• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

A few people have said they've received e-mails from Nintendo saying they are aware of it, but they won't update it because "it would give an unfair advantage to owners of the original version" or something like that.

Not sure how true that is, but if it is it confirms the game has no ability to be patched which sounds more than likely. It's pretty disgusting that they will be selling DLC in Fire Emblem before putting out patches to fix games.

Actually that sounds more like they won't release new GAME CARDS with a fix. Think about it. Considering the patch would be downloaded, anyone who didn't want it could choose not to or delete it, options that wouldn't be available to those who bought the game with the glitch fixed.

It really says nothing about the game's ability to be patched. If anything, the fact that they didn't outright say it couldn't be patched says something...

It depends on how you interpret it, but to me it sounds like they can't update existing copies and only copies manufactured after a fix would not be able to perform the glitch.

In other words, the game is not patchable. Not the smartest thing to do with a game that is going to be immensely popular. Any other developer would find a workaround, which I'm sure is possible, but this is Nintendo.

Couldn't they just put it into a full system update? It should not be that hard.

Actually that sounds more like they won't release new GAME CARDS with a fix. Think about it. Considering the patch would be downloaded, anyone who didn't want it could choose not to or delete it, options that wouldn't be available to those who bought the game with the glitch fixed.

Wouldn't that only apply to offline though? It should be possible to make a mandatory update appear when you go to online play.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

It really says nothing about the game's ability to be patched. If anything, the fact that they didn't outright say it couldn't be patched says something...

They could simply not allow any un-updated versions of the game online. Doing the glitch against the CPU or your local friends isn't going to do much harm. The online play is what suffers because of it.

-WindYoshi- said:
Couldn't they just put it into a full system update? It should not be that hard.

I would assume so, but will they? More than likely not.

I'm not keeping any hope alive that it will be fixed. Not having patches for Brawl or MK Wii in 2008 was unacceptable. For a game released in late 2011, it's pathetic.

Wouldn't that only apply to offline though? It should be possible to make a mandatory update appear when you go to online play.

Whether it's mandatory or not, there's nothing stopping people from finding the corresponding file by putting the SD card into their computer and deleting it, an option people with the fixed game card wouldn't have

That was the most chaotic Waluigi Pinball I have ever been a part of... TOTAL ANARCHY!

(wow, I am seriously having the worst luck of my life today.... on a more positive note, thanks to everyone for not bitching out on Maka Wuhu!)

That was the most chaotic Waluigi Pinball I have ever been a part of... TOTAL ANARCHY!

(wow, I am seriously having the worst luck of my life today.... on a more positive note, thanks to everyone for not bitching out on Maka Wuhu!)

Yeah, eight people doing a clean Maka Wuhu race... it was refreshing. And fun! It really is a great course.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Getting hit by a blue shell when you're in second because the guy in first just finished is heartbreaking.

Tunavi

Banned
Getting hit by a blue shell when you're in second because the guy in first just finished is heartbreaking.
or when you're about to win the race, but you get hit with a shell. And then another shell. AND THEN 2 MORE. And then you go from 1st to 8th.

But going from 8th to first on the last lap has got to be the most exciting thing, Love this game

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
In Worldwide random wifi mode, if you play in Maka Wuhu and don't do the glitch, is 90% that you will be in the last places.
That's because, all people do the glitch and kill that course.

histopher

They really have to fix that glitch...I rarely get community games to work so I'm mostly stuck to worldwide matches.Having like 5 out of 8 idiots pick that course is infuriating.I can't even understand why you would do it? Most people know the trick and by doing it you end up spending more time waiting to play than actually racing.I rage quit everytime on that course now. /whinge

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mirror racing is difficult.

In past Mario Karts the moment I unlocked mirror it was the only mode I used. However since most online racing is done in 150cc I've decided to stick to that so I don't risk developing muscle memory in the opposite direction of the course.

Team peach for lyfe

image.php

I still don't really understand why people who don't like the glitch do it anyways.

Are the potential VR points gained really that much of an incentive?
Is it really going to wound your pride if you don't do the glitch and end up coming in 5th (or worse)?
Is the compulsion to take first more important than the desire to have fun on the track?

The VR points gained from any single race really aren't that significant, although I suppose you could argue that the collective total from cheating on Maka Wuhu adds up. The pride thing confuses me somewhat, as genuinely good players don't really have anything to prove—they end up doing well in almost every other race. And I understand the desire to be on top, but there can only be one person who finishes first in a race. If six people are doing the glitch, five won't win. Doing the glitch improves your chances of winning only marginally.

Needless to say, Maka Wuhu would be a lot more fun if people who were complaining about it didn't do it in the first place. Even if one or two or three people cheated, you would still have a pretty fun race. But there's this bizarre sense of obligation to cheat and then promptly come on the internet and whine about cheating. If you don't like it, don't do it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm actually glad it's become such a widespread problem in WW races. Maybe it'll make Nintendo realize they NEED to start utilizing patches.

I really can't bring myself to blame players for exploiting something in a game that won't be fixed because of pure laziness.

Nintendo has never been too keen on patches, so I don't know why they would start now. In a sense it's always been helpful to their brand; the lack of patching ability means they playtest their games relentlessly and almost always end up with an incredibly polished product. I've also kind of appreciated that they respect the "one and done" style of development, where they consider the game a finished product at release. But they've dragged their feet for way too long.

And the glitch doesn't really bother me personally; I couldn't care less about my VR or my pride. I'm just confused by people who say they don't like it and get up in arms about how terrible the track spamming and glitch abusing is, and then promptly cheat the moment they're given the opportunity.

daakusedo

Why can't it get a fix? Skyward sword get one, and mario kart is updated with ghosts everyday, I'm sure it will get challenges like the wii version too, so a patch could be easy.

histopher

I've never done it,but abstaining doesnt seem to help. And the idiots keep picking the course over and over. If you get otherwise decent players doing it,occasionally you don't even get to finish the damn race.I feel I have every right to bitch about this online.

I still don't really understand why people who don't like the glitch do it anyways.

Are the potential VR points gained really that much of an incentive?
Is it really going to wound your pride if you don't do the glitch and end up coming in 5th (or worse)?
Is the compulsion to take first more important than the desire to have fun on the track?

The VR points gained from any single race really aren't that significant, although I suppose you could argue that the collective total from cheating on Maka Wuhu adds up. The pride thing confuses me somewhat, as genuinely good players don't really have anything to prove—they end up doing well in almost every other race. And I understand the desire to be on top, but there can only be one person who finishes first in a race. If six people are doing the glitch, five won't win. Doing the glitch improves your chances of winning only marginally.

Needless to say, Maka Wuhu would be a lot more fun if people who were complaining about it didn't do it in the first place. Even if one or two or three people cheated, you would still have a pretty fun race. But there's this bizarre sense of obligation to cheat and then promptly come on the internet and whine about cheating. If you don't like it, don't do it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm just confused by people who say they don't like it and get up in arms about how terrible the track spamming and glitch abusing is, and then promptly cheat the moment they're given the opportunity.

If you're in a race where a significant number of other players are doing it, there is no reason to not do it yourself. You're not going to convince everyone else to race normally with you the next time the track comes up, nor are you going to convince the asswipe who votes for it every time to stop. There is no positive outcome from someone driving through the middle section all by themselves feeling like a dummy.

daakusedo said:
Why can't it get a fix? Skyward sword get one, and mario kart is updated with ghosts everyday, I'm sure it will get challenges like the wii version too, so a patch could be easy.

The Skyward Sword "patch" is just a channel that edits your save file. MK7 was built with the ability to download ghosts to your save file. MK Wii's challenges were on the disc. All completely different things.

Oh, I think it's fine to complain about it. I've been complaining since I first heard about it, to the point where the folks in this thread are probably sick of me. I'm just genuinely interested in the rationale for doing it from people who don't like it. There will always be cheaters. The least some people could do is not cheat—especially if they're going to complain about it.

Skyward Sword's fix was terribly awkward and involves downloading a channel to alter your save file. It isn't a direct patch. The problem for Mario Kart is that any such patch would be optional and ex post facto, and those who have an unpatched game would be able to exploit the glitch and have an unfair advantage.

Besides, if patching were possible, we either would have had one already - the game has been out for over a month now - or Nintendo would have made an official statement. We've had neither. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Ysiadmihi said:
If you're in a race where a significant number of other players are doing it, there is no reason to not do it yourself. You're not going to convince everyone else to race normally with you the next time the track comes up, nor are you going to convince the asswipe who votes for it every time to stop. There is no positive outcome from someone driving through the middle section all by themselves feeling like a dummy.
No reason? The reason I don't do it is because I enjoy the track and competing against the ones that don't cheat. Again, there will always be cheaters. But if people who didn't like the glitch stopped doing it, the game would be more fun, and that's what I care about. And I hardly feel like a "dummy" because I don't cheat, although I suppose this reveals your feelings on the matter...

Dr Prob

Banned
I never do the glitch in community races or worldwides with people I "know". That includes friends or GAFers who join through the recently played list or whatever. Totally fine with finishing 6th 7th and 8th or whatever. It's Mario Kart, who cares?

But alone in random WW rooms where people just pick it over and over, I'll do it faster and more efficiently than these useless cocksuckers until they start picking something else. And they do.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
No reason? The reason I don't do it is because I enjoy the track and competing against the ones that don't cheat. Again, there will always be cheaters. But if people who didn't like the glitch stopped doing it, the game would be more fun, and that's what I care about. And I hardly feel like a "dummy" because I don't cheat, although I suppose this reveals your feelings on the matter...

It's not cheating at this point. Literally (and I do mean literally) almost everyone does it when Maka Wuhu comes up. Believe me, I tried racing normally for the longest time before I realized the majority of the time I was the only one NOT doing it. There is no "fun" in running the middle section of the track BY YOURSELF. Wanting people who don't want to abuse the glitch to stop is an impossibility. It's never going to happen. As far as WW races are concerned, Maka Wuhu without its second section is just how the track is.

Honestly though, it's just another problem with a game that should have been much better than it is. It's almost fitting that a lazy copy/paste job from Wii Sports Resort (one of TWO) should have a track ruining glitch.

Wolfe

It's not cheating at this point. Literally (and I do mean literally) almost everyone does it when Maka Wuhu comes up. Believe me, I tried racing normally for the longest time before I realized the majority of the time I was the only one NOT doing it. There is no "fun" in running the middle section of the track BY YOURSELF. Wanting people who don't want to abuse the glitch to stop is an impossibility. It's never going to happen. As far as WW races are concerned, Maka Wuhu without its second section is just how the track is.

Honestly though, it's just another problem with a game that should have been much better than it is. It's almost fitting that a lazy copy/paste job from Wii Sports Resort (one of TWO) should have a track ruining glitch.

I did the same thing with not cheating and I agree that it's no fun doing the mid section alone and then not even bring able to finish the race due to being in 8th place.

YES YES YES YES!!!!!! God, VERY stressful experience trying to get this game to work and I FINALLY got it. Had to port forward the 3DS for it to finally get working but god am I relieved to have gotten
over this hurdle with the system. I'll definitely be joining KartGaf today.

;)

For those who are STILL having trouble with this game online and specifically are having an error where you can connect online to MK7 but can't connect to any race without having an instant disconnect error then I HIGHLY recommend doing the following.

Still not working? - Set up port forwarding in your router for the Nintendo 3DS.
Access your router's settings.
Find the "Port Forwarding" settings, which are often located in the section called "firewall," "security," or "applications and gaming."
When asked to enter a "name," enter “3DS."
For the starting port enter 1 and an end port of 65535.
Set to the "protocol" to TCP, UDP, or both.
Enter the IP address that you gave to the Nintendo 3DS earlier.
Select "Enable" or "Apply" to activate these settings and save the changes to the router.
Test the connection again and try to update.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/15934211-post69.html

OMG Aero

When you see someone do the Wuhu glitch you should turn around and start driving backwards. Then the game will disconnect you and you can try and hope into another race/do something else while those people are still finishing their race.

But alone in random WW rooms where people just pick it over and over, I'll do it faster and more efficiently than these useless cocksuckers until they start picking something else. And they do.

Yeah the glitch is a minor annoyance compared to the people repeatedly selecting it.

I hope everyone appreciates the legitimate cloudbushing to the right of the start line on the piranha plant track.

Top Bottom