• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

It's gonna be funny when some guy makes a Mii named "Amir0x" or "Wario64" or something and starts spamming that glitch in the GAF community games. :)

There should be a separate community thread for this game. I keep checking in to find impressions but it's full of comments about specific online games.
Sorry, it's just strange to play a Nintendo game with an online feature worth talking about.

Berordn

They do exist.

How did you unlock them?

Get a star rank or better on every cup, on every engine class (50, 100, 150 and Mirror). Basically play every cup in the game.

Awesome. Are the stats far superior to all others? I hope not, because I don't want all the karts online to looking the same a week from now.

They're not, thankfully. They seem to be high speed, high off-road mostly. Changes based on your kart build, of course.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's amazing how the friend list went from "Mostly Dead" to "EVERYBODY IS PLAYING MARIO KART!".

EVERYBODY is playing Mario Kart.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Well, there are +350 GAF members in the Mario Kart community, out of +2100 overall members = 17% of GAF is playing Mario Kart already :)

Javier

It's amazing how the friend list went from "Mostly Dead" to "EVERYBODY IS PLAYING MARIO KART!".

EVERYBODY is playing Mario Kart.
Before MK7 I had 5-6, maybe 7 online friends at best at a given time, and that was at its peak.

Last night I got 18 at one point, all of them playing Mario Kart (except for one that was watching Netflix).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really want to buy the game, but i barely have enough time to even play Zelda lately... :(

Will have to wait until the Xmas holiday and ask this game as a gift since i have no idea what i want.

What glitch are you guys taking about? You can tag it in email tags so non-members can't see it. I'm curious >__>

There's a glitch in the Maka Wuhu track similar to ones in earlier Mario Karts, where you basically launch yourself off the track at a certain point and end up spawning way ahead of the pack. I haven't looked into how to do it exactly (because I honestly fear I may give into temptation once or twice), but it basically ruins the track; it's especially bad because there's only one lap, so it gives very little opportunity for anyone else to catch up.

Almost every time I play worldwide matches now there are at least 2-3 people picking it so they can exploit the glitch. It's maddening, honestly.

Berordn

There's a glitch in the Maka Wuhu track similar to ones in earlier Mario Karts, where you basically launch yourself off the track at a certain point and end up spawning way ahead of the pack. I haven't looked into how to do it exactly (because I honestly fear I may give into temptation once or twice), but it basically ruins the track; it's especially bad because there's only one lap, so it gives very little opportunity for anyone else to catch up.

Almost every time I play worldwide matches now there are at least 2-3 people picking it so they can exploit the glitch. It's maddening, honestly.

Ugh, here I thought it had something to do with exploiting the glider at the end. That's terrible, and it's one of my favorite tracks. Guess I'll just be sticking with the GAF community for that, then.

BY2K

Membero Americo

That's why communities are so great. We can make rules against this stuff.

It just blows my mind that something like 1 in 4 people playing this game online (2/8) just want to take advantage of this glitch over and over and over again. It's so sad how many people see that as fun.

I don't see myself doing any online gaming outside of the GAF community from now on.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I accidentally deleted the official Nintendo "mario" community from my favorites list - could someone maybe check its code number for me and post it?

The game is still playable against random opponents, it's just that damn glitch. I haven't even run into any snakers (that I know of) in the 8+ hours I've spent in that mode. Every other track works perfectly fine.

I love playing against GAFfers and strongly prefer it, the only problem is that 75% of the time I try to play I end up spending 10 minutes in the lobby or getting disconnected. I'm in there right now, though...

Berordn

I accidentally deleted the official Nintendo "mario" community from my favorites list - could someone maybe check its code number for me and post it?

Mario Cup: 31-1814-6257-0573
Let's Play!: 33-7111-9830-7925
Peel Out: 35-3432-8592-7103
Bob-omb Blast: 05-2097-9533-2225

The game is still playable against random opponents, it's just that damn glitch. I haven't even run into any snakers (that I know of) in the 8+ hours I've spent in that mode. Every other track works perfectly fine.

I love playing against GAFfers and strongly prefer it, the only problem is that 75% of the time I try to play I end up spending 10 minutes in the lobby or getting disconnected. I'm in there right now, though...

I wish the Community races weren't GP only. Single races would be nice.

Awesome. Are the stats far superior to all others? I hope not, because I don't want all the karts online to looking the same a week from now.

They give a massive boost to
Speed, but you have to pay a price when it comes Handling and Off-Road
I haven't tested them outside of Time Attack. I think I'm still a sponge guy. I mean think about it, wheels made out of sponges... mind blowing.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
They give a massive boost to
Speed, but you have to pay a price when it comes Handling and Off-Road
I haven't tested them outside of Time Attack. I think I'm still a sponge guy. I mean think about it, wheels made out of sponges... mind blowing.

That's what I figured. It'll mostly likely be 'the' wheel to use in Time Attack. Let me know if you unlock the
Gold Kart
too. I wonder if there are multiple ways to unlock them?

I see some people with three stars after their name.

3 Starring seems really easy compared to the Wii version. You don't need max coins, as I've had multiple 3 star cups where I didn't have max coins, and you can even fall off course, etc. It looks like it's more about getting 1st, maybe time spent in 1st place, and overall time. Not sure if coins help, or not.

I was looking up videos of Mario Kart 7 to see what people have been able to pull off in terms of snaking, and once again the comment section doesn't disappoint. This gem in particular stood out:

Is it me or is snaking harder in this game

lol

I was able to play a full cup without getting disconnected (right after a connection mishap with Sir Crumpet), but then...

oi. I need to get better at this game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Has anyone had communications errors with this game and their router? So far this morning, haven't been able to connect to any games online...

So is this game more like Mario Kart DS or more like MKWii? For me the DS version is the best version ever with the missions and all that, I'd like to know what to expect (was kinda disappointed with the Wii version after I played the DS one).

DR2K

Banned
I gave up sex for Mario kart, lol. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I really should play with you guys sometime.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
2011-12-05-383-Nepotism.jpg

jlevel13

I wish the Community races weren't GP only. Single races would be nice.

Yeah, it's a problem. You're waiting for players to fill up a lobby and the game auto-starts with just 2 or 3 racers and your stuck with them for the next 10-15 minutes. The option to just set up single races would be much better, especially since people don't seem to get dumped into a GP once it has started. It kind of makes the communities feel useless compared to just jumping into worldwide. Odds seem to favor either too much time wasted waiting for a lobby to fill up or stuck in a tiny race for too long if somebody starts the race to early or it auto-starts.The communities feature is a great idea, but just not that well implemented. Simply adding in the ability to text chat while waiting for a lobby to fill up would have helped ease the pain a lot.

Has anyone had communications errors with this game and their router? So far this morning, haven't been able to connect to any games online...

Have you been able to connect before? Lots of people who have perfectly good connections have been getting errors, but it could be an issue with your connection in part or in whole.

So is this game more like Mario Kart DS or more like MKWii? For me the DS version is the best version ever with the missions and all that, I'd like to know what to expect (was kinda disappointed with the Wii version after I played the DS one).

There aren't missions in MK7, and the general chaos has been toned down from MKWii. It's not really like one or the other, it uses some elements of both. The drifting system is from MKWii, the coins are from the original (and Super Circuit), and there's a good selection of retro tracks.

I strongly prefer this to MKWii for a lot of reasons, but physics is the big one. The karts in MK7 feel like they have some weight to them and you feel like you're actually driving on the track rather than floating above it. There's also a much higher emphasis placed on drifting and big, sweeping turns in MK7. MKWii had a bunch of courses that featured sharp, blind turns and obstacles all over the track; MK7 feels a bit slower and more deliberate.

jlevel13

It was impossible for me to connect to games until I put my 3DS into DMZ (I have a belkin router for whatever that's worth). After that it has worked mostly fine.

Bought MK7 yesterday..

It's awesome, and very nice in 3D. I like that they toned down the depth in order to make movement with the 3D on more manageable.

It looks and plays excellent, need to try online today though.

Berordn

It's like a strange cross between the two. Course design and items seem to take more inspiration from MKDS, and it's balanced a bit better too thanks to there being fewer characters on a given course. It takes a few mechanics from the Wii version, such as the timed powersliding and the tricks as well. It's missing a lot of the DS's single-player features though, like single-player VS. mode and Missions, focusing on the online mode instead.

it's...it's incredible
:O

It's worth the entry price alone.

Top Bottom