• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Is the OS "join" feature tied to the community's lobby only, or can join my friends in any race, random or otherwise?

GC|Simon

The German launch weekend is over. My stats:
- 14:56 hours played
- 5 sessions á 2:59 hours

Those stats say pretty much everything about the game itself. 3DS GOTY.

Do we already have an official NeoGAF community?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is anyone else absolutely infuriated at how they handle communities in this game? The fact that there's no option for just "continuous races" where people can join and drop as they please is evidence to me that Nintendo still has no idea what the fuck they're doing with online play.

I predict that in under 2 weeks, most people will stop bothering with communities. It'd be one thing if you could join a community, see an active race going (spectator mode) and jump in on the next race, but the fact that if Group A already has a race going, you're automatically thrown in a waiting room for Group B is outrageous.

Here's the common scenario I've been seeing:

Group A is formed. Two people join. Somebody hit "start the race" (or it happens automatically). The three of them begin racing.
-Meanwhile-, another person joins the community, and is placed in Group B by himself. Someone joins Group B, and because they're an impatient asshole, presses "start the race".
-Then- After the first race, someone from Group A drops out or gets a connection error, so now it's just two people in Group A.
-Unsurprisingly- a Group C is then formed by someone who joins the community. The cycle repeats.

There are now three unfilled groups in the same community that could just as easily be combined to allow all of them to play together. But, instead, Nintendo has no fucking concept of how to handle online play.

NateDrake

Is anyone else absolutely infuriated at how they handle communities in this game? The fact that there's no option for just "continuous races" where people can join and drop as they please is evidence to me that Nintendo still has no idea what the fuck they're doing with online play.

I predict that in under 2 weeks, most people will stop bothering with communities. It'd be one thing if you could join a community, see an active race going (spectator mode) and jump in on the next race, but the fact that if Group A already has a race going, you're automatically thrown in a waiting room for Group B is outrageous.

Group A is formed. Two people join. Somebody hit "start the race" (or it happens automatically). The three of them begin racing.
-Meanwhile-, another person joins the community, and is placed in Group B by himself. Someone joins Group B, and because they're an impatient asshole, presses "start the race".
-Then- After the first race, someone from Group A drops out or gets a connection error, so now it's just two people in Group A.
-Unsurprisingly- a Group C is then formed by someone who joins the community. The cycle repeats.

There are now three unfilled groups in the same community that could just as easily be combined to allow all of them to play together. But, instead, Nintendo has no fucking concept of how to handle online play.

Not really. It's a Grand Prix among people you know or whatever. If you want to play non-stop then play the worldwide online.

hatchx

Banned

It's not perfect, I also wish I could type personalized messages while waiting in the lobby.

The way you've described, the continuous race, works in worldwide so you frequently get your 8VS there.

But I've had some great 4VS or 6VS with gaf community. It is very well balanced and a lot of fun.

I don't know if your problem is patchable. Are 3DS games patchable to solve problems like this?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Not really. It's a Grand Prix among people you know or whatever. If you want to play non-stop then play the worldwide online.

That's helpful if I want to play random people, but if I want to play members of the GAF (or any other) community, it's not.

The way you've described, the continuous race, works in worldwide so you frequently get your 8VS there.

But I've had some great 4VS or 6VS with gaf community. It is very well balanced and a lot of fun.?

Exactly. It's fun playing against people in your community, hence why communities - in general - are a good idea. It's just Nintendo's stupid execution that ruins them for me.

Considering people were saying that the community would be limited to one room I'm pleasantly surprised by how it works. Had a bunch of fun races with gaffers tonight.

Early days but I'm really liking the balance of this game compared to mk:ds. Lots of the races were really close all the way through.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Battle Mode is excellent. I miss Bob-omb Blast from Double Dash, but everything else is great. Coin Runners seems especially good, and I like that Balloon Battle is point based instead of last man standing. Both options would have been nice, but I think I like the version they picked better.

EDIT: I guess you can kind of recreate Bob-omb Blast by choosing Bob-ombs only and picking Balloon Battle.

Boney

Banned
filthy pirates the lot

for the people that pm'ed me, i haven't answered cause my 3ds is off limits till tuesday, so I'll see you there with MK!

Milpool

Wooo 3 starred everything, still not unlocked some of the vehicle related stuff though. Do the coins collected online count towards unlocks?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I can't believe how clean the game looks. And 60FPS in 3D or not.

And you say this game was rushed? Good stuff!

On that wii music track I like the way you can get boosts if you time them to the landings of those jumping things. It's like a little rhythm game incorporated into the track. The piano corners are a nice touch as well.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
How are the Retro designed tracks compared to the Nintendo designed tracks?

I don't think there are any Retro-designed tracks. There are only Nintendo-designed tracks and old Nintendo-designed tracks reworked by Retro.

Ok, just got home with a copy a little while ago. Here's my knee jerk reaction to MK7 after having just played the first cup. (So take this with a grain of salt.) This may have taken the crown as best Mario Kart ever, just based on the little I've played of the single player. The graphics are amazing, the new courses are frigging brilliant, and I'm absolutely loving the new flying and underwater driving additions. The first time I dropped off a pier and into the water (by mistake) I was about to curse my luck when I realized I was driving under water and unbeknownst to me there was a whole other section under the water I didn't know was there.

I know, i know. Way too early to call this the "best MK evar!!1!" but so far, so fucking good.

Wizpig

Say there's 5 people playing in the GAF community.

4 are already doing their GP, they are at the fourth race.
I join a second lobby.
When they are done, are the two lobbies put together automatically?

Top Bottom