• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

King_Moc

Banned
I vaguely remember something about various reviews/previews not being allowed to reveal some "special" unlockable... is there some wonderful bonus mode, or was that just them being silly about something?

Tied to that, I notice two things that aren't happening but seemed to have been mentioned earlier...

* The "Mario Kart Channel" doesn't install to the system -- it's just a subsection of the game's menu/online mode. I thought someone said it would be installed so you could use it without having the game. (Not complaining, mind you, just curious if I misheard something.)

* I -know- we were told you could do Time Trials against multiple ghosts. I currently have 3 ghosts on a track (2 staff, one mine), and there seems to be no way to race against more than one at a time. Is there a trick to this... or is it only when playing against Streetpass/Spotpass ghosts?

(Tied to this, am I right in thinking that there is no way to exchange ghosts with your friends in this one?)

The online ghosts come in via Spotpass once you have set a time for a track. Though not very often as far as i can tell. I would guess that you can get you're friends times via Streetpass.

Wizpig

I know not a lot of people enjoy these, but i love some battles, so i created a GAF battles community, here's the code:

NeoGAF Balloon Battles
CODE: (Quote to reveal)

No lag so far. ...But some strange people appearing in front of me after they went outside the track. However, so smooth.
Well, that IS lag, the game thinking your opponent missed the jump while he actually didn't, then correcting itself.

MK Wii netcode was slightly better imo.

Some people explained MK netcode in a good way, basically it's not real time online, but the game approximates your opponents positions or something, like you are battling ghosts.
There, i explained it in a shitty way.

The bad thing of this was that every racer had the same weight, so even a Yoshi could bump Bowser off the track.
I don't know if this is still the case in 7.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Do the characters even influence the speed, weight etc. anymore or is that all handled by the cart customization?

I asked this earlier, and the answer is that the most pronounced attribute differences will be caused by parts, but character are still split into weight classes. And weight, indirectly affects speed and acceleration (handling too?).

GT got this wrong in their review, btw.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'll ask again about the R tricks; sometimes the character will fist pump the are, while others turn to the camera, are they random or depend on my timing, thus somehow affecting the boost bonus?

And is there a third trick I haven't seen yet?

I asked this earlier, and the answer is that the most pronounced attribute differences will be caused by parts, but character are still split into weight classes. And weight, indirectly affects speed and acceleration (handling too?).

Alright, thanks. I almost wish the character choice wouldn't have any impact on the karts at all, but I think thats good enough.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)

You can see this simply by selecting different characters and checking the stats on the next screen (the parts screen). Heavier characters have slower acceleration but higher top speeds, and lighter characters have quicker acceleration but lower top speeds -- just like in the SNES original and most (?) of the non-N64 versions.

Okay, I just did another series of adding friend codes - will be sending out PM's soon. If anyone wants to add me, my Friend Code is:

1805 - 2171 - 5625, just please PM me to let me know and I'll add you back.

BY2K

Membero Americo
God I hope Nintendo patches this. (I mean, the 3DS IS supposed to support DLC and patches, right?)

There are five different parameters that are affected by character choice, according to to the Mario wiki, which I assume is still correct:

7ZzMK.jpg

--

Also, count me in as being sad about Wuhu and snaking. I really hope they patch that stuff and soon, otherwise those levels will be the only ones we ever see online.

Izayoi

Banned
Also, count me in as being sad about Wuhu and snaking. I really hope they patch that stuff and soon, otherwise those levels will be the only ones we ever see online.
Not if you play with the right community. I'm sure there will be groups where those levels are not played.

Wait, snaking crawled right back in? How?

It's not the same kind of snaking as in MKDS (and not as easily done), but you can exploit the wide sections of a few tracks to get successive blue speed boosts from drifting. There have been a number of people who have reported that these tracks are being spammed online by snakers.

Not the total mess that MKDS was for that kind of thing, but still disappointing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's such a shame. I quite like the Wuhu tracks. In fact, I really love the addition of tracks that aren't based on laps but sections. It's a really nice change to the usual lapping.

I gotta say, MK7's new tracks are all pretty damn fantastic.

«þ»

I think I remember reading talk about the 'potential' of DLC for Mario Kart 7 in one of the Iwata Asks, which fingers crossed means that the game is patchable and the Wuhu glitch can be fixed.

I've played a bit and in my opinion snaking doesn't really seem like a huge issue at the moment. My thumb hurts from playing it normally!

Wizpig

Wuhu mountain loop is glitched. There's a pit near the checkpoint where if yo ufall in at the right spot your kart spawns at a spawn point on the other side of the loop, skipping almost a whole lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egUl0q4fo5c
Post that under email tag aswell :lol

If lurkers read that, and many lurkers read GAF, it's all the worse.

Anyone up for some balloon matches? i'm in the lobby. if that fails i'll join regular GAF lobby.

Jubbly

5 of us playing right now.

Hah, blue shell and fireballs, and I still scraped to my first online win!

Metal Mario, fu :(

Jubbly

So close! The red shell hit me JUST as I crossed the finish line.

Nice racing Domo.

Still three of us in the lobby if anyone wants to pile in.

So close! The red shell hit me JUST as I crossed the finish line.

Nice racing Domo.

Still three of us in the lobby if anyone wants to pile in.

I think I was in that 5 player match as well - good racing, I was the other regular Mario. I got lucky in the third race with a golden mushroom at the end, but typically would start really strong and then nose-dive in the second or third lap. Having a ton of fun with the game so far though.

Wow what luck! A blue shell was coming after me(First one in the game) and I got a mushroom a second it was about to hit me and I dodged it!

Do you think it was a design decision on the part of the developers to allow a 1st place racer to get a mushroom precisely for that reason?

Because if so, then that's great. They must have been looking at how people were playing MKWii.

Sinthetic

Most fun tracks to play are DK Jungle, Luigi's Mansion and Bowser's Castle (Old School)... Pure drifting magic.

As mentioned earlier, during online play, I often see people "falling off" the track, only to appear back on the track, then somehow get right in front of me with a banana.

Very weird and highly annoying.

Yeh, so the person saying you don't unlock anything for 50cc had it wrong unless you can unlock what I spoiler tagged elsewhere.

You can unlock it on 50cc, but it's not necessary. You can unlock the Mii by
winning all the cups for any given cc.

Edit: I may have misunderstood. Plus, spoiler tags.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just picked this up and played the Mushroom Cup. I'm starting with 50cc since I haven't played the series in a while, plus not having the Gold Cups in every difficulty would bug me. I'm amazed at how smooth it is and how great it looks even with 3D on.

I'm gonna go through the cups for now, and maybe hop online later tonight if I go ahead and start the 150cc cups.

Top Bottom