumb to understand that strategy, so it's failproof as long as you're smart about the timing.

And yeah, the lack of quick race just plain sucks.

Yeah I use that strategy when I think about it but often times I forget to keep an eye on the items screen...and by then it's too late! oh well...now that I'm 3 star I'll probably stick with time trials and online play. Not too big on battles, but BOY I REALLY MISS QUICK RACE.

Wizpig

2. One of my favorite modes in the DS version was the quick race. I could race on any course 7 computer opponents at any difficulty with any kart engine (50cc,100cc, or 150cc). That mode is absent from this game which is really dissapointing. Sure you can race against 7 ghosts in time trials, but it's not at all the same.

sorry I made my post ;tldr, but I needed an outlet for my rant on this game and what better place than GAF? :D
Don't forget missions, like those boss battle against the big bob-omb in the DS version or the Wii "DLC."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOtvFuxF5D0

Offline wise Mario Kart 7 feels like [is] a rushed game. [and we should thank Nintendogs for that]
Technically, it's excellent. simply excellent. 3d without problems, 60 FPS, etc.
But content wise...

Ghost23

I don't know why people are having a lot of error messages online. I played for hours yesterday without a single disconnect.

GeekyDad

So, even though the game doesn't have missions like MKDS, I'm guessing we can have the equivalent via the MK Channel, right?

Berordn

So, even though the game doesn't have missions like MKDS, I'm guessing we can have the equivalent via the MK Channel, right?

They probably could, since that's what the Wii one did, but it also seems like that one had the infrastructure to support that to begin with, and they launched the first one with the game.

I must be doing something wrong, but I still can't choose my Mii in WW online play...to those who can : did you finish all the cups ? (in 50, 100, 150 and mirror mode ?) Did you have only one star or 3 stars in each cup ? Thanks.

Is there a way to pick which Mii I use?

Go to the mario kart channel and click on the mii in the bottom right corner, it should be the first option.

I must be doing something wrong, but I still can't choose my Mii in WW online play...to those who can : did you finish all the cups ? (in 50, 100, 150 and mirror mode ?) Did you have only one star or 3 stars in each cup ? Thanks.

Just gotta beat all the cups in one difficulty, other than 150cc. I know you don't gotta 3 star them, but you have to get first every time at least.

Gravijah

was racing online and i notice someone has a blue shell, so i stop. 2nd place moves to 1st, then stops. we're both sitting for a bit, 3rd and stuff are coming, so we speed up and the rest of the race everyone was slowing down waiting for the dude to use his blue shell. he didn't end up using it until near the very last turn. lol.

was racing online and i notice someone has a blue shell, so i stop. 2nd place moves to 1st, then stops. we're both sitting for a bit, 3rd and stuff are coming, so we speed up and the rest of the race everyone was slowing down waiting for the dude to use his blue shell. he didn't end up using it until near the very last turn. lol.

i hoarded that shit if its me you talking bout (shyguy, waluigi pinboard track). i hold them like gold and thats why.

I never really played MK online and as I assumed its a whole different game

JimboJones

Ha ha I was in that race I noticed someone reversing and I was suddenly in 1st, looked down at the bottom screen and saw you with the blue shell.

It was pretty funny though, holding everyone in first place hostage for like 2 laps.

Shoogoo

Does it still display the 3 stars next to your name when you play online?

And should I expect lag when I play with US gaffers (from EU)?

Gravijah

yes, it does.

and uhm... expect some desynching at times, depending on peoples connections. it's usually not too bad.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

yes and maybe yes. the lag i notice (and this was even when my matches are with other US players) is item boxes not disappearing even after a player runs through them.

And sometimes finishing in 3rd place shown on the screen to actually find out it was 4th or occasionally 2nd.

Koomaster

I've just learned to race like there's no tomorrow and not worry about a blue shell someone is holding. If one is fired, I usually just stop my kart and take my lumps once it reaches me, that way at least 1 or 2 coins will end up in front of me and I can reclaim them.

I still wish the blue shell worked like it did in 64, hitting everyone in it's way on the way to the first place person. I think that was more fair and allowed the person who shot it to actually move up a few spots. The way it works now is just vindictive; 'I'm in last so eff you.'

People who hold onto blue shells to mess with the heads of the race leaders are the true pros.

Edit:
Koomaster said:
I still wish the blue shell worked like it did in 64, hitting everyone in it's way on the way to the first place person. I think that was more fair and allowed the person who shot it to actually move up a few spots. The way it works now is just vindictive; 'I'm in last so eff you.'

It actually does move along the track, hitting other players before ascending and hitting the person in first place.

I've just learned to race like there's no tomorrow and not worry about a blue shell someone is holding. If one is fired, I usually just stop my kart and take my lumps once it reaches me, that way at least 1 or 2 coins will end up in front of me and I can reclaim them.

It does

Top Bottom