• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm probably lttp on this but anyone notice how they layered the menu music it's so fucking neat, you hit single player and you get a base tune, and then when you choose a 'cc' rating the piano then kicks in, and then when you get to the cup selection screen the drums are added. love it!

tsab

please add me (and in the op's list if possible)

1118-0238-8783 tsab

will add all of you later when I get back home.

edit: I just received the game yesterday. Do I get anything if I get 3 stars in every cup and difficulty? (haven't played online yet)

Good game there Bowie! You guys will be seeing me online later (I'm in the GAF community and my FC is 4682, 8495, 2913). Looking forward to kicking some arse :D

I swear it opened up when I tried to join a community room and two other were already playing. I got to watch their match before I could join in on the next match. At first I thought my eyes were playing with me and I accidentally chose the normal worldwide option, but that was not the case.

Killer

Banned
storafötter;33252397 said:
I swear it opened up when I tried to join a community room and two other were already playing. I got to watch their match before I could join in on the next match. At first I thought my eyes were playing with me and I accidentally chose the normal worldwide option, but that was not the case.

Yeah it happens randomly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
storafötter;33252397 said:

I've seen that as well. Guess what happened? Communication error.

Insaniac

Sooo guys, I really like the gliding, but other than giving you the ability to reach shortcuts/cut some corners, is there any trick to getting the most out of it? Is staying airborne longer going to give you an advantage or should you just get back on the ground asap?

I'm probably lttp on this but anyone notice how they layered the menu music it's so fucking neat, you hit single player and you get a base tune, and then when you choose a 'cc' rating the piano then kicks in, and then when you get to the cup selection screen the drums are added. love it!
Yeah man, it's awesome.

Also, has anyone else noticed how the music for each track changes when you take the lead? It's a cool touch.

By the way, I changed the name of my Mii to "DarkestRed" so everyone on GAF could know exactly who they're slaughtering. That shouldn't affect my points or anything, right?

Insaniac

Yeah man, it's awesome.

Also, has anyone else noticed how the music for each track changes when you take the lead? It's a cool touch.

By the way, I changed the name of my Mii to "DarkestRed" so everyone on GAF could know exactly who they're slaughtering. That shouldn't affect my points or anything, right?

does the music track change? I swore i was going crazy

edit: and no it shouldn't. I did the same thing, didn't affect it

Chorazin

I think I finally have a decent combo with Koopa Trooper, Dasher B, Red Monster tires and the Paraglider (since that's the only glider I unlocked.) Suprising how nice the Red Monster tires are, speedy and great off road.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah man, it's awesome.

Yeah I love it. It's like you get rewarded a something special for taking the lead.

I think I finally have a decent combo with Koopa Trooper, Dasher B, Red Monster tires and the Paraglider (since that's the only glider I unlocked.) Suprising how nice the Red Monster tires are, speedy and great off road.

I've discovered the Red Monster tires are where it's at. I still haven't unlocked any other gliders yet. :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what's the easiest/fastiest way to add the 'tard codes to the DS?

I started inputting one, got furious and stopped when I looked back at the code screen someone quoted. It seems like I have to click through about 3 screens just for 1 code. Is there not even a way to bulk input them? SO STUPID.

Sooo guys, I really like the gliding, but other than giving you the ability to reach shortcuts/cut some corners, is there any trick to getting the most out of it? Is staying airborne longer going to give you an advantage or should you just get back on the ground asap?

I go for airtime, mainly because airtime is RAD. however, sharply up you will slow down, and going down you speed up. I think it's something like figuring out the perfect launch/max glide. I think a perfect glide is faster that going as quickly as possible to the ground then driving. That's only gut feeling though. Definitely feels faster on the mario circuit where you can catch some wind from the pipes to extend glide.

also, the glider shortcut on daisy hills is ace (and hard to find)

Are the ghosts you receive via spotpass even from real people? :I
Because they are suspiciously slow. I usually beat the best guy with a 20 second lead and I'm really not even trying all that hard.

BTW: With the new system update, StreetPass Plaza now automatically adds all of the Miis that are part of any community you add in Mario Kart 7!

These Miis do not come with puzzle pieces and cannot be used in StreetPass Quest 1 or 2 though.

Everyone in the GAF community now has my Mii (You'll see a somewhat goofy looking Mii called "Deanie!" inside your plaza if you are part of one of the GAF communities now!)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
BTW: With the new system update, StreetPass Plaza now automatically adds all of the Miis that are part of any community you add in Mario Kart 7!
So if I keep changing my Mii you'll keep getting new ones.

I have still yet to receive the red monster tyres. Hopefully when I hit the 2500 mark...

The one thing I have to keep telling myself in MK online to avoid complete meltdowns:

"The blue shell giveth and the blue shell taketh away."

We need more Mario Kart proverbs.

I've discovered the Red Monster tires are where it's at. I still haven't unlocked any other gliders yet. :(
Red monster tires are my favorite as well. I'm pretty satisfied with my current setup. Shy Guy + Red Monster tires + Zucchini + Paraglider.

Still getting connection errors 003-4099.

HELP!

That has been my daily life when playing Mario Kart these days. Before the American launch it was stable :(. I love the diversity with new people, but the game becomes unplayable for me.

I haven't gotten to dodge blue shells yet which was very easy to do it in Double Dash. It seems a bit harder with timing here but I suppose I will give it a better try next time. In regards using items there are plenty of tactics and strategy involved in using them too. Even if most people spam them it can be handy to save them for certain moments like mushrooms or stars (for avoiding to drive slow on terrain, or lightning immunity). I feel like lightning has been nerfed since the original game as the speed is not that crazy as it used to be. So it is more like an immunity or sabotage item than speed.
I notice that I should pay more attention to the items people are getting on the touch screen as that gives you give you an idea of when or how you should use your items.

Sinthetic

Guys I have had a very stable online experience, but I did get some errors, they went away completely after turning the system off and back on again, I assume you have tried that? Just throwing the suggestion out there.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yahoo, I won my first Community championship, in the Mario Cup! :D
This game is so addictive online. It cannot be GOTY...it could only be GOTYs. :D

Red monster tires are my favorite as well. I'm pretty satisfied with my current setup. Shy Guy + Red Monster tires + Zucchini + Paraglider.

I think Mushroom tires are the way to go. They are slightly slower than the Red Monster tires but accelerate faster. And they have waaay better handling than the Monster Tires. Don't care about off-road.

I think Mushroom tires are the way to go. They are slightly slower than the Red Monster tires but accelerate faster. And they have waaay better handling than the Monster Tires. Don't care about off-road.
Hmm... I don't think I've unlocked those yet. I'm perfectly fine with the handling of the Red Monster tires so that isn't really an issue, but a boost to acceleration is always a big help.

So how does this game compare to other games in the series, particularly MKDS?
Personally I think this is the best Mario Kart in the series. In terms of polish and presentation there isn't much to argue about --- the game looks fantastic, runs at a buttery smooth 60 fps, and has tons of interesting visual variety in the tracks, character models, and karts. The 3D effect is also surprisingly nice, I haven't turned it off at all during my time with the game.

The new tracks are almost all fantastic. Even the tracks that I didn't like at first have grown on me for the most part, and the consistency from one to the next is particularly impressive. There is a great deal of variety but the core gameplay is solid regardless of the track. In general the width of the tracks has been reduced in comparision to the Wii tracks (thankfully) and there are a good number of short-cuts and alternate routes strewn throughout the layouts. The retro tracks are also very well done, especially the SNES and GBA ones. My only complaint regarding the tracks is the DS selection --- I think they could have done better. Still, all the retro tracks that were selected are quality.

Vehicle customization is fairly simple but remains interesting thanks to the multitude of potentially viable options. I haven't really noticed many trends in my online races regarding a specific kart, character, or set of tires, which is exactly how it should be.

In terms of gameplay I find MK7 to be one of the best in the series with regards to skill/luck ratio. There are still numerous victories that occur based on "right place at the right time" item selection (particularly with blue shells) but that isn't really anything new for the series. In my experience the best racers will still usually rise to the top, and "fluke" victories are not a very common occurrence. The item chaos has been toned down since MK Wii (this is also helped by the reduction in player count from 12 to 8) and there aren't really any items that feel completely unbalanced. The addition of coins is also a huge plus as this adds another interesting skill-based element to the races.

Drifting doesn't require as much skill as it did in MK DS but I find it to be much more enjoyable. The drifting model is essentially taken straight from the Wii version, so snaking is all but nerfed out of existence and the two boosts (blue and red) that you get from drifting are based solely on how long you drift and how hard you turn into the drift. Harder drifts get you the boosts faster, in other words.

The game modes are fairly bare bones but I don't imagine most people will mind that. The only mode I really think the game is missing is a single race option --- as of right now your only choice for playing a particular track is going through it in a cup.

Online is much better than I expected but still has room for improvement. Communities are typically great fun (as is evidenced by half the posts in this thread) but the lack of control within them is somewhat disappointing. Sometimes it's hard to find a game with enough players and there are no other standard race options besides a full four race GP. Still, the netcode is solid and the game is a blast to play online, either in the community or against random players (for when GAF is beating you too badly).

So yeah, in summary I think this game is a solid win for Nintendo and the 3DS. I don't see myself dropping this one from my rotation any time soon.

mooooose

This game has much better drifting than Wii. It's a good compromise between DS and Wii and it works out well. In Wii it was way more based on time but this is based on a harder drift, so on very tight turns or even semi straights you can get a boost but you can't just snake down the track like DS.

It's pretty good. It engages me enough to not be bored but lets me just go straight on many straight aways, not there are a lot in this game, which is also awesome.

The game modes are fairly bare bones but I don't imagine most people will mind that. The only mode I really think the game is missing is a single race option --- as of right now your only choice for playing a particular track is going through it in a cup.
I kind of mind. Communities are amazing but I'm not always near an internet connection, and playing this on my own is kind of boring. Three starring cups with no real clear objective and unlocking parts with a certain amount coins isn't very compelling.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
All friendcodes posted so far. If I've missed anyone out I do apologise.
Code:
MasterShotgun			4167-4508-3223
Anasui Kishibe			0860-3265-3250
gerudoman			2750-1278-9624
Doctor West			3179-6187-9498
Kaijima				5327-0938-7455
King_Moc			1590-4670-0964
hatchx				4124-4998-1885
Keyouta				4425-1491-4842
AkimbO_Arcana			3394-3575-4066
Mistle				1547-5212-4670
Ydahs				4940-5532-2417
Chopper				3136-6553-7968
Mat C				1848-2006-2664
storafötter			2062-9139-2362
BGBW				1934-0650-4686
Sh0k				0259-0473-3378
JacksUsername			1805-2171-5625
Synless				2105-8656-8489
Jinfash				4725-7997-9310
Keyouta				4425-1491-4842
Annoying Old Party Man		3050-7627-0124
Kerub				3909-7646-1006
MatthewB92			4167-4579-4554
Anabuhabkuss			2020-0001-0226
Ysiadmihi			4167-4495-4559
Jubbly				5198-2422-9383
radioheadrule83			2234-7196-8925
SmokyDave			5241-2165-7096
Galang				3351-4299-6706
tinabina			3480-2893-5736
dock				2750-1082-7274
Len1978				4468-1145-0340
lazybones18			1203-9216-5732
BY2K				2535-3616-8880
BramVD				0559-6868-2549
Murrah				2750-1096-5592
farscape82			4382-1959-3126
QuantumBro			1375-7353-3948
KaYotiX				0087-2303-7179
AndrewDean84xX			0946-2259-9774
Scum				4253-3479-0555
EloquentM			2363-5641-1906
Carlisle			0259-0299-7410
Count Dookkake			0731-4767-6497
DoctorWho			1375-7203-5837
pootle				2105-8640-4225
Darko				0302-0119-5598
InsaneZero			1332-7703-1235
Zee-Row				3909-7518-1895
RagnarokX			2148-8471-6386
The Main Event			0130-1810-9280
Saint Gregory			4682-8463-9654
Mpl90				5284-1397-8364
gah. started chewing through this list. it's a mission to add names.

anyway

catfish 1461-6520-9969

This game has much better drifting than Wii. It's a good compromise between DS and Wii and it works out well. In Wii it was way more based on time but this is based on a harder drift, so on very tight turns or even semi straights you can get a boost but you can't just snake down the track like DS.

It's pretty good. It engages me enough to not be bored but lets me just go straight on many straight aways, not there are a lot in this game, which is also awesome.
Oh okay, thanks for the clarification. I didn't spend much time with the Wii version so I was mostly going on my own ancient impressions and what I've heard about the issue from reviews and such.

I kind of mind. Communities are amazing but I'm not always near an internet connection, and playing this on my own is kind of boring. Three starring cups with no real clear objective and unlocking parts with a certain amount coins isn't very compelling.
I agree that it would be nice to have more to do but this is really all I need. I love playing through the cups.

Top Bottom