• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Why am I always put with Japanese people when playing worldwide, and why are they all playing Metal Mario?

Kazerei

Banned
Lightning is the worst item in the MK series. It hits everyone, and takes away their items, and makes them small. Fuck it.

Gravijah

rowdy racer is my current mk7 title. that's definitely meeee~

Why am I always put with Japanese people when playing worldwide, and why are they all playing Metal Mario?

'cause there are a lot of japanese players and it's daytime there.

Madao

Hm, so I haven't played this game nearly as much as some of you guys, but here's a few of my issues with this game:

1. Drifting: I miss the way MKDS did it. Sometimes I'll try to take advantage of a not so sharp turn but I end up just normal drifting (i.e. no speed boost). As a result of this, I mentally think "maybe if I just turn sharper" and try to do that but usually by then I'm nearing the point where I'm about to just drive into the grass and I'm like "oh shit, stop steering left!" I feel like it's something I'll eventually get used to/I need to break this mentality, but as of right now it's an annoyance to me.
2. Item abuse: Never played MK Wii and MKDS is the only Mario Kart I've played. Item use in MKDS never seemed too annoying but MK7 is definitely a step up from MKDS in terms of how often certain items get spammed/the succession of which they get used. I won't say much, but I don't think I've ever lost a lead in MKDS due to item spam but in MK7 I've definitely gone from first to 5th-ish just because the items wouldn't stop coming.
3. Single track racing with 7 other comps: So unless I'm blind, I can't seem to find it. Pretty bizarre they took it out, considering MKDS had it.
4. Showing lap/track completion times: MKDS also had this (when playing Grand Prixs) but it's visibly absent from MK7. I'll admit this is a minor complaint, but if the number of starts I get for a Prix depends on time it would be nice to have an estimate as to how much faster I should be blasting through the tracks to get more stars.
5. Black/white screens of loading: Another nitpick, but a personal annoyance nonetheless :p

Otherwise it's a fun, extremely clean-looking game nonetheless. I just need more time to play it :S

1. they changed it to eliminate snaking since many people hate that.
2. MKWii was worse. rest assured they're aware of it.
3. that's something i'm going to really miss. i used that mode to play all 32 tracks consecutively.
4. that sucks. defeats the purpose of 2 screens.
5. i didn't even notice.

I wish you could change the control layout, using A to accelerate feels terrible and cramps my hands. It should be B to accelerate and Y to fire weapons. I've just ordered a slide pad attachment simply because I only managed one race before my hands cramped up. I don't know why but the 3DS feels far less comfortable to use than the DSi, despite similar dimensions.

I understand that the Japanese used to map the buttons the wrong way around on the PS1 too. Noobs.

Gravijah

I wish you could change the control layout, using A to accelerate feels terrible and cramps my hands. It should be B to accelerate and Y to fire weapons. I've just ordered a slide pad attachment simply because I only managed one race before my hands cramped up. I don't know why but the 3DS feels far less comfortable to use than the DSi, despite similar dimensions.

I understand that the Japanese used to map the buttons the wrong way around on the PS1 too. Noobs.

do you use L for weapons?

So, I don't know if this makes sense, but I found the Mario kart wii to be very slow, even at 150cc. SNES was at a good speed, and n64 felt fast, ds was ok, but Mario kart wii felt so slow when racing. Is this faster than the wii version? Does anyone else get what I am talking about when I say Mario kart wii was a very slow racer?

Gravijah

So, I don't know if this makes sense, but I found the Mario kart wii to be very slow, even at 150cc. SNES was at a good speed, and n64 felt fast, ds was ok, but Mario kart wii felt so slow when racing. Is this faster than the wii version? Does anyone else get what I am talking about when I say Mario kart wii was a very slow racer?

weird, i thought mkw was the fastest feeling of all the recent games. mk7 definitely feels slower than it, to me, at least. though it feels faster than mkds.

MooMoo

1. they changed it to eliminate snaking since many people hate that.
2. MKWii was worse. rest assured they're aware of it.
3. that's something i'm going to really miss. i used that mode to play all 32 tracks consecutively.
4. that sucks. defeats the purpose of 2 screens.
5. i didn't even notice.
Yeah, I totally understand why they changed the drift mechanics :p Currently in a love-hate relationship with how it's like now. I popped in MKDS just for nostalgia's sake and it made me really appreciate how clean-looking MK7 is.

watershed

Banned
The 3ds has too many good games right now. There's streetpass and spotpass ghost data I wanna race in MK7 but then I got some 3D Land streetpass ghost times today too so I wanna beat those, then there's pushmo just asking to be played. Why do you do this Nintendo?!

backlot

Items seem just as bad in MK7 to me, except without a bike it's a lot more difficult to put distance between you and the rest of the pack so you actually end up getting nailed by more shit.

The lack of that thundercloud item makes MK7 better by default.

Gravijah

The lack of that thundercloud item makes MK7 better by default.

except in its place is the tanooki tail. THANKS FOR NOTHING, GAME.

honestly though, i find that it's a bit too easy for first place in this game. once you're out in front, it gets harder for people to catch up unless you get blue shelled. even then, you can usually eat one.

Teknoman

Drift boost works by just drifting long enough into a turn right? I'm not seeing a difference between holding it or doing the old left-right method.

MooMoo

Drift boost works by just drifting long enough into a turn right? I'm not seeing a difference between holding it or doing the old left-right method.
Yeah, no need to do the left/right method. In any case, the manual says the same thing (i.e. no need to do left/right).

PlebeGames

Neo Member
You mean to get blue and red sparks? No need to mash left and right. Just turn in the direction of the power-slide and the sparks build up.

I know, I used "mashing" because that's the best descriptor for what I do with my thumb. I know I'm using more force than necessary, I just can't seem to help it. Anyways, the repeated left to right motion is somehow hurting my thumb and I can't play for extended periods of time without having to resort to some ridiculous finger gymnastics.

Great game though.

EDIT: I get it now, yes I realize there is no need to go left to right for power sliding. Just holding left, then right, then left, ect. is really straining my hand. Feels bad man

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My first person view is bugged.
Anyone else.

I can't go a full race without the kart automatically veering to the left or right.
It's not the slide pad either as it will go perfectly straight when I switch to third person.

My first person view is bugged.
Anyone else.

I can't go a full race without the kart automatically veering to the left or right.
It's not the slide pad either as it will go perfectly straight when I switch to third person.

First person view also activates gyro controls. You need to go into the options (in the Channel, I think?) and turn them off.

Jaroof

Just got this game tonight..
First race in, and it did exactly what I hate about this series:
I started off doing good, passing up all of the computers to make it to first place in the second lap. I maintain first place until the end of the third lap. Literally a second away from finishing, a blue shell hits me, knocking me into second place. Not a huge loss, but damn.
Scenarios like that are so silly to me.. it's why I stopped liking Mario Kart.
But eh.. not here to shit up this thread. Glad everyone else is enjoying it. :)
I'll keep trying it, though.

kitch9

Banned
I started off doing good, passing up all of the computers to make it to first place in the second lap. I maintain first place until the end of the third lap. Literally a second away from finishing, a blue shell hits me, knocking me into second place. Not a huge loss, but damn.

I don't think the game likes me, everytime I get my nose in front it gives somebody else a blue shell to the point its getting a little ridiculous.

The best one last night was I was two corners from the finish and I managed to squeak in front only to be blue shelled, then green shelled by the dude rollin' with 3 round his Kart, then lightening and ran over by the dude in 7th......

Every damn time I get anywhere near the front.....Shit like this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

There are no-item communities, or stuff like, banana only you can try.

Picking this up tomorrow, can't wait to try it out.

Are there people in the GAF communities pretty regularly? I'll probably be able to play around 11, if I just hop on the 150cc All Items community will there probably be people playing or do you have to watch the thread to get an idea of when games are going on?

Picking this up tomorrow, can't wait to try it out.

Are there people in the GAF communities pretty regularly? I'll probably be able to play around 11, if I just hop on the 150cc All Items community will there probably be people playing or do you have to watch the thread to get an idea of when games are going on?

Seems like there are some slow periods, but I imagine that will change once more people get the game. Right now, the community has 400 something people in it, but that will probably be in the thousands by the time Christmas roles around with people in various time zones.

Boken

Banned
The thing to remember about statistics is that given enough games, luck is not a factor.

The thing to remember about psychology is that people are more likely to remember bad luck, not their good luck.

In conclusion - just drive better.

The thing to remember about psychology is that people are more likely to remember bad luck, not their good luck.
This is because bad luck in Mario Kart is like watching a train wreck right before your eyes. It's horrible, but you can't stop watching.

Good luck you just see your character do a little dance and move on.

Nintendo are the biggest trolls ever.
I was so excited to play as my badass black-dressed fullbearded Mii and what have they done?
They gave mii the voice of a 10 year old helium-addicted hermaphrodite.
yippieeeee
I swear, EAD's office must be full of Trollolols.

it's soo cute though ^^

Top Bottom