• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Gravijah

what's with the different track names, even amongst english speaking countries? i was talking to an australian buddy, and over there music park=melody motorway.

Rezbit

what's with the different track names, even amongst english speaking countries? i was talking to an australian buddy, and over there music park=melody motorway.

Wow that is weird. Melody Motorway is way better just quietly. Also I was wondering before about you guys calling a kart the 'zucchini', which I can only surmise is our 'gherkin' lol.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This game's soundtrack is possibly worse than the Wii one.
Seriously, MK music hasn't been nice since the Super Famicom og, but this is just cringeworthy.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Picking this up tomorrow, can't wait to try it out.

Are there people in the GAF communities pretty regularly? I'll probably be able to play around 11, if I just hop on the 150cc All Items community will there probably be people playing or do you have to watch the thread to get an idea of when games are going on?

11 what? Pacific, GMT, CET.. AM/PM?

Anyway there's always people on. But I suggest you practice a bit before racing gaffers, they're ruthless

11 what? Pacific, GMT, CET.. AM/PM?

Anyway there's always people on. But I suggest you practice a bit before racing gaffers, they're ruthless

Haha, sorry, totally forgot people would be in different time zones. I'm Pacific.

I'm going to hop online first thing and if I get my ass kicked too much I'll switch over to single player. I was always pretty good at the GC and DS Mario Karts against my friends so I'm excited to see how I do against GAFfers. Expecting to get my ass kicked at first just because I won't know the courses, hopefully I'll get decent though.

Do you get to choose a username just for MK or does it just go by your system name?

Grampasso

Just got this game tonight..
First race in, and it did exactly what I hate about this series:
I started off doing good, passing up all of the computers to make it to first place in the second lap. I maintain first place until the end of the third lap. Literally a second away from finishing, a blue shell hits me, knocking me into second place. Not a huge loss, but damn.
Scenarios like that are so silly to me.. it's why I stopped liking Mario Kart.
But eh.. not here to shit up this thread. Glad everyone else is enjoying it. :)
I'll keep trying it, though.

TBH, if you're really good you can easily outdo these problem, in my first run on the new tracks I got hit by 2 blueshells and 1 lightning and still I ended up first (at least if you're racing against the CPU).

leng jai

Alright got a Zelda 3DS, Mario Kart 7 and 3D Land. Haven't played a MK game seriously since N64, what do I need to know? Is snaking still essential?

y2dvd

Still trying to figure out how to power slide efficiently in this game. It seems the sharper the turn, the faster power boost activates? It makes me think about whether I wanna approach usually a small turn wide so I can be sure to power boost or just cut the turn as much as possible and not get the power boost.

Still trying to figure out how to power slide efficiently in this game. It seems the sharper the turn, the faster power boost activates? It makes me think about whether I wanna approach usually a small turn wide so I can be sure to power boost or just cut the turn as much as possible and not get the power boost.
I think the ideal scenario for most turns is cutting it as hard as you can while still making sure you have enough time to get the boost. It's the best of both worlds.

Wolfe

So the other day I noticed the bug on Maka Wuhu where you can dive off the track in a specific location and get dropped down way ahead (while reading this thread) and figure I'll just try avoiding the track online. Then today I jump online for a bit and half the people in the game pick that level, and sure enough it gets chosen. Then while racing literally everyone else in the race with me exploited the bug, kinda lame.

Sinthetic

So the other day I noticed the bug on Maka Wuhu where you can dive off the track in a specific location and get dropped down way ahead (while reading this thread) and figure I'll just try avoiding the track online. Then today I jump online for a bit and half the people in the game pick that level, and sure enough it gets chosen. Then while racing literally everyone else in the race with me exploited the bug, kinda lame.

I was way in front in the race for the first section and then all of a sudden, I'm 4th. I had to check around me to see if I was missing something. Still managed 2nd even if there were cheating bastards in the race with me.

Really? Damn, and I like that track too...

Phatcorns

Sure it's been covered in the thread already, but what do the stars mean in grand prix and how to get more (because naturally I must have more)

backlot

Sure it's been covered in the thread already, but what do the stars mean in grand prix and how to get more (because naturally I must have more)

The stars are a rating of how you did in the Grand Prix. I found that to get 3 stars you pretty much have to be in first almost the whole time in every race.

Berordn

Don't hit walls or bananas, avoid shells whenever possible, get shortcuts if you can, don't drive on the grass for long if you don't have an off-road kart.

KooPaL

On a side note, I must be really dumb or the Friend list implemented on the 3ds suuuucks! Does that mean I'd have to add all the people one by one and hope that they add me back too?

Berordn

On a side note, I must be really dumb or the Friend list implemented on the 3ds suuuucks! Does that mean I'd have to add all the people one by one and hope that they add me back too?

Yeah, it's a hybrid of the Wii's friend codes and a decent implementation which actually shows what they're doing. With MK7's communities you don't have to go through that whole process at least (which I've also not done just for that reason).

Shadybiz

Just picked this up yesterday and I'm loving it.

BUT: I'm a total noob at Nintendo online stuff. Where do I find my friend code? I read that you get it within MK7, but I'm not sure where.

Berordn

BUT: I'm a total noob at Nintendo online stuff. Where do I find my friend code? I read that you get it within MK7, but I'm not sure where.

You get it on the home screen, the orange face icon at the top of the menu. It's only one code per DS this time, not per game.

If you go to the 3DS home menu click on the orange smiley face and it should be listed there. That's also where you add friend codes.

Dr Prob

Banned
except in its place is the tanooki tail. THANKS FOR NOTHING, GAME.

Oh gawd, the Tanooki Tail. In a GAF room last night we were in a GP consisting mostly of sandbagging tracks. What do I get from the last sets of item boxes? Tails, Bloopers, fuck, dead last.

ZibJN.jpg

Huff

Banned

I'd say just ignore the Friend Codes for this game and just use the community.

Berordn

Is it just me or is 150cc much more difficult (see: cheap) this time around?

edit: compared to all the previous games

I don't know about cheap, but the CPU is much better about shortcuts and catching up than they've ever been before. They don't seem to make as many of the usual driving mistakes when they're on-screen either.

Morokh

Is it just me or is 150cc much more difficult (see: cheap) this time around?

edit: compared to all the previous games

Better AI in terms of driving.

Not as crazy Item raping than the Wii version.

It ends up being slightly harder that way, but way less frustrating.

Top Bottom