• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Maaaan, now I'm way too excited about this game without any chance to play it anytime soon...

They need to start putting WarioWare characters in these games so more people can see his glorious art.
Whatever makes the man better known!
Your avatar...! That's it, I'm changing mine too!

They need to start putting WarioWare characters in these games so more people can see his glorious art.
I never get why they seem to ignore Wario's games when it comes to Mario spin-offs. They go and get things from Donkey Kong games like Diddy Kong, Kritter, and Funky Kong, but when it comes to Wario, they just stick him with Waluigi. They should really get more Wario game representations in Mario spin-offs.
I also don't understand why they ignore Waluigi when it comes to Wario games...

dock

Tempted to buy a white van and linger around primary schools so I have someone to play Mario Kart 3DS with here in Cambridge.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm certain I'm getting this for Christmas, and I can't wait.

But that's just the problem... I have to wait until Christmas. :-(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm certain I'm getting this for Christmas, and I can't wait.

But that's just the problem... I have to wait until Christmas. :-(

Me tooooo. Along with the awesome looking Zelda 3DS, though! My dog ate my Mario Kart DS a few years ago, I really feel like playing it right now.

Soo... better than MKDS? Or is it too early to determine that?

Personally I dont like all the new tracks as much as I did with the DS tracks. The lack of Challenge mode makes this game less attractive for single player. However it is way better when it comes to multiplayer options, but the gliding mechanics are a fun mechanic. Also the new wheel customization is another good feature. So you can say the game plays better, but not so crazy about the all of the level design.

My review, if anyone's wanting another to read.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/12/02/mario-kart-7-review-3ds/

8/10.

Good review, I agree with everything you said. I am glad I wasn't the only one unimpressed with some of the new tracks. Even from a visual perspective the first cup levels are very poor. While later more creative tracks are beautiful in 3d with nice colours and design. It is safe to say that this game is one of the better Mario Karts that introduces some good new mechanics.

If anyone's nearby, the GAME in Oxford St has it instore today to try out. There's some poor sod dressed in a huge Mario costume and everything.

Sinthetic

My custom Grand Prix is amazing.

I'm really glad the game gets hard during 100cc in Single Player, hard to get 3 Stars I mean. I want the SP to have legs.

Mario Kart Wii? That's terrible. I'm very sorry to hear that :(

tumblr_lu9yc4DeKA1qgfe2so1_400.gif

MKWII is ace

My custom Grand Prix is amazing.

I'm really glad the game gets hard during 100cc in Single Player, hard to get 3 Stars I mean. I want the SP to have legs.

I think my current custom GP is...
Melody Motorway
Kalimari Desert
Wuhu Loop
Maple Treeway
2 new and 2 old, i'm not actually too sure what my favourite new tracks are yet.

Sinthetic

I think my current custom GP is...
Melody Motorway
Kalimari Desert
Wuhu Loop
Maple Treeway
2 new and 2 old, i'm not actually too sure what my favourite new tracks are yet.

My immediate favourite new tracks are:

Shy Guy Bazaar
Melody Motorway
Wario's Galleon
Koopopolis
Wuhu Mountain Loop
DK Jungle
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road

That shows how much quality there is in the game, I didn't have nearly as many epic picks from MK Wii. Stunning work making the new tracks fun and beautiful.

My immediate favourite new tracks are:

Shy Guy Bazaar
Melody Motorway
Wario's Galleon
Koopopolis
Wuhu Mountain Loop
DK Jungle
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road

I'm thinking that the best new tracks are...
Shy Guy Bazaar
Melody Motorway
Alpine Pass/Rock Rock mountain
both Wuhu tracks
Piranha Plant Pipeway

It's certainly a good lineup, only ones that I feel underwhelmed with are Cheep Cheep Cape and Rosalina's Ice World.

Sinthetic

I'm thinking that the best new tracks are...
Shy Guy Bazaar
Melody Motorway
Alpine Pass/Rock Rock mountain
both Wuhu tracks
Piranha Plant Pipeway

It's certainly a good lineup, only ones that I feel underwhelmed with are Cheep Cheep Cape and Rosalina's Ice World.

They really should have done a SMG themed stage, I know Rosalina's stage is based around Galaxy, but I think they missed a golden chance there.

They really should have done a SMG themed stage, I know Rosalina's stage is based around Galaxy, but I think they missed a golden chance there.
Having that SMG planet in the background was such a tease, i'd like a mind bending gravity defying track.

How exactly are we earning the stars?
I was always under the assumption that points and coins factored into it but I'm pretty sure I got 40 points and 40 coins in one 150cc cup and ended up with just 2 stars so I guess that time may also be a factor. I'm suddenly remembering an odd rumour about the wii game which detailed that off road moments and being hit by items were detrimental to the star rank, hopefully that isn't the case.

Sinthetic

Having that SMG planet in the background was such a tease, i'd like a mind bending gravity defying track.

I was always under the assumption that points and coins factored into it but I'm pretty sure I got 40 points and 40 coins in one 150cc cup and ended up with just 2 stars so I guess that time may also be a factor. I'm suddenly remembering an odd rumour about the wii game which detailed that off road moments and being hit by items were detrimental to the star rank, hopefully that isn't the case.

Mind bending is exactly what I'm after, racing upside down in 3D haha!

I think the stars are earned from coming 1st in every racing, time spent in 1st/other and items used/hit.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
snaking won't be prevalent I don't think. it's too hard to do and luigi raceway is FAT. it's the widest course I think and the guy is taking most of the width to perform blue spark snake.

it's been pretty nerfed at least. I'll give it a shot later to figure out if it's a thing or not.

I didn't have time to do anther cup on the train today so I took a blast on some time trial, was pleasantly surprised to find some rather easy to beat nintendo ghosts already there.

EDIT: one thing I find odd about online is that you can use your upgraded kart there. I was getting owned by gaffers in my default cart. Then I played some offline, got some new carts and played world wide, I destroyed all the people with 1000 points who were presumably new.

I've only done the first cup on 50cc so far. I'm not impressed with the first two tracks but the last two Shy Guy Bazzar and Cheep Cheep Cape are pretty awesome with some nice shortcuts.

Here's hoping that the rest of the new ones are more like the last two!

The glider seems somewhat underutilised so far, but screenshots of other tracks shows a lot more promise (and I'm sure that later gliders will let you fly further/faster so that'll no doubt shake things up quite a bit)

The handling is also quite unusual. It's like a mixture of Mario Kart DS and Double Dash (it feels similar to DS, but it has that sort of weighty feel and high analog sensitivity/accuracy that Double Dash had, quite nice!) It is a bit slow, but then again this is 50cc.

The gyro controls are quite nice, more sensitive than MK Wii (you only have to rotate the system very slightly and I find that it doesn't break the 3D effect), but I think I prefer MK Wii's motion controls overall.

The trick system overall seems to be heavily toned down in these new tracks (speaking of which, tricks are now done by jumping just before a ramp) and don't seem to give you as much of a boost as in MK Wii (which was basically Tony Hawk racing in that respect!)

Hope there's more craziness later on!

How exactly are we earning the stars?

The question is what do you get for three staring everything? I got
the Mii
after all three stared in 50cc on my first try, but I guess you unlock it by just winning every cup. I still have one cup with only 2 stars in 100cc so I can't say if there is some kind of an award. Three staring everything on 150cc and Mirror is going to be tough!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Got it in the post today which was a nice surprise since I only ordered it on Wednesday and chose free delivery.

Only beaten the first cup since that's all I could fit in during my morning commute, but I was surprised to see I got a three star ranking. Checked the manual and noted that rankings are only score one star to three so I guess they've eased up on how the ranks are calculated.

I already played the demo at Eurogamer so I knew the 3D effect was subtle, but now I know it is easy to keep on even if the bus is a bit shaky. Will probably turn of the gyro controls off on the way home since it's impossible to use those on a bus.

I didn't have time to do anther cup on the train today so I took a blast on some time trial, was pleasantly surprised to find some rather easy to beat nintendo ghosts already there.

The staff ghost on Koopa City/Koopapolis/Neo Bowser City/Future FunLand seemed like a huge step up from the others i've attempted, I had to bow down to the might of the Retro Studios ghost.

One thing I haven't quite understood is how you create that temporary boost, and I dont mean the drift boost but the one where you would continue with like a "wind" effect behind you.

Berordn

storafötter;33126328 said:
One thing I haven't quite understood is how you create that temporary boost, and I dont mean the drift boost but the one where you would continue with like a "wind" effect behind you.

Sounds like you're talking about drafting. Follow in a vehicle's slipstream long enough and you'll get a boost of speed.

LayLa

just got this and played some random matches against some people from Japan & Germany.
online on this is seamless. well done nintendo.

Top Bottom