• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

FatCat

Got to say, I've only played for about 2hours but this MK is shaping up to be something really special. I loooove the gliding, its not tacked on and becomes second nature once you try it out. Then there's the 3D that is super clean, no problem with things straining your view. I don't understand how gametrailers said they turned it off after not too long.

New tracks are really nice, I feel they put alot of imagination into most. And OMG at the retro tracks, they definately chose some real classics (I'm thinking last track of 2nd and 4th retro cups). Nostalgia overload.

I have yet to try the first person mode and gyro controls, will give those a spin tomorrow. Same for the online. I added a GAF community; Nintendo definately added some value to the online when it comes to connecting with others.

Btw, will want to race some GAF members from tomorrow, add me! 1934-0680-1657

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Anyone else get the SpotPass Ghost Data and Community invite today from Nintendo?

I received the Ghost Data. Pretty exciting doing a race with other seven ghosts, and beating them. :D

@Brazil: Are you ready to contain the surprise when you'll see how Nintendo became good with online...at least this time? :lol

NateDrake

I received the Ghost Data. Pretty exciting doing a race with other seven ghosts, and beating them. :D

@Brazil: Are you ready to contain the surprise when you'll see how Nintendo became good with online...at least this time? :lol

The community invite showed on my Channel. It was a Banana only community.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just started the game, and it feels great from the get go. I dig the gliding, and underwater segments (at least the one in the mushroom cup) wasn't as bad as some reviewers made them sound.

But I'm wondering about the application of drift boost; I realize that I only need to drift to generate blue and orange sparks, but I'm noticing that they come quicker when I'm not trying to steer opposite to the drift's direction, slower if I do. Am I on to something, or totally missing the point?

I just started the game, and it feels great from the get go. I dig the gliding, and underwater segment (at least the one in the mushroom cup) wasn't all that bad.

But I'm wondering about the application of drift boost; I realize that I only need to drift to generate blue and orange sparks, but I'm noticing that they come quicker when I'm not trying to steer in the opposite direction of the drift, slower if I do. Am I on to something, or totally missing the point?

That's how the drifting was in MKWii. The idea is you're always going to drift in the direction of the turn, so if you turn into the turn harder you'll get the boost faster. So let's say you're turning right, when you drift right, your steering right is SUPER easy and turning left is very hard, so you have to balance how much you'll turn right without crashing right, and obviously its easier to just hang on turning left, which is easier, so you don't get as rewarded for it.

I think I just super over analyzed Mario Kart.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
After getting three stars on 100cc with ease 150cc is proving to be an annoying challenge. Only managed two cups so far.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
That's how the drifting was in MKWii. The idea is you're always going to drift in the direction of the turn, so if you turn into the turn harder you'll get the boost faster. So let's say you're turning right, when you drift right, your steering right is SUPER easy and turning left is very hard, so you have to balance how much you'll turn right without crashing right, and obviously its easier to just hang on turning left, which is easier, so you don't get as rewarded for it.

I think I just super over analyzed Mario Kart.

The funny part is you learn all these mechanics through muscle memory and intuition alone.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I got a Streetpass in town earlier, I checked my Plaza and I had hundreds of Mii's in there, it seems like everyone you play in MK7 gets added there. CRAZYYYYYYYYYY.

I've gotten a few Miis from MK7 and I haven't played an online match yet! Only thing I've done is add the two GAF Communities.

Mistle

What's the advantage of sharing friend codes if we can all just use the gaf community?

And lol, the few people I have raced have showed up in SM3DL Toad Houses and given me gifts!

Milpool

After getting three stars on 100cc with ease 150cc is proving to be an annoying challenge. Only managed two cups so far.

I did what I thought was a perfect run on 150cc Special Cup and only got 2 stars, it's driving me mad since it's the last one I need in this class. Where as on the Leaf Cup I fell off the track 4 times on Maple Treeway and still got 3 stars.

Volodja

I got three stars on the first try on one of the cups at 150cc but I really am not that interested in playing against the ai again after unlocking stuff, it's not that difficult to arrive first and most of the times the losses are due to combos of items raining on me when I am on top.

I did what I thought was a perfect run on 150cc Special Cup and only got 2 stars, it's driving me mad since it's the last one I need in this class. Where as on the Leaf Cup I fell off the track 4 times on Maple Treeway and still got 3 stars.

One of the biggest pains is the item boxes. I remember in MK: DS if you picked up too many item boxes you wouldn't get 3 stars. Big pain -_-

Mistle

Just checkout my plaza... Wow yeah that sucks ._. its packed now with everybody ive raced, and I've only raced a few times! I liked the plaza being a small little collection of actual people ive passed, not randoms from all over the world.. lol

And whats with this friend code system update? How do I get it?

Just checkout my plaza... Wow yeah that sucks ._. its packed now with everybody ive raced, and I've only raced a few times! I liked the plaza being a small little collection of actual people ive passed, not randoms from all over the world.. lol

Friend code update? Only update on the cart is so you can join a friends game from the friends list.
If you are talking about that when your system will update when you first put in MK7 so you should have it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Well at least there's an option to erase Miis. Any not holding a game icon is someone you didn't streetpass.

The friendcode update came with Mario Land 3D and I'm guessing this.

hatchx

Banned
Quote the first post and look at the bottom of the quoted portion.

Thanks. Anyone good to go? I'm waiting at the message section, doesn't seem to be finding anyone.

The Bomb-only gaf apparently has zero members.

Anyone down to get wooped? my friend code is 4124 - 4998 - 1885

Let me know if you want to play!

I couldn't notice any differences between the basic 8 when using the same parts. Just how subtle are these differences?

Put someone like Bowser in a heavy kart and then use the same kart for say Koopa and you'll notice that there is quite a difference, weight being the most obvious one.

So are the 150cc races ridiculously hard, like the Wii game?

I never bought that game because I heard horror stories about the rubberband/blue shell AI being absurd.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So are the 150cc races ridiculously hard, like the Wii game?

I never bought that game because I heard horror stories about the rubberband/blue shell AI being absurd.

Wii version is no worse than the rest of the series. Trying for triple stars can be a headache just because of items alone, but if you just want to 'win the cups' it's a cake walk.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Put someone like Bowser in a heavy kart and then use the same kart for say Koopa and you'll notice that there is quite a difference, weight being the most obvious one.
Woops, I see it now. I still think there's little, if any, differences between some of the standard weight characters though (Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi for example).

Volodja

Woops, I see it now. I still think there's little, if any, differences between some of the standard weight characters though (Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi for example).
I think there are 5 weight classes and all those character but Yoshi belong to the same middle one while Yoshi goes in the one between the lowest and the middle one.
But I've not payed that much attention to it, since unlocking Shy Guy I've been unsing him exclusively.

edit: as a matter of fact, the weight classes are reported in the OP.

So that's 50cc and 100cc done to three star - the later took a good few hours tonight. 150cc looks like fun from my first 2-star attempt. My save is showing 9h40 over 8 sessions so far, I reckon at least half of that again, if not more, to 3-star 150cc?

You know what this is really reminding me of? Motor Toon Grand Prix 2 on the PSX. The jellified handling, the train kart, the music level, and lots more besides. I adore that game so it's no bad thing. :)

Keyouta

Got the game, so if people want to add me, my FC is:

4425 - 1491 - 4842

I'll join the communities too!

Also, is it best to just do 150cc to unlock everything?

here is my FC if someone wants to add me.

3394 3575 4066

I'll also leave it in the 3DS FC thread.

Also, who is Mikael, ranked 3rd in the community at the moment? Man, the last 4 races where instense! Nice tie in the end.

Top Bottom