• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Berordn

Oh my. That little plane is delightfully overpowered. I won't use it again, but that was fun.

I got my Mii after finishing every 50cc cup, which I did after finishing 150cc. Finishing 150cc only gave me the last character from it (Metal Mario in my case). Gravijah is probably right about it only giving one character at a time.

watershed

Banned
In the preset messages there needs to be a way to say "I'm a total noob, don't hurt me!". Also more people need to play in the bombs only battle community.

midonnay

I can understand why a reviewer said they just turned the 3D off.

Don't get me wrong.... it looks really great....but the racing is so enthralling that its hard to keep the hands still. Many times I have inadvertently moved the screen out of focus while turning the kart and distracted myself during a hard bit.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Note to self, don't play online in the GAF community after playing the game once. I got my ass handed to me. It's been years since I played Mario Kart DS, and I couldn't even time the power start yet. Will practice!

I can understand why a reviewer said they just turned the 3D off.

Don't get me wrong.... it looks really great....but the racing is so enthralling that its hard to keep the hands still. Many times I have inadvertently moved the screen out of focus while turning the kart and distracted myself during a hard bit.

The only track I find myself doing that on is rainbow road with some of the banked corners.

JoeFenix

This game is unbearable to play if you are even the slightest bit competitive. Complete random shitfest, atleast with items on...

Berordn

This game is unbearable to play if you are even the slightest bit competitive. Complete random shitfest, atleast with items on...

If losing at all bothers you, then yeah, stay away. The better player only wins about 70% of the time, the rest of it is a wildcard thanks to items. Which I think is part of the appeal, anyway.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
This game is unbearable to play if you are even the slightest bit competitive.
This is rather the opposite of what I've observed... repeated racing against the same people tends to result in the same standings most of the time, regardless of the items used.

watershed

Banned
Just got creamed in a gaf race. I was second in one race right up till the end where a barrage of items set me back to 4th. Didn't place that well again :(

JoeFenix

This is rather the opposite of what I've observed... repeated racing against the same people tends to result in the same standings most of the time, regardless of the items used.

Yeah... no.

I just got fucked 4 times in a row where the whole race I was in first and got blue shelled on the last stretch of the third lap. Absolutely unbearable.

I like the fact that if I'm gliding and I need to stop for any reason (especially if a Blue Shell is about to knock my ass out), I can simply put on the brakes and come to a complete stop

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I like the fact that if I'm gliding and I need to stop for any reason (especially if a Blue Shell is about to knock my ass out), I can simply put on the brakes and come to a complete stop

Heh, I learned that tidbit of info above lava. It's cool to know, but I really didn't need it then.

Ydahs

Is GAF going to eventually set up an itemless community? Would be good to eventually have one to compliment the other.

Gravijah

I unlocked my mii by completing the 50cc circuit, but it may involve 3 starring every cup as well, not sure.

well, it's definitely not that. i 3 starred/completed the 4 new 50cc cups, same with shell cup, yet i skipped banana and leaf, went straight to lightning and after 3 starring/completing it, i unlocked the mii. maybe it has something to do with lightning/special cups, because i have no idea.

watershed

Banned
Is GAF going to eventually set up an itemless community? Would be good to eventually have one to compliment the other.

I agree with this but right now the Gaf community rarely has more than 3 groups going as is.

Also, I've not seen any new additions to my mii plaza from playing MK7, is it possible it only does that if your mii plaza is low on miis or that its some kind of bug?

iavi

Question Mario-Kart GAF, since I haven't actually seen it said, does 7 play more like 64/DS, or Double Dash/Wii? This information is critical.

Gravijah

Question Mario-Kart GAF, since I haven't actually seen it said, does 7 play more like 64/DS, or Double Dash/Wii? This information is critical.

like a toned down wii with a hint of ds.

edit: also, not being able to join community games in progress sucks. :/

like a toned down wii with a hint of ds.

edit: also, not being able to join community games in progress sucks. :/

I have no idea why but I managed to join a community gp in progress yesterday. Put me in as a spectator for the third race and let me play in the fourth. Usually you can't though.

Gravijah

That... :( I couldn't stand the DD/Wii styled MK, but the 64/DS styled MKs are my favorite kart racers ever. Go figure. Panic mode Nintendo was supposed to be the shit.

different strokes. mkw is my favorite of the mario karts.

I have no idea why but I managed to join a community gp in progress yesterday. Put me in as a spectator for the third race and let me play in the fourth. Usually you can't though.

that's what it should do, but nooooo.

watershed

Banned
I wish you could join a set of 4 races (what do you call it?) in progress and I also wish you could drop out between races. I've never rage quit but sometimes one race is all I'm looking for. Also does the game use computer players to fill out a race if there are only a few players? It should do that too or at least have an option.

Crazy final laps in final races of two straight 150cc cups (both retro) and still managed to get the max point total

One more cup to complete

kitch9

Banned

The Blue Shell is the fucking stupidest thing I've ever come across in a video game, I don't think I'll play this long because of it. I struggle to get to first place in most races I play in and every time I do I seem to get fucked over by one.

The worst for me last night was I managed after 2 laps to grab the lead and within five seconds of doing that I got fucked by a red shell which dropped me to 4th, (I can handle that, fair play.) but I then immediately got hit by a blue shell which must have been launched just as I managed to scrape my ass in front and my kart rolled of a cliff........

I didn't even get over the finish line before the game was telling me I came last.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
There were a few times where I was lining up for the most awesome finish on the home stretch then BAM - knocked off the course. Everyone flew past and i came in last. It's annoying but at the same time completely hilarious - I was holding the 3DS in disbelief. Can only laugh (or you'll throw it at the wall).

web01

Whats the single player like?
Does it still have the shitty rubberband AI and hard to beat 150cc unless you have luck?

That... :( I couldn't stand the DD/Wii styled MK, but the 64/DS styled MKs are my favorite kart racers ever. Go figure. Panic mode Nintendo was supposed to be the shit.
I have to say, I agree with your favorites and least favorites. MK64 and MK DS are my favorite Mario Karts, and the Wii and Gamecube versions are probably my least favorite.

Or I should say - MK64 and MK DS were my favorite Mario Kart games. MK7 is easily my favorite now.

I wish I could delve in a little deeper with that and maybe ease your mind into buying it, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by the game being like MK64, DS, DD, or MKWii. The differences for me is always the course design, and with MK7, the course design is brilliant. Not a bad course in the game, imo. Even with my prior faves, there were always some I didn't really care for. Not here. The gliding and underwater additions are so well implemented because they allow for more intricately designed maps with more branching paths than any other game in the series. Even hidden areas. And the new Rainbow Road map will blow your fucking mind.

True, the blue shell is still present and that still sucks, but otherwise this is easily the best MK experience going. I can't imagine a Mario Kart fan disliking this entry. It's pretty damn awesome.

Hope that helps.

ciccione

The Blue Shell is the fucking stupidest thing I've ever come across in a video game, I don't think I'll play this long because of it. I struggle to get to first place in most races I play in and every time I do I seem to get fucked over by one.

The worst for me last night was I managed after 2 laps to grab the lead and within five seconds of doing that I got fucked by a red shell which dropped me to 4th, (I can handle that, fair play.) but I then immediately got hit by a blue shell which must have been launched just as I managed to scrape my ass in front and my kart rolled of a cliff........

I didn't even get over the finish line before the game was telling me I came last.

It's Mario Kart, mate. It's not for the children. The life is unfair. So MK.

Delio

So what's the best Kart combo so far? I've been moving between the Egg 1/roller wheels and Bruiser/roller wheels. I hear the Soda Jet is better?

PSGames

I'm sorry but I have to laugh at your story. Things like this is what makes Mario Kart so much fun.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
The Bruiser kart I just unlocked is excellent. I'm rolling with Rosalina/Bruiser/Roller, and I just got 3 stars on Mirror Special Cup with little trouble.

So what's the best Kart combo so far? I've been moving between the Egg 1/roller wheels and Bruiser/roller wheels. I hear the Soda Jet is better?
Doesn't the character you're using also matter? I'm thinking there will be optimal kart combinations for each weight class.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Only star requirement I'm aware of is at least one star in every cup for the
golden wheels

It is possible to score zero stars, I managed it yesterday despite winning gold. I was using no items, drifts or trick however.

Top Bottom