• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

man i'm getting crazy better with the Bumble V. Great speed and maneuverability, with lightning quick steering. This baby's gonna be my kart of choice for a while

So I've added the GAF community to my favorites. If I'm ready to get my butt kicked by GAF, do I just join the lobby? I don't need to add everyone's friend codes, correct? Anything I need to know?

Chillin' in the lobby. I'm EYE.

I should be able to pick my character and kart stuff while waiting, so I don't feel rushed when the game starts.

Which modes give you coins, BTW? And how many do you need to unlock everything? I think I'm at around the low 1000s right now.

You need something like 5,000 to get everything. It's ridiculous grinding on the level of Call of Duty. My only real negative about the game.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm getting on now, can't wait :)

See you guys in a bit, hopefully it is a bit more active tonight.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
stopping to let the blue shell hit second place too is fair game, right? heheh.

Based on my observations -- which may be wrong -- the blue shell continues to track whoever was in first when the shell was launched, even if they drop to 2nd or 3rd.

That, or it "locks on" at a certain point and placement doesn't matter after that point.

Anyone know which is true? I ask as I've seen it hit the second place player a few times, but always after the 1st place player had slipped to second.

Huff

Banned
Based on my observations -- which may be wrong -- the blue shell continues to track whoever was in first when the shell was launched, even if they drop to 2nd or 3rd.

That, or it "locks on" at a certain point and placement doesn't matter after that point.

Anyone know which is true? I ask as I've seen it hit the second place player a few times, but always after the 1st place player had slipped to second.

It's at a certain point in time/distance after firing.

Dropping back to 2nd will work unless it's close enough to actually somehow lock onto you.

Gravijah

it locks on at a certain point, iirc, and that's when you can't do it

btw, i meant slowing down so that the blast hits me AND second place

Tuck

Got the game. Lots of fun. 3D is great. Tracks are fun, and I like the glider. I miss the bikes though. Blue shell still sucks.

Tried out an online match - was a pretty nice experience, surprisingly.

waicol

Banned
It's nice to be able to suspend the game while in online mode (except in race lol), easy way to to add Community codes and check this thread.

dwu8991

Banned
The lucky 7 item is pretty stupid. But it's neat so I can see it being a mainstay.

The fire flower is awesome. Reminds you of SMB goodness. Pretty sure the ice flower is next.

The racoon tail is handy against shells! Not much of an attacking option unless you can get really close.

The 7 weapon is dumb because you have to concentrate while using it. It becomes a distraction when you should just be getting help.

The tanooki tail is a great addition though. Takes skill to use but gives guys near the front both an attack and defense.

Berordn

The fire flower is awesome. Reminds you of SMB goodness. Pretty sure the ice flower is next.

How could they make the ice flower different enough from the fire flower to justify its inclusion? How would they keep freezing your opponents from being overpowered?

So the game says there are 2 groups playing in NeoGAF right now. If I'm in a lobby alone, will the game eventually put me into one of those groups when they're finished? Or do I have to keep entering and exiting, hoping to join their room when it finally frees up?

How could they make the ice flower different enough from the fire flower to justify its inclusion? How would they keep freezing your opponents from being overpowered?

freezing lasts one fraction of a second, there you go

and you shouldn't be able to get hit while gliding. It sucks :/

Berordn

freezing lasts one fraction of a second, there you go

and you shouldn't be able to get hit while gliding. It sucks :/

But then that ruins the point of raining icy torment on those who dare to make a move on your position :|

I agree with getting hit while gliding. How do those red shells fly like that anyway?

Skiesofwonder

So the game says there are 2 groups playing in NeoGAF right now. If I'm in a lobby alone, will the game eventually put me into one of those groups when they're finished? Or do I have to keep entering and exiting, hoping to join their room when it finally frees up?

Most likely entering and exiting.

Huff

Banned

If you build it they will come

Berordn

Theres no stat counting? WTF?

There is, click settings in the Mario Kart Channel.

Battle has no elimination mode? WTF

Yeah, there isn't. Keeps it from being boring when playing online, since you're not just sitting around in spectator mode.

No shine runners? WTF

Coin Runners is similar. Shine Runners was removed in MKWii and Coin Runners was tweaked from that to be a little more like Shine Runners.

There is, click settings in the Mario Kart Channel.

Yeah, there isn't. Keeps it from being boring when playing online, since you're not just sitting around in spectator mode.

Coin Runners is similar. Shine Runners was removed in MKWii and Coin Runners was tweaked from that to be a little more like Shine Runners.

Yeah, I saw the ones in the channel, but the Wii stats had much more stuff in it.

And I still think every game should have a Smash Bros style stat tracker.

I agree for online this way is better, but for single player against the CPU? Elimination mode in the DS battle was awesome. And now the balloons dont really have a point.

Shine runners was awesome. As was the GC bomb mode.

I dont get why Nintendo cant keep existing features and add stuff on top of it. Why take stuff away?

Skiesofwonder

Yeah. That's what it took to join a lobby that I'm in with six people. Seems kinda janky that there could be six people in six individual lobbies, waiting for a game, and the system wouldn't put them all together.

PS in your lobby!

Awesome what's you tag?

Edit: oh wow lighting and blue turtle last lap. Not sure how I pulled that one off...

Berordn

Yeah, I saw the ones in the channel, but the Wii stats had much more stuff in it.

I don't remember what the Wii one had other than favorite character, so I can't comment on that. I already know I've spent too much time as Rosalina in both anyway.

And I still think every game should have a Smash Bros style stat tracker.

Agreed.

I agree for online this way is better, but for single player against the CPU? Elimination mode in the DS battle was awesome. And now the balloons dont really have a point.

Losing all your balloons lowers your score, survival is still important here. I'd have liked elimination mode as an option, but I'm happy with what we got and more concerned about how little I care for all the battle arenas.

Shine runners was awesome. As was the GC bomb mode.

No argument here.

I dont get why Nintendo cant keep existing features and add stuff on top of it. Why take stuff away?

The best I can think of is that they like to give each game its own flavor. MKWii will be the one with Bikes, MK7 will have customization and kites, Double Dash had two characters and special items, etc. I don't like that I still have to pop MKDS in for elimination mode, but it does make me keep it around.

It'll probably come via Mario Kart Channel.

Doubt it. They're not going to add boss battles and cool short little missions. It'll just be "beat x:xx on x!" shit.

MKDS was my most played single player Mario Kart. I really like 7 but it feels light on single player content. Multi is pretty much all I have to play now.

Skiesofwonder

Wow I got hit twice with lighting while trying to cross the off-road gap (with triple mushrooms) in Kalimari Dessert after the second train tracks. FML

Edit: sorry for DP

Mission Mode was fuck awesome in Mario Kart DS and yet it's been reduced to a footnote of history.

Oh God, how could I forget. I think I spent more time in that mode + battle (alone) than in the actual racing.

Now Im sad.

Losing all your balloons lowers your score, survival is still important here. I'd have liked elimination mode as an option, but I'm happy with what we got and more concerned about how little I care for all the battle arenas.

Thats the thing, how many seconds of programming would it have taken to make elimination an option?

The best I can think of is that they like to give each game its own flavor. MKWii will be the one with Bikes, MK7 will have customization and kites, Double Dash had two characters and special items, etc. I don't like that I still have to pop MKDS in for elimination mode, but it does make me keep it around.

Bikes/double/gliding make sense as game exclusive, but simple options? They should build on it every time.

Top Bottom